GT5 Review scores (Update :Average metacritic score)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,417 comments
LOL @ pathetic 360 trolls giving it a zero for user review to drop the score, how sad is that? Pathetic humans.

And PS3 trolls wouldn't do the same to a 360 exclusive? No need to stick the 360 bit in. Trolls are trolls no matter which console of choice they troll. Like I've said elsewhere the only opinion that matters is your own ;)

Whats your point, if it gives it a high score it doesnt count, low then the review is correct? Edge who is usually very tough gave it a 9/10, as did gamepro. reviews are very good overall.

That's not at all what he said. He said the site has a questionable track record for handing out high scores without reason.

If you read their review, it doesn't sound like they really dug into the game much but rather went down the list of bullet points and expounded on them.

Not everyone is going to be horribly unhappy with the negatives in GT5 but the destrcutoid review was pretty much bare of negative or controversial stuff... doesn't sound like a very balanced or deep review to me.

As for the whole "if it's high it's bad thing" I think that's just silly and we have seen far more of the other side where pre emptive attacks on low scores were thrown out as is seen here:

low scores only indicate that the reviewer is either spoiled or doesn't have GT-blood ...

(I did all GT versions and believe me its way better then ever before ... it's such a complete game !!!)

I think its just an example that PD was probably complacent in their own success, maybe even arrogant in thinking they couldnt be topped, and spread themselves too thin in too many areas. They were distracted by GTHD, Prologue and the PSP game, and on top of all that, tried to do too much with this game.

Turn 10 is talented and hungry, they create a realistic goal, keep it focused and tight, and execute it well in a reasonable amount of time. It's the example of how to make a game the right way. GT5 is a scatter brained project with inconsistent results.

I think GT6 will be much better, but I hope that Kaz swallows his pride, recognizes that he is now playing catch up, and I hope that lights a fire under his ass, gets him to set smaller, focused goals, and do them better than anyone ever has. He can do that, but he needs to change his approach I think.

Best post I've seen on here since I joined.

The lower scores don't surprise me, as quite a few places didn't go mad for GT4, either.

People might see Forza's customisation and auctioneer/seller aspect as fluff, but to a lot of people, it seems like its what makes the game appear more interesting to more people these days. For PD to ignore it might have been their downfall critically.

Why are both of the 10/10 reviews bolded and expanded on more than the more believable, lower scores?

GameSpot surprisingly released a statement last night that said that they wouldn't be releasing their review for a while as they want to do a "thorough" play through that incorporates online play.

However, it did post it's average critic and gamer review scores:

Critic Score: 8.8 after 6 Reviews.
User Score: 9.1 after 209 reviews.

That User Score is the one that matters.

User reviews usually lead critic reviews especially for bigger games in no small part due to fans of the game showing up just to give it perfect scores.

This soon after release I find it hard to believe that many people really gave the game much go before handing out high scores. It's like amazon where you can see games that are still pre order only and weeks out getting hundreds of 5 star ratints becuase "this game is gonna be awesome!"

Without an actual editorial review so I can see what they are thinking and how they came up with the score, user reviews (especially from a series with an established user base) mean very little to me.

I bet Madden could release a total bomb of a game, 2 weeks before user reviews would be all over the place and even after release you would still see fans of the series defending it every which way...

Not saying that's what always happens, but that's why user reviews (especially so soon after launch - even with a game that got some pre launch sales) mean little to me.

Couldnt agree with you more Devedander.-----^

Theres nothing wrong with being critical of PD/GT. Some people get so upset when something negative is said about their baby. As long as you support your assessment with detailed reason, then, I have no problem with it.
Some people might weigh a particular Pro or Con differently than myself, which is fine. Just give me what you like and dislike, along with your reasons why, then you can make the decision as to whether their review is applicable to my own taste.

Ill pickup my copy after work today. My main gripe with GT5 is the limited track list, and omission of what I would consider to be Must Haves. That was my main problem with Forza 2. I would much rather PD had cut the car list down, and focused on tracks, but, again, thats just my personal taste.
Any other opinion on GT5, Ill find out shortly for myself.

Yes some profit will be good, but Sony are relying on this to gain BIG profits, its widely known that all developers have targets to sell, and i'd imagine GT5's being astronomically high.

Another thing ive noticed is that the opinion on the internet is completely different to that away from the computer, generally, if you look on your facebook, go out ask your friends who bought it and see all the empty shelves in the stores, you'll know that this game has done well... its actually just clicked that Microsoft is relying solely on internet trolling and backhanders to combat GT5, lets just hope PD take the criticism on the chin and strive for PROPER perfection and greater depth next time... I wonder what i'd have to do to make suggestions in person to PD on the motorsports front.

