GT5 "Driving on ice" physics glitch.

  • Thread starter Thread starter JasonMann
  • 36 comments
  • 3,577 views
Messages
60
Messages
JasonMann
I cant find a thread on this topic anywhere. Anyways, have you ever noticed that there is wheelspin at very low speeds in every car while moving off from a start? For example: get a car that has markings or writing on the tires (such as a go kart or pigani zonda), go on a flat surface, and very gently set off, and you will knotice that there is quite alot of wheelspin. This is the main reason that in most cars you can drop the clutch with very little throttle on anyting below racing tires. (on a g27, or g27 of course) This glitch annoys me alot because it takes away form the realisim of the game when you are setting off, and if you are setting off on an incline, or a banking your car slides very very easily. If you still dont get what i am saying i could post a video. But generally i just want to know if anyone knotices this aswell.
 
Don't mash the gas. If you use a DS3 you can press softly and accelerate slowly with no wheel spin. Wheel spin occurs when the RPMs reach the limiter in first 2md all the way up to 3rd and 4th depending on the car.
 
If you mash the gas in most cars in real life, you get wheelspin. I don't see how this is a glitch?
 
perhaps thats why they dropped standing starts from races...:D
 
perhaps thats why they dropped standing starts from races...:D

But you know that's not the reason (hint: it has to do with the graphics).

Anyway, you can have a good start if you accelerate gently- not so easy with DS3 or even the DFGT's pedals. One trick though especially with DFGT is to switch on the TCS at the start. Or opt for AWD cars.
 
You can prevent this by setting up your diff and the torque distributor. Pending on the way you press the gas also effects this as the other said. Now if you have any power adders then your just out of luck due to you taking the car out of it's element. That's the price you pay to trying advantage by power instead of driving and set up skills. If you went the latter then you're OK and will be able to set them accordingly to prevent the wheel spin.
 
He's not talking about literal real world wheel-spin. Usually when you press the gas at a stop in the game, you'll see the wheels spin but the car itself doesn't move forward like it should.
 
I don't know what you're talking about... I mean yeah, sometimes if you have maybe comfort mediums on a car with a rather high hp or really weight reduced, and you lower the LSD really low, then yeah, it's going to slide around like on ice from a standing start on some tracks, especially if you fully depress the throttle all at once. :eek:
But I do know that it's completely possible not to overcook the tires on every standing start. :boggled:

You want driving on ice... I suggest you go into your lounge with a maxed out Alpine on comfort tires & try driving Trial Mountain. Might give you an appreciation of the grip of other cars. LOL
Or take a tuned up Spitfire on comfort softs (or even sports softs) on Eiger Nordwand Short Track Weather Change Rain Non-Fixed. :D

Then talk to me about icy conditions. :lol:
 
The only time this has ever happened to me is flooring a standing start in a NASCAR car at Daytona. Needless to say, my friend was laughing all the way to the finish line :grumpy:. But on topic, I've never had this happen in another situation where you are even on a realistic incline.
 
I don't know what you're talking about... I mean yeah, sometimes if you have maybe comfort mediums on a car with a rather high hp or really weight reduced, and you lower the LSD really low, then yeah, it's going to slide around like on ice from a standing start on some tracks, especially if you fully depress the throttle all at once. :eek:
But I do know that it's completely possible not to overcook the tires on every standing start. :boggled:

You want driving on ice... I suggest you go into your lounge with a maxed out Alpine on comfort tires & try driving Trial Mountain. Might give you an appreciation of the grip of other cars. LOL
Or take a tuned up Spitfire on comfort softs (or even sports softs) on Eiger Nordwand Short Track Weather Change Rain Non-Fixed. :D

Then talk to me about icy conditions. :lol:

The only time this has ever happened to me is flooring a standing start in a NASCAR car at Daytona. Needless to say, my friend was laughing all the way to the finish line :grumpy:. But on topic, I've never had this happen in another situation where you are even on a realistic incline.


He's talking Rally in the snow not running on Trail Mountain or Daytona. Stay on subject and the SUBJECT is RALLY.
Try this set for the diff and torque distributor.

TD 35/65
ET 45/27
TS 37/47
BS 45/27
 
Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't see him address rally as a subject of interest in the OP so I figured it was fair game. :ouch:
 
Almost forgot. I have Rally sets for all the Rally tracks in GT5, if you like I'll send them to you. Just let me know through PM and I'll them sent to you at I receive the PM. All my set are for normaly tuned Rally Cars. NO POWER ADDERS INSTALLED.
 
The OP didn't say anything about rally tracks at all. What thread are you reading?

have you ever noticed that there is wheelspin at very low speeds in every car while moving off from a start?

Every car... no mention of rally tracks. :boggled:

go on a flat surface

Since when are "flat surfaces" rally dirt tracks or snow? :boggled:
If he meant a rally track, he would've said "go on a snow surface" or "go on a dirt track surface".
???? :boggled:

on anyting below racing tires.

Anything below racing tires sounds like sports tires or comfort tires, not snow tires.
On snow tracks you MUST use snow tires.
On dirt tracks you MUST use dirt tires.
:rolleyes:

He put "driving on ice" in quotation marks, to denote the METAPHOR. *sigh*

I don't think the OP was talking about rally tracks at all. :crazy: :odd:
 
12 replies and only 1 who even read and understood the first post... sad.

