GT5 looks better than GT6?

• Thread starter DioEmsti
  • 33 comments
Antarctica
Antarctica
I got both games recently, just finished installing 5 and did a little test. Picked the Ferrari F40 and that long city stretch with the fireworks. GT5 has noticeable better reflections and shadows, very obvious in cockpit view, the car in 5 casts shadows on itself outside and inside, while in GT6 it casts shadows on the road only and the shadows you see in the cockpit seem to come from the environment only not the car itself like in 5.

Not saying the game looks better everywhere but there are some very obvious downgrades in favor of the day/night cycles among other things like the new handling I assume.The overall picture also looks sharper in 5 to me, including the car model, really nice and shiny.

BTW where do I turn the damage on in 6? I looked and couldn't find the option while in 5 it's right there in the driving options, I chose heavy damage and was pleasantly surprised to see some visible damage after crashing into a wall, warped spoiler and back bumper sorta falling off, it's quite sensitive too and after that I couldn't even keep the car straight due to the damage.
As for the handling I'm not a pilot nor do I own a car capable of more than 160km/h lol so I'm not sure about that, but the F40 felt better to me in 5, even though the suspension seems to look more realistic in 6.

I just started to play GT6 too, stuck at the Super Licence...

It seems there is no place to turn on the damage as far as I know.

You sure you don't have a car capable of 160 km/h? That's around 100 mph, I am sure even Nissan Versa can easily do it.

Gt5 runs smoother and if I'm not mistaken, guys who tested a lot of cars in both games concluded that times in Gt5 are more realistic (for example on same tires and same car you can to few seconds faster time on Nurburgring in gt6). Physics are simpler on gt5, gt6 are more proficient and they managed to get really good force feedback on the wheel. Also, there's not much to do in gt6.. I finished it to 100% in few months (here's topic your gt6 stats or something like that and there are pics) try do that in 5.. However there's challenge hub here on gt6 so if you want race someone who still play this game, join..

Edit: There's no way to turn damage and fuel consumption in gt6, arcade mode is also much betrer in 5..

Even the menu interface in GT5 is much better than its own successor. On a note though, slower loading times are much more prominent and then there's some noticeable drop in FPS while there's rain during the race, not to mention racing in dirt/snow as well when a lot of smoke fills the screen.

I just started to play GT6 too, stuck at the Super Licence...

It seems there is no place to turn on the damage as far as I know.

You sure you don't have a car capable of 160 km/h? That's around 100 mph, I am sure even Nissan Versa can easily do it.
Yea it won't go much over that, It's a Peugeot 307 from 2003 and the lowest horse power version.

Reason: GT5 runs at 720P without any of HDR post processing. GT6 runs at 1080P with HDR post processing and new lighting on top of it.

PS3 couldnt handle it well and the framerate suffers the worst. The rest is history. GT5 Prologue is still better looking of all PS3 titles.

They set expectations so high with gt5prologue that gt5 seem like a fail even though is probably best gt of them all

I am not a pro player and is still struggling on the S license on GT6; now everybody is saying GT5 is a great game, do you think I am able to enjoy GT5 without much frustration? You see, GT6 is already giving me a headache, albeit it is the easiest one in GT series...

I am not a pro player and is still struggling on the S license on GT6; now everybody is saying GT5 is a great game, do you think I am able to enjoy GT5 without much frustration? You see, GT6 is already giving me a headache, albeit it is the easiest one in GT series...

Gt5 is much more complex and has more difficult events than gt6.. I don't exactly remember S license tests but you’ll get better with practice. Have fun. In gt5 for example you don't need to pass license tests to get all up in career mode for some reason but there is much much more things to do. If you don't already try do drive without driving aids.. You’ll be slower at the beginning but you will learn how to be faster soon.