I'm pretty sure after selling 5m copies of GT5 Prologue and 2 million copies of GT psp, PD is definitely in the Green.

Gt5 will sell well regardless of the reviews, remember that ps3 games sell well on peoples recommendations.. games like LBP and uncharted did so well cause people were impressed by playing them, not because of the reviews.

It will look the same realistic at 720p.The reason why the game looks in 720p worse that in 1080p is just because game is made ONLY for 1080p mode and in 720p (or other) mode(s) game uses hardware bilinear filtering on textures to scale them down - that caused in blurry textures.Also even digital RPM gauge looks distorted at other than 1080p resolution.And worst of all PD didn't fix that. :indiff:
I mean why the game looks so realistic is not depended on resolution.It's game graphics engine build that way.

That's not the case. The game looks more blurry due to your TV screen. Some TVs / Monitors do better at showing lower resolution content on the screen, you will know what I mean if you lower the resolution on your laptop or PC and you will see it will look blurry. If your TV native resolution is 1080p then it will look better but I believe 720p has more anti aliasing than 1080p in GT5 but the sharpness of the 1080p will compensate for the lack of the extra anti-aliasing.

There might not be a GT6 because if you think of it ECONOMICALLY from a BUSINESS point of view, GT5 has taken 5 years and cost $60 million to make, if reviews aren't good and the sales don't live up to hopes then Sony may decide that such a costly game with such a lengthy development time might not be viable for them from a business perspective.

Think of it, what would you rather have? A promising new exclusive title or a franchise in its 5th instalment thats cost a hell of a lot more? Chief execs in Sony won't be 100% clued up on gaming and won't take a good view on this, sounds very ridiculous but the axe may loom for GT if the sales aren't good/profitable.

GT5 has good reviews considering many reviewers are taking pot shots at the game due to lack of understanding of the development time.

In that time, they have released Tourist Trophy, Gran Turismo PSP and GT5 Prologue.

In comparison to it's rival on the other platform has released Forza 2 and 3, Forza 1 released at a similar time to GT4.

The only thing carried over from previous GT games are the GT4 cars and they have been remodelled for the PS3. The rest is built from the ground up. Forza physics engine has been built on top upon Forza 1 I believe while GT5 is a completely new one. I'm actually suprised how fast Polyphony Digital can develop, I think they are the fastest in the business. People don't see the bigger picture so they will throw insults at Polyphony even though, the staff must have worked day and night at times to get the game ready for many years.

About commercial success, GT5 will most likely be all profit after the costs of advertising and cost of making the discs are paid for. GT PSP (Assets of GT5) and GT5 Prologue have most likely paid of the development cost of GT5.

I rather have 200 odd premium cars which are ready for next-gen, i.e. modelled inside and out than have 1000 standard cars with added on cockpits, similar to what Forza 3 cars, standard cars (Forza 2) with added cockpits. It is a waste of development in my opinion as they will scrap the cars next-gen if they want to keep up. GT5 is a game for future iterations to build upon. I belive GT5 work will take until GT7 to show how far they are ahead of the competition if it released on PS4. The car models are really amazing detailed. If Sony were to make a console now, the actual power of the console will be at least 6 times more powerful using mid-range parts and 10 times with high end parts. This will double if they release PS4 in 2014 and the console will most likely be 14 times faster than the PS3. My mid-range laptop I bought for £300 used in 2007 plays multi-platform games better than my PS3, it's amazing they can push 60fps at 1080p on such a console.

Other games like Grid and Forza are only made to last this generation, in terms of car detail. They will have to reinvest next generation to get near the quality of the GT5 Premium cars.

Also axing the GT franchise is equivalent to suicide for Sony, it has always been its biggest selling exclusive and if the GT5 sales match GT5P then it still will be this generation. It is a cash cow for Sony and moves consoles and sells many copies. Don't get disilusioned by reviewers who would want to make you think GT5 is a failure of a game, when most of this reviewers have had 4 days, some have only had it for a couple of days. You have to be superman to review that game in 4 days for such a big title such as GT5 and the online component has only really gone fully live as of today.

There are a lot of double standards going on if you read the reviews of other games by the same reviewer. The things they use to bring the game down on that are worse in its competitors are not even mentioned and quite a lot of reviews should be only previews as they don't even touch on many of GT5 features.

