GT5 Spec 2.0 Polyphony Digital appreciation thread.

• Thread starter Cucobr
  • 128 comments
Since i consider myself a casual player (25% completion and ive had the game since release :( ) I can confidently say i just love driving around in this game.....especially on the nurb. Been a fan since gt2 and didn't play prologue since i never new it was released but anyway. Big ups to kaz for the hard work and sweat they put into this game. The driving is sublime and that all that matters. (PS: i really have no idea how people are able to discern between frame rates or if a game is tearing but oh well, i do wear glasses so may be thats it)
out

I just want to say how sad it is that we have a thread here to simply thank Kaz and PD for what they have given to us, and we only have a measly 62 posts.

It is a shame to see us blowing up threads about what we want to see changed or what we are not happy with, and can't take 3-4 seconds to say "Thank you".

Let's try to show Kazunori and Polyphony Digital a little appreciation here.

I also want to say thanks for such a great game, I can now drive fast without getting any tickets, thank you Kazunori,
it is a work of art:tup:

urunatural
I also want to say thanks for such a great game, I can now drive fast without getting any tickets, thank you Kazunori,
it is a work of art:tup:

On that note, I can crash an expensive can and not get hurt and screw up a nice car.

It's disturbing how many complainers there are in that other thread. This thread was 3 pages back. It wouldn't be like this if we were in Cuba or N KOREA or a site with not as much hating going on.

People are entitled to their own opinions. I just feel in the minority that I am pleased with certain aspects of GT5 Spec 2.0 while many others just feel terribly disappointed. Opinions are opinions. Still, I'm pretty okay with many of the different changes and updates.

GT5 must be a dog that can't learn any new tricks to some people. Either that, or GT5 disappoints so bad that there's no way to save it anymore. Almost as if people think PD should give up trying to improve GT5 and work on GT6- no hope/merit/purpose to improve GT5. Like their failed miserably and should just move on. There's ALWAYS room for improvement. Even right now, I'm racing certain Standard cars to see what all has changed on the interior front. I could basically imagine what each interior view COULD be like as I use each Standard car. Even if just for Standard interior views, I have some new reason to play GT5 while also better enjoying the Standard cars.

That's what puzzles me. I spent a nearly a whole year without these changes that came in Spec 2. Eight out of the fifteen "listed" changes were ones I've been waiting for since GT5 released. Something as simple as Visible Damage OFF took a year (unlisted) to implement and was something I could have really used so I could take pictures wayyyy later on in a Time Trial which we didn't even have Fast-forward. Music ONLINE, I've been waiting for. Change time and weather effects offline.

I could go on, ESPECIALLY with the unlisted changes. I'm one of the most defensive fanboys when it comes to people claiming they know what PD should be doing. First of all, some of those people will need to learn Japanese, and then, they'd have to get Sony to let them make a game that really was unheard of and work on it for five years with fourteen other people.

After gaining their trust to work on a risky project for five years and well before the PS1 even released, that person has to keep the series running for 14 years after the first game was released. Not only that, but he keeps the series running with cars that most people never heard of at the time because the cars aren't from the majority of the fanbase's home countries. All the while, they'll be making a name for themselves like Kaz has. They have to stay sane like Kaz has. Also, they'll have to work constantly on the same project for those 19 years. Oh I forgot, you have to have started learning programming video games in middle school. He's an old school gamer.

If they can do that and have their game be PlayStation's flagship title, I will defend them because they don't deserve the constant negative feedback (it's not even feedback, I just don't have another way of describing the ignorance some people like arguing with).

I don't mean to generalize/stereotype people, but when it's "called" for, I just don't care.
I can, honestly, admit that I've been wrong on more than one occasion when calling people out, but at least, I do have the marbles to fess up.

Oh and GO CLOVERS!

Now I love GT especially the community surrounding the game. I can't believe how much stuff people come up with in this game to do with it. Try to actually sift through this forum and you will find entertaining things people are doing with the game. The one thing I am tired of is the complaint threads. Gt5 has problems and a lot of stuff I desire still falls out of the reach of the series but this much crap? I hate how people talk about other games like they are perfect and GT needs to be more like them. Forza has just as many if not more issues with it. Have you guys seen the nurburgring in that game? It is an absolute joke.

All respect to PD though for actually making updates such as this. You can easily see that it was very community influenced. And the ridiculous amount of support we have gotten FOR FREE means a lot. I feel like the $60 I spent was a membership to an exclusive club rather then a game. All thanks.

Thank you PD & Kaz. Our expectations were high and for the most part were meet by your team. We look forward to the future and all that may come with it as our community grows. Thank You.

Thank you so much Kaz and PD!!!
It did take some time but these things don't just come within the first week. I can't wait for future updates, DLC and games from the PD team and hopefully I will be racing on an Aussie track in one of your games soon :sly:.

When it came out i was sceptical and not at all impressed by the features.