Gt5 is much more complex and has more difficult events than gt6.. I don't exactly remember S license tests but you’ll get better with practice. Have fun. In gt5 for example you don't need to pass license tests to get all up in career mode for some reason but there is much much more things to do. If you don't already try do drive without driving aids.. You’ll be slower at the beginning but you will learn how to be faster soon.

Thanks! That sounds fun!
I will definitely try GT5, the disc is on the way:gtpflag:.

You mean the update?

I purchased the XL version; I assume it contains the latest updates so far.

You'll love it or hate it.. It takes at least 10 times more to complete it than gt6.. I started all over again both games so if you'll need some advice in walk through let me know since Im playing it both still..

You'll love it or hate it.. It takes at least 10 times more to complete it than gt6.. I started all over again both games so if you'll need some advice in walk through let me know since Im playing it both still..

Wow, that's great!

I just got the S license yesterday on GT6, and am enjoying the endurance race now. Will start to play GT5 soon.

Reason: GT5 runs at 720P without any of HDR post processing. GT6 runs at 1080P with HDR post processing and new lighting on top of it.

PS3 couldnt handle it well and the framerate suffers the worst. The rest is history. GT5 Prologue is still better looking of all PS3 titles.

I think they eventually updated it? at least it says 1080p on the options and my TV too. I realize now that the shadows inside the cockpit in GT6 aren't entirely gone, they tried to make the shadows inside and outside the car fade relative to the sun but I don't think it worked very well at all cause they go from a complete blur to almost gone entirely, they should've left it as it is in GT5.

You mean the update?

I purchased the XL version; I assume it contains the latest updates so far.
Slr lol.

If you have the 2013 Edition of the game, it already comes standard with Spec 2.0, which means the update starts at Update 2.00 and it will already contain some of the DLCs of the game that became available for it.

I started with the GT5 yesterday.

Took a whole hour to download the update and another 30 min for HDD installation...

Maybe because GT6 being the first GT game that I played, the GT5 early event is not that "new-player friendly".

I had to take notes of the eligible cars that can be used in the early events and went back to dealers for the purchase (and most of them were not even there), whereas the "recommended car" section in GT6 seems much more intuitive.

Race was fun though, I am still early but I can see I will spend many hours in this game:cheers:

I started with the GT5 yesterday.

Took a whole hour to download the update and another 30 min for HDD installation...

Maybe because GT6 being the first GT game that I played, the GT5 early event is not that "new-player friendly".

I had to take notes of the eligible cars that can be used in the early events and went back to dealers for the purchase (and most of them were not even there), whereas the "recommended car" section in GT6 seems much more intuitive.

Race was fun though, I am still early but I can see I will spend many hours in this game:cheers:

It's a long game.. Many events open when you reach levels 25 and 30 also.. There's thread in GT5 section with excel document about how to find cars in Used car dealership and you will probably need to use it because its the only place where you can find Formula GT which you need for specific event.. Have fun

I also have both GT5 and GT6 and I bounce back and forth a lot between the two, (along with occasional GT3 and GT4). What I've noticed in the display is that with GT5 and GT6 it pretty much depends on the car and/or circuit used, although GT5 with the inside interior view has a noticeable better lighting and shadowing "directly inside" the car that occurs. I noticed this when driving my favorite GT-R at the Nür in this GT5 video replay I did... When I do the same run with GT6 using the same time, weather, etc I don't get even close this interior sun shadowing effect...

Here's my main reasons for using one over the other and going back and forth between these two great retros...

GT5 has ability to use the Garage Editor.
GT5 has way more area options to take travel photos.
GT5 exceeds GT4 with graphics and with premiums available.

GT6 has more cars and with older GT5 ones converted to premiums as well.
GT6 has brand new circuits that are not in GT5 or GT4.

With that said...
GT5 also has several circuits not in GT6-Such as Top Gear.
GT5 also has several cars that were dropped in GT6.
GT6 overall racing and replays generally seems to be clearer/cleaner in GT6, at least to me imho.
GT6 all cars are available in the dealership negating any need to get cars with a editor with the exception being the anniversary cars.

