GT5 Review scores (Update :Average metacritic score)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,417 comments
We will see what ISR put up eh. They review sims properly with a wheel.
And what's with the Forza hatred all the time?

To me Forza 3 is great, but GT5 excels great, physics wise, and that is in my book the most important thing

Game is averaging 8.6 and several perfect scores, here is your crow the people who said, (Won't get any higher then 7). Considering the people knocking points off are mainly because it is a sim, and not arcade like forza.

I believe it's completely fair to knock points off. IGN state that GT5 is a 10/10 simulator wrapped in a 5/10 game. They're under no delusions about where it's strong. But the game is flawed and riddled with limitations, so it would be wrong to give it an overall very high score. Luckily, most of us will take the physics and enjoy the good parts of it, setting up our own games online for years to come.

I think that guy's review is harsh, but he does have some valid points. After playing GT1-4 I think he's sitting in the best seat in the house to judge the game. As games progress you expect them to get much better, and that's what's going to hurt GT5's review score the most: expectations.

He's completely right in saying what the hell have they been doing for 5 years. For a game to be made over such a long time and after having such a big budget but producing 800 standard cars is deplorable. 8/10 cars are standard - disgraceful.

How can you keep renewing the genre you ask?
-Add a decent damage model...to ALL cars. Even gta has better damage
-Add weather effects to ALL tracks
-The ability to change wheels and paint ALL cars
-Have a car list people want and not have 40 skylines and 100 mazdas
-Go Karts? Surely they could use their time better than including go karts.
-Cockpit view for all cars, who cares if the exterior doesn't look as good as premium cars, surely you could model the interior to at least provide this view for all cars.

This whole standard/premium thing is a joke. We're in 2010, ps3 has been out for ages, yet PD can't allow you to paint your standard car a different colour or change its wheels - pathetic!
Adding weather effects to only some tracks? Surely it'd come down to how weather effects were coded? You'd think that once you made the weather effect you could 'apply to all' sort of thing? Maybe that comes down to minor details the game has such as puddles in specific places on race tracks, i'm not sure.

I played GT 1-4 and I am very happy with the game? Am i not an equally good judge?

When you want new stuff, and a lot of pretty stuff, you need to take into cosideration that our tech has limitations. Have the cars on the street evolved insanely every 5 years? The PS3 has limitations, and you need to remember that. You cant have it all, if you could, im quite sure someone had given it to you allready...

Simply brilliant...sorry to say but GT5 craps all over it's console rival. Sure there are some slight niggles with frame rate ( I only ever see this when in cockpit view ) but for pure driving experience the feel of the different cars 10/10.

Jumping into the kart racing is just a fantastic experience, I can't stop smilling everytime I think about the first time I sat in my kart on track great stuff :)

What GT5 does it does so much better than it's rival, it just feels much more polished...tiny details like the exhuast smoke from the karts...working wipers...horns....flashing high/low beam headlights....weather....night/day transitions.

I've played all the GT series and as the build up to GT5 drew nearer I got more and more nervous...but now I have it in my hands and had 5-6 hours driving under my belt....My nervousness has been replaced with sheer GT5 driving bliss.

Thankyou Kaz/PD and long may the GT franchise continue 👍:cheers:

IGN review is pretty harsh i feel! 8.5?! Can't imagine what they were expecting to be honest, but for me (what i've played of) GT5 is everything i'd hoped. Brilliant too look at, better to drive and there is enough on there to easily keep you entertained!

No point comparing it to something like forza, to me they are totally different. Forza will never be as in depth as GT, or drive as well. It is aimed at an all round more casual market, with all of the silly decals and horrible bodykits. Forza 1 and 2 were decent games, 3 was awful for me. Confirmed that I was right to abandon the format and play PS3 solely!

In conclusion; GT5 is good. Don't get hung up on reviews, just make sure you buy it!