JasonMann: I think it's basically a workaround for the crappy clutch, they don't want people crying that they stall all the time. Then again they just keep giving us rolling starts so there's really no point to it.
 
I think I know what you're on about, I haven't noticed it in GT5 but certainly in Burnout Paradise, you'd go to pull off slowly, low RPM and the wheels would spin faster than the ground would move.
It's not a full on wheel spin with noise and smoke, just literally the wheels turning slightly faster than they should going at that speed.

I hope I've got the right end of the stick :lol:
 
Stay on subject and the SUBJECT is RALLY.

No it isn't, as punch stated and showed. Nice attempt at trolling though 👍

As others have said though, try to relax on the throttle a bit; it sounds like you are trying to go all out on the throttle from the very beginning :)
 
Ah I get it now... This is solely a problem with the clutch usage in gt5!?!

Probably why nobody reports encountering this... Don't often hear about people using the clutch function. Probably because I don't think gt5 was primarily designed with clutch usage in mind. (Whatever their advertising tag line is - gt5 is a game - and usually trying to use real-world thinking often comes to naught.)

@JasonMann: You might want to try re-naming the thread to having "clutch problem" in the title. You'll probably get a lot more informed responses from people with experience using the clutch function.
 
He's not talking about clutch, it's the loss of grip at low speeds (which usually happens with race cars on racing tires) which appears as if the car's driving on ice.
I know what you're saying and it's very annoying.
 
If JasonMann doesn't come back soon and clarify what the heck he's talking about & post the promised video, we'll wind up here for days debating what he's referring to.
Eventually people will assert that he's in fact not talking about gt5 at all, but his problem is in Dead Nation and caused by zombie mutation.
 
Pretty damn sure he's not singling out rallying. "Driving on ice" is a figurative way of describing what he observes when accelerating form a standstill, I believe.

EDIT: 'punch said it.
 
To what I understand he is saying that when slightly applying throttle, (more than half) there is wheel spin but its just cosmetic not actual wheel spin. Like the wheels turn but the car doesn't move at that speed. He even said to "gently set off", he isn't flooring it... I read the responses and only two really talked closely to the subject. Oh and my answer, I really have no idea why.
 
Yes iv'e noticed this ,happens alot on autumn ring reverse coming out of the pits.
 
In an old thread something similar was covered. PD has given each car two sets of wheels. There is a highly detailed wheel that is used in Photomode and when the car is stationary and there is a less detailed version that is used when the car is moving. Perhaps on some cars the moving wheels cannot move slow enough to match the speed of the car.
 
Its not just cosmetic. Doing it at Eiger or daytona. . . roll of the line very slowly, like 3mph and your car will slide to whatever direction is downhill. In the Daytona case, your drivewheels will immediately swing down hill. This isn't hammering the throttle. this is like 10% throttle, even in cars under 200hp. Its a glitch in terms of grip or rather, in the words of Akira Shirakawa (sorry if I mispelled the name) "Poor low speed physics".
 
Its not just cosmetic. Doing it at Eiger or daytona. . . roll of the line very slowly, like 3mph and your car will slide to whatever direction is downhill. In the Daytona case, your drivewheels will immediately swing down hill. This isn't hammering the throttle. this is like 10% throttle, even in cars under 200hp. Its a glitch in terms of grip or rather, in the words of Akira Shirakawa (sorry if I mispelled the name) "Poor low speed physics".

When waiting to start a rally it is very visible, I mean, the cars slide sideways!?

A real annoyance at a few standing starts as well :)
 
i am not flooring the car, i just very slightly touch the gas pedat and you can see a microscopic amount of wheelspin
 
I think I know what you're on about, I haven't noticed it in GT5 but certainly in Burnout Paradise, you'd go to pull off slowly, low RPM and the wheels would spin faster than the ground would move.
It's not a full on wheel spin with noise and smoke, just literally the wheels turning slightly faster than they should going at that speed.

I hope I've got the right end of the stick :lol:

yup you nailed it
 
So all this time you are just talking about a VISUAL thing, not an actual game physics behaviour issue?
 
So all this time you are just talking about a VISUAL thing, not an actual game physics behaviour issue?

Sounds like it's actually both. I haven't come across it myself, closest thing I have noticed is that when you take a picture of a car in motion, the wheels are in a different position in the photo than they are while you're walking around. Probably completely unrelated of course.

Very few games seem to be able to get extremely low speed movement correct, it must be very hard. Parked vehicles have a tendency to slowly slide around and things like that.
 
Unfortunately it's a physics glitch. It appears to occur under 8 Km/h, threshold above which a clear change in the way tires behave can be clearly felt. Below this speed tire grip is reduced, making wheelspin inevitable.

Personally I've come to think lately that it's a deliberate choice by PD to avoid realistic rollovers, by decreasing grip when the car slides sideways (as the indicated speed in GT5 is relative to the car's longitudinal axis and not wheel speed - by the way this is another really annoying thing - when the car slides sideways at an angle of 90 degrees, speed drops to zero).

Still, even though this problem occurs at very low speeds or extreme drifting angles, it's very annoying. It makes impossible to launch from still without slipping wheels and drifting sideways on slopes (even slight ones), no matter how gentle throttle control is. I think it would be a serious problem in hypothetical free roaming mode.
 
Back