GT5 - going back to how it used to be?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nitro_2005
  • 43 comments
  • 4,731 views
Messages
1,914
I recently watched a review of GT3 and the reviewer made a good point when he said that it was the last GT that was both simple and fun. I'm starting to get a feeling that GT5 is going to be that way as well. For example, from what I can see the menu systems including the main home page are very slick, not overly complicated and easy to navigate and use. Plus, the home page has everything you need all compacted into a few big icons with some smaller ones just to the side of them. Looking back, GT4's "map" as it were was a bit stretched out and everything was all over the place. Thankfully, it looks like PD have gone back to something much easier to navigate.

Plus there's the added course maker, karting, drift mode, day/night cycle, weather, damage, online play etc. And not to forget the nigh on 1000 cars and 70+ tracks. If you think about it, this game is becoming a fusion of the last two complete games (not counting GT5P) - you've got the content and variety levels of GT4 mixed with the simplicity and fun factor of GT3.

What do you guys think? :)
 
I absolutely loved GT3, and the menus in GT4 were simply staggering, a truly piece of art, along with the BGM. And you're right, GT3 was a bit more fun, I hope GT5 does comeback to it's style!
 
Brand new experience comes from a master piece created by P.D.

Can't wait till it's out here. :)
 
I recently watched a review of GT3 and the reviewer made a good point when he said that it was the last GT that was both simple and fun.

Classic Game Room Review? :)

Either way, i agree with you. I think/hope this game will be simple. Not watered down like in GT4.
 
Classic Game Room Review? :)

Either way, i agree with you. I think/hope this game will be simple. Not watered down like in GT4.


Haha, I've watched that review too, he starts saying something about Snoop Dogg.
 
Haha, I've watched that review too, he starts saying something about Snoop Dogg.

He made a song all about Gran Turismo. :lol:
 
I think nitro has a really good point there. A more simple main screen in GT Mode is important because I often got lost in GT4's one. As in sometimes I couldn't find certain places and as said things were just scattered and you're a bit like "woah.. where is Germany..? OH there it is!" or something like that. I'm liking the look of GT5 it really will be something different.
 
:S the GT4 menu to me was the best out of any GT game, it is much more modern than the GT1-GT3 menu's not to mention the music in the menu is just epic and the little things like 'Welcome to GT world (Name)' in the corner made it feel like you owned this massive map of cars and tracks, amazing.
 
I hate navigating the GT4 menu with my DFGT wheel.
 
I'm too lazy - the cord isn't long enough. Wireless controllers on the PS3 are a godsend.

Good thing these days have those kind of stuff. 👍
 
I hate navigating the GT4 menu with my DFGT wheel.
I hate navigating the GT4 menu, period. I don't need simple "Welcome to GT World ..." in the corner to make me feel special. What I do appreciate, however, is a nicely laid out, logical, clean interface. The GT4 map was quite random and needlessly spread out.
 
I think nitro has a really good point there. A more simple main screen in GT Mode is important because I often got lost in GT4's one. As in sometimes I couldn't find certain places and as said things were just scattered and you're a bit like "woah.. where is Germany..? OH there it is!" or something like that. I'm liking the look of GT5 it really will be something different.

I hate navigating the GT4 menu, period. I don't need simple "Welcome to GT World ..." in the corner to make me feel special. What I do appreciate, however, is a nicely laid out, logical, clean interface. The GT4 map was quite random and needlessly spread out.

You guys would be horrible travel agents. I mean really, did you fail geography or something? Everyone knows where Germany is. Everyone knows where Japan is. I wasn't random; if you wanted the euro events, you'd go to Europe. Same for america, same for Japanese events. The map was small enough that you were never more than a screen away from anything at any time so provided you moved away from the one dead end whatever you wanted would be smack bang in the middle of the screen.

I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish but GT4 had one of the best interface designs of all time!
 
You guys would be horrible travel agents. I mean really, did you fail geography or something? Everyone knows where Germany is. Everyone knows where Japan is. I wasn't random; if you wanted the euro events, you'd go to Europe. Same for america, same for Japanese events. The map was small enough that you were never more than a screen away from anything at any time so provided you moved away from the one dead end whatever you wanted would be smack bang in the middle of the screen.

I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish but GT4 had one of the best interface designs of all time!

I completely agree with you, GT4 had hands down the best interface / GT World map ever (IMO). I'm actually kinda sad GT5's is going to be different, but from what I can see, it won't be bad at all.
 
I completely agree with you, GT4 had hands down the best interface / GT World map ever (IMO). I'm actually kinda sad GT5's is going to be different, but from what I can see, it won't be bad at all.

