GT5 Appreciation Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlackIce90
  • 38 comments
  • 2,255 views
Messages
1,087
Canada
Toronto
Messages
BlackIce49
People like to bash GT5 for its imperfections, but why not appreciate everything about it? Post everything you like about this game here! From the smallest thing (like one of your favourite songs is in the game) to the biggest thing (like how GT5 does a good job sending proper signals to your steering wheel).

One thing for me is the soundtrack, the first time I heard all the songs, it made me really happy and now just listening to the songs now, most people would be annoyed but it brought back memories of when I was new to GT5 and sucked at drifting and felt lost and didn't know what to do. Music is a time capsule, brings back memories just from a simple tone. I actually just want to do some of the earlier special events because I remembered how much fun I had trying to get gold on as many as I could.

To be honest, I kind of want to make a new account and start all over form the beginning, buy cheap cars and saving as much money as possible. Before, I was hoping that in the marketplace, people would want to trade cheap and common cars because of mods were kind of expensive, but I guess that can't happen now.

I love GT5, I made a whole new group of friends and I'm part of GTP, one of the best community sites I have ever been a part of. Thank you PD, I really mean it!

I kind of want the first week of August to be GT5 Appreciation Week since that is when Kazunori Yamauchi's birthday is. Everyone swarms the game's online servers and have good clean races with a bunch of pictures and a huge celebration, maybe with like prizes and such.

GT5 Appreciation Theme Song? :cheers:
 
Sure, but I don't know if I could appreciate everything about it..
 
You answered your own question within your first sentence.

Why not appreciate everything about it?

Because it has imperfections.
 
Oooh, I appreciate the effort on this. And love GT5, and many aspects of it. But this will likely end in "Forza did it better." like everything else.
 
A couple quotes I found which should get my message across.

- Assert your right to make a few mistakes. If people can't accept your imperfections, thats their fault.
- Just because someone messes up once doesn't mean that within time they can't find a way to change for the better.


More haters will come, more quotes will come.:sly:
 
Well, for starters then. I appreciate the properly done rain dynamics on the windscreen. Precious few racers actually do this properly :D
 
Well, for starters then. I appreciate the properly done rain dynamics on the windscreen. Precious few racers actually do this properly :D

There ya go! 👍 Smoke does it for me, looks nearly perfect! Love how light travels through the smoke also. If you don't know, you can actually cast a shadow on the smoke in the game. As well as photo-mode!
 
Don't forget lighting in general, like Dawn at La-Sarthe and Sunset at the ring, as the sun passes through the trees and plays shadowtricks on the dash :D
 
We shouldn't appreciate GT5 with so many errors and imperfections or GT6 will be even worse. We must point out to this imperfections so PD will see that we see them and we don't like them. Only then can be next GT better.
 
Oooh, I appreciate the effort on this. And love GT5, and many aspects of it. But this will likely end in "Forza did it better." like everything else.

Forza did it better.

No, just kidding, I can't really comment having only ever played GT and not the other.
Interesting topic.
 
Personally, I enjoy the hotlapping. it's what makes me keep coming back for more. The drving physics are pretty much outstanding for a console sim and the reprasentation of the 'Ring is pretty awesome as well.

Furthermore, I love the Super GT/JGTC cars in GT5. Whether they're GT500 or GT300, they're all brilliant.

I guess we see now how stringent that no dupe threads rule is...
Well, yeah...
 
Is there a perfect game? I think GT5 comes closest to it.
 
I gotta say I appreciate how often we are getting seasonal events, it's turning out to be a whole lot of game for $77.
 
Man I love this game, there are a few things like everyone that I think can be improved however overall this is an amazing game that needs quite a number of hours of drive time to truly appreciate. For me its the detailed distant backdrops @ Circuit De La Sarthe & the Nurburgring, quite an impressive feat. And yeah I'm another fan of the background and menu music.
 
Even though there are errors, I'm sure PD will attend to them because they are giving us a lot of frequent large updates. I have faith, it can only get better, right? Seasonal Events and Online Dealership was a good idea, I feel like they are taking big steps forward.
 
You answered your own question within your first sentence.

Why not appreciate everything about it?

Because it has some scandalous imperfections.

Just thought I'd fix that for you.

But in the mood of the thread, I appreciate the drive itself. I'm currently totally in driving love with a stock Ferrari 458 Italia @ Nurburgring 24hr (change weather/time).
 
I guess we see now how stringent that no dupe threads rule is...

It's obviously not to stringent. I remember seeing a multiple page standard car thread floating around.

:dunce:

Anyways... The Nurburgring. It literally makes every version on every other game seem wrong, and that in itself is topic worthy.
 
Last edited:
Watching a replay of one of my fun laps around SSR7 in the rain, Jag Coupe premo. During the tunnel I was flipping through views, looking out of the back window I see it still has rain droplets on it, they looked great, then the car suddenly jerked to the right and I watched them all fly off leaving a clear rear window! I love the droplet physics.

I love the dynamic weather, even when it doesn't rain, the way it changes light levels is great.

I love the car physics, and those times I just happen to pull off an accidental uber power slide.

I love driving the Ferrari California around the Madrid track and how warm it feels, the bright sun, the blue sky, green trees (it's cold up here in Canada right now)

I love making my own tracks and just driving them, it's like a random strech of road whenever I want it.

I love the feeling of excitement I get when I check out the JUSTINS :)

I love collecting cars, got all the Jags now! Working on so many others.

I love the new look SSR5, so much better than the previous versions.

I love the tire smoke, it's great to see the car in front light up his tires as you pass him on the inside.

So many more.

"Haters always be hatin'"
 
This is a video game, a driving game or simulation, consisting of some cleverly put together code, but only that.

Yet, it somehow manages to give the cars in this game CHARACTER. That is an astonishing achievement on PD's side there. Even in real life, some car makers manage to not give a car any character at all (most VW, Hyundai,... don't get me started...;).

So, how has PD done that? Playing Forza 3 with a 360 Wheel a while back was fun, the cars handled sufficiently different, but it failed to send the cars' character through the wheel. Playing GT5, with my Fanatec OR with a gamepad, I somehow feel how the cars communicate their different traits over to me and, like in real life, I LOVE THAT :)

...and don't tell me it's all down to Force Feedback!
 
There's lots to criticize about the game, but lots to like, too. If it wasn't good overall, I wouldn't have poured so many hours into it!

I like how the engine sounds change as I drive past another car.

I like driving the cars they've built. Each one has its own challenges.

I like the tuning improvements over GT4.

I like the 'atmosphere' at the various tracks.

The weather and lighting are fantastic.

I like the online play.

I like being able to choose my own music.

I like being able to choose how much fuel I get when I go into the pits.

Lots and lots of things, really.
 
I love Suzuka and the Schleife in the mist. Just looks awesome.
 
i remember how happy i was when i bought my first mclaren f1(i have 2 of em) it was great , also the first online race i won , my hands were shaking! Thanks for such a great game , pd always manages to make us happy . But i also remember how i felt when i learned that people were duping cars and stuff , so let's not forget about the mistakes pd made . Anyways gt is still cool , for me there is no other racing game except for need for speed 5(porsche unleashed) pd could learn a thing or two from the team who created nfs 5 .
 
1.06 update will make me play this game until 2012.

Cannot wait for 1.07, if PD can keep up with this.
 
I'm sure the next one will be even better! So far it looks like AT LEAST one update a month if not more.
 
Back