GT5 Spec 2.0 Polyphony Digital appreciation thread.

• Thread starter Cucobr
  • 128 comments
CSLACR
I think Spec II is fantastic, ftw.
I have a better connection, some new cars, great new features I've been wanting for some time, and at least to a point, it finally seems PD is aware of what their customers that make Kaz's dream possible want.

Bravo, PD. 👍
Now get me some more American and European cars, a few more features missing, and I'll love you forever, unconditionally. :drool:

my thoughts exactly.

I find myself doing more cockpit views with the Standard cars with the 2.0 updates. In fact, one of the first cars I used was the Caterham. It was (to be honest) refreshing to have such a nice view even in a Standard car. I then used some of the other open-top Standard cars. I tried out the Prowler, the Courage Hybride, and the Jay Leno Tank Car. It was just wonderful seeing the open-top Standards and their in-car views. I was even pleased to see a proper interior view for the Formula Gran Turismo. But then... I used some of the other Standards. Even with the silhouette interiors, I still found joy in just utilizing the interior view. I think the serious critics will be like, "this is the PS3- graphical details like this are unacceptable. Get with the program, Polyphony Digital!" Well, would you rather these interiors than none at all? I remembered playing ToCA Race Driver 3, where most of the cars had no visible steering wheel, hands, moving gauges, and stuff like that. I don't think ANYBODY complained. GT is a top-tier racing game franchise, so I guess top-tier games have to impress on EVERY front, and the slightest hiccup can make a game bad I guess.

There isn't too much for me to be disappointed with for the most part. If I was REALLY disappointed with GT5, I'd sell this game to a pawn shop or something. I keep playing because I'm a Gran Turismo fan and enjoy the GT experience more than any other racing experience. These 2.0 updates are just going to get me to play longer and longer. At least the Standard interiors are enough to get me to care more about racing in this game. Even if at the expense of being told I'm seeing GT5 with rose-colored glasses or being called a "fanboy," I wouldn't have it any other way with GT5 and the Spec 2.0 update.

I have a friend who bought GT1 when it first came out and left his Playstation on for two weeks until he could afford a memory card to save the game.

Been my exact sentiment pretty much ever since.

I think the previous complaining was from nothing being said from PD for awhile there. And now I realize that they like to release occaisonal updates with tons of content, not just bit and pieces here and there. And that's completely understandable if people can simply wait

As for PD doing a good job... Well I haven't had time to download it, but I do admit good timing in a way, right after the BF3 beta ended, and the day before ace combat (which I now have)

Spec 2.0 is amazing, yet many people don't seem to realize it. I find it hard to understand that people are moaning about paints and crappy interiors when this update has in fact improved physics (suspension, tyre model) in such a dramatic way that GT5 is now right up there with the PC sims. 👍 It's still lacking some features, but it's coming very, very close. The physics update alone make this Spec 2.0 worthwhile, regardless of other features (of which some are iffy, I'll agree on that ;)).

From what i have seen so far it shows why PD are really interested in the legacy of gt5 kaz is clearly not wanting to let this game go and work on gt6 he knows that this game was sat in the pipeline for a lot longer than it really should of been and it now trying to make up for this.

Well done and im looking forward to the new dlc next week i will be getting it and hopefully version 3 will be just as good as v2

Spec 2.0 is amazing, yet many people don't seem to realize it. I find it hard to understand that people are moaning about paints and crappy interiors when this update has in fact improved physics (suspension, tyre model) in such a dramatic way that GT5 is now right up there with the PC sims. 👍 It's still lacking some features, but it's coming very, very close. The physics update alone make this Spec 2.0 worthwhile, regardless of other features (of which some are iffy, I'll agree on that ;)).

Because this update is separating the people who complain just to complain, from the people that just wanted improvement and acknowledgement of their continued patronage and their desires for game improvement.

The bulk of this update is straight off of GTPlanet's very own voting section we have to vote with, and you just can't ask a company for more than that. :)

I'm so happy they fixed the things we really wanted.

Slipstream fixed
Shuffle mode can now be adjusted
Every car has an interior view
DLC
New tracks
Improved loading times

I had just been getting back into GT5 when this happened so I'm very happy.

It's perhaps a sad reflection of gamers that this thread so so short?

Anyway, cheers PD. I appreciate the update and continued development oof GT5.

Just a few random thoughts:

The feel through my g25 is now much better, smoother and has a more weighty feel around the centre and when braking.

