GT5 in 3D

• Thread starter DC9990
  • 221 comments

DC9990

Premium
GTP_DC9990
Hey guys,
I'm not sure if many out there have had the chance to try GT5 in 3D but I have so I thought I'd just make a little thread about it.

I'll start off by saying the only reason I got my 3D TV was because it was only £50 more than a none 3D TV & this one looked better even in 2D so I thought I'd go for it (I didnt think I'd actually use the 3D but its there just incase)
I always thought the 3D thing was just some gimmick to get people to spend hundreds more on a TV.

Anyway, I played this in 3D yesterday as my 3D glasses hadn't arrived yet. I was impressed by the graphics but the jaggy shadows kept annoying me on B-spec mode. Nothing worse than watching a beautiful car speeding round a track with huge jagged shadows.

Today my 3D glasses came in the post, so I charged them up & put GT5 into 3D mode (which automatically turned my TV into 3D mode too.)

The main menu screen is in 3D so your car actually looks like its some distance away. So I go into GT Life, where the menu is 2D. I ended up going to do the Mercedes challenge. Wow!! :crazy: As soon as you get in the car it looks AMAZING! The sense of depth is breathtaking, I caught myself randomly smiling & just muttering "no way..." most of the time.

The whole of the cockpit looks amazing too, even the speedometers needle looked great!
After finishing each part I got treated to a 3D trophy, which might I add looks great too, It looks like its about a metre into the TV. Also the garage/dealerships are in 3D too which is a nice feature. Karts + 10FFB + 3D = FUN!!

Up to now everything blew me away but this is when I started encountering little problems.

Firstly when the 3D glasses are switched on they become even darker! My tv (not sure about others) automatically turned my backlight up to full so it wouldn't be too dark, it want enough. I went to do a night race & I literally couldnt see my steering wheel it was that dark. I could just increase the brightness in GT5s options but that makes the blacks grey which sucks)

Next up is when I went to race in my RE Amemiya RX7 (JGTC) at Suzuka some of the buildings in the distance became slightly blurred (hard to describe but its like when you concentrate on an object close to you you get double vision, well its kinda like that except one of them is just really feint but you do notice it& it can be a little distracting) when I was going 160+mph. There are some setting in GT5 to fine tune the 3D but I have no idea how much it needs adjusting.

All in all, it does look amazing. Playing GT5 in 3D with a wheel is as good as it gets, you really do feel immersed. It just has a few little problems that I need to somehow fix. These will not stop me from playing it in 3D though, I started off thinking 3D was just a gimmick & I still do, if you are getting a 3D TV for normal TV/Movies. For games though? I can see 3D being a big thing for gaming! I'm glad I got mine & I don't regret spending the extra cash.

I know this isn't exactly a great read but hopefully you'll get what I'm trying to say & hopefully it'll help people if they are considering a new TV soon/3DTV.

Hi i got the sony hx800 series 3d tv and the ghosting and crosseye is killing it for me. all my other games and movies work perfect but gt5 not so much. anyone with sony 3d tv gpt theirs pictures lookin okey? tried fiddling with ze options menu and crosseye but its so tiresome cant get a good pictures. anyone got any tips ?

Hi i got the sony hx800 series 3d tv and the ghosting and crosseye is killing it for me. all my other games and movies work perfect but gt5 not so much. anyone with sony 3d tv gpt theirs pictures lookin okey? tried fiddling with ze options menu and crosseye but its so tiresome cant get a good pictures. anyone got any tips ?

Same here. I got a 3D tv mainly for GT and thought a sony (hx8/40) one would work best with a ps3. COD worked fine and films work fine. The only way to stop the double vision is to turn the parralex down to one, which defeats the object cos it hardly looks 3D. I've readthat sony centres are setting up the game as a demo, I'm going to go ask them if theres a way to sort it out. After spendinf 1500 quid on one, pretty cheesed off.

I have a Panasonic VT25 50'' TV and I'm insanely happy with the 3D picture. There's very little crosstalk for me. Even with parallax maxed out. I 've seen some when going to photo locations and in other menu sections but in actual races it blew me away. It adds so much to the experience it's amazing. To me there was surprisingly little graphical degradation. I'm sure there's some when you look at details but during a race I'm focusing at just that: the race. And for that it totally rocks.

I have seen Sony 3D TV's in stores and I was always disappointed with the amount of crosstalk they show. I'm pretty sure it's the TV and not the game causing the excessive crosstalk.

happy for you that your pictures is good but it doesnt help me =) dont think its the tv sense the other 3d movies and games are so close to perfect but gt5 looks "bad". If i just my other games and movies would look like **** to i would be a happy fellow .. but now i know it can be soo much better.