I don't mind if the reviews are negative, as long as they are justified, not because it was in 5 years in development or it cost $60m to make as a negative thing, and add things like countless delays when there have only been one in US. The other thing is not even reviewing the online component of the game when it is quite a big expanded feature for the GT series.

GT4 was only epic in terms of quantity, not quality. It many ways it was inferior to FM1, & many reviewers noted that at the time. In the intervening years Turn 10 have worked on improving the aspects of their franchise that were weak. It seems that PD have been more focused on improving the strengths - graphics - rather than addressing the weak areas - like AI. This may have left GT5 even more unbalanced than GT4.

games like LBP and uncharted did so well cause people were impressed by playing them, not because of the reviews.

Let's be honest here, LBP & Uncharted also had uniformly stellar reviews, & rightly so.

GT4 was only epic in terms of quantity, not quality. It many ways it was inferior to FM1, & many reviewers noted that at the time. In the intervening years Turn 10 have worked on improving the aspects of their franchise that were weak. It seems that PD have been more focused on improving the strengths - graphics - rather than addressing the weak areas - like AI. This may have left GT5 even more unbalanced than GT4.

For someone who had been on here a long time you do tend to contradict yourself and troll alot of the time. Im not accusing you of anything, its just an impression im getting from your posts on this thread.

Only 50 events??? Really, I was not expecting for GT5 to let me down here. Now that there is day to night transitions how can you not have Endurance Events????

Am I the only I really shocked at these things?

Let's be honest here, LBP & Uncharted also had uniformly stellar reviews, & rightly so.

I haven't played the game myself, but from watching some of the GTP user videos, the AI has been much improved.. they seem really well behaved in single player, and try to avoid collision to the best of the cars ability. If you drive like a maniac on the road, people can't really do much to avoid getting hit.

Even in Bspec mode, just watching the AI drive is so much fun, since they mess up, and other AI cars try to avoid the collision and succeed. I'm not sure what else you can ask for..

Only 50 events??? Really, I was not expecting for GT5 to let me down here. Now that there is day to night transitions how can you not have Endurance Events????

This I also found incredibly confusing... I thought the point of day night transition was to make enduros better...

There might not be a GT6 because if you think of it ECONOMICALLY from a BUSINESS point of view, GT5 has taken 5 years and cost $60 million to make, if reviews aren't good and the sales don't live up to hopes then Sony may decide that such a costly game with such a lengthy development time might not be viable for them from a business perspective.

Think of it, what would you rather have? A promising new exclusive title or a franchise in its 5th instalment thats cost a hell of a lot more? Chief execs in Sony won't be 100% clued up on gaming and won't take a good view on this, sounds very ridiculous but the axe may loom for GT if the sales aren't good/profitable.

That would be the best thing that could happen to this series.

It's when Sony will tighten the leash on Kaz that he'll get out of that fantasy world he's lost in and get his act straight

It's when Sony will tighten the leash on Kaz that he'll get out of that fantasy world he's lost in and get his act straight

In order to exceed expectations Polyphony need a kick up the arse, in most cases this works, in cricket you had demi-god players like Dravid and Ganguly dropped from the Indian squad and coming back even better, you had it happen to countless football players, BBC Asian Network being threatened with the axe and responding in a surge of listeners... all Polyphony need for GT6 is a kick up the arse and perhaps someone stepping in to oversee the whole thing and leaving Kaz to have a more in depth hands on role. They should also look at having bases in the US and EU, being based in Japan does not geographically favour them when it comes to costs of going abroad to scan cars, tracks, etc.

In my opinion that would be the worst thing to happen to the series as it would no longer exist. If you meant releasing it more frequently then GT will lose its specialness and Kazunori Yamuichi might develop other games in a fall out with Sony, GT will be less than half as good as it could be and us fans will be paying for more iterations which are rushed and lacking in content and innovation. If this is what you like and want GT games to be rushed or axed then I think you are into the wrong series of games. This will most likely never happen though as Gran Turismo has always been Sony Playstation's biggest franchise ever since the launch of the PS1. GT5 will most likely be the biggest selling PS3 game despite the negative reviews and it is already turning a profit for Sony.

In my opinion that would be the worst thing to happen to the series as it would no longer exist. If you meant releasing it more frequently then GT will lose its specialness and Kazunori Yamuichi might develop other games in a fall out with Sony, GT will be less than half as good as it could be and us fans will be paying for more iterations which are rushed and lacking in content and innovation. If this is what you like and want GT games to be rushed or axed then I think you are into the wrong series of games. This will most likely never happen though as Gran Turismo has always been Sony Playstation's biggest franchise ever since the launch of the PS1. GT5 will most likely be the biggest selling PS3 game despite the negative reviews and it is already turning a profit for Sony.

