GT5 First Impressions

• Thread starter Danisfast
  • 472 comments
Wales
Glamorgan
Danisfast
Evening all,
I, like everyone else here, am aware of Amar's excellently detailed review. In the past few days, however, I've been asked to share my thoughts on GT5 by a few members of the GTDrivers forum. I'd managed to set-off the auto-spam detector, and so I've been banned! If no one is particularly bothered, I'll be trying to post those thoughts over here instead. Anyway, the following is what I'd written; feel free to comment!

"NOTE: Scores are at the bottom of this post for the lazy/time-pressed!

Hello,
My name is Dan, and I've been invited by Jase and Matt (through the PSN) to add my thoughts on Polyphony's new arrival, a certain GT5! I've been lucky enough to attain an early copy of the Signature Edition, and have been lapping up GT5 over the last 24 hours like a maniac!

I suppose there's no point in making the case in recommending this game, as you'll already have made up your minds! So, I'll try and include the things that matter to a fan, whilst also trying to provide an overview of the game in general. Please bear in mind, that the online portion of Gran Turismo 5 is not yet active, and I'm only a small portion through GT mode. So, not only are many thoughts included here in their "reflective-infancy" (as it were), it's also entirely possible that things mentioned here in criticism may be contradicted by later developments. I will also endeavour to refrain from containing spoilers about prize cars and tournament structures; beyond that I can make no promises!

Lastly, please bear in mind that this is a critical viewpoint, and I'm trying NOT to view it as if I'd just discovered what a PlayStation 3 is!

So, without further ado (thanks, Midian!), here's what I've got!

Gran Turismo 5 review

By Danisfast

So, six years; was it worth it all? Gran Turismo 5 is the final product of many years, many delays, many heartaches. Finally, it's all but over now; and I'm pleased to report that Gran Turismo 5 is in my opinion, an excellent game. It's not perfect, but as a fan of the series myself, I came away from a marathon session thankful to finally have a proper racing game to play; one that is immersive, well-crafted and one we all know and love. Better yet, it has satiated that need whilst staying strong to the twinned-aim of approachability, so that those new to the world, are more likely (than in GT4 & Prologue) to find a fun-filled experience.

There's a whole new design to the Gran Turismo World. Actually, I found myself somewhat missing the former, totally bonkers layouts of the earlier 'GT Worlds', as they've now been replaced by a very bright, yet utilitarian design; however, this is probably a case of 'absence and the heart'. The menus are functional, if a little busy at times, and easy to navigate.

Importantly, a lot of lessons have been learnt since the last game, and it shows in the evolution of the licence tests, the cockpit view options (seemingly exclusive to the premium cars) and the AI. But, I would like to mention that I felt the game was, in places, a bit rushed; no more so than in the menus. For example, one of the licence tests has a Gold-time that is considerably faster than the example demo was able to set; good luck trying to beat that one! Another example is the fact that when you bump into a car in front, the driver just seems to suck you in and release the throttle, making it very difficult to get out! I don't understand how that works. Also, the shadows in the odd place (99% of the time on standard cars; not on 99% of standard cars) is less than convincing, and slightly hampers the whole 'visual tour de force' legacy that each Gran Turismo has been famous for over the years.

Anyway, there's a new function to the A-Spec and B-Spec side of things this time. Much like, just about every other game at the moment, your 'driver' will level-up based on the experience (EXP) he gains by winning races (true for both A & B-Spec modes). But, these levels are now the true currency of GT, for much of the earlier parts of the game. So, you'll start at level 0, and buy your first car. But, you can't just go and buy any old car; you need to buy one within both your budget AND your A-Spec level. It's an interesting design decision, and one which is obviously designed to combat short-cutting the game mode; but with even things like the ability to race in certain tournaments and view manufacturers* blocked-off until an appropriate level is reached, I wondered if they'd gotten a bit carried away with the whole idea. I mean, isn't that what licences, skill and money are for?

*Actually, you may view any manufacturer you like; however you may only buy a car once you have reached the required level. Thanks to Rey for highlighting that.

Granted, those who like to blast through all of the licences with Golds will have this as much less of an issue (since the licences are good XP earners), but I felt that enforcing these level requirements on practically everything muted a part of what makes Gran Turismo so special. I wonder if this was another idea not fully fleshed-out before the shipping-date.

The "Standard vs Premium" thing is a new addition to the game as well. It's an interesting choice to include this, and I optimistically prefer to think of GT5 as GT3, but with upscaled PSOne cars (that were obviously omitted from the actual game nine years ago). The cars look fine; although I'll probably be focussing on the Premium cars as much as possible, due to things like the lack of customisations, interior views and damage, and noticeably less 'amazing' visuals. They look as good as premiums when you're concentrating on the road; but a close inspection will reveal, again, unconvincing shadows and a strange 'ilk' over some cars.