Now though i'm much more satisfied.
It's still not a complete game but it's getting closer.
Watching this game evolve since it's release makes me think how far from a finished product GT5 really was at launch. Kaz must really have been pressured to release.

I love the new shuffle races.
I think the new login bonus is great (B-spec really became interesting)
I think it's wonderful how some cars have gotten new soundtracks, which leads me to think even more cars will have upgraded sound in the future (Please fix the McLaren F1)
The new reduced drag strength really makes racing a lot more realistic.

Last edited:
Something I noticed yesterday using a GT500 NSX online, srf off, damage set to weak, someone crashed in my front slightly before the second last corner at Laguna right after corkscrew and I thought I could get that right hand corner just fine, even with a lightly damaged suspension, but nooo, to my surprise, I went just straight thru the sandpits only stopped by the wall just like you see on TV all the time. There was absolutely nothing I could do, it really felt realistic, thats something I always wanted to have in Gran Turismo! It was annoying and fascinating at the same time, definite improvement. 👍

albteman015
Now I love GT especially the community surrounding the game.

It is quite amazing. 99% percent of the people on there share a passion for cars in some way shape or form. Not once have I met the disrespectful people I would expect to find on Call of Duty.

Also, people just don't intentionally crash you in GT5 online like in other racing. (*Cough* Codemasters games.)

I've never seen another console game receive as much support as GT5 has had from Polyphony Digital . To me that says they do care a fair deal about what they've created . That apparent pride in craftsmanship has always impressed me . I just like their style . GT5 is far from perfect and won't please everyone completely . But it is undoubtedly my favorite PS3 racing game . The new standard cockpits and gameplay of 2.0 have added many hours of fun . So all n all if P.D. keep up the good work, I will keep supporting them the best way I can ( buying their games ). Happy driving

Thanks PD and Kaz, I've had a chance to thoroughly "test drive" the update and I have to say its really good, especially the new physics!

£40 and a year down the line, Im still playing. GT5 has been taken out of the disk drive about 5 times tops and probably 3 of those was to play a DVD.

Great physics improved even more by 2.0 + nice Graphics + great immersion + amazing online racing with clean fair racers = GT5

This isnt just a game/simulator this is a love affair

Thanks for making it feel real PD

Oh and thanks especially for my Caterham Cockpit view, it rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching this game evolve since it's release makes me think how far from a finished product GT5 really was at launch. Kaz must really have been pressured to release.
Since you have so few posts, you must have missed all the drama over the past few years. Back in 2009, members here were getting really cranky. When E3 came around and Kaz took the stage, and held up that PSP Go in the GT PSP announcement, we were crushed, and only slightly heartened by a big GT5 movie at the end. After that, there was a clamor for Polyphony to just wrap up what work they had and release GT5, and patch in new stuff later. And this demand only grew as the weeks passed, getting bigger and louder, and bigger...

So they did, and many people who were shouting for them to do this very thing are complaining about it. ;)

Some things even I grouched about, but given the choice of having GT5 or not, I'd ask them to release it just as they had. As bigbear says, PD could just give us Seasonals and a leaderboard and call it good so they could work on GT6. In most ways, this is what T10 does with Forza. When Forza 2 caused crashing when you scrolled a little too far into a big garage, or through the Auction House, one of the T10 team came on the boards with their solution: Don't scroll. :indiff:

Some people demand the moon for pennies these days, but I'm glad that some of us can see the heart and soul poured into this game, and which is still being polished like a rough diamond. I think PantalonUK says it best.

This isnt just a game/simulator this is a love affair.

GT 5 is very good game and stands in comparison to other console or pc games. Thank you PD for almost a year of good gaming expirience and still continuing to support your fans.

I appreciate finally being able to drive with ABS @0, with my Logitech G25, & using weight transfer cornering techniques that finally work in those hard to win Online Shuffle races!

I also somewhat appreciate all the new Spec 2.0 bugs, for it means we will have yet more needed updates!

edit: I also appreciate the new Nissan GT-R 2011 Kaz dropped on us, this car absolutely destroys the R8 LMS, CLK, GTR, LFA, XYZ; throw anything at it next to me on the Nur, and eat my dust!

I appreciate that tomorrow is our first DLC day! Give us one every two months, at least! Shut me up and take my money already!

Last edited:
lol Lambob, you know it. It would be a shame if Spec 2 were the last hoorah of feature adding updates. I still think somethings missing, besides content.

What shocks me the most, is that this thread has under 90 posts.

the other one, however, (the disappointment thread), has well over 600...

Awesome game in all aspects. When I go to bed after playing you could not believe such a big smile on my face, every time. I do not mind lose sleep hours, really, I do not mind.

What shocks me the most, is that this thread has under 90 posts.

the other one, however, (the disappointment thread), has well over 600...

Well that's probably due to the fact that the members who do enjoy the game play it, while the disappointed crowd usually log on to voice their disappointment.

Latest Posts

Back