GT5 honest opinion

  • Thread starter Thread starter J19NYB
  • 41 comments
  • 2,640 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
35
Messages
J19NYB
Yesterday was the 1st time since its launch that I removed GT5 from the PS and honestly cant see myself playing it again. How many others feel like this?
 
Not me....not yet.....I have been waiting for this game for a long time. Although not perfect, it's still bad ass.
 
Yesterday was the 1st time since its launch that I removed GT5 from the PS and honestly cant see myself playing it again. How many others feel like this?

I'll play it till I get Shift 2, then I'll leave it rest for a long while...When I'll get bored of shift 2, I'll use GT5 again...I already removed GT5 from my PS3 many times before, played TDU2 and went back to Shift...Especially when I was bored of GRINDING :grumpy:
 
The wow factor just isn't there for me. I remember when I purchased GT4 I was in awe of the game. It had everything. All the bells and whistles. To wait 6 years and have GT5 come out and be what it is..really is a disappointment. They shoulda went the EA Sports route and kept relatively the same game as GT4..added a few new cars...tweaked all the cars they had in GT4 to premium...tossed in a few bells and whistles...threw it in a blender and they'd have a better game. Six years to come up with what they did? FAIL.
 
I have to quote one of my favourite band´s song: "I just can´t get enough".
 
I have to quote one of my favourite band´s song: "I just can´t get enough".
And GT5 is my "personal jesus".... wait I don't even like depeche mode....


BTW yes, the game has lost the "wow" effect but it's still pure fun for me, I'm not playing every day, all day long as I did a couple of months before, but it's still in my mind...
 
And GT5 is my "personal jesus".... wait I don't even like depeche mode....


BTW yes, the game has lost the "wow" effect but it's still pure fun for me, I'm not playing every day, all day long as I did a couple of months before, but it's still in my mind...
I would have to agree. Although I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling as I did with GT4. I still play 3-5 times a week.
 
And GT5 is my "personal jesus".... wait I don't even like depeche mode....


BTW yes, the game has lost the "wow" effect but it's still pure fun for me, I'm not playing every day, all day long as I did a couple of months before, but it's still in my mind...

That was a good one, mate. Quite solidaric, too. DM has seen the future back then ;)
 
I think there should be an option to open everything up for those who want to race and tune cars rather than earn credits and xp. Remember when games used to come with cheat codes built in, that was for the people who wanted to open up parts of the game they couldn't get to any other way. I don't understand why so many people care how many cars I have or how I got them. It really doesn't affect them either way. They just have to feel like they can get something I can't, I guess that somehow makes them better than me. They are not, I paid full price for the game too, I should be able to unlock the whole game without making a life commitment. That said, I would like collecting the cars if they were MUCH more affordable and we could still trade all the cars, but PD doesn't want us to be able to do that. I would keep playing the game longer if I could just race and tune the cars I want, not just the FEW I can "afford". Wake up PD, and let us play the whole game not just a small part of it without a MAJOR time commitment. That would add replay value.
 
will play the game much longer, just removed the disc once or twice in the last months to play one match in fifa or watch a bluray :>

i think there is a big update coming soon which will give us more tracks and races. i still have faith that we get that, even if it takes 2 or 3 months more to get there.
 
The wow factor just isn't there for me. I remember when I purchased GT4 I was in awe of the game. It had everything. All the bells and whistles. To wait 6 years and have GT5 come out and be what it is..really is a disappointment. They shoulda went the EA Sports route and kept relatively the same game as GT4..added a few new cars...tweaked all the cars they had in GT4 to premium...tossed in a few bells and whistles...threw it in a blender and they'd have a better game. Six years to come up with what they did? FAIL.

I agree, that is why Bad Company 2 is in my PS3 most of the time
 
Of course, even fanatics have to take a break from time to time. For me, it was MGS3 and Ace Combat in GT4-times, now it's MGS4
 
I only remove the disc when I want a spot of Timesplitters.

I don't understand why it's so addicting but this game is.
 