The main problem IGN tried to point out, I think, is the double standard in GT5. Great attention to detail would go to a particular area, while other areas doesn't seem so. The standard/premium thing seemed to be a big deal for them. Also, the fact that there is a lot of content in the game, but they're also very limited. For example, weather, day/night being only in select few tracks, and visual customizations to only a select of few cars. It's like of a combination of greatness, and mediocrity. To be great, you have to have just greatness, with few flaws.

As much as I love GT5, I think it was fair. They did mention that the physics was great. For a game to be really great, it would have to be consistent, and GT5 just doesn't seem consistent enough for them I guess. Also, they gave it Editor's choice if that matters.

One thing I noticed about their review is they don't seem to have unlocked the full potential of damage in the game. I didn't see any in-depth stuff talking about mechanical damage, dislocation of body parts, and even rollover. I may be wrong cause I read it through pretty quick.

Totally agree.

The big irony here is that some of the people calling BS on the reviews were also the ones who voiced nagging doubts about the game during the leak videos/images period. It's alright for them to say "look at those jaggies!", but if IGN mention it they're immediately discredited. The harsh facts are that a lot of the issues users pointed out are also being pointed out by reviewers, which goes to show that they are in fact, considered issues by many people whether the hardcore fans like it or not.

But look on the bright side, the game isn't scoring any worse than the previous games in the series, and if you love those you'll love this. That's what really matters.

imo many reviewers make a mistake when reviewing GT5..

they compare it to forza. sure. but its not competing with forza
its competing with GT4 / GTpsp and ... the real world (right?)

however, at the end of the day, i have already bought the game, and i like the game alot.

sure, it does have graphical glitches, the standard models are horrible (some are nice though) and i dont understand much of these settings in regards to tracktion control ect. but i still enjoy myself while playing and thats what counts, right?

i dont care what others think..

many people love playing... starcraft 2 against other people, i dont. doesnt mean i would review the game badly coz a part of it sucks (for me :P)

I don't have a problem with IGN's GT5 score being so low, it's the Forza 3 score being so high in comparison - it's nuts!

I guess different reviewers eh?

I would say 8/10 is about right. To be honest its more of a letdown than anything else, I was expecting more. With all the hype and delays(you can now understand why) it's bit of a ...

I personally think, from playing the game and then seeing the reviews that Polyphony have pretty much ballsed this one up, yes the driving physics are absolutely amazing, but theres no THRILL in the overall game, its bland, boring and stiff, I can't find any excitement in this game anymore which is just simply heartbreaking. Having said that, the reviews are plainly biased and unfair, its quite clear that a certain american rival has paid off the journos and the journos at the same time have been readily taking aim to shoot down Sony's big game.

I say the low reviews GT5 has gotten so far is because the reviewers hyped themselves up too much. Reviews should take aside all hype, rumors, comparisons, etc and start from scratch. Ultimately, the only review/opinion that matters is your own.

they compare it to forza. sure. but its not competing with forza
its competing with GT4 / GTpsp and ... the real world (right?)
No, it's competing with Forza. Forza was made to be Microsoft's answer to Gran Turismo.

I personally think, from playing the game and then seeing the reviews that Polyphony have pretty much ballsed this one up, yes the driving physics are absolutely amazing, but theres no THRILL in the overall game, its bland, boring and stiff, I can't find any excitement in this game anymore which is just simply heartbreaking. Having said that, the reviews are plainly biased and unfair, its quite clear that a certain american rival has paid off the journos and the journos at the same time have been readily taking aim to shoot down Sony's big game.

No matter how biased the reviews may have been, a lot of things mentioned are more than true.

Standard cars look crap compared to the premium ones.

6 years in development, and this is the end result, ump...

Uh, you say you find the game bland, boring and stiff. Also you feel the PD have ballsed it up and You say you can't find any thrill or excitement.

