GT4 WRS Week 76 : "Snake in the Valley"

• Thread starter Tedehur
  • 236 comments

Tedehur

Staff Emeritus
France
France
Z spec
I'll be away until tuesday evening, and I'm not certain I'll get a chance to post before this week's deadline, so here is the next race. We now leave the narrow streets of Hong-Kong, for some fast racing in the Grand Valley.

Week 76 : Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca '00 @ Grand Valley Speedway

Game mode :
Arcade Mode / Time Trial / Original Courses / Grand Valley Speedway

Car specifications :
Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca '00 with the following restrictions :
(car has been purchased from the Dodge dealer)
  • +0% power (588 hp) ;
  • -10% weight (1,035 kg) ;
  • any top speed settings ;
  • any driving aids ;
  • racing soft tyres ;
Race rules :
Standard clean OLR rules :
  • 2 wheels on track at all time ;
  • any tarmac, concrete or cobblestone area is part of the track.
  • no contact with walls or fixed objects, visible or invisible ;
  • if you're not 100% sure that your lap is clean, then consider it dirty ;
  • no hybrids ;
  • no cheating of any kind ;
  • nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules ;
  • save your replays ('save ghost' icon).
Thread rules :
The following info cannot be discussed in the thread (they can however be discussed on chats or by other means) :
  • lap time ;
  • any information which can be used to infer lap time.
Submission :
All submissions must be sent to me by PM (flat-out).
  • you can submit only once per race ;
  • please include in your submission PM your division, name and time ;
  • deadline is tuesday 10th october 9pm GMT (L.A. 1pm, New-York 4pm, London 10pm, Paris 11pm, Tokyo wed. 6am, Sydney wed. 8am).
Time verification :
Save your replay and keep it at least a full week after the time has been submitted.
  • fastest times each week will be required to submit with verification ;
  • any submitted time is subject to a time verification request ;
  • when a time verification has been required, the concerned racer must provide a replay before next race deadline ;
  • failure to do so will result in the submitted time to be removed for the WRS results and/or GTPlanet Times Database ;
  • video replays are not accepted, only .max, .xps or .sps files can be verified.

WOOOOOOOT!
great combo this week - i'll drop 75 now (did already in fact) and no rules too and get on with it now.
cyril, you're now excused for the previous combo :) :)
👍 👍 👍

'Snake in the Valley' hey....:sly:

I'll file this name with the week 18 race title 'Back-Alley Bandits'.

I love this combo!

I took 4 quick laps, here's what I mustered:

T1: 33.7xx
T2: 1:06.4xx

Can get atleast another second or so out of the first split, and atleast another second, maybe 2 seconds out of T1 - T2. Car holds to the track real well under hard braking, even while turning.

I love this combo!

I took 4 quick laps, here's what I mustered:

T1: 33.7xx
T2: 1:06.4xx

Can get atleast another second or so out of the first split, and atleast another second, maybe 2 seconds out of T1 - T2. Car holds to the track real well under hard braking, even while turning.

Sorry to disagree with you here Falango, but this car does just the same thing that all Viper's do!

Understeer BADLY! Especially on the brakes!

However, that being said, all things concidered and what-not........

It's still 9 quadrillion % better than last week's combo, so there's a plus! :sly:

After 4 laps, this is what I got!

T1 33.379
T2 1'05.277

Neil

this race has Small Fryz written all over it, i wonder if he will pop in this week for this one...

should be a change from the dodgem cars around Hong Kong :sly:

alright spent about 25 minutes on this and here is a quick guide to the track

310 gearing is what i used (all speeds are in kph by the way)

cross the s/f line at about 280, keep on accelerating and swing into the slight left hander before the hairpin. as sooon as you see the grey rumble strip on the left hand side brake down from 6th to 3rd and take it at about 105-110. take the next left hander at 235 and, for the important bit, take the next right/left combo flat out in 6th at 245, dont brake or lift off the throttle, you should be doing about 255 by the time you get out of this. accelerate down the hill until you see the grey rumble strip on the left again and brake from 6th to 2nd, taking the hairpin at about 75. up the hill and through the first timing beacon in 4th at around 200, just before you start turning left, brake and change back down to 3rd. this is important because you want to hit the second part of this double left hander going across the concrete, will save plenty of time, and you should be doing about 140 as you exit the double left hander, you should be in 4th. as you enter the double right hander hit the apex, brake just after it and change down to 3rd, this should unsettle the car enough to get the rear to slide a little. this will help you exit the double right in 3rd at about 125. take the hairpin left in 2nd at 85. after the short burst on the gas you should be in 5th entering the left/right combo in the tunnel, now this area is very important coz lots of time can be lost in here. as you come out of the first tunnel, brake a couple of car lengths before the shadow on the ground ends, down from 5th to 3rd gear taking the initial left at least 100. change up into 4th in the middle of the tunnel and brake just a little til you get down to about 140ish, still in 4th gear and get as close to the inside of the corner as possible, use all the road as you exit the tunnel and head on up to the second timing beacon. into the final tunnel/right hander at about 250 brake a fraction late get the rear out a little as you change down to 4th and around 150. steady the slide and aim to try and get as close to the inside of this corner as you can. stay in 4th out of the tunnel and brake down to 3rd and about 90 as you you take the left hander and then the right hander in 3rd. use all the road on the exit of the right hander if needed. coming up to the right hander on the s/f straight swing out a little wide to the left onto the rumble strips to give you a little more room and take the final corner flat out, no braking or lifting off the throttle you should be doing at least 230 though this final corner.