Hmm interesting. Did you also experiment with the distance setting in GT5? I'm not even sure yet what that does exactly. And are you sure you set up the screen size correctly in the PS3 settings itself? You probably did but just trying to make sure.

B.t.w. I have one MAJOR gripe about 3D: I wish it could be turned on and off on the fly. It sucks that you have to go all the way to the main screen, then browse through options and turn it on or off. I for one would like to ONLY have it during races but right now it's an all-or-nothing kind of thing.

Macro what version of the ps3 you got? i got the old 80 gb eu version. gonna do some more experiments now.

edit. After fiddeling around for an hour this is my results. eavry thing default on ps3 and tv. the ui. the overlay speedmonitor and gear and map is perfect but the 3d game behind it is crossed eyed.

if i keep ps3/gt5 default mode. and switch deepth settings on my sony tv at +2 the overlay ui was crossed eyed but the 3d that was clossest to me that meaning steeringwheel and cockpit and up to 3-4 m was close to perfect but farther in to the screen things got crossed eyed again.

the crossed eye options on gt5 seems to do nothing or very little.

Last edited:
I am actually incredibly underwhelmed by the 3D effect, I'm hoping that it's just because I have the settings wrong. It's very annoying how in the settings menu there is nothing to reference the numbers that you are applying, you need something to look at, like a cockpit in-game for example, to know what the optimal settings are for your particular TV.

The Samsung TV I have seems to prefer the lower scale 3D settings for most other 3D compatible games, and they look okay, but never as good as 3D movies. I was wondering what settings others people have applied to get the best effect; I've tried most settings but I got sick of changing the settings, starting a race but then realising that they needed adjusting again.

Hi there. I'm using a Panasonic VT20 series TV and the game is looking great in 3D with no ghosting and minimal crosstalk (mainly on the racing line, which I turn off anyway). I've currently got parallax on 4 and convergence on 0. I'm going to try increasing convergence tonight and see if that adds to the effect without ruining the image.

I think what TV you have may make quite a difference to the quality of the effect. So far I'm very happy with it and prefer racing with it on.

Macro what version of the ps3 you got? i got the old 80 gb eu version. gonna do some more experiments now.

edit. After fiddeling around for an hour this is my results. eavry thing default on ps3 and tv. the ui. the overlay speedmonitor and gear and map is perfect but the 3d game behind it is crossed eyed.

if i keep ps3/gt5 default mode. and switch deepth settings on my sony tv at +2 the overlay ui was crossed eyed but the 3d that was clossest to me that meaning steeringwheel and cockpit and up to 3-4 m was close to perfect but farther in to the screen things got crossed eyed again.

the crossed eye options on gt5 seems to do nothing or very little.

Ihad another play with mine, the 3d works fine with both parrallex and set to around half way. But the cross talk in the cabin is rediculous what ever setting. I've managed to get it so the dials are right in the middle of the z plan of 3d, ie directly on the screen, so there is now no cross talk there, but some in the distance my settins are 5 and 0.8 hope they work for you. You would think that Kaz would have tailor made it for sony tvs first wouldnt you?

Used 3D mode briefly. Not thrilled, but didn't put any time into setup. Samsung 50" plasma. I'll go back to it later, but in the meantime any setup info appreciated...too busy clearing stages to experiment!!!

Does anyone know of a shortcut to enable/disable 3D?
The fact that you have to go all the way back to the main screen and then dig into the settings screens is SUPER annoying to me...

Another question guys: Am I the only one or is there a lot LESS tearing going on when playing in 3D? I barely see tearing, if any while in 2D it's pretty serious at times.

Needless to say I now play almost exclusively in 3D. Much better in my opinion. It also actually helps quite a bit in judging distances etc.

Still looking for a convenient way to turn it on an off though...

When I drive from bumperview the crosseye thing is very low on the road i switch view to cockpitview and the road get crosseyed. any one else noticed this? Why are the slling it as 3d game when its clearly not workin properly. feels like sloopy and rushed.

The crosstalk is an issue with the TV and not the game.

I posted the best settings I've found in another thread, and will do so here.

In car view settings...

Parallax - 3
Convergence - 0.90

Bumper cam

Parallax - 6
Convergence - 0.90

With the In car settings, I've removed virtually all crosstalk from the cockpit. There is still some there but its minimal at best and you have to look harder to see it. With the bumper cam settings, more crosstalk is introduced but it gives more of a 3D effect when in the other views. The extra crosstalk introduced isn't as noticeable because your not using the cockpit view which is where it is most obvious.

