GT5 - First Steps to Hybrids

• Thread starter deba94
  • 43 comments
deba94
Ever wonder if GT5 cars could be hybrided? If so, me too. :) I've had some theories about the game data, but I won't be able to apply them without your help!

First a disclaimer:
NOTE: AT THE MOMENT, THE ONLY POSSIBLE WAY TO MODIFY ANY GAME DATA IN ANY GAME IS WITH A JAILBROKEN PS3. THIS MEANS THAT THE CONSOLE MUST BE ON A FIRMWARE LOWER THAN 3.56, AND THUS MEANS THE CONSOLE CANNOT GO ONLINE. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO PLAY ONLINE WITH A JAILBROKEN PS3.
I hope this answers any questions about possible cheating online.

Now for some background info about me:
I'm a computer programmer, you may know me from the Arduino B-Spec automator. I have two PS3s, one I use for homebrew (jailbroken), the other for online gaming.

Now that that's out of the way, let us begin!

On the GT5 disc, is a GT.vol file. Just like the GT games before 5, it's one big archive containing game data including music, cars, etc. This is a huge file, weighing in at 12098856960 bytes, about 11.3GB.

I'm fairly new to the Gran-Turismo-data-modification-scene, and have little to no knowledge on the compression format used on the GT.vol files, but all I can say is that the tools used for previous games fail to unpack this file.
So I looked for another route...

The best route I found was DLC. All PS3 DLC comes in packages called PKGs (heh). I've taken a look at one piece of DLC, the Edge Special Camaro. The PKG can be found here. I have unpacked this PKG using freely available tools, and have yet to conclude anything significant... More PKGs are required.

Which is where you guys come in ;).

It would be helpful if people could grab this links of other DLC (chrome line, stealth) the same way I have grabbed the Camaro link.
(NOTE: DLC IS LOCKED TO THE ACCOUNT IT IS DOWNLOADED FROM, THIS IS IN NO WAY A METHOD OF STEALING DLC. ALSO, THERE IS NO RISK OF BEING TRACKED BY PROVIDING A LINK, ALL LINKS ARE THE SAME PER DLC AND COME FROM THE zeus.dl.playstation.net DOMAIN.)

To do this: (jailbreak not required)
1. Download this
2. Extract to a location
3. Start the program
4. Follow the instuctions (on the PS3, go to connection settings and set it up normally. When you reach "Use Proxy" select yes and enter the ip address and port shown in the program.)
5. Connect to PSN and go to your Downloaded Content in the Playstation Store.
6. Find your chrome line and/or stealth DLC and select "download" (you may cancel once the download has begun.)
7. Look at the program, and copy the link that begins with "zeus.dl.playstation.net"
8. Paste it into this thread!

Any help would be appreciated :)
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Sounda a lot like hacking at the start.

Any news on this guys?

Yeah, what happened here? I mean, I knew this would take awhile, but it seems like the thread just died. Any new breakthroughs? Anyone? If only we could figure out how to read the game disc on a computer, that would make everything easier.

Yeah, what happened here? I mean, I knew this would take awhile, but it seems like the thread just died. Any new breakthroughs? Anyone? If only we could figure out how to read the game disc on a computer, that would make everything easier.

You should see the files.

The folders are all random letters, and so are the files.

Something doesn't sound right there. Unless GT5 all of a sudden can read random letters as code, something isn't transferring properly. If I had any way of reading something like GT5 on my computer I might be able to help.
In about six months I should, but until than I wait.

Something doesn't sound right there. Unless GT5 all of a sudden can read random letters as code, something isn't transferring properly. If I had any way of reading something like GT5 on my computer I might be able to help.
In about six months I should, but until than I wait.

The files and folders are intentionally obfuscated.
The contents of the files are encrypted.
Files from the disk are copied to dev_hdd0/game/BCES00569/USRDIR
Any updates are copied in there aswell.

Here are the contents of update 1.08
All the other files and folders look like this.

This is what 1.08 did.
GT5 wikia
The Special Stage Route 7 circuit was patched where it had been possible to shortcut the circuit.

Last edited:
At what point does codebreaking the the PS3 become illegal? Anything is possible, even the deepest of encryptions, but finding the key may not be exactly within the restraints of the law. Possible, it remains.

At what point does codebreaking the the PS3 become illegal? Anything is possible, even the deepest of encryptions, but finding the key may not be exactly within the restraints of the law. Possible, it remains.

I am just glad you operate under such constraints.

Last edited:
And that means what to me? How far are we from GT5 Hybrids? I still miss my favourite GT4 Hybrid, the S2002 …

Classic 70ies Beemer with screaming Honda VTEC four pot – the best car for the Nordschleife ever …

Heist2002.jpg

27.jpg

deba94
First a disclaimer:
NOTE: AT THE MOMENT, THE ONLY POSSIBLE WAY TO MODIFY ANY GAME DATA IN ANY GAME IS WITH A JAILBROKEN PS3. THIS MEANS THAT THE CONSOLE MUST BE ON A FIRMWARE LOWER THAN 3.56, AND THUS MEANS THE CONSOLE CANNOT GO ONLINE. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO PLAY ONLINE WITH A JAILBROKEN PS3.
I hope this answers any questions about possible cheating online.

This is 100% incorrect if anyone hasn't said this already. For a while you couldn't get online with a jailbroken PS3. Now as of about 4 months now you can get online. Some people have released the LVL 0 Keys and many other coding to get you online with your jailbroken PS3. Just saying this now.

Maybe you will have better luck modding the eboot for the game which can
be decrypt.

If you look closely you will find car names like Nike, if the Nike car is
removed why still leave traces of it.

You will also find two key's in the eboot not sure what they are for.

No one has made a extractor for GTPSP and i don't see one been made
for GT5 anytime unless those key's in the eboot are used to decrypt data.

You say you need the other DLC to see what is different in them. well
nothing really just car names and a different key to say you have right's
to unlock stuff on the disc or that was put in the game through a update.

if someone ports cwcheat to PS3 modding would be easily done. I've been
looking at a memory dump of GTPSP and found references to debug menu
which lets you unlock all cars in all colors and tones of other stuff and i bet
GT5 has a hidden menu as well.

Have you seen this site http://forum.xentax.com/viewforum.php?f=21
maybe you will have some luck on getting someone to make a extractor
on that site.

Edit:
Here are some other DLC files to fill your curiosity http://www.mediafire.com/?i95j5xrwws7d5y5
includes NASCAR Car, McLaren F1 Stealth Model, Mecedes SLS AMG Stealth Model.

The Nascar Car, McLaren f1 and SLS DLC links are for the BCUS98114? or others? thanks

Back