GT5 Pit stops & penalties!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marooned
  • 58 comments
  • 15,027 views
Yeah the black and white flag is unsportsmanlike behaviour, black flag is for penalties or disqualification if i remember right.

As long as there is a good penalty system in GT5 that works realistically unlike GT4 or GT5P. I never liked the whole cut engine power for 5 seconds if you just brush a wall, adding a few seconds to a final lap time would be more realistic or even in extreme cases a forced pit stop

Yea. Adding a few seconds to your lap time you might be able to make up for, possibly should you penalty be due to an accident. I'd save the penalty box or drive throughs for either severe cases or repeated offenses.
 
Yea. Adding a few seconds to your lap time you might be able to make up for, possibly should you penalty be due to an accident. I'd save the penalty box or drive throughs for either severe cases or repeated offenses.

That would be interesting, but first we have to know how much the AI has improved. A penalty system based on GT4's AI would result in plain controller rage.
 
we deffinitly need a proper set of flags in gt5. In f1:ce there were at least some flags.
 
I want to see other pitted cars while I'm in and maybe have to train your pit crew*, change pit crews attire and have to buy all equipment before your longer races.* Meaning if your headed to an endurance you better stock your tires, gas, extra body panels before you get there.*

* = Any statement followed by this are just fantasy. Not I think it should be in GT5.
 
Agreed. For GT5P I have the analog sticks for driving and directional button for aids. A quick interactive menu using the aids buttons works well for my kind of setup. Also it'd be nice to have the option to separate controls. Example, the right analog stick is accelerate and brake. X and square are also accelerate and brake. I'm not saying permanent separation, just the option to leave both connected to the same function or separate their mappings to give them use for other functions.

You can already do it with some of the racing wheels. Even in prologue I can edit the brake bias and TC with my wheel. It will come in handy when you have to deal with changing conditions and tyre wear but in prologue it's really pointless because the tires don't go off on you no matter how many laps you do and track conditions never change so unless you knackered up your setup to begin with it should remain spot on all race.
 
Yea. Adding a few seconds to your lap time you might be able to make up for, possibly should you penalty be due to an accident. I'd save the penalty box or drive throughs for either severe cases or repeated offenses.

Noooooo... The penalty system is almost impossible to get right in a video game to the point that I always take it off.(don't get me wrong, I agree with you that any serious form of action should take a severe incident).

In F1 2010 the system is rubbish. Someone tries to sneak a nose in and pass you in situations you should NEVER attempt a pass and you cut them off, bam, drive through. Someone has an off in front of you and slides back onto the track and collects you, not only did they just cause you a shunt, losing time, possible damage requiring you to box, but now you also get a drive through penalty because you got collected in an accident you had nothing to do with.

Cutting corners? With the new physics, cutting most corners will be extremely difficult on professional mode anyways and if you're gonna cheat, you're gonna cheat anyways. Now what happens when someone spins round in front of you and you have to avoid it by going into the grass? Penalty...

Maybe a very, very limited penalty system should be added but for me the lack of realism was always much more frustrating and blatant than any realism it adds to the game and unless you drive like a 🤬 you shouldn't have to worry about doing anything penalty worthy to begin with. And if you want to cut corners and cheat you obviously aren't all that concerned with realism to begin with so...

The only time I agree that corner cutting should be penalized is qualifying or time trials. During a race? Thanks but no thanks, I'd rather not lose a race because I had to avoid someone going off and sliding back into the driving line in front of me.
 
So far up to this point weave seen very empty pit areas & on some tracks such as Tokyo R246, not even spectators. With the exception of the CG animations of masses of pit crews in the trailers, I expect we will still see only our own own pit crews in motion, but not others. With all the dynamic weather/time transition taxing the PS3, I think it will be limited. The penalty system was one aspect of the game I was curious about, will be carried over from prologue or a new flag system. :)

Pit crew was shown in last year's TGS demo, your car started from the pits. And there is a flag system, we've seen glimpses of it, just no offcial info.
[YOUTUBEHD]dd_cQf-XukA[/YOUTUBEHD]

And at the Le Mans demo in the menus
[YOUTUBEHD]7_Rz0NLS_-Q[/YOUTUBEHD]
 
Last edited:
Pit crew was shown in last year's TGS demo, your car started from the pits. And there is a flag system, we've seen glimpses of it, just no offcial info.

I removed the videos to reduce clutter.

Those videos are absolutely stunning. The mannerisms and actions of the pit crew are so well done and realistic it looks like you're sitting in an actual pit lane at a real track.
 
I thought the pitstops in F1:CE were a good idea. Remember? You had to press each button as it came up as quickly as possible. The faster you did it, the faster your pitstop.
Simple, but effective.

As for penalties, well I'm all for it. Anything to try an encourage people to drive with a little more care and concentration. I am proud to admit that with each GT game I have never used the 'barrier bump' or 'car bump' to slow down and get round corners quickly, and I have treated the AI drivers as if I were playing real people. I think it's more rewarding that way.
 
I would like to see same rules as in F1 and other FIA championships... :)
 
i just hope that nascar pits crew gotta be at the same speed or faster changing the wheels and the gas
 
Look at 1:57 and you see, that the pit stop crew is very fast.

 
Yeah they do look very fast,thanks for the upload.👍
 
Noooooo... The penalty system is almost impossible to get right in a video game to the point that I always take it off.(don't get me wrong, I agree with you that any serious form of action should take a severe incident).

