GT5 "Driving on ice" physics glitch.

• Thread starter JasonMann
  • 36 comments
Personally I've come to think lately that it's a deliberate choice by PD to avoid realistic rollovers, by decreasing grip when the car slides sideways (as the indicated speed in GT5 is relative to the car's longitudinal axis and not wheel speed - by the way this is another really annoying thing - when the car slides sideways at an angle of 90 degrees, speed drops to zero).
QUOTE]

I do tend to agree with this. Even the way the cars roll over suggest that they were put into the game with parameters that make the vehicles more resistant to rolling. Not to mention the bizzare lack of friction when the body of the car makes contact with the ground.

i am not flooring the car, i just very slightly touch the gas pedat and you can see a microscopic amount of wheelspin

So all this time you are just talking about a VISUAL thing, not an actual game physics behaviour issue?

Correct, he's talking about a visual artifact, not a physics glitch.

The issue is that the game does not actually "spin" the wheels (visually) in conjunction with the engine RPM. Rather, the graphics engine transitions from a static image of the wheel to an animated image of a spinning wheel. The lack of an interim "transition" image in the graphics engine gives an illusion of spinning wheels from a standing start because the "spinning" graphic is only appropriate for higher vehicle speeds.

Try a standing start at Laguna Seca (I really only play online, so I can't say that I've seen this offline). Don't push the gas, just hold the brake as the race starts. Now, just wait.

Some of the cars start to slide sideways. Is that related to the wheelspin issue?

Try a standing start at Laguna Seca (I really only play online, so I can't say that I've seen this offline). Don't push the gas, just hold the brake as the race starts. Now, just wait.

Some of the cars start to slide sideways. Is that related to the wheelspin issue?

Probably yes. The higher the slope the car is on, the more pronounced is the effect. However it's much more apparent when accelerating slowly. Answering to Zenmervolt, this is unrelated to the visual transition of wheels to their blurred, spinning graphics once they reach a certain speed.

It's not a visual problem, it's a physics glitch.
As people have said - the best way to notice this is to go into practice mode, pick a NASCAR or maybe even Zonda R (any hi-powered car) and do a standing start by slowly applying throttle on sloped part of the track (Daytona).
The car will slide.

This problem also happens online, Nissan R390 GT1 slides on racing hard tires even without wheelspin (but I think that's a different issue to what OP states).

Answering to Zenmervolt, this is unrelated to the visual transition of wheels to their blurred, spinning graphics once they reach a certain speed.

You're absolutely right and I was wrong. Never noticed the issue before, though I've seen the graphics one several times.

Anyway, I should have tested it before assuming it was the graphics issue.

Cheers!

Which way is this sliding?
And the OP said there's wheel spin at low speeds - not stopped. So I'm still not clear about what we're talking about here.

Are you saying that even stopped with the brake on, the wheels are spinning & the car is going forward?
Or are you saying the car is sliding SIDEWAYS - ie: not forward, but in a different direction than what the wheels turning would make it move?

Latest Posts

Back