You go on to claim that a rival has paid off journalist's to shoot down the game:ill:

Remember that review can be different due to the actual reviewers themselves.
The GT5 IGN review was not done by a certain Chris Roper, fan of the series, and former member of IGN. Chris reviewed GT4 and gave it a very high score - 9.5. In the GT4 review, he states that "There is the nagging feeling that developer Polyphony Digital is refusing to expand its own world..". This "problem" has been echoed by reviewers of GT5, and unlike other reviewers, Chris, as a fan of the series, has the ability to fully comprehend Polyphony Digital's "different" ways of making video games, and not let this alter his review of the game. Other reviewers may not understand the "different" way that PD works, and mark the game worse as a result.

Personally, I believe that although many points raised in the various reviews are true, a fan that understands the magical world of Gran Turismo; and is able to overlook the minor flaws, and that it isn't "Need for Speed" and that cars don't explode into a million pieces upon impact, that they will have lots and lots of fun with the game for years to come.

[joke] BTW, when is the Gran Turismo 6 release date again? I hope we see a trailer at E3 next year! [/joke]

To me the physics is the thrill! Making one have to be technically good to be a badass at the game, then taking that online to compete against others, then to do it in varying cars, that have been specifically and personally tuned by u for specific tracks, that is the thrill and what racing is and all it needs to be, nothing more.

To me the physics is the thrill! Making one have to be technically good to be a badass at the game, then taking that online to compete against others, then to do it in varying cars, that have been specifically and personally tuned by u for specific tracks, that is the thrill and what racing is and all it needs to be, nothing more.

Are you not bothered about leaderboards? I am.

Woah. I saw IGN's "Final impressions" video of GT5. There was a part where he complained about the AI always braking in front of you, and then they showed a clip where he smashed into an AI opponent braking into a corner, shoving them both into the wall. It seems like most "bad points" about the AI are caused by the reviewers themselves...

You emo's need to look at the text of the IGN review, not just the score, he SPECIFICALLY states it IS the best DRIVING game out there, the knocks are its lack of presentation, and that its too much sim, and not for everyone, and inconsistencies in graphics, standard/premium. Basically its GT, the best driving game, not arcade fluff. he says 10/10 as a sim, sorry, thats all I need, it is a sim.

We will see what ISR put up eh. They review sims properly with a wheel.
And what's with the Forza hatred all the time?

Saying something is arcade is hating? sensitive much?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm disappointed by the first reviews, but I do not feel too affected by them. Actually I'm not a PS3 owner yet, so I believe I can judge it objectively. I was playing Forza 3 for hours and although I loved the sounds and liked the physics, I couldn't stand it's "plastic" graphics, useless cockpits (how reviewers could oversee those bold hands, poor animation and absent progressive shadows, my God?!) and soulless presentation in overall (lacking car details, unrealistic track look and "toy-like" on-car reflections, ugly HUD and Spartan menu graphics design). GT5 surpass it's competitors by miles in these angles of view. Graphics looks photorealistic in PD's recent game, HUD and menu is incredibly polished thanks to long evolution of GT and menu design feels nice and stylish. From what I've seen so far, I would rate Forza 3 with 85 percent and GT5 with 90 percent (If you need to hear some numbers from me - of course a two cypher number cannot do justice to all the elements of the game). And while I'm not a console owner yet, I'm buying PS3 no matter what reviewers say, cause I'm not blind. And I believe that this is simply the best praise GT5 can get.

...bold hands, poor animation and absent progressive shadows...

There is no doubt GT5 will suffer from inconsistency critics and graphic glitches objections but when it comes to driving experience in the best combination of car/track/condition/settings/controller, no current game on any platform can beat it (even under the same conditions in the borders of the competing game). The difference is like a day and night.

...progressive shadowing, great animations - simply best cockpits we've ever seen...

Nice article "Gran Turismo 5 Reviews: Can They Be Trusted?" which is according to my impressions can be found here. Although I feel GameSpot overrated Forza 3 with it's 9.5 pretty much, I'm glad at least they are wise and will not publish their GT5 review until they explore all the game's features to detail unlike other gaming sites, which IMO rushed their articles just to be among the first reviewers no matter if they finish the game and do a justice to it.

Last edited:
No not at all, thought you were that's all.

As for leader-boards there doesnt seem to be any according to people who have the game.

Back