GT5 Shoot Out (Unlimited Spots Available)

  • Thread starter Thread starter gogatrs
  • 54 comments
  • 2,711 views
Messages
7,424
United States
I Hate Stalkers
Messages
gogatrs
OK, in the time that I've been grounded (Stayed up till midnight racing online, it was good while it lasted) I have been thinking non stop about GT5.

While I was thinking, I had a uh, um, uh (what's it called when the Buddha had his idea) oh yeah.
I had an ENLIGHTENMENT. Yes, God spoke to me with this idea.

A Gran Turismo 5 Shoot Out!

Here's how it (please choose one: might/would) work:

We would have x racers divided into 2 groups based on the times that worked for each group.
We would have a race for each group and some many racers would advance to the next round.
We would all be using the EXACT same car, I should add.
Drivers would keep progressing through different rounds until we reach the fourth and final round where two drivers would battle it out, head to head in one final race.

The only aids allowed would be TCS, ASM, ABS, and the driving line. But we can change this if you guys would like.

We can all decide on the track(s) but I would suggest the ring and maybe Le Mans and a trip to (damn I wish there was spa) Suzuka then back to the ring for the final round.

We can also all choose which car we would all be using, but I'd suggest something poetic, like a German car on the Nurburgring, a Japanese car on Suzuka, and a French car on Le Mans.
Completely up to you guys.

We would need quite a few people for this, like 20 or so, but I would gladly accept more!

Only problem is deciding on the prize other than bragging rights, maybe a couple level tickets?

So, what do you guys think?
 
Last edited:
Are you sure that was God talking to you?
 
seadog777
Are you sure that was God talking to you?

Why is it not a good idea?
If anybody has any suggestions, please post here.
I would probably turn boost on just to keep the racing close and turn off the penalties, because driving through ghosts is stupid.
If anyone objects, again, feel free to post.
 
Why is nobody interested?
Please post why you don't want to do this so I can improve it.
Thanks!
 
Sounds like an interesting idea, I'd be interested in trying it out
 
Your system is barely modeled on the swiss round system. I like the idea. Can be interesting if you manage to gather a fair amount of drivers.
 
SmokingCones
Your system is barely modeled on the swiss round system. I like the idea. Can be interesting if you manage to gather a fair amount of drivers.

It truly is still in draft form, I'm also considering something similar to what theyre using in the GT Academy.
Please, even if you dont want to do this, post WHY!
 
Sounds like a good idea but not my cup of tea. I am not big on racing one on one. I like to race in a group.
 
IndyRacer
Sounds like a good idea but not my cup of tea. I am not big on racing one on one. I like to race in a group.

It's not one on one racing, jus the final round, the rest of the races would be with a larger pack of people.
 
Any more takers?
We can let you guys decide how to run this.
I'll let you guys pick the track, the time and dates, and the car.
We can discuss all that, but I can't do that without suggestions!
There wouldn't be a weekly set day and time. Just a time that works for all the drivers that need to race.
Wed have two separate "brackets" or something like that for EU and US racers.

I need suggestions guys!
 
Any car suggestions?
I think that it would be good if it was in the Recommended Garage.
Perhaps a Golf?
Or maybe something faster, like a GTR or MP4.
Completely up to you guys.
 
Here are some suggestions. Mind you, these are all just my own opinion so don't flame me if your opinion differs:

Track: use different tracks for the different rounds as the shootout progresses -- I'm just not sure if many people would want to race the same course over and over and over until there's only one person left. For a tournament I suggest Tokyo 246, High Speed Ring, Grand Valley, Rome, or any other track that's wide enough for a full field of cars. Nurb is out of the question, too long and too narrow. And the courses don't need to be voted on for fairness' sake (everyone will be on the same track) but a more popular course will obviously bring more participants.

Car: I think the Golf is unsuitable due to the FF configuration but others will surely disagree. I would prefer FR or at least AWD. And something relatively spicy, say in the 300-400 PP range or higher.

That's all I got right now. Online tournaments and c'ship series are awesome, I hope yours gets off the ground.
 
DGXR
Here are some suggestions. Mind you, these are all just my own opinion so don't flame me if your opinion differs:

Track: use different tracks for the different rounds as the shootout progresses -- I'm just not sure if many people would want to race the same course over and over and over until there's only one person left. For a tournament I suggest Tokyo 246, High Speed Ring, Grand Valley, Rome, or any other track that's wide enough for a full field of cars. Nurb is out of the question, too long and too narrow. And the courses don't need to be voted on for fairness' sake (everyone will be on the same track) but a more popular course will obviously bring more participants.

Car: I think the Golf is unsuitable due to the FF configuration but others will surely disagree. I would prefer FR or at least AWD. And something relatively spicy, say in the 300-400 PP range or higher.

That's all I got right now. Online tournaments and c'ship series are awesome, I hope yours gets off the ground.

Hmmm, depends on what others say.
 
After thinking about it, I do like your idea of a different track for each round.
I think it would be good to start out on the ring for the very first round, but as you mentioned, it's relatively narrow, which means we could use lower powered cars to counteract that and reduce bumping.
Then we could move on to La Sarthe and use a higher powered car. (Going down the Mulsanne at 100 mph is not fun AT ALL)
And then we could come back to the ring for the final round, and we could let the two contestants choose the car.
Thoughts?
 