I'll be taking it out when S2U drops. Whether I put it back in soon is up to SMS. Mind you, I don't think I'll trade it in. Every now and again, I'm going to want to hotlap the 'Ring with time transition. At least there's ONE thing worth keeping it for!
 
Eh, Its lost the wow factor. I own all the premiums I'm interested in for the most part. I want the Superbird still out of the UCD, but for what? I don't use the standards for anything more than smoking tires off of them when I'm bored. I don't race them. Let me know when they have new events, tracks and premiums. Sounds like a lot to ask for, but... would be much appreciated.
 
I still have a few things left to do, but I will be getting back to some Black Ops fun and maybe get the new map pack for it. I might pop it in once a week or so. Unless I get Tiger Woods...
 
I'll play it till I get Shift 2, then I'll leave it rest for a long while...When I'll get bored of shift 2, I'll use GT5 again...I already removed GT5 from my PS3 many times before, played TDU2 and went back to Shift...Especially when I was bored of GRINDING :grumpy:

Thanks for the advice. Shift 2 looks pretty good except that the resolution is only 720p, but, it looks like what GT5, should have been. This might be the solution to grinding/GT5.

👍
 
GT5 as a game on the track: great
GT5 as a game off the track: bad

Overall: somewhere between mediocre and good
 
Yesterday was the 1st time since its launch that I removed GT5 from the PS and honestly cant see myself playing it again. How many others feel like this?

That means 3 good months! I don't play most games for that long... and I am still playing!
 
That means 3 good months! I don't play most games for that long... and I am still playing!

3 months is not much for me, I bought the console in March and MW2 was in from the day I bought it till the day GT5 came out at the end of November 👍
 
That means 3 good months! I don't play most games for that long... and I am still playing!
Exacly:tup:
For example one of the games I love is Fallout 3. Is so cool that it was the GOTY of 2008. I have it for a long time and I have ~250 hours of playing it, but not straightforward.
I have GT5 for ~3 and a half months with countless hous of playing, having fun but also playing other games in the middle, such as Shift, Fallout 3, Just Cause 2, GTA 4 etc. So if I'm playing everyday everyweek the same game, I would be very tired of it too. So find other games and play them along with GT5, it's better and funnier:):sly:
 
Same thing happened to me , someone else wanted to play Shift now I'm not sure GT5 will make it back in the PS3.
 
I have said this before and I'll say it again. Gran Turismo, the series in general, is not a short term game. If you want to play a game for a month, two, or three and then jump ship when the newest, hottest game comes out then GT5 is not for you. I can honestly say that I will be playing GT5 until GT6 comes out. That's the way it's been with GT5P, GT4, GT3, GT2 and GT1 for me. I love the game with all its faults, because there's nothing on the Playstation (or Xbox or Wii) that comes close to it when you are talking about car racing. I have tried other racing titles on my PS2, but I disappointed and for PS3 I haven't bought another game.

I have played FM3 extensively for three weeks straight on a business trip and was sorrily disappointed. I almost bought a used Xbox for FM3 when GT5 was being delayed, and I am glad I didn't waste my money.

My point is, the people who want to complete a game quick and finish it to 100% will not like GT5. It takes a lot of commitment and time to finish this game. Yes, the playability factor was greater on GT4, they had to make it that way since there was no psn network connection. GT5 was made from the start to be an upgradeable platform, where through updates (and hopefully DLCs in the future) the game gets new races, new challenges. We have seen some of that through the Seasonal Events, etc.

I see a lot of people complaining about not being able to collect 1000 cars in a short time , or not being able to make 20,000,000 credits for a rare collectable car. You know what? I usually work full time and take two college classes. I play GT5 on my spare time and have amassed over 130 cars, $3.5 million in the bank and I have bought one of the 20 million dollar cars. If I can do it so can you.

The only thing that worries me right now for the future of the GT series is the current situation in Japan. As much as I want more updates, more races, and DLC, I hope first of all that PD employees in Japan and their families are safe. I will patiently wait and hope for the best, both for their employees families and for the GT series. I'll keep waiting for GT6, while playing GT5 day in, day out.
 