This was used on a Sony KDL46NX710 3D LED/LCD TV.

Best cars to give you the coolest 3D effect I've tried...

F40 + Circuit De La Sarthe 2009 Change Time

Green Nascar + Indianapolis

Art Morrison Corvette + Cape Ring Periphery

All from Arcade mode, have given me some of the most impressive results from a 3D setup. Hope that helps some of the crosstalk issues some of you are having.

Why is it the tv? movies and the other 3d games works awsome but gt5 you have to fiddle like a maniac to get a good picture. The signal the game sends out is ****?
Can it be the hdmi cable? That gt5 sends out to much bandwith and the cables cant handle it. I got a hdmi 1.4 cable that on the package said made for 3d. What is the top of the line cable?

Why is it the tv? movies and the other 3d games works awsome but gt5 you have to fiddle like a maniac to get a good picture. The signal the game sends out is ****?
Can it be the hdmi cable? That gt5 sends out to much bandwith and the cables cant handle it. I got a hdmi 1.4 cable that on the package said made for 3d. What is the top of the line cable?

Possibly because the game is running at 60 FPS?
I believe the HDMI 3D Gaming standard is limited to 720p/60Hz/FPS (Max) or in 1080p 24Hz/FPS (Max). It was done this way to work within the bandwidth.

Ghosting/Crosstalk like with early TFT monitors happens because of response time LAG. It typically is also more noticable between vibrant/strong colours against light backgrounds.

I dont own a 3DTV model yet and this game is the main focus for getting one for a cockpit. However research Ive done it is very aparent that LED type of screens suffer more from LAG than Plasma. I know some reviews and buyer/owners threads are available on "AV Forums.co.uk". The reviews Ive read have stated that so far according to the respected/reviewer the Panasonic GT (their new plasma model) has faster response times and also Samsungs Plasma 3DTV model (UK 6900/7000 unsure about 680 performance) have bettered Sony/LG/Samsung LED sets when it comes to Crosstalk.

Look it up as their is a GT5 3DTV thread with poeople offering their preferred settings, it might be of some help.

3DTV gets panned by many that havnt tried it just like people already where judging GT5 3D mode from the early Beta as well.
So its good to read some positive reports.

*Typically Plasma is under or around 20ms and LED is under or around 40ms from what Ive read so far.

Hey DC9990 what model did you buy?

Questions:
Are jaggies improved or worsened compared to 2D?
Whats been the most impressive moment in 3D for you guys?
Rate GT5 1-10 for 3D mode?

Last edited:
new member :)

Just bought LG 47" top of the line blah blah blah

I saw a question about changing 3D settings without going back to the menu, and MY answer is: chack your remote control, as mine has a 3D mode button, which turns the 3d on the tv on and off, and does not mess with the setting on GT5, thus allowing quick 2d/3d shifts.

Also, i JUST bought this tv. It is in fact the best of the best ( although not the biggest) you can get. Now, I am also experiencing slight double image problems, ever so slight yet noticeable. I also played with the "convergence Point" setting within the game menu and it did nothing that i could notice. My particular tv has a setting that you can change which eye perceives the depth and which one sees the secondary ( slightly lighter) image. Think of it like this. If you were aiming a gun, which eye do you close? The eye that stays open is your DEPENDANT eye. its the eye you rely on for depth. everybody is different. some left some right. Now if i change the setting from right/left to left/right, It improves the comfort of the 3D and helps the double image. hope this helps some people to fiddle with the settings on thier TV and leave the game setting alone (except for parallax of course :D )

Also, something to be aware of is which 3D mode(s) your tv has. I have 4 types of settings. And while the first 2 seem useless( just makes a mess of the images) the second 2 seem to be good for types of motion (slow/ fast). Play with these settings and THEn try to configure the convergence point after that. Ill keep updating with my findings based on 47" about 10 feet away.

Feel free to message me on the PSN and refer to post so I know how to reply.
Crimsonsoldier.

Good luck, and if anybody has reached a point of near success, Please post your settings.

Does anyone know of a shortcut to enable/disable 3D?
The fact that you have to go all the way back to the main screen and then dig into the settings screens is SUPER annoying to me...