The game-play is where it all counts though, and Gran Turismo has had an improvement. The physics (and AI; thank God!) have moved-on from Prologue and the TT Demo, to where the racing is more fun, and more importantly, almost as tough as you want to make it. Driving with a G25, I've really enjoyed tearing Ferraris around Rome, Madrid and the Cape Ring (which is an odd sort of circuit, much like that multi-layout test track in Forza). There's this new feature, called the SRF (Skid Recovery Force), or the successor to the standard physics; which jumps-in like a super-TCS. Simple as; it's something to switch-on when you're racing the relatives or trying to cheat to get that last Gold!

Damage is, let's say, lenient; I had to get my car swiped at 80mph before any serious damage began to show-up on my Lancer; which was automatically repaired (visually) for the following race of the championship. However, I can't say I'm complaining too much at the moment; I now have a reason to take care of my premium cars, because of the damage (which can be paid for after the race), and as a result, I'm a relatively happy man.

Overall, though, I'm really enjoying my time with Gran Turismo 5. It's a solid, proper Gran Turismo, with skidmarks, smoke, a PROPER Le Mans 24 Hours race, and lots to do. So, was it worth the wait? Well, I can't say I'm blown away by the total brilliance of every design choice and 3D tree; but most people won't really have been paying too much attention to be bothered; and the hardcore will be so relieved to finally have a proper Gran Turismo, that we'll be happy as Larry, and then some.

Don't be fooled by the amount of time dedicated to criticisms in this review; unless you've got OCD-levels of demands on this game, it's definitely worth it so far. Whilst not overwhelming, Gran Turismo 5 certainly hasn't failed my considerable expectations.

If I may be somewhat arrogant, I'd like to summarise my general feelings about the game in an IGN-style .5 decimal score format;

Presentation (9.0) - Menus are functional, bright, and mostly clear. The whole "Standard vs Premium" will bug the more obsessive among us, though.

Graphics (9.0) - At its best, Gran Turismo 5 is a visual masterpiece; at its' worst (which isn't often), this AAA racer is a slightly unconvincing (yet still very good) hi-res affair. Sixteen premium racers flying down Circuit de la Sarthe's start/finish line is a treat we've been waiting YEARS for!

Sound (9.5) - A varied, colourful and classy soundtrack, accompanied by meaty-sounding exhausts.

Gameplay (9.5) - Hits hardest where it counts; one or two terribly minor bugs aside, Gran Turismo 5 is varied, fun, challenging and engaging all at the same time. Oh, and the AI is now (relatively) intelligent; hurrah!

Lasting Appeal (N/A) - I think judgement on this issue should be reserved for when the online portion is available (since it such a large component of the game now). I will say that the GT Mode, whilst still lengthy, has been scaled-back a bit since GT4's quite frankly ridiculous 'marathon-mode'!

OVERALL SCORE (9.5) - The king is back. I have no problem recommending this game to newbies and the hardcore fans alike; both of whom will get many hours of enjoyment (at least from the single-player mode!).

I hope this review is useful and thanks for reading; if you've any thoughts or questions, I will check back periodically and try and answer them."

Last edited:
Good stuff. Have you been able to do anything with the head-tracking system? I am still wondering exactly how this is implemented and how useful it is. Specifically, how far away the PSEye needs to be in order to maximize efficiency.

Hi, Dan.

Were you able to map any functions to your G25 mate.
Any problems in that regard. Wipers, lights, horns and handbrakes that sort of stuff.

Hi, Dan.

Were you able to map any functions to your G25 mate.
Any problems in that regard. Wipers, lights, horns and handbrakes that sort of stuff.

Sort of; I seemed to be able to affect the controls when fiddling with the DFEX Pro's options. I imagine that a bit of deductive reasoning should make the controls mappable however you like.

NOTE: You may already know this, but affecting beams and the wipers only seem to work on premium cars; pretty cool though!

Good stuff. Have you been able to do anything with the head-tracking system? I am still wondering exactly how this is implemented and how useful it is. Specifically, how far away the PSEye needs to be in order to maximize efficiency.

Not sure as of yet; I'll have a go when I get the chance!

Hi Dan.
I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to look and see what class the Oreca Vipers are that are in GT5.

Also, are all tracks available for practice in GT mode or do they unlock by level relative to GT4?

Graphics - 9.0 ?

It's really the inconsistency, rather than any kind of general let-down that Gran Turismo produces. Shadow effects are mostly the best I've ever seen in a video game. But, in places, it can get a bit patchy. Moreover, the standard cars don't look that hot. Against the genre; I reckon Forza's cars are slightly better than SOME of the standard models (most standards are about on par with Turn 10's efforts, I'd say); premiums are delicious, mind!

