GT5 Servers gone, will they EVER return?

• Thread starter VR_Paul
  • 45 comments

Should GT5 servers have another chance ?

• Total voters
once the pug has been pulled.
dog%20pulling%20on%20a%20leash%20126852056.jpg

Had to.

Serious comment: Speaking of the servers, it appears that GT6 servers are set to expire in December. A friend of mine told me the quickmatches all have an end date in December 2017.

Would it even be possible for anyone other than PD to bring back the servers? I mean, the game has been patched to disable the online features, right? And even before that patch, it was programmed to look for a specific server, you couldn't just connect it to any server out there.

dog%20pulling%20on%20a%20leash%20126852056.jpg

Had to.

Serious comment: Speaking of the servers, it appears that GT6 servers are set to expire in December. A friend of mine told me the quickmatches all have an end date in December 2017.

:lol: My bad, edited now was almost tempted to leave it in.

On a serious note though, if that's the case then I'd imagine the rest of the online features would follow suit relatively soon after that perhaps. On a positive note, that may mean GTSport is somewhat close(er) around the corner if they're prepping to shut down GT6 online services. But this is all ifs buts and maybes regarding GTS (as we've become accustomed to now :lol:).

Would it even be possible for anyone other than PD to bring back the servers? I mean, the game has been patched to disable the online features, right? And even before that patch, it was programmed to look for a specific server, you couldn't just connect it to any server out there.
Probably, but it would take time and people's demand.

Wow, I've missed a big conversation.
But anyway, as one said, a hobbyist could reconnect the GT5 servers if they got enough support, if they were to come back, I'd say it would be this year now that GT6 servers have an expiry date. It could come back in 5-10 as you say, but we'll just have to give all the support we've got.

Well, if GT6 is going to be offline somewhere in 2017, might as well get GT5 back up and running again on a PC that is with a huge server to where it can handle the bandwidth of the people downloading and sharing cars. If that is the case then GT6 will most likely be unplayable within the course maker aspect of the game, unless PD changes that, which is highly doubtful.

I think we can do it with emulation involved, other than that I can't think of any other way to get back the servers.

Well if GT5 on PC/Emulator exists, it should be more than possible to get the servers back up.
Apparently GT5 on PC exists, so the servers could actually be brought back to life

Last edited:
Well if GT5 on PC/Emulator exists, it should be more than possible to get the servers back up.
Apparently GT5 on PC exists, so the servers could actually be brought back to life

It doesn't. Emulating the PS3's hardware is VERY hard.
What @Ameer67 said, PS2 emulation is already complex and still have problems with certain game and needs a really beefed up PC's, let alone a PS3.

Knowing there is no hope in online GT5, I wish at least Sony will offer a "Special Weekend GT5 Online!" but well maybe this is another impossible. I heard that GT Sport is coming later this year, making me no point to buy GT6 now? But well GT Sport is on PS4 which need to pay extra money to play online... things are very complicated! What should I do?

Sadly the plug was pulled on GT5 way to early so fans never got their monies worth... cause of rushing to get out GT6 on the PS3 instead of doing a great GT6 on PS4. Now of course there's GTS with GT6's online life in the balance and most likely will also come to an end very soon. From reading the negative threads so far about GTS, sure makes me wonder just how long that will last if they don't do something in it GT old school style. GT5 as well as GT4 & GT3 are the best offline and still keep me plenty busy having fun with those "Special Extras" that are available and can be done with them much unlike the new school stuff.

Chaparral 2D '67-Racing At Nürburgring 24Hr.jpg

I just read recently a thread in the GT6 forum where there is an attempt to get 20,000 signatures on a petition requesting Sony to basically keep the online lobbies open in GT6. I personally don't think it will ever happen, but I wish them good luck and hope in succeeds and that I'm wrong. Anyway, I've also noticed recently reading various threads in the GTS forum is there seems to be a hefty demand wish list for GT5/GT6 type cars and tracks. Just a guess, but I think what is really wanted is a GT type old school GT7 which someday will probably come in the far future because of probable demand. The one thing I don't get is that I believe things like the Game Shark and Codebreaker disks used in GT4 and the likes of Garage Editor in GT5 actually fueled "more" sales of the games and respective consoles . Now I will admit I can't prove that with hard statistical numbers, but it is a good educated guess that many used them for their own personal fun and not to abuse online racing, and some will never admit that, but soooooo many threads about it in the past should be a reasonable clue indicator. Yes some did abuse online, but it makes me wonder, especially since there is no online for GT4/GT5 and very soon GT6 how many retro GT gamers will be back. Makes me wonder why with probable fueled sales that some wasn't actually encouraged, but at the same time blocked vehicles that competed online and such other deemed required blocks to keep things fair rather than what I call the BIG BAN. One of the biggest complaints I see is that the cars of GTS are really rented and not owned in a personal "offline" garage. Clearly a effort to control and not allow any form of modifications. Understandable in today's times I suppose, but it is kinda sad to see the good ol' days of GT becoming a thing of the past it seems. I wonder if when GTS goes offline, and it probably will someday, if a patch will exist then to pass on those offline cars to one's personal offline garage.

I just read recently a thread in the GT6 forum where there is an attempt to get 20,000 signatures on a petition requesting Sony to basically keep the online lobbies open in GT6. I personally don't think it will ever happen, but I wish them good luck and hope in succeeds and that I'm wrong. Anyway, I've also noticed recently reading various threads in the GTS forum is there seems to be a hefty demand wish list for GT5/GT6 type cars and tracks. Just a guess, but I think what is really wanted is a GT type old school GT7 which someday will probably come in the far future because of probable demand. The one thing I don't get is that I believe things like the Game Shark and Codebreaker disks used in GT4 and the likes of Garage Editor in GT5 actually fueled "more" sales of the games and respective consoles . Now I will admit I can't prove that with hard statistical numbers, but it is a good educated guess that many used them for their own personal fun and not to abuse online racing, and some will never admit that, but soooooo many threads about it in the past should be a reasonable clue indicator. Yes some did abuse online, but it makes me wonder, especially since there is no online for GT4/GT5 and very soon GT6 how many retro GT gamers will be back. Makes me wonder why with probable fueled sales that some wasn't actually encouraged, but at the same time blocked vehicles that competed online and such other deemed required blocks to keep things fair rather than what I call the BIG BAN. One of the biggest complaints I see is that the cars of GTS are really rented and not owned in a personal "offline" garage. Clearly a effort to control and not allow any form of modifications. Understandable in today's times I suppose, but it is kinda sad to see the good ol' days of GT becoming a thing of the past it seems. I wonder if when GTS goes offline, and it probably will someday, if a patch will exist then to pass on those offline cars to one's personal offline garage.
Where do I sign this petition?

Back