It's a hard call of one over the other that's for sure. So, play 'em both problem solved... :cheers:

Last edited:
GT5 is best GT in series tbf.. It's just hard to do 100% so people are saying some stuff that are actually pros like cons.. For example IMO it's cooler to have UCD than all cars available, it actually makes you happy when you find some cool car. GT6 is just very cool game with some nice events (speed festival, senna, sierra) but you can get 100% in 1 month, its not proper GT game (seems like big update for 5).. Gt5 takes like 1-2 years.. Arcade mode is better, there are actual Enduro races, Special events that are very multiclass (Amg academy actuality learns you everything about Nurburgring if you take it as supposed to.. Nascar, Full rally, Karts (ok karts are better in6), cool story with Gran Tour events.. Bspec looks like a horrible idea at the beginning but if you compare it, at the end of the day it's better solution than in 6..If you don't take it with overpowered cars it can sometimes be fun even tho most of the time is frustrating and too long.. 6 is prettier game to look at but than when you are actually racing you can see frame rate drops etc
Also online was better in 5.

GT5 is best GT in series tbf.. It's just hard to do 100% so people are saying some stuff that are actually pros like cons.. For example IMO it's cooler to have UCD than all cars available, it actually makes you happy when you find some cool car. GT6 is just very cool game with some nice events (speed festival, senna, sierra) but you can get 100% in 1 month, its not proper GT game (seems like big update for 5).. Gt5 takes like 1-2 years.. Arcade mode is better, there are actual Enduro races, Special events that are very multiclass (Amg academy actuality learns you everything about Nurburgring if you take it as supposed to.. Nascar, Full rally, Karts (ok karts are better in6), cool story with Gran Tour events.. Bspec looks like a horrible idea at the beginning but if you compare it, at the end of the day it's better solution than in 6..If you don't take it with overpowered cars it can sometimes be fun even tho most of the time is frustrating and too long.. 6 is prettier game to look at but than when you are actually racing you can see frame rate drops etc
Also online was better in 5.

I just had an enjoyable weekend with GT5.

I especially like the gift car system for each time when you gold an event and a surprise car ticket if you gold a level section.

It makes you feel like playing an RPG.

Was a little unlucky yesterday when I got the TANK Car through a level 15 ticket, I was expecting a much better car.

I just had an enjoyable weekend with GT5.

I especially like the gift car system for each time when you gold an event and a surprise car ticket if you gold a level section.

It makes you feel like playing an RPG.

Was a little unlucky yesterday when I got the TANK Car through a level 15 ticket, I was expecting a much better car.

Yes.. It's better feeling for me too.. You can cheat somehow with this tickets but don't do it.. If you cheat it'll ruin the game for you.. I started this save January 10th 2019 and here's my progress..
DSC_0789~2.JPG

So you need to be little bit crazy to finish it, but I'm glad you like it. People don't even try and give up than use cheats (like garage editor) and of course it's not fun. At the end it's gran turismo, it is supposed to be long. I'm testing cars to do 24 hrs Le Mans atm lol

I should mention in somewhat of a defense of the Garage Editor... Many of us members have completed (or gone as far as possible) GT5 the proper old fashion way back when, but now elect GE to use for various other fun reasons such as hybrid cars and even possibly using it for those that had purchased certain DLC content, but as time went on lost their GT5 game save or was lost through various other circumstances such as equipment failure, crashes, and the like. Those taking up the game now for the first time, (and yes there are new retro gamers), through no fault of their own will never be able to own some of the brilliant DLC cars and tracks with the game being completely removed now from the internet for any type of use including any DLC replacement or even new purchases, unless however they elect to use all the internet info available in conjunction with GE. I do however think the original complaints were valid when the game was still being played online. The nice thing about GT6 unlike GT5 is that although it was also taken offline all the cars and circuits are available to still get with game credits without being online.

Back