No, cutting off the investment completely would do that. What I'm talking about is when Sony does not get as much profit as anticipated, they will most certainly grab KY's neck and blame him. That way he would be shaken back to reality - that this world has limits, especially in lying. :dunce:

For someone who had been on here a long time you do tend to contradict yourself and troll alot of the time.

? I have no idea what this means. You appear to be a relative newcomer on here, but I've been consistent in my criticisms of the GT franchise for the last few years - GT is great at some things & weak at others. Judging by the reviews (which are the topic of this thread) GT5 appears to continue this pattern. I rarely post in the GT5 threads because they tend to have a lot of posts by people with an irrational emotional attachment to GT.

In order to exceed expectations Polyphony need a kick up the arse,

Oddly, you seem to agree with me! ;)

PD are resting on their laurels too much.

I'm sure that, regardless, GT5 will have a lot to recommend it, will sell well, & I'm hoping, in particular, that the AI turns out to be better than some of the reviews indicate. I'll know for sure later today ...

Last edited:

You are spot on with this mate! Atleast you aren't blinded by the hype like every1 else and speak your mind!

That's not possible... Where have you found this info?? :guilty:I was already dreaming for a true le mans 24h.... Hmmm I'm starting to understand the votes of reviewers:ill:

That's not possible... Where have you found this info?? :guilty:I was already dreaming for a true le mans 24h.... Hmmm I'm starting to understand the votes of reviewers:ill:

Technically wut does it change ? You can create them yourself 👍 I personnaly think it's better like that, because I couldn't be bothered doing the entire 24 hours race to get 100% of the game.... And I'm sure if I did one with my 40 go PS3, it would burn after overheating :grumpy: .

A spec has 5 groups of 9 events (45 events)
Then there are a few special events - karting/nascar etc

A high level player has already checked all the events in A spect and there were no enduros. Beats me!

:ill:

Technically wut does it change ? You can create them yourself 👍 I personnaly think it's better like that, because I couldn't be bothered doing the entire 24 hours race to get 100% of the game.... And I'm sure if I did one with my 40 go PS3, it would burn after overheating :grumpy: .

Yes but then you get no credits in arcade mode which is the only way of creating them.

I just read ps3.ign.com's review. 8.5/10????? NFS: HP got a 9 and Forza 3 got a 9.4 which I don't get. Comparing to Forza I understand but NFS??? That's an arcade racer. And of course they brought up damage and the fact it's not up to par with NFS HP which was developed by the same people who made Burnout. Maybe most of them are Nascar fans, love to see crashes. Oh well. I kind of had a feeling they were going to hate on the game even though SOME things I actually agree with (no brake tuning/upgrade???).

I was not surprised by the IGN review. the IGN bloke who reviewed the game may be quite a fan of Microsoft games and products if this is true (i found this on other site...i need to find a direct link)

Martin Robinson (IGN GT5 reviewer) Facebook:

NOTABLE LIKES: XBOX, MASS EFFECT 2, official XBOX magazine, BUNGIE, BUNGIE LLC, HALO 3, HALO REACH.

I can't give a link but some of the GTP's who have had the game for a while are saying such things, it is really disapointing.

Not to mention that plenty of fanboys here and Kaz said that GT5 is for the hardcore fans. How can you say that with so few events and no endurance events.

No, cutting off the investment completely would do that. What I'm talking about is when Sony does not get as much profit as anticipated, they will most certainly grab KY's neck and blame him. That way he would be shaken back to reality - that this world has limits, especially in lying. :dunce:

If you read the person who you quoted he said that Sony may scrap GT investment in favour of another new exclusive title. Polyphony Digital won't let that happen, and might go multi-platform if they do this. If Sony try to put more pressure on Kaz then he will more likely walk. It is Sony's loss, not Polyphony Digital and Kaz. They are not a loss making games company and can easily operate by themselves. They will get a lot more sales if they were multi-platform. I don't know who owns the IP, even if Sony do GT without Polyphony Digital may as well not exist.

The thing I think Polyphony Digital can improve upon most is there PR. The other thing I would recommend is outsourcing some of the car modelling to other companies, so if there are any imperfections they can touch it up themselves. This will allow them to push a lot more premium quality cars and also more tracks, with similar investment but a lot less time and similar quality.

Back