AI greatly improved, although I still feel they could do with a bit more cornering speed.

It would be nice if we could change the aero, suspension and transmission settings online in the catogories "GT300" etc.

I like arcade mode, very much now after 2.0 update. Perhaps a way of developing this further would be if you could set up a bespoke championship to give it a bit more interest rather than just one race.

The weather on the page before entering a race is not the same as at the start of the race. The amount of water shown by the new indicator can be different, meaning you may choose the wrong tyres.

Anyhow, bravo PD and thanks again.

P.S. Keep the DLC coming please.

AI greatly improved, although I still feel they could do with a bit more cornering speed.
The bots are everyone's whipping boy, aren't they? ;)

But honestly, I'd be happy if the bots would take turns brilliantly and hardly ever make a mistake in exchange for the weird brake slamming they still do - at least in A-Spec. Even saying that though, it is fun to tailgate them through turns and do your best to not nosebump them.

There still are so many areas I'm hoping Kaz and the team work on and change in GT5, things like the Paint Shop which has no paint of its own. :lol: Just... strange. How about some stock colors that match what's available for the car?

But... heck, even with all the oddities in the game, I can't stop playing it, and I'm sue even Battlefield 3 - big wargaming fan, here - won't lure me away for too long.

As I said earlier in this thread, this game is darn good.

So, I turned on the Spec 2.0 version of GT5, and immediately downloaded the new intro, I was gobsmacked. I know it's just eyecandy but man, I had shivers down my spine. I thought Forza had the best intro of a racing game ever but GT takes the biscuit here. And Forza's was incredible so I'm not sure what that makes Spec 2.0's.

Okay, flashy eyecandy aside, let's get into the game. I jump in my SLS stealth and head to cape ring, my favorite test track. As soon as I hit the track BAM it's loaded, in like 10 seconds flat at most. Once again, i'm astounded. Time to check the gameplay then. At first glance it seems the same, however, about half way through the lap, there is the corner I usually feel like i'm gliding through...its not there any more, instead my heavy piece of racing beauty is alive, I can feel the movement of it's body even through the DS3 and it feels firmly rooted to the ground. Once again, i'm loving this. So next, I come up to the Jump that CR is infamous for, i'm use to the car landing gently almost like a child going to bed...not any more. The car seems to slam the ground and I feel the force of landing, something which wasn't present before.

So, that's the moment Spec 2.0 had me in it's grasp, even after buying F1 2010 No more than a week ago I can see this eating up all my time. Well done PD

Oh and how did I follow this up? Going an hour into the 4 hour enduro at the Nurburgring driving the New GT-R.

From my other thread 👍

Many thanks to Kaz & PD for improving on so many of the issues that have been present. In particular, the emphasis on physics development gets a big thumbs up! Kinda feels like a re-release of GT5 :)

Thanks Kaz and PD. I am loving the Spec 2.0 update. I agree with others, I feel more connected with the car now.

Now, add some NEW cars, give us some old tracks back, and improve the AI, and I think the game will be complete.

Again, thanks and keep up the good work.

Also, thanks to Jordan and the gtplanet community for being right on top of everything Gran Turismo.

Yep they did a great job indeed. Even simplified cockpits are good and give the feeling that you are inside the car, mirrors also work :) Since launch what they have done is really good. Hopefully there will be more updates. But now if they want to fully concentrate on new game I do not blame them

In particular, the emphasis on physics development gets a big thumbs up! Kinda feels like a re-release of GT5 :)

Copy that. It would be so easy to throw features and content at the game, with a view to making DLC cash, whilst leaving the physics behind. There's history here with PD; they constantly updated the physics in GT5p.

So, I turned on the Spec 2.0 version of GT5, and immediately downloaded the new intro, I was gobsmacked. I know it's just eyecandy but man, I had shivers down my spine. I thought Forza had the best intro of a racing game ever but GT takes the biscuit here. And Forza's was incredible so I'm not sure what that makes Spec 2.0's.

Okay, flashy eyecandy aside, let's get into the game. I jump in my SLS stealth and head to cape ring, my favorite test track. As soon as I hit the track BAM it's loaded, in like 10 seconds flat at most. Once again, i'm astounded. Time to check the gameplay then. At first glance it seems the same, however, about half way through the lap, there is the corner I usually feel like i'm gliding through...its not there any more, instead my heavy piece of racing beauty is alive, I can feel the movement of it's body even through the DS3 and it feels firmly rooted to the ground. Once again, i'm loving this. So next, I come up to the Jump that CR is infamous for, i'm use to the car landing gently almost like a child going to bed...not any more. The car seems to slam the ground and I feel the force of landing, something which wasn't present before.