Go to " my profile" on the left of the screen and access the options menu from there. :)

The results are in...*drum roll*

Convergence - .75 @ 8 feet from the TV
Parallax -9
AND...
go to display settings on the PS3 and turn off the Ycc/Rcc/Bcc Blah blah to Limited then go to the display settings in the game and turn the setting that is "normal" to "sharpen"

Best results i Have had so far... good luck everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a question about changing 3D settings without going back to the menu, and MY answer is: chack your remote control, as mine has a 3D mode button, which turns the 3d on the tv on and off, and does not mess with the setting on GT5, thus allowing quick 2d/3d shifts.

Welcome Crimsonsoldier :)

That button, only LG/Sony/Samsung have that as a button and I believe the Panasonic has it in its 3D options menu and not a dedicated button.

This will turn 3D on or off yes, but not as properly as the GT5 Options does. As you said though, handy if you want to quickly shift between the 2 settings without backing all the way out to the menu.

If you are playing GT5 in 2D mode and press that button, you will get a 'simulated' 3D image, not as good as the true 3D image but you retain the 1080p/60fps image.

If you are playing GT5 in 3D mode and press that button, it will turn 3D off, but you retain the 720p/30fps and the other issues you get with 3D but in 2D. (I'm talking mostly about the slowdown during replays/photomode)

There is no true shortcut to change between 3D/2D easily, you have to back out to GTlife or the main menu to access options to change the settings.

@ Mr Latte
From what I've played, Jaggies are as pronounced as in 720p mode. 720p looks worse than 1080p in terms of jaggies. I don't think 3D makes them any worse, or if it has, I certainly haven't noticed it.

Best 3D moment? I can name many. Rain/Snow usually looks spectacular. Today I raced a Standard car around Cote d'Azur, and for the first time I thought that 3D could actually be beneficial to judging corner/apex distance as I raced about hit apex after apex, it not only looked great, it felt great too!

Nascar and the SEMA GT Award 2010 Corvette look stunning in replay, in car looking at the driver is just so believable.

F40 + Le Mans change time, racing down Mulsanne straight passing cars, being drafted, watching the cars pass just inches from your car! Day turns to night, the sun dances across the trees with believable depth as cars disappear into the distance. Stunning.

As for rating out of 10. I'm not big on number scores, but if I must, 8/10. One of the best 3D games I've played. My issues to stop it getting higher score is replays take a hit in frame rate which make them bad to watch, and sometimes in a race with a lot of cars and weather happening, you'll get slowdown. I imagine a bit of optimizing of the 3D with a patch will fix this, if theres any power left to do so, and I'm hoping they do, as its soo good, but just not quite there yet.

@upsilandre

You can't export 3D photos currently. I hope they will enable this in the future, but for now, if you want to view your photo in 3D then you have to do it via GT5.

My Samsung 50" plasma doesn't do a good job of GT5 3D. Too indistinct, blacks not black enough. It's a much better picture without 3D.

Also...try tweaking your TV's 3D settings, not just GT5's.

It looks to me like rendering problems with the game an not TV problems. As others have said COD has no shadow problems at all on my HX803.

When your team is congratulating you for completing a license, look at the images _without glasses_. There are THREE copies of the same bloke. There's no way the glasses can converge that to a single image.

It's also clear that the track images are much better than the car images (presumably a different part of the rendering engine). I've seen nasty asymmetric light patches by the wheels of those pesky camper vans that are just wrong.

The game is fantastic in 3D but the sooner Sony fix these rendering problems the better. It's very bad PR for their excellent TVs.

@upsilandre

You can't export 3D photos currently. I hope they will enable this in the future, but for now, if you want to view your photo in 3D then you have to do it via GT5.

yes but for see this 3D photo in full res (1080p) need export mpo for visualise with Playmemories

---------------------------------------

My 3D setting for a true orthostereoscopic experience (and full depth)

Cockpit view with "Narrower" mode
Convergence: 0.9
Parallax: (size screen dependant)
65" = 6 or 7 (6 if you have a low interocular distance like 6.5cm or less, 7 if your interocular is near 7cm)
60" = 7
55" = 7 or 8 (7 if you have a low interocular like 6.5cm or less, 8 if your interocular is near 7cm)
50" = 8 or 9 (8 if you have a low interocular like 6.5cm or less, 9 if your interocular is near 7cm)
46" = 9
42/40/37" = 10

and if possible play at a distance x1 diagonal of the screen for right FOV
it's agressive but very realist (and unforgettable) experience. i played lot of hours without problem
need a good TV with few ghosting (for me plasma VT20 with contrast 30 and brightness 20 for hide ghosting)
this will be better if we would can OFF the HUD (there are little depth conflict with some element of the dashboard when convergence is 0.9) but it's impossible

Back