1'03.134

another 0.5 left in it perhaps

Just ran...
Had an awesome time with the race. :bowdown:
1'03.6?? Clean and saved... Plan to see high 1'02s by week's end.
Back again when I've run more, till then,
Have fun everyone! :cheers:

Ok a time to aim for, I have found that if I have a time to aim for I
do better so thanks Kent for that time;).

I have the day off work, so I thought I'd give this a crack...

After 21 laps

T1: 0'32.484
T2: 1'03.757

Gearing 320, without using the concrete areas (I simply don't believe you can call them track).

One suggestion to everyone: run taller gearing than you think, this car doesn't like to rev past 7k.

EDIT: After a few more laps... gearing 330 this time:

T1: 0'32.459
T2: 1'03.499

:cheers:

Ok after one hour here are my times.

T1-32:872
T2-1:04:088

Right now I can't go any faster so I will try tomorrow.

Sorry to disagree with you here Falango, but this car does just the same thing that all Viper's do!

Neil

Ditto on that... You have to work the wheel like mad. But that's what makes the sim fun . :)

βen;2438358
Looking sweet Cyril, nice one 👍
Perhaps this'll draw me away from the turbobricks?
:lol:
Come on now! Turbobricks.com :grumpy: :sly:

But yeah, I was going to sit down for a few more laps there, but THIS, is tempting. Very tempting. I love this track and all... So... :sly:

However, that being said, all things concidered and what-not........

It's still 9 quadrillion % better than last week's combo, so there's a plus! :sly:

After 4 laps, this is what I got!

T1 33.379
T2 1'05.277

Neil
Good thing he didn't stack on the power, eh? Thanks Cyril! Will sit down here in a sec... And submit my Charger time.

Well this week should bring my return to the WRS. If all goes according to what he said it would, my roommate will be back tomorrow, with a PS2. I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since I've played... hopefully I won't be completely... hopeless...

Come on now! Turbobricks.com :grumpy: :sly:

No no! Don't get me wrong, I actually like the Corvette 👍 .
Just I like calling them turbobricks for some reason... :lol:

Back on topic though I may give this a go now, I have about an hour and a half free time...

I disagree.
With the right touch this car does not understeer on braking.
I start in on the brakes at the proper point, give it a touch of turning at the right spot, then let off the steering and let the drift-braking take over (not sure exactly what that's called).

Seems to take my braking around turns quite well (hopefully well enough to get into the mid 1'02s). :P
(not that 1'02s would be enough to get the job done if you know what I mean! :ouch: :lol: )

Just my vote but for the record, that vote is to say the Oreca does not understeer (as long as you drive it right ;) ).
Just my opinion on the subject though. :D

I disagree.
With the right touch this car does not understeer on braking. I start in on the brakes at the proper point, give it a touch of turning at the right spot, then let off the steering and let the drift-braking take over (not sure exactly what that's called). Just my vote but for the record, that vote is to say the Oreca does not understeer (as long as you drive it right ;) ).

It's funny that I orginally had that thought, but I kept on thinking that there are different levels of how to drive the car. I think that I may break a barrier and the car is smooth all of a sudden. Then I add a ton of input and find that indeed it does understeer but find myself running faster laps. We all experience both effects just at different times on our own learning curve....

My first splits after about 20 minutes of racing :ouch:

T1 - 33.7xx
T2 - 1'04.756

Must work on T2, I'm losing alot of time there.
Although I am already getting faster, just 20 minutes ago I got a 1'07 T2 :P .

EDIT: Ran 1 more lap and an improvement :D .

T1 - 33.467
T2 - 1'04.451

With about .6 faster at the line.

Kent, I do agree, and after getting through the initial bit, and making sure I'm in the right gear at the right time, most of the understeer is gone. I am used to a bit more oversteery cars at this track(and that's how I like this track), so the Viper did understeer a bit much for me at the beginning, now I'm doing a bit better.

Using 340 gearing...
T1: 32.142
T2: 1'03.134
T3: Very possibly the time I'll submit... These R4 tires make it much easier to reach something somewhat near my limit in less amounts of time, and I may not have any time after this last session anyway. I'm moving this coming weekend, and it's going to be a bit of a hassle! Trying to sell a bunch of stuff in the meantime, and clean up a bit, and trying to figure out where I'm going to put things... :crazy::scared::)

EDIT: Shockwave, that's a nice T2 you've there... :sly: Oh, and for fun, I'm two tenths off of the time I submitted in the Charger for last week... :)

thanks to andrew for the quick guide. i'll get to it tonight.
awesome combo! the valley is in the top 5 of gt4 tracks to me.

33.709 - 1.05.938

but lots of potential in there, at which i am looking forward the coming (long) wrs week.

my viper says 588 hp at 0%. topspeed is now set at 330 but i might lower it to 310 following andrew's advice.

I found too that the Viper understeers a bit under braking. That's the reason why we run at +0% power instead of the +20% as I had initially planned.
I'll make sure I submit a time this week : that race fits in my overbooked planning better than the past weeks.

EDIT: Shockwave, that's a nice T2 you've there... :sly: Oh, and for fun, I'm two tenths off of the time I submitted in the Charger for last week... :)

Indeed :sly: , if i can see a T1 split like yours then i will be well into the 1'02.xxx bracket at T2... shall put some more time into it later in the week...

Had a brief session just before, couldn't really get a decent lap though...but il post my sector times anyway.

T1 - 32.979
T2 - 1'04.508

Oh, nice one. Again, unknown track, unknown car (Yeah, I've never driven a Viper before, except for the S Licence). Should be good...

As much as I like Week 75 and the 'Vette, I think I'll leave that combo. As far as I know, I'll land behind the Gold cut-off time, but I can't seem to improve there, so I'll leave it.

Just came back from 2 days of non-stop cycling on the (car-less) streets, I'm gonna get some laps done.

Back