I have said this before and I'll say it again. Gran Turismo, the series in general, is not a short term game. If you want to play a game for a month, two, or three and then jump ship when the newest, hottest game comes out then GT5 is not for you. I can honestly say that I will be playing GT5 until GT6 comes out. That's the way it's been with GT5P, GT4, GT3, GT2 and GT1 for me. I love the game with all its faults, because there's nothing on the Playstation (or Xbox or Wii) that comes close to it when you are talking about car racing. I have tried other racing titles on my PS2, but I disappointed and for PS3 I haven't bought another game.

I have played FM3 extensively for three weeks straight on a business trip and was sorrily disappointed. I almost bought a used Xbox for FM3 when GT5 was being delayed, and I am glad I didn't waste my money.

My point is, the people who want to complete a game quick and finish it to 100% will not like GT5. It takes a lot of commitment and time to finish this game. Yes, the playability factor was greater on GT4, they had to make it that way since there was no psn network connection. GT5 was made from the start to be an upgradeable platform, where through updates (and hopefully DLCs in the future) the game gets new races, new challenges. We have seen some of that through the Seasonal Events, etc.

I see a lot of people complaining about not being able to collect 1000 cars in a short time , or not being able to make 20,000,000 credits for a rare collectable car. You know what? I usually work full time and take two college classes. I play GT5 on my spare time and have amassed over 130 cars, $3.5 million in the bank and I have bought one of the 20 million dollar cars. If I can do it so can you.

The only thing that worries me right now for the future of the GT series is the current situation in Japan. As much as I want more updates, more races, and DLC, I hope first of all that PD employees in Japan and their families are safe. I will patiently wait and hope for the best, both for their employees families and for the GT series. I'll keep waiting for GT6, while playing GT5 day in, day out.

a quote from another thread,

"The 1,031 cars in the game cost a grand total of about 491,000,000 credits. 811 (=79%) of the cars are standard models, which means they are only available as "used" cars through the UCD. To enjoy their full potential you'll need to do engine and body rebuilds for all used cars, which will cost you approximately 389,000,000 credits. Purchasing all tuning parts for all cars would come to total expenses of 393,000,000 credits. So getting all cars with all tuning parts comes to a grand total of about 1,273,000,000 credits.

With a payout of 70,000 credits the A-Spec Indy race in Like the Wind is indeed the "fastest" way to make money in GT5. With a Red Bull X2010 and rubberband-grinding the race can be done in about 4 minutes, which comes to about 1,000,000 credits per hour. Roughly every 20 hours you will have to stop grinding and spend 20,000,000 credits, as that is the maximum you are allowed to have at any given time in GT5. At this point you will also have to rotate the UCD for a couple of hours to actually find cars to buy that you don't already own.

Consequently, even if you quit your job, leave your family, and spend all your time with GT5, it would take at least 64 days of non-stop 24-hours-per-day rubberband-grinding (earning credits) and UCD-rotation-grinding (finding cars) to get all the cars.

Of course, this only works if you have an X2010. Which you won't have, thanks to the gifting limit. Getting it requires another 20 days of 24/7 grinding, btw. Oh, what joy GT5 brings... "



Now having said that, if you like doing this, then this game is for you. GREAT! I'm happy for you. But, guess what Sanmusa, not everyone likes what you and other fan boys/girls like to do.
Other people have different opinions on how a game should be.
I have been a GT fan since GT1 and GT2.
I skipped over GT3 and GT4 and anxiously waited for GT5, and much to my displeasure, discovered that PD has created "Grind Turismo" and forced limitations on trading which they offered from the release of the game, forced us to spend money on cars that we don't really want in order to keep us grinding in hopes that the car that we want will show up in the UCD or OLD some day.
I don't even want to collect all the cars, but even the ones that I do want to collect, will take me a considerable amount of time to get. (UCD and OLD allowing) Which, would probably be the same time GT6 comes out. And, if history repeats itself, I'd have to wait another 6 years!:lol:
Now, for you to tell other people, play the game the same way you did because you did it, is pointless and to be NICE, silly. You and other fan boys can't tell me how I should play this game.