So, that's the moment Spec 2.0 had me in it's grasp, even after buying F1 2010 No more than a week ago I can see this eating up all my time. Well done PD

Oh and how did I follow this up? Going an hour into the 4 hour enduro at the Nurburgring driving the New GT-R.

From my other thread 👍

Oh I agree with this so much, I have noticed the suspension improvements! This update is great. Oh and why hasn't this thread gotten many more pages?! Seriously? It's sad how people just love to complain now...

Most games would have put out the game, maybe 3 slight updates then given up, PD didn't. They have kept working on improving the game for us, yeah maybe the game wasn't perfect when it came out but what game is? at least they have worked towards improving it! The DLC is really great and a great price tbh, just hope they keeping bringing it out along with more big updates! Thankyou PD for a great game.

I'm definitely appreciative with all their efforts. I also believe I'm one of the few that can look past the 5+ years of GT5's development and really try to understand why it took that long. Really, they're one hardworking company, and it's a shame that only a few are aware of it. I bet a lot of you don't know a lot of them camp under their working desks often, and the fact that not a lot of them are able to go home as often as normal shifters.

I can personally live off with DLCs the rest of this generation, BUT for GT's sake, I want them to release GT6 by 2013, that is assuming another Forza will release by then (if we're following their consistent 2-year schedule). Do I really care? No, but I really don't want GT to be overlooked like it is now with many critics. The hardcores like me will still support GT of course, but the casuals are at risks. Before we know it, every race, car shows, and manufacture company will turn to Turn 10 for support. K, maybe it won't go that far, but it just seems many are over-looking the staple of GT's physical and technical achievements by the other game's fancy flashes, hot supercars, and even Jeremy Clarkson.

It's great. I just watched the opening movie, and it's just incredible. I think it also shoes off some DLC that hasn't been announced, then again maybe I just haven't seen those cars yet.

The only other thing I could ask for, which is big, is to have really good and realistic damage, even if just for premium cars.

Kaz, the true definition of a A-class Developer. Without kaz, there would be no gran turismo, no daiki kasho, no soul on display.

Kaz brought the greatest driving experience on a console. The day night transition at the ring never gets old after a whole year.

Salute to you kaz and the rest of the PD team

I am also thankful for the 2.0 update. While the interiors are generic in the standards, they are at least something. So now I have finally been able to get back into GT5 again. 👍
I still wish all the cars were premium but at least this is an improvement for sure.

Because of GT, i know everything
about cars.
I grew up with this game.
I remember buying Aston Martins and painting the rims red and putting a giant spoiler on the back :)
Thanks Kaz!

btw, Kaz's twitter: @Kaz_Yamauchi
He awnsers almost everything!

When GT5 was released Kaz said he wished he had two or three more years to work on it. Well I believe we're getting the improvements he envisioned for that timeframe, a little bit at a time.

As a newbie both to GT5 and to the forum I don't know if I'm really qualified to comment, but hey, I'm female, and we ALWAYS have something to say! :)

As I don't drive in real life, I don't know if the new physics are more like being in a real car. All I know is that by the time I finished on the 'Ring tonight in my Nomad Diablo I was sweating blood but had a grin from ear to ear. If the whole point of GT5 is to make you feel like that, then it works for me.

I love the faster loading, and lesser prize money doesn't bother me. I don't feel any compulsion to own very car in the game, I just want to be able to buy and drive cars that I love, and if I have to race more to get them, well, there's no hardship in that. Every time I race my skills improve a little bit, and my grin gets wider.

I'm never going to be as good as the vast majority of people on here, you'll never see me in the open lounge events, but I am having the time of my life.

Last edited:
I really appreciate what they've done with Spec 2.0, especially in regards to the Karts and having more of them (now just need to add some with transmission and we'll all be set :P).

I think the best decision PD could make right now is instead of focusing on cars DLC, they focus on bring back GT4's track to GT5 (or from previous GTs) since sure you can enjoy new cars on the current tracks, but the ratio at which you could enjoy all of GT5's current cars on more tracks would be much greater, in my opinion.

I know a lot of people give them flak for the RM DLC cars which could be argued about obviously but I would just love to have more tracks to play around with instead :)

Back