Guys I'm really hoping to get this going, if we can get twenty or so people that are interested in this, I would be a very happy man.

Obviously there are people that don't want to do this, but please tell me why you don't want to do this.
 
ok good idea.. im in :)

1 problem.. as soon as you hit the straight in Nurburgring you can be leading the whole way and lose it to someone drafting you and overtaking at the last point!

so you ccould run it to the last turn before the straight?
 
jimy281090
ok good idea.. im in :)

1 problem.. as soon as you hit the straight in Nurburgring you can be leading the whole way and lose it to someone drafting you and overtaking at the last point!

so you ccould run it to the last turn before the straight?

Oh yeah, good thought, we could also say that you can double block as in weave back and forth for that straightaway.
Completely up to you guys.
We could end it under the bridge too.
 
yeah under the bridge so you have a bit of sprint at the end :)
 
jimy281090
yeah under the bridge so you have a bit of sprint at the end :)

OK, if everyone else is OK with that, we can do that.
Really hoping to get more interest in this. More suggestions are wanted.
 
OK, I just talked to one of my buddies on PSN, he said that he'll drive what ever I'm driving where I'm driving it.
So, we can add one more person to the list.
Still waiting for more suggestions...
 
OK, I just updated the OP.
Still looking for more people.
I can change basically anything within reason if someone wants me to.
 
ill be up for it like the idea of just driving skill as the deciding factor of who wins a race so yeah my psn is willfred_1
 
OK, that would be 7 to eight people that we have so far.
If any of you guys have friends that aren't on GTPlanet, talk to them about this and then post here if they like the idea.

We can turn more aids on or off if you guys would like.
Start getting some ideas for each different round.
 
I'm interested in somewhat organized racing and I like your idea.
I would like the car to be premiere not standard with sport soft tyres. Why not different cars for different style of tracks.

Btw.
TCS, ABS, and the driving line
What's the point in racing with aids?
 
pampsu
I'm interested in somewhat organized racing and I like your idea.
I would like the car to be premiere not standard with sport soft tyres. Why not different cars for different style of tracks.

Btw.

What's the point in racing with aids?

The cars would be out of the recommended garage, as for the aids, I myself only use abs, and sometimes the driving line, but other people use the aids, we can turn them off if nobody wants them on, but there are people out there that do use them.
 
OK guys, here's the tracks and cars for the first shootout. We can change them if you absolutely oppose one of the tracks/cars...
So here goes!

Round 1: Nurburgring Nordschleife Time Change 3 Laps/BMW M3 Coupe '07
Round 2: Circuit de la Sarthe Change Time and Weather 4 Laps/Peugeot 207 GTi '07
Round 3: Suzuka 5 Laps/Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) '02
Round 4: Nurburgring Nordschleife Change Time 1 Lap/Nissan GTR

The number of drivers eliminated during each round will be determined right before the start of the very first race.
If you have any questions, please ask.
We still need more participants, so keep signing up!
 
Hi gogatrs,

Got your PM today... I was interested in this shootout until I saw that Nurb is on the track list. It is a good practice and test/tune track but I feel it is *horrible* for actual racing because it is virtually impossible to pass on, it is so narrow and twisty that it takes too much attention just to be fast and stay on-course let alone trying to pass someone without hitting them. This might sound like I'm a bad driver but I am not (currently first in points in another online c'ship series). Basically, with Nurb we would be better off doing time trials. I suggest Cape Ring, Rome, Grand Valley, etc... tracks that can accommodate more than 2-3 cars in a bunch without always getting into a big wreck.

We're all using the same cars so it's an even playing field and whichever model you pick from the recommended garage will be fine.

Also you are right about the aids, they really should be available to those who choose to use them. If you don't like them, don't use them. If you feel they are an unfair advantage, find another series that doesn't allow aids. Or depending how this one goes, I might find another series that allows them. Easy as pie, not a big deal, there are lots of rooms and series out there to enter.
 
Last edited:
I'm in, whatever you decide, I wanna take part in this, thanks.
 
@DGXR, racing on the ring with lower powered cars, like the M3, is quite fun.
Its not quite as difficult to pass when you're going so much slower, you really should try one of these races out online.
Surely you could spare some of your time to do at least one race with us?

We can start this as soon as we set a date for round 1.
We can arrange it into 1 or two fields if you guys want. I'll race either way.
Start discussing dates.
I can't do during the week, so it would have to be Saturday evening (EST) or Sunday whenever.
 
@DGXR, racing on the ring with lower powered cars, like the M3, is quite fun. Its not quite as difficult to pass when you're going so much slower, you really should try one of these races out online.
Surely you could spare some of your time to do at least one race with us?

We can start this as soon as we set a date for round 1.
We can arrange it into 1 or two fields if you guys want. I'll race either way.
Start discussing dates.
I can't do during the week, so it would have to be Saturday evening (EST) or Sunday whenever.

OK I will give it a shot, why not, couldn't hurt to wrestle with the 'ring a little especially since you describe it so pleasantly. :)

My weekends are fairly open and can usually find some spare time, the only exception is this Sunday March 20 from 11:30am-1:00pm --- that is the last race of my current online series. Also I'm in the PDT zone (GMT-7)
My PSN ID = DGXR
Let's have some fun!
 
Back