Not everyone uses rubber bands to "play" and not everyone is a narrow minded automaton fan boy who's afraid to play other games that look like what GT SHOULD have been. A racing simulator. http://www.needforspeed.com/shift2unleashed

So, to answer the thread, honestly, I can not see myself playing this bad rendition of a, driving simulator, (what GT used to be) for much longer.
 
Last edited:
I achieved level 40 and nothing more to achieve. I'm really disapointed now with GT5. I hold it back coz i do like this game - until today. The bonus games are just a joke. AI are so slow!! I want to try that Shift 2 when it comes out. I wish Polyphony would put challenging races specially people who have reach top levels. what else to do?
I did not expect this. My PS3 might be off for a long time till the urge to race come back. Help me.
 
@KrazyM82:
Quote: "Now having said that, if you like doing this, then this game is for you."

Are you serious about that? I really think the opposite! This game is not about grinding and reaching level 40, getting all cars and complete 100% in the fastest possible time! I don't get why so many people are just playing to get platinum and don't even like the game? All the complaints and still they are playing it??? Or do they just read and post in a forum about a game they don't like?

I don't grind and will never grind as this is the most boring thing you can do... Maybe I do some races 10 times but definitively not Indy... I like driving races and having fun with the cars I bought so far and getting new ones, if I can afford them or I see them pop up in the UCD...

I like the game as the physics are great and NFS is no competition in this aspect! Afraid of how GT5 should have been... ok then, noone wants to convince you to stick with any game!


@sanmusa: 👍
 
@KrazyM82:
Quote: "Now having said that, if you like doing this, then this game is for you."

Are you serious about that? I really think the opposite! This game is not about grinding and reaching level 40, getting all cars and complete 100% in the fastest possible time! I don't get why so many people are just playing to get platinum and don't even like the game? All the complaints and still they are playing it??? Or do they just read and post in a forum about a game they don't like?

I don't grind and will never grind as this is the most boring thing you can do... Maybe I do some races 10 times but definitively not Indy... I like driving races and having fun with the cars I bought so far and getting new ones, if I can afford them or I see them pop up in the UCD...

I like the game as the physics are great and NFS is no competition in this aspect! Afraid of how GT5 should have been... ok then, noone wants to convince you to stick with any game!


@sanmusa: 👍

because PD "duped" GT fans into buying this game and they have nothing better to play until 3/29.

PD hasn't convinced me, nor any fan boy.

the physics look A LOT better in Shift 2 and seem more realistic than ANY GT game ever.

and no i'm not afraid of how GT5 should have been, i'm sick of waiting for 6 years to only be disapointed?! Even with all the patches they still don't have it right. Time for a new game.
 
Last edited:
i had shift 1 and tbh, it had a terrible physics engine. Their idea of realistic is sliding around a corner if you're at a remotely fast speed
 
All the Need For Speed series is too arcadey for me. I have tried many in the series before, including the lastest ones, and no, it doesn't come close to GT5.

With that said...

...not everyone is a narrow minded automaton fan boy who's afraid to play other games that look like what GT SHOULD have been. A racing simulator. http://www.needforspeed.com/shift2unleashed

I will be trying Shift 2 (and I'm not afriad of it, just know how NFS has been in the past...) for one main reason, which is where GT5 failed miserably for me: Shift 2 has Porsches, GT5 doesn't.

BTW, the OP wanted my honest opinion, and this what the OP got. Opinions are like a-holes; we all have them and they all stink.
 
Last edited:
I barely touch GT5 anymore. There just isn't enough playability in it. A-spec is too short. I would play almost every day if online were improved and had matchmaking, but with the current situation in Japan, that understandably isn't going to happen anytime soon. Driving around the Ring is great and everything, but I need more than that. I enjoy GT's physics more through racing than just driving.

Have been playing FM3 a lot lately and haven't been disappointed one bit. FM3 has plenty of events, more competitive AI, has matchmaking so it's much easier to start a race online, and has more cars that are actually useful for racing. I just wish I had a Fanatec wheel. But once GT5 gets matchmaking at least, it'll be right up there with FM3.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back