In F1 2010 the system is rubbish. Someone tries to sneak a nose in and pass you in situations you should NEVER attempt a pass and you cut them off, bam, drive through. Someone has an off in front of you and slides back onto the track and collects you, not only did they just cause you a shunt, losing time, possible damage requiring you to box, but now you also get a drive through penalty because you got collected in an accident you had nothing to do with.

Cutting corners? With the new physics, cutting most corners will be extremely difficult on professional mode anyways and if you're gonna cheat, you're gonna cheat anyways. Now what happens when someone spins round in front of you and you have to avoid it by going into the grass? Penalty...

Maybe a very, very limited penalty system should be added but for me the lack of realism was always much more frustrating and blatant than any realism it adds to the game and unless you drive like a 🤬 you shouldn't have to worry about doing anything penalty worthy to begin with. And if you want to cut corners and cheat you obviously aren't all that concerned with realism to begin with so...

The only time I agree that corner cutting should be penalized is qualifying or time trials. During a race? Thanks but no thanks, I'd rather not lose a race because I had to avoid someone going off and sliding back into the driving line in front of me.

I can thoroughly understand that. I'm betting that the tech is there to program a proper rules system, but it would take up so much space that its basically not worth it.

As for cutting corners. I don't cut corners though I do have the misfortune of miscalculating and dropping a tier or two off the track. But with the dirty tires feature that should prove interesting. I'll bet its enough to keep people from chating successfully (on some tracks) but it wont remov cheaters entirely.

BUt I can understand where the rules system in most racing games will make you go bats**t.
 
Hello everyone and PD

Was talking with some friends regarding what we'd love to have in GT5 to increase the racing action and make it be more realistic and I suggested a "Pit crew mistakes", a Friend suggested it might be like medium speed with mistakes or slow speed with no mistakes, a lollipop man mistakes would be nice too, and crossing the white line at pit exit. Penalties during races to be served as drive through penalty.

I absolutely agree with you. I'm not a "3 / 4 sec. arcade black flag" fan. Drive through penalties will be great, but they need to work on the logic of HOW the game decide penalties, in gt5p there are some quite random decisions.
 
I think that pit crew is CGI it looks to fluid to be in game what do you guys think? Beautiful nonetheless.
 
The Pit Stop animation is going to be amazing . cant wait November 4th
 
So do you think we will see safety cars after a big crash in gt5 ?
 
So do you think we will see safety cars after a big crash in gt5 ?

Really doubt it. If it's in, they'd show it by now.
It's a feature for the perfectionists, it'd be really nice to have them but most casual gamer thinks safety cars won't contribute to enhance any racing experience ;therefore a waste of time.
F1 2010 eliminated safety cars for the same reason.
 
It's not the same, that video doesn't show people cross the path of the car, thats why I think it is a cut scene. But that is just as fluid. What I'm saying is I doubt we will see a scene like the one I'm talking about when we are leaving the pits we will probably see one like you posted. In the cockpit.
When you are leaving sure... when you are entering you'll see what's in the trailer.

Same models, animations just as smooth. I don't see why you need to doubt it.
 
When you are leaving sure... when you are entering you'll see what's in the trailer.

Same models, animations just as smooth. I don't see why you need to doubt it.

I'm talking about the views. The main video I was quoting was the pit crew hopping over the wall. I think that you will only be able to view the pit while you are in a racing view bumper, cockpit, chase or hood/roof. Having a close up of the tire man coming at the camera will probably not be in. It is a movie editing technique pd is using to showcase the pit crews that is all.
 
I'm talking about the views. The main video I was quoting was the pit crew hopping over the wall. I think that you will only be able to view the pit while you are in a racing view bumper, cockpit, chase or hood/roof. Having a close up of the tire man coming at the camera will probably not be in. It is a movie editing technique pd is using to showcase the pit crews that is all.
Well... I was responding to the fact that you thought it was CGI :p It obviously wasn't.

Tbh I don't believe your gonna get a camera switch when you go into the pits either. Maybe you'll get that camera angles during replays, but not during gameplay.
 
Well... I was responding to the fact that you thought it was CGI :p It obviously wasn't.

Tbh I don't believe your gonna get a camera switch when you go into the pits either. Maybe you'll get that camera angles during replays, but not during gameplay.

Maybe I shouldn't have said CGI wrong choice of words.
 
Maybe I shouldn't have said CGI wrong choice of words.

Idk, the movement might be the wya you expect. What you're talking about sounds like what NASCAR would do. It may very well be in the game and just not have gotten much attention yet. Some of the other series setup like DTM or F1 so by the time you get to your pitbox, everyone is where the are supposed to be. Idk how it will be with the stock machines, who knows. Less than a month to find out. I suppose, be patient?
 
would be fun if you can join races with two members per car
one drives the car
one steers the pit crew
but that is maybe too much demanded....

I only insist on pit chicks!!!
 
It's not the same, that video doesn't show people cross the path of the car, thats why I think it is a cut scene. But that is just as fluid. What I'm saying is I doubt we will see a scene like the one I'm talking about when we are leaving the pits we will probably see one like you posted. In the cockpit.

If I have my view set as in car I hope they don't pop me out so I get an action shot of the pit stop. Not to sound like an uber-nerd but if I'm using the in-car view I don't want the realism to be ruined by some flyby shot of me getting new tyres.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get that action view for the pit stops in replays though.
 
Penalties, sure. Crossing the white line and speeding in the pit lane. Probably just that. Other things would be hard to implement.

Pit lane mistakes? No. Just leave it like GT4. Make a small difference in time (2-3 seconds) between tire change pit stops, randomly from time to time. In close races it could be the difference, but its minor so you can't blame it.
 
Back