GT5 Servers gone, will they EVER return?

• Thread starter VR_Paul
  • 45 comments

Should GT5 servers have another chance ?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
VSR_Luke
First off, I know I'm a bit late but it's w/e

So I got GT5 way back in 2011 and I've loved every second of gameplay, and I still do today.
Then, the servers went away, and that has scarred me ever since. But even to this day, I've had very high hopes that they would eventually return, via hacking or not ( for more reasons than one )

Even to this day, my hopes remain very high.

This area may be used to discuss potential methods of bringing the GT5 online servers and the GT5 community back to life.

So far, I found that support and dedication from the community ( via donating, or just general support ) could increase the chance of the servers re-opening.

What do you think?

First off, I know I'm a bit late but it's w/e

So I got GT5 way back in 2011 and I've loved every second of gameplay, and I still do today.
Then, the servers went away, and that has scarred me ever since. But even to this day, I've had very high hopes that they would eventually return, via hacking or not ( for more reasons than one )

Even to this day, my hopes remain very high.

This area may be used to discuss potential methods of bringing the GT5 online servers and the GT5 community back to life.

So far, I found that support and dedication from the community ( via donating, or just general support ) could increase the chance of the servers re-opening.

What do you think?

Forget it and move on to GT6 - it has extra cars, extra tracks, better physics, better sounds, a much better course creator and still has a thriving online community with clubs and leagues offering online racing every night of the week.

Likewise here, I missed GT5 online when the servers where shut down, had many a great memory online, as GT5 was my first game on PS3 and my first taste of online. As much as I'd love the GT5 servers to be re-activated, I think it's highly unlikely that they will. But you never know I guess.

If there was another way of bringing the online community back another way, then I'd be all for it, although if it was possible, I'd imagine it would be very difficult to do so.

Likewise here, I missed GT5 online when the servers where shut down, had many a great memory online, as GT5 was my first game on PS3 and my first taste of online. As much as I'd love the GT5 servers to be re-activated, I think it's highly unlikely that they will. But you never know I guess.

If there was another way of bringing the online community back another way, then I'd be all for it, although if it was possible, I'd imagine it would be very difficult to do so.

You're definitely right, it is definitely possible to do this, but at the same time, it would be very difficult to do this

But my hopes are high, and you can never be sure if it will happen.

I might look for potential methods soon

Other than hacking into the server ( which would be downright stupid ) I'm almost certain there is a way to get the servers up again

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than hacking into the server ( which would be downright stupid ) I'm almost certain there is a way to get the servers up again

To be honest I wouldn't doubt it, would just be very difficult. But hey, these forums are filled with many clever clog's who have been able to do amazing things with the likes of GT2 and 3 :gtpflag: (only have to look in the GT2 searching for hidden things thread for that). Although I admit fiddling with the GT5 servers is a little different.

Last edited:
Personally, I believe that GT5 could see a revival through the creation of a custom server, and considering the amazing thing we've done to previous GT games, this seems very doable

I would like the servers to be brought back so I could do shuffle racing again. Dirty shuffle racing was really popular back in the day and I'm sure it would still be around today if it could be.

Agreed. Dirty racing is still a big thing in GT6, and it would definitely still be around and popular if GT5 had it's servers relaunched. One of my reasons I want them back too

That's one of the reasons why it needs to be opened again, I'll never forget the enjoyment of shuffle racing. At least add it to GT6, but of course, the servers need to be reopened regardless, as this will help the fun and competitive sides of the community.

But I do believe that with enough support from the community, we CAN make this happen

The easiest way to get the game back online is for someone to make a custom server, but even then it would be complicated. Wouldn't someone need to recreate the server software or find the source code?

Source code might be ok to find, since polyphony have moved on from GT5 for now. And look at the amazing stuff we've done with older GT games. Creating a custom server is possible in my opinion.

The easiest way to get the game back online is for someone to make a custom server, but even then it would be complicated. Wouldn't someone need to recreate the server software or find the source code?

Yes, you are right, they would. @ VR_Paul As much as I would like to see it happen, it never will, not unless PD does it themselves or allows someone else to do it. I was one of the ones that got into the hybridding and hacking, if you will, towards the end of GT5. I also have extensive knowledge of how servers and such work as I used to work for an ISP and also lived with people that hosted gaming servers themselves. When servers are taken offline, they are shutdown and "unplugged" from the internet, most commonly. Or, they are wiped and used for something else. So, no amount of hacking will get you in. At any rate, as sad as it is to say, I'm afraid that the days of GT5 online are long gone, unless, like I said, PD decides otherwise, which I doubt very much will happen. I would almost bet that the servers used for GT5 are offline, sitting collecting dust as they are old technology by now. At any rate, its just time to move on, GT5 online is just a distant, fond memory.

Right, but if GT6 had features of GT5 online, it would be much better. For me personally, GT online experiences will never be the same as GT5, which is why I've longed for them to reopen the servers. My hopes will always be high, but I'll just have to wait and see.

And also, I haven't even heard of what PD have in store next for GT6. Hopefully, it's some sort of update.
Maybe they could reopen GT5 servers on some sort of anniversary. ( e.g. 20 years of GT ) unless PD say otherwise

And also, I haven't even heard of what PD have in store next for GT6. Hopefully, it's some sort of update.
Gran Turismo 6 is done with as the last update was released in December of 2015. All focus is now on GT Sport.
Maybe they could reopen GT5 servers on some sort of anniversary. ( e.g. 20 years of GT ) unless PD say otherwise
99.99% sure that is not going to happen, sorry to say.

