GT4 WRS Week 76 : "Snake in the Valley"

• Thread starter Tedehur
  • 236 comments
this sounds dumbass...

but i should just retire if all this NTCS vs PAL **** continues

have fun~

I see you finally tremble in fear of my presence....Curtis, Son of Jarel, Kneel Before Jump_ace!! lolz. You can retire AFTER Bobkart's, hehe ;)

Jerome

I feel like banging my head against the wall.:banghead: Iv done T2 splits of 1'03.5##'s quite a few times now but end up selecting the wrong gear, hitting a curb or hitting the wall. I made some clean but always end up behide my best lap with a T2 of 1'03.921 :dunce: :banghead:

Best lap
T1: 32.750
T2: 1'03.921:tdown:

βen;2446847
I know that 174 MPH is fastest possible on the start, all my laps start at 174 on PAL.

Actually, I found last night you can start at 175 if you use the grass on the left. I'm not sure if it's any faster, as you seem to lose speed coming off the grass for whatever reason.

Actually, I found last night you can start at 175 if you use the grass on the left. I'm not sure if it's any faster, as you seem to lose speed coming off the grass for whatever reason.
yes and no. u do gain speed on the grass, and no, u dont loose speed going from grass t tarmac, and no, i didnt use the grss trick cos its not a real life trick, its a fault in the game made by some dumbass.

and to curtis, nothing is set in stone, its just speculation about other races apart from this race which has an clear obvious difference, we both have had our fair share of wins and defeats at the hands of one another, i am inclined to believe that any differences in the majority of combos we race together are negligible and not even worth mentioning when looking at our amazing history in that over 10 of the races we have been seperated by less than.02x, so dont retire from gt4 yet;)

I am inclined to agree with Dan here.

On the subject of my lap time, :banghead: .
I've seen the splits, but I just can't get faster. One more go tonight, then submission time :P .

REALLY enjoyed this week's combo. more of this please cyril!

subbed my lap cos my ghost is far away each time i try to improve ...

wonder what the results will look like. ben in between div1, me at 3rd in div3 and this phyllis guy between div2 ...

anyway, cyril, if you want to gold me once this is the time cos the max is underway :dopey:

With my 3rd and (probably) final session i managed these splits...(using 320 gearing and PAL)

T1 - 32.786
T2 - 1'03.351

Finished poorly though, i think i can get another .2/.3 off my lap...but im not sure if i can get anymore time to race it.

Had a final go at this great combo.

Final splits:
T1: 33.061
T2: 1'04.443

Time submitted.

Sorry I never got back around to racing this one but I have been busy with 3 other comps also :P

Submitting my save from last week now ... It was a cool combo 👍
Good luck to all :cheers:

Ok, I'm ludicrously happy and angry at the same time!

I shave another .119 off my final time. That's good 👍 !
The bad - It's .061 off a target of mine. :banghead:

Final splits

T1 - 32.311
T2 - 1'02.407

Thanks Cyril, the most addictive combo I've had in the WRS so far 👍

Time submitted

Just PM'ed my times. I was out of GT4 for a while to restart GT3. Both games are fun but GT4 is so much better! I missed the the WRS, too. Nice combo! See ya'round.

Time submitted.

I must have hit my limit really early on this week. like the fourth or fifth lap I did because I've not been able to beat my time all week? :irked:

Still enjoyed it though, just hope I've managed to scrape another silver and not drop back into the bronze medal positions.

:cheers: Cyril, top combo.

Darren.

Time submitted.

I must have hit my limit really early on this week. like the fourth or fifth lap I did because I've not been able to beat my time all week? :irked:

Still enjoyed it though, just hope I've managed to scrape another silver and not drop back into the bronze medal positions.

:cheers: Cyril, top combo.

Darren.

Yeah, I hit my own extremely slow limit very early, too. Didn't submit, wasn't worth it. Only ran a couple of laps, couldn't pass my sluggish ghost.

