GT5 Latest News & Discussion

• Thread starter gamelle71
  • 76,879 comments
They need to record some real sounds of cars crashing...that one boink boink sample is lame...
NFS_5.png

erm I'm pretty sure that is a real nascar (judjing by the real people in the background)

erm....

Sarcasm was intended. Someone was saying that in game the bumper just melted instead of paint coming off. I know it is a real car.

@ phosphor112
I have played the demo at Best Buy. When I watched my replays of Toscana, I thought I could see larger particles (bigger, heavier rocks) as well as a longer rooster tail when I was WOT and a little off-course. Unfortunately there was no sound so I couldn't tell you for sure, or maybe that's why I noticed it. Either way just another little detail that adds up to a great game.

Nice reference. It's a really weird, (literally) sickening sound in person.

I've seen that before, but damn that ice is freaking ridiculous.

@ phosphor112
I have played the demo at Best Buy. When I watched my replays of Toscana, I thought I could see larger particles (bigger, heavier rocks) as well as a longer rooster tail when I was WOT and a little off-course. Unfortunately there was no sound so I couldn't tell you for sure, or maybe that's why I noticed it. Either way just another little detail that adds up to a great game.

Nice to know. Also, welcome to GTPlanet :)

Panic? He/she thinks that giving it gas will get her out of the situation she's in. Pretty common stuff.

It seems that the cars are on a hill. I'm sure all the drivers would gladly just stop, get out, and call it a day if they could. I think the suv is trying to use the gas to find a safe place to land. I can almost feel the panic. I used to live in flat, cold country. Now I live in a warmer, hilly locale and can't imagine cold and hilly would be much fun.

Edit: I type with two fingers. And thanks for the welcome.

Last edited:
32 Go karts on The Ring :drool:

[YOUTUBE Video]

While awesome in concept and something I'd be game for in GT5, having no suspension with your butt 2 inches from the ground on a track like that--in real life--makes my butt hurt just thinking about it.

:nervous:

Interesting....so the damage doesn't show up in the replays in this build. Very intrestesting indeed. that would mean that not only is the demo build early, but it would also suggest that the damage model might not be a finished model in the demo.

Interesting....so the damage doesn't show up in the replays in this build. Very intrestesting indeed. that would mean that not only is the demo build early, but it would also suggest that the damage model might not be a finished model in the demo.

I think I may know why it is not present in replays. Most racing games use a predetermined damage system. For example, level 2 damage for the front left portion of the car will always be the same. This damage system can then be easily fed into the replay data without being intensive on the hardware. However, PD is using a dynamic realtime damage system that is not predetermined. In order to replicate the damage in the replay, the damage physics system must be enabled during the replay. This would require additional processing power that will not be available until the game is fully optimized(that is if there is enough processing power left to show damage). Keep in mind that I could be far off, but this is my theory.

I think I may know why it is not present in replays. Most racing games use a predetermined damage system. For example, level 2 damage for the front left portion of the car will always be the same. This damage system can then be easily fed into the replay data without being intensive on the hardware. However, PD is using a dynamic realtime damage system that is not predetermined. In order to replicate the damage in the replay, the damage physics system must be enabled during the replay. This would require additional processing power that will not be available until the game is fully optimized(that is if there is enough processing power left to show damage). Keep in mind that I could be far off, but this is my theory.

I'm not completely sold that it is as random as people think it is. I mean it's not like forza where it looks the same, but it's also not different every time you have a crash. The 3 cars I rammed into the fence at 100-140mph all had the same looking damage to the front/ left bumper and fender.

I'm not completely sold that it is as random as people think it is. I mean it's not like forza where it looks the same, but it's also not different every time you have a crash. The 3 cars I rammed into the fence at 100-140mph all had the same looking damage to the front/ left bumper and fender.

I guess we'll get a definitive answer after some extensive testing and hands on time Nov 2nd:tup:. Same thing goes for standard cars.

Of course!
I'll try it out again tomorrow to see if I was right either way.

I look forward to your results. You should try crashing the right headlight at 50mph on one attempt and at around 130 on another, then compare the results. Then do the same for the middle of the front bumper.

I just spotted GT5 in a Time Warner Cable commercial. It didn't show anything new, but I found it odd that they showed GT5 in a commercial nearly 2 months before release. It's not on youtube yet, but once it is, I'll post it.