It's not going to come back to us, unless a player builds a custom server, which would probably happen in mid 7 years or so when emulation for PS3 and the Xbox 360 turn to PC. That will make it easier to build a server and how the TCP packets can be handled, thus we will be able to use GT5 fully again, it's no NFS World, but got revived a little while after the shutdown a few years ago. In other words, it is just not possible to make a custom server yet, but is possible.

I can't see GT5 ever coming back - I hold out more hope that something is done so that the brilliant custom tracks made by people with the GT6 course creator are not lost when the GT6 servers are switched off - that has a much higher priority and importance in my view.

That is a good priority. Look, I know the chances are seriously low, but I can't tell any of you how much GT5 online meant to me, and it's such a shame to see them go. That's why I've always wanted them to reopen, no matter how small the odds are.

This could be a potential solution. I found out about something called a 'dedicated server'. Could this be a solution to GT5?

Furthermore, If you remember back in early 2014, PD are clearly capable of having two GT games online at the same time, I don't see no reason why they can't have GT5 servers up, even if it's only up to the release of GT Sport.

Yes, you are right, they would. @ VR_Paul As much as I would like to see it happen, it never will, not unless PD does it themselves or allows someone else to do it. I was one of the ones that got into the hybridding and hacking, if you will, towards the end of GT5. I also have extensive knowledge of how servers and such work as I used to work for an ISP and also lived with people that hosted gaming servers themselves. When servers are taken offline, they are shutdown and "unplugged" from the internet, most commonly. Or, they are wiped and used for something else. So, no amount of hacking will get you in. At any rate, as sad as it is to say, I'm afraid that the days of GT5 online are long gone, unless, like I said, PD decides otherwise, which I doubt very much will happen. I would almost bet that the servers used for GT5 are offline, sitting collecting dust as they are old technology by now. At any rate, its just time to move on, GT5 online is just a distant, fond memory.

PD are clearly capable of having two GT games online at the same time ( from early 2014 ). I don't see any reason why they shouldn't bring GT5 servers back, even if it's only up to the release of GT Sport?

PD are clearly capable of having two GT games online at the same time ( from early 2014 ). I don't see any reason why they shouldn't bring GT5 servers back, even if it's only up to the release of GT Sport?

Yes, they are capable, but why would they? It doesn't even make sense from a business point of view. They have moved on, maybe you should too. They are not going to bring back a game that is on an old platform (PS3) when they are working on one on a new platform. (PS4) I admire your enthusiasm, but you just have to let it go.

PS. Don't multiple post in a row, its against the forum rules, just fyi. :)

They are still on the same platform as GT5 ( kind of ) because GT6 servers are still running, and since that's the only server that's running, and with Gt6 being on the same platform as Gt5, surely they could support GT5 too, before they move "fully" to PS4.
PS. I won't post multiple times, thx for reminding

Take it from someone who's in IT, it's not going to happen anytime soon. The cost of keeping GT5's old server hardware going will just increase and increase compared to what profit they would gain from the game's continued sales. It's like trying to maintain a 50 year old car whose parts are hard to come by. It's just easier to shut it down and move on to newer things.

Maybe there was reason to keep GT5 going longer. I know that many of the people I played with frequently online played GT5 until the end and never went to GT6 or had any interest in why they should. Certainly there were many things that probably should have been done before GT5 was abandoned.

But why would they ever bring them back now, after they have been gone for multiple years? They aren't going to get any new players when GT6 costs basically nothing, and they wouldn't (and, really, shouldn't) be concerned with getting back the people who never had interest in the game they replaced GT5 with.

The point is, no matter what GT Sport's online quality may be, nothing will be as good as GT5 online personally, that's why I've always hoped they'd re-open someday.

They'll never be officially re-opened but if the demand is there, a hobbyist will find a way to get the game servers to point to somewhere else and hook up.

I was into the Dreamcast emulation scene a few years back and games that only ever used official servers were got working again and you could play all the classics through various work arounds.

I think this is a bigger question though, why do developers switch off online functionality so quickly? It's not really that expensive to run and considering the good will they loose by switching them off, why not keep them on?

I always enjoyed GT5 Online service. GT6 IMO had a tonne of feature but hardly anyone played it online casually. GT5 had tonnes of people to play with at any given time.

It could come back in about 5-10 if the demand is high (like seriously high that it would seem impossible) for someone to make a custom server whch would be great because GT5 is rather unplayable without the win award bonus in most places.

Sadly we have to let this ship die. This is always a problem I had with games that relied heavily on online, once the online died, there is no point in replaying the game. I sometimes will continue to play GT5 Prologue from time and time but with GT5 itself, I pretty much deleted everything on it, since there's no point going back to it.

It could come back in about 5-10 if the demand is high (like seriously high that it would seem impossible) for someone to make a custom server whch would be great because GT5 is rather unplayable without the win award bonus in most places.

Sadly we have to let this ship die. This is always a problem I had with games that relied heavily on online, once the online died, there is no point in replaying the game. I sometimes will continue to play GT5 Prologue from time and time but with GT5 itself, I pretty much deleted everything on it, since there's no point going back to it.

I can see your point, that a game with quite an large array of online features becomes useless once the plug has been pulled. But personally, i find myself popping GT5 back in and continue to enjoy to this day. However, features like the online dealership and what not, are definitely missed offline.

Although, as you said, with more and more games become heavily biased towards online, therein lies the problem that when when the servers are switched off, unless those features are adapted in to work offline, there's the danger that the game will be rather lacking without said features.

Anyway, I digress, back to the original topic, as @Wools said if the demand is there a single (or group of) keen individual could bring the servers back to life. The reason as to why developers switch off servers (or at least in PD's case) is the make way for the new servers for the the new game/GT. But I'd thought they would need to be shut off so soon, but hey what do I know...

Last edited:
Back