Have we got any screens of GT mode yet? We've seen the icon for GT mode, as well as tuning menus, etc, but nothing on the World Map level (or similar).

If I find out it's gone because some guys couldn't find Germany on a labelled and coloured map (with flags), I'll nuke a small tropical island.
 
I hope I will be far more impressed by this that I were by GT4. I enjoyed GT3 very much but by the time 4 was released, it was just starting to feel a little old and too repetitive. I hope GT5 will feel so fresh and Prologue points in the right direction.
 
Have we got any screens of GT mode yet? We've seen the icon for GT mode, as well as tuning menus, etc, but nothing on the World Map level (or similar).

If I find out it's gone because some guys couldn't find Germany on a labelled and coloured map (with flags), I'll nuke a small tropical island.

gt5-menu.jpg


Sorry about the low quality, there's higher resolution images around.
 
The best part about GT3 was the ability to easily create hybrids. Engine swaps, drivetrain swaps, and much more. I would love to see those features in GT5.
 
You guys would be horrible travel agents. I mean really, did you fail geography or something? Everyone knows where Germany is. Everyone knows where Japan is. I wasn't random; if you wanted the euro events, you'd go to Europe. Same for america, same for Japanese events. The map was small enough that you were never more than a screen away from anything at any time so provided you moved away from the one dead end whatever you wanted would be smack bang in the middle of the screen.

I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish but GT4 had one of the best interface designs of all time!

I absolutely agree with you, I also noticed that they were based on their real locations.
 
You guys would be horrible travel agents. I mean really, did you fail geography or something? Everyone knows where Germany is. Everyone knows where Japan is. I wasn't random; if you wanted the euro events, you'd go to Europe. Same for america, same for Japanese events. The map was small enough that you were never more than a screen away from anything at any time so provided you moved away from the one dead end whatever you wanted would be smack bang in the middle of the screen.

I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish but GT4 had one of the best interface designs of all time!
Wow, so now my dislike of the UI in GT4 is all down to me supposedly not knowing where Europe, US and Japan are relative to each other? You really do know everything, don't you Mr Smarty Pants? :rolleyes:

The map navigation was clunky. Had a mouse pointer approach been taken where it just floats over everything, it would have been easier to move around, but as it was you had to play leapfrog, and it wasn't always clear which direction you needed to press in order to get to a given icon. If the place you wanted to be was above and to the left of you, sometimes you'd need to press "up" to get there, and others you'd need to press "left" to get there, depending on the placement of other icons around it. Hence the difficulties Ascari_Gruppe had when navigating with his DFGT.

Plenty of people I know disliked the map interface on GT4 for that very same reason, which is probably why you haven't see anything like that in GT5.
 
Gaming has changed a lot since GT1,2,3 and 4. Back in those days the Final Fantasy games where the system sellers, I don't think anything could be further from the truth today. For me, the most important part of GT5 is how the on-line functionality works.

The day I first played MotoGP: Ultimate Racing Technology for Xbox1 I haven't played GT since. (I think at the time I had GT4:Prologue). It was the first console racer that I think had really good on-line play.

First off, let me say, if I was asked to put together a list of desired features for GT5 single player - Poly have pretty much every base covered. I didn't even want livery editor because I don't want to be exposed to a bunch of crap decals that teenagers have put over an otherwise pretty car.

However, every time I read about a feature in GT5 (track creator / customization) all that I want to know is how it'll work on-line? What worries me is, there is no gold standard for on-line driving games already out there already.
 
In a way I feel like that's the case and yet not completely. GT5 seems like it's going back for some things and forward for some other things. You can help but look at the way Polyphony has been improving and changing what they've done with the interface and the way the game is structured. Especially now that they're adding so much to the B-Spec aspect of the game.

I liked the GT4 world map but you have to agree that GT3 system was a bit more practical. Either way from what we've seen of the various GT5 builds at shows and GT5:Prologue, I think we can all agree that this game will be very special and that PD know exactly what they're doing.
 
Yes it's changed since 1,2 and 3 but 4 came out what 5 years ago? I don't recall gaming being different :S? the 360 had launched in 2005 and online gaming was in full swing for many years prior.
 
GT4 was the first I didn't enjoy.

If GT5 recalls the spirit of GT2 which I recently bought again, then I'll be happy in my purchase of a PS3 to play it.
 
The return of Entrance Fees, anyone??

I think it would provide added grind in a good way, make you always shoot for podiums\1st just to recoup.
 
The return of Entrance Fees, anyone??

I think it would provide added grind in a good way, make you always shoot for podiums\1st just to recoup.

Gran Turismo had entrance fees? Which game? :confused:
 
Back