However, this particular 9.0 indicates that Gran Turismo's graphics are, for the most part, genre-setting brilliance. For comparison; Uncharted 1, Heavy Rain and Modern Warfare 2 would score slightly lower; MGS4, God of War III and Dead Space would also get this score or slightly lower; and I'm sure we all know how good they looked! The only three games I can think of that I would maybe rate slightly higher than GT5 would be Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 and Final Fantasy XIII. So really, it's nothing to lose sleep over.

Hi Dan.
I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to look and see what class the Oreca Vipers are that are in GT5.

Also, are all tracks available for practice in GT mode or do they unlock by level relative to GT4?

It doesn't seem to be as before with the ratings. The tracks all seem to be available from the go; which was great. Trying out route 7 in a Zonda-R was great fun!

Heh I just love how a GTP guy just happens to give GT5 a 9.0 or higher in every category. Somehow I feel like real game reviewers will be less generous. Glad you're enjoying the game though.

I can see a few sick days being thrown from next Wednesday onwards, lol.

Man... is it really only a few days away now. I haven't been this giddy since the run up to the release of GT4, lol.

Thanks for the review. 👍 I hope you're enjoying the game. :)

It's only three days now until the rest of us can play it. :D

Anyway, there's a new function to the A-Spec and B-Spec side of things this time. Much like, just about every other other game at the moment, your 'driver' will level-up based on the experience (EXP) he gains by winning races (true for both A & B-Spec modes). But, these levels are now the true currency of GT, for much of the earlier parts of the game. So, you'll start at level 0, and buy your first car. But, you can't just go and buy any old car; you need to buy one within both your budget AND your A-Spec level. It's an interesting design decision, and one which is obviously designed to combat short-cutting the game mode; but with even things like the ability to race in certain tournaments and view manufacturers blocked-off until an appropriate level is reached, I wondered if they'd gotten a bit carried away with the whole idea. I mean, isn't that what licences, skill and money are for?

Its the first time I heard of this concept - so thanks for the impressions, its a very interesting read. I am not sure I am sold on this A-Spec points concept of shaping how you begin the game by virtue of limiting which cars you can start with. I liked the idea of a blank template of the used car garage and off you go!

Between this, the low number of premium cars, lack of golden oldie tracks and lack of customisation of standard cards visually, the first hand experience will have to be mindblowing for me to consign GT4 to the shelf i think.

Heh I just love how a GTP guy just happens to give GT5 a 9.0 or higher in every category. Somehow I feel like real game reviewers will be less generous. Glad you're enjoying the game though.

So because he is from GTP he should rate it lower? You dont make any sense. Its his personla review, just like any other reviewer. That their info with a grain of salt.

In fact, I think that if someone from here were to review it, they would be less generous on the game, as they are far more critical on the game, what with being such huge fans. If anything, regular reviewers would be more generous.

Thanks for the review.

I have a question tho. I'm not a very good driver, playing with a controller and generally driving too fast in corners :)
I did manage 99,8% or so in GT3 (only some complex string timetrail undone), how would you say the difficulty of the license tests are compared to GT3? And are gold on them doable for a mediocre player?

How much money do you start out with and can you buy a premuim car that is not an mx5?

You start with 20k as seen in Chris the dudes video.

Autozam Mazda AZ-1 is 14,900cr.

standard Impreza STi version II '95 costs just over 18k but that might be too easy for some..

Last edited:
In fact, I think that if someone from here were to review it, they would be less generous on the game, as they are far more critical on the game, what with being such huge fans. If anything, regular reviewers would be more generous.

I think it depends on who you got to do it... some would be overly critical and some would give it perfect 10's after 20 seconds in photomode.

Thank you for this well written spoiler free review. It was interesting to read and you gave very clear examples to explain your conclusions.
I'd like to know a bit more about the graphics: I'm curious if you've seen any jaggies (maybe the proper term is screen tear, I'm not sure about that because English isn't my first language). I ask this because prologue had them a lot, mostly on the edge where one car panel meets the other, both in the menus and while racing. GT5 seems to have thesame sub full hd resolution because, like with prologue, on the box it says it only supports 1080p which is not thesame as full hd.
If you've seen these jaggies then I'd like to know how often and on what kind of tv you've been playing.

I'm curious if you've seen any jaggies (maybe the proper term is screen tear, I'm not sure about that because English isn't my first language).

Yeah those are jaggies (or "aliasing" if you wanna be technical), screen tear is something else. I don't have the game but I've noticed there are some jaggies on the shadows... I haven't seen them anywhere else.

Cheers for the details review. I do say, reading all the reviews and what not makes me want the game even more and more.

Just a quick question though, have you found anything yet that is almost 'impossible'?

And would buying a different starter car (Say you buy something cheap and average rather then something expensive and able to smash the AI) lead to you going another way in the game? Or are the starter cars basically your choice of 'Hard' and 'Easy'?

Back