Didn't submit, wasn't worth it.
I totally disagree with you.
If you don't submit, then running the laps was a total waste of time.
If you submit, well, then your time might be poor because you didn't spend much time, but at least you achieved something.

And you still have 30 minutes to do so.

metar's running it now to get some decent lap to submit.
he is a competitive racer.
and a friend.

After a month off of not having a PS2, not to mention being 500 miles away from home at college. I've finally submited my time. It was a fun combo, just wish I could've spent more time on it, oh well, at least I did sorta kinda somewhat well... I think...

On a side note, there's something I didn't wanted to post in the results because I'm not trying to reopen the topic but I want to give you my opinion :

I let the whole thing about PAL/NTSC differences go on this week, to see how far we could be going.
Most of the time there might be a difference between the PAL and the NTSC version of the car and we don't even notice it. Sometimes the difference is obvious, like in week 51, or noticeable like this week.
But there's nothing we can do about it, except moving on and keep racing. Some people think that it gives other racers an unfair advantage, so what ?
My TV is only 25" and I'm sitting 3 metres away. Should I calculate the angle it represents and what percentage of my field of vision is used by GT and then compare it with someone who has a 32" TV but who's sitting 2 meters away ?

It came to such a extent that the aliens didn't submit (or was it for fear of an unfair comparison :mischievous: ), and some other people got bored and didn't submit either.
Come on, we should get out more and have our share of real life. It's only a game, there's nothing to win or to lose, just nice moments of challenging entertainment to share in a friendly atmosphere.

Just my 0.02 € as a WRSer.

Anyway, it doesn't reduce the winners performance in any way, congrats to them.

It's only a game, there's nothing to win or to lose, just nice moments of challenging entertainment to share in a friendly atmosphere.

Well said Cyril. 👍

Sums up my opinion as a disadvantaged PAL racer, j/k. I'm never going to be Div 1 material, (probably not even top of D2), I'm here for a bit of fun and to extend the gameplay of a game I enjoy with a few likeminded people.

Yes there are regional differences and no there's nothing we can do about it, most of the NTSC guys are faster than me on weeks when the difference isn't noticeable anyway.

Peace people.

Darren.

Lightning - I'm not sure about the theory. As long as you don't have access to the PS2 internals, knowledge in PS2 game-programming for both regions, and of course the GT4 source-code, the whole theory you set up remains - a theory. And it's not "arguing with mathematics" - Mr P/Ron plays both PAL and NTSC, and therefore could tell a difference.

A little late, but i'm going to step in and join lightning's side.
His "theories" are very sound, and he obviously knows what he's talking about.
it is a VERY common practice (especially on consoles which have fixed frame rates) to use the video refresh as a timing mechanism for all of the physics and input. If you know anything about video game logic and programing (as lighting obviously does); assuming that GT4 uses the refresh as a "game-tick" isn't exactly wild speculation. It's practically a fact, and It is the only explination for what happens when you play a PAL replay on an NTSC game. The turning input is "ahead" of the track, causing the car to turn into the wall before the first turn.

his explinations are far more logical than polyphony adding some sort of magic back-end traction control to the NTSC game.

pardon my bluntness but; driving both tracks and "feeling the difference" is complete rubbish and can only lead to random guesses and wild speculation.
something to do if you have both games which would be productive and much more scientific; would be to run automatic transmission drag tests.
Which if you hold full throttle before the screen loads until after the line is crossed, will produce 100% exactly the same time every time.
That is a scientific observation, it's repeatable and reliable.
Do that with both consoles, 400m and 1000m... test multiple cars and tire compounds; compile data and find out of there are any differences.

a human driving laps is completely worthless from an analytical perspective.

👍 👍 👍

Well there you have it. All the conjecture, theory, and undeniable math can't shoot this down.

A tenth to 1000 feet is big!

Sad thing is now Cyril will have to test ALL future WRS cars in such a manner... <JK!!!!>

-SHig

yes it can... its a tainted test.
manual gears = element of uncertanty.

Back