GT5 delayed

• Thread starter Kingdizzi
  • 4,267 comments
YES. At any other company, heads would be rolling, careers would be eradicated and the only future contact that Kaz would have with cars is wiping windshields at traffic lights. But not at PD.

The bottom line is that Kaz was the wrong person to put in a pure managerial role.

If heads were rolling what would happen ?
The developers would rush out an unfinished game including bugs. Many would buy it, play it 4 weeks and put it aside. (Best example: Codemasters F1 2010)

There are already too many companies out there whose only motivation in developing games is making much money in little time.

PD is one of a few companies today which emphasizes quality and perfection. In the long run this pays out even more.

That is why I dont think that Kazunori is the wrong man.

In my opinion he is the man who makes us as happy, stunning and impressed with his (and his company's) games in a way of which the fewest other (game-dev) companys are able to.

I said he's the wrong man to put in a head managerial role.

Indeed. But so far as I know he's been in that very role since GT1. Which is my point. Correct me if I'm wrong on this though since I didn't actually go look it up for confirmation.

YES. At any other company, heads would be rolling, careers would be eradicated and the only future contact that Kaz would have with cars is wiping windshields at traffic lights. But not at PD.

The bottom line is that Kaz was the wrong person to put in a pure managerial role.

This seems like a brilliant decision. Kick everyone out that's responsible for your biggest and most consistent selling franchise. That surely would end well especially considering Sony has spent all generation just trying to create other franchises because the 3rd party franchises have gone multiplatform. GT5P is still the best selling first party title on the PS3 (and that's obviously not going to change until GT5 is released). GT1 is the best selling first party title on the PSone (GT2 is the second) and GT4 is the best selling first party title on the PS2 (and of course GT3 is the second).

The reality is that no one could create GT in the way that PD can. There's a reason why no other racing franchise has topped it in popularity. At has a distinct feel to it that clicks with people. You don't mess with that under any circumstances.

NO DOUBT THAT KAZ IS THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THIS GAME!!!

I would never put anyone else's head on that woman's body! :dunce:

I lightly rework this picture over the initial: see if you can spot the new things :dopey:

so we are really NOT going to get any date before the end of the month after all :) Kaz does what he does best: delay and make us want his game!

They changed the release date today on the Canadian gamestop.ca.

Why would they change it today?

ProductDetails.aspx

Yesterday I snapped a screen capture of the GT5 @ gamestop.ca with the release date of Nov 16, 2010 and today the changed it to Dec 7, 2010.

With all the speculation of a release date, why would they risk creditability and change it today?

At least GameStop US is playing it safe and gave it a GENERIC release date of 1/1/11

GameStop Canada is doing random release dates so people think its out soon so they will preorder it.

hmmm interesting ... US gamestop is still showing 1/1/11

But like you said, it is indeed weird that they changed it. Unless they've jumped aboard the speculation bandwagon and bit the bait we've been hearing.

A small maths lesson:

-CoD modern warfare 2 -> 40 to 50 million to develop/2 years with 250 employees,using a modern warfare engine as a base.

-GT5 -> 60 million according to sony/5 years in development with 197 employees,starting a new engine.

Now notice that GT5 were using less employees than MW2,also notice the number of people involved,now make some counts because GT5 is not entirely done by himself,then count the payment for each employee during 5 years,multiply that by 197,add the payment for new licence like Lamborghini and Ferrari,then add the copyright for real world tracks and sponsor and then tell me how will you do it with the same amount of money time and level of quality and features that GT5 has to offer.

After that check the biohazard 2 case,the game was held by the developers by six months and at it's time it was one of the best selling games on PS1 platform.

And after that try to bring a logical reply, unfortunately if you don't know what you're talking about avoid making arguments about it.

is not a mass production cars or consumer goods facility,it's an entertainment product.

How do you know its 197 employee? Last time I hear its around 120-150 since they were hiring for GT5 Online.

A small maths lesson:

-CoD modern warfare 2 -> 40 to 50 million to develop/2 years with 250 employees,using a modern warfare engine as a base.

-GT5 -> 60 million according to sony/5 years in development with 197 employees,starting a new engine.

Now notice that GT5 were using less employees than MW2,also notice the number of people involved,now make some counts because GT5 is not entirely done by himself,then count the payment for each employee during 5 years,multiply that by 197,add the payment for new licence like Lamborghini and Ferrari,then add the copyright for real world tracks and sponsor and then tell me how will you do it with the same amount of money time and level of quality and features that GT5 has to offer.

After that check the biohazard 2 case,the game was held by the developers by six months and at it's time it was one of the best selling games on PS1 platform.

And after that try to bring a logical reply, unfortunately if you don't know what you're talking about avoid making arguments about it.

is not a mass production cars or consumer goods facility,it's an entertainment product.

Where are you getting the figures for COD. The only other game I know that even touches GT5 budget wise was KZ2, and even that was only 20 mil. Also, GT5 has GT5P's engine to work off of, have their content is carried over (800 standard cars), and they have been working on this for 6 years.

Where are you getting the figures for COD. The only other game I know that even touches GT5 budget wise was KZ2, and even that was only 20 mil. Also, GT5 has GT5P's engine to work off of, have their content is carried over (800 standard cars), and they have been working on this for 6 years.