But still it should be on replays. After all replay are meant for viewing such things, like overtaking, crashes and so on. It should be more dramatic with different camera angles. But you are right. It is early build, PS beta event may be and not ready yet. The final version will be fine I think. Obviously it is impossible to make everyone happy and some people will always complain :ouch:

It's completely different every time. You can get similar results, but smashing into a wall 10 times at high enough speeds BECAUSE it will take the damage engine to it's limit. It's like punching a hole in a wall, if you punch enough holes... leading to no wall. So if you take another wall, and continue to punch it in different spots, eventually only to get the same result.. no wall. Does that make sense? Not a great example, but I hope it helps.

So if I max out every car in a certain spot it will all end up the same cause that's the limit of the damage, right? I agree, however my observation was based on the initial impact only. I understand with crumple zones and stuff like that cars should behave similarly, however those zones don;t come into play when only sheet metal is damaged.
Yeah, I get what you're trying to say, I think.

I just spotted GT5 in a Time Warner Cable commercial. It didn't show anything new, but I found it odd that they showed GT5 in a commercial nearly 2 months before release. It's not on youtube yet, but once it is, I'll post it.

Yeah,me too but I forgot why they put GT5 on their commercial in the first place.
EDIT:Just saw it again it was in between a movie preview on the OnDemand Channel. It was nothing more than a Ferrari California on Eiger Nordwand. It lasts for about 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Well on my way home from Baltimore today, I stopped by a confirmed Best Buy in Glen Burnie. I played it for about an hour since my local Best buy doesn't have it The controller was shot unfortunately, the right joystick was worn to where it was tilted down a tad bit. The right joystick is in the button configuration as Up = gas, down = brake. So, the car was constantly braking which forced me to use it for gassing and braking. You cannot change the buttons as the options menu is locked. I'm used to driving on a controller configuration similar to NFS: Pro Street, which I don't even use a controller. So my driving sucked. After a couple of races I became more interested the damage.

Physics

The Physics seemed solid on all the cars. It had a different feeling to it than Prologue. For example, the body roll felt much more realistic compared to Prologue where everything felt like flat-out understeer. It was also visible, the car would lean on either side due to the g-force. The grass didn't suck you in like in Prologue. It has a different feel to it, but it is still a slow ride out of the grass. Downshifting while turning is now detrimental, meaning the rear end breaks loose from the higher revs. Power cars with no traction control are prone to spin outs, even on R3s, could just be the suspension though. Having driven on a controller, I cannot give a true comparison to Prologue or the TT demo. All this was experienced under Professional. I tried one game in Beginners and it a huge improvement from Prologue. The car did not handle unrealistically well like in Prologue's standard physics. Instead it seemed to just handle better maintaining the characteristics of the car. Drafting takes effect at a longer distance, not to the extent of Prologue. Professional physics drafting seemed more realistic, about 2-3 car lengths on Indianapolis. In beginner it seemed to drag you in faster than in professional as well. For tires, the N tires seem to be much more improved. They aren't as bad as in Prologue. S tires are in between the feeling of N and R tires.

Damage

The damage was great. Almost accurate as far as speed and collision points. I say this because in the other demos at game shows, people were eating the wall at 100+ MPH and barely hurt the car. Not the case here. Damage appears on all 4 sides of the car. The Nascar is the only car that's hood pops open. It is also the only car to shatter the rear quarter plexi-glass. THE CARS WILL NOT FLIP OVER. I tried a hundred times and the cars will only go air borne. Damage does affect car performance, not sure if it is mechanically or aerodynamically.

Other Items

The AI drive a lot smarter, sometimes I felt they even hit me back after I hit them. They try to avoid collisions better than in Prologue. They themselves make contact with other cars and the wall sometimes. Cars will not do stand still burn outs, they do crazy awesome donuts though. The graphics looked a bit better than Prologue, but not by a long shot. You cannot destroy your headlights so you can't see in the dark either. Debris kicked off the ground: Grass, dry grass, gravel, dirt.

The overall review: I'm pretty happy with it, it will definitely be a better experience on the wheel. I think the physics and damage is only 75% of what will actually be in the final product.

I thank my wife who got bored recording me the whole time lol.

R8 @ Rome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRmKHvZGJoA
SLS @ Indy, Real time Damage clip in here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajtw356Ct3I
Many attempts to flip the Enzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ImRFhyekSw
Attempting to Flip the Lambo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5efj5MFENvY
Trying to destroy GT-R headlights on Toscana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oD6AyNb7o4
Nascar Damage, Found a glitchy car here too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm2gFLrMHyI
1 more Nascar Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17tehIM9_mo

i live over in towson and almost stopped by this best buy today.. i just hate the trash I encounter whenever Im in glen burnie

Back