Based on activition's fiscal years reports,they spend over 20 million on publishing MW2,and GT4 prologue launch in 2007-2008 so that's 2 to 3 years,apart from the 6 months per car non-sense.

Call of Duty cost $40 million to $50 million to produce, people close to the project said, about as much as a mid-size film. Including marketing expenses and the cost of producing and distributing discs, the launch budget was $200 million, on par with a summer popcorn movie -- and extremely high for a video game.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/18/business/fi-ct-duty18

There are plenty of games with huge budgets. GTA4 cost 100m, God of War 3 cost 44m, Shenmue cost 70m+ ect.

Based on activition's fiscal years reports,they spend over 20 million on publishing MW2,and GT4 prologue launch in 2007-2008 so that's 2 to 3 years,apart from the 6 months per car non-sense.

You said 40-50 mil in your original post. Anyways, just saw the article posted by solid snake and is quite interesting, I bet GT5's launch budget would be vary comparable.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I was actually hoping we'd have a date today, but I believe they said by the END of Oct....that's Halloween (Sunday).

Rumors....BAH.

JGW
Hmmm. I was actually hoping we'd have a date today, but I believe they said by the END of Oct....that's Halloween (Sunday).

Rumors....BAH.

Its amazing to me that anyone here still believes in anything they say. This exact same thing happened with duke nukem, another popular franchise and a very hyped up game that many people were waiting for. Years later, even after it seemed so close to going gold, its still not out.

Kaz is a maniac, but its not just him, its corporate politics, and anyone thats worked for a big corporation in their life knows that if you want to get something done, regardless of whether a lot of people want it or not, it can get hung up for ages. This is exactly what killed duke nukem and why so many people are starting to compare this game to that.

I refuse to believe this game is coming out anytime soon until I see it on a shelf, and I dont care what sony or PD says, their all frauds in my eyes until the game is on a shelf somewhere.

I refuse to believe this game is coming out anytime soon until I see it on a shelf, and I dont care what sony or PD says, their all frauds in my eyes until the game is on a shelf somewhere.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I just want a new "release date" so I can at least have a minimum wait time. I want to know when I will need to order my wheel and other accessories.

Last Ghost from Gamefaqs pretty much sums it up below...

"They told us we'd know by the end of October. This is the last Business day of October, so I guess they're to scared to tell us it's not coming out this year! Not saying that I won't pick this one up, but at this point the money I had put away for this is probably going to a different title this season. And when I do pick it up, I may wait till the price drops on the web, or buy it used. At this point I want to make sure sony gets the least amount of money out of me.
And for all those people that are going to say "Boohoo" they don't care, realize that this is just sony manipulating people into putting money down reserving this game hoping they will just leave it on it no matter how many times they push it back. This is all marketing people. They knew it wouldn't come out November 2nd. They are just banking on adding more reserves.
Sorry for the Rant, but just needed to get that off my chest. I'm tired of being manipulated by the gaming industry. Between false release dates and add on pay content that should be in the game at launch, this industry is getting out of control."

"They told us we'd know by the end of October. This is the last Business day of October, so I guess they're to scared to tell us it's not coming out this year! Not saying that I won't pick this one up, but at this point the money I had put away for this is probably going to a different title this season. And when I do pick it up, I may wait till the price drops on the web, or buy it used. At this point I want to make sure sony gets the least amount of money out of me.
And for all those people that are going to say "Boohoo" they don't care, realize that this is just sony manipulating people into putting money down reserving this game hoping they will just leave it on it no matter how many times they push it back. This is all marketing people. They knew it wouldn't come out November 2nd. They are just banking on adding more reserves.
Sorry for the Rant, but just needed to get that off my chest. I'm tired of being manipulated by the gaming industry. Between false release dates and add on pay content that should be in the game at launch, this industry is getting out of control."
This

Gotta set aside your desires to play this game and look at the bigger picture. What is the big picture of Sony right now? Move. It's something that really NEEDS the holiday season.

Well what does putting out a AAA title at the same time do? Obviously it would damage Move's sales. Sony doesnt have anything big lines up for early next year, and AAA game sell well regardless of when they come out. They dont need the holiday, in the end in will still accumulate the same amount of sales.

So push GT5 to 2011, try to maximize Move's sales. They know damn well all of you will buy this game in March if thats when they come out. You can cry all day about it being delayed, they dont care, Move is their focus right now.

If I were working for them Id do the same damn thing, push GT5 away from Move, let all the moms n pops buy that for their kids, THEN put GT5 out in 2011. It makes sense whether you personally like it or not.

"They told us we'd know by the end of October. [zip]"

Actually that isn't accurate, SCEE twittered they expect to announce a new date by the end of the month, they didn't promise anything.

However given the history, I am expecting a 2011 date now anyway. I just wish they would give us a date one way or the other.

Jay
Actually that isn't accurate, SCEE twittered they expect to announce a new date by the end of the month, they didn't promise anything.

However given the history, I am expecting a 2011 date now anyway.

If they weren't sure, should have said nothing anyways. Atleast they wouldn't have angry fans holding them accountable on that later on. Better to have a surprise release date anyways. This is turning into one big bad joke for sony and company, if I'm their share holders, I'm shaking my head. Too bad forza isn't on the PS3 and I can't afford a 360.:grumpy:

Back