GT5 Tuner: A QuickTune and Setup Recorder for Android

• Thread starter RDAardvark
  • 462 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also discovered it is possible to create a new car set called 'Built-in'. Please don't try this at home folks, as it confuses the app completely! I'll fix this in the next release.

If any of you find that the app displays information in an oddly-formatted way, please let me know. If possible, screen-shots or a good description of the screen would be a great help.

On HTC Incredible, the app crashes when loading up a saved tune.

Does this happen with just one tune in particular, all the tunes for a particular car or every tune you have?

Have you just upgraded the app or was this a clean install? If you upgraded it, which version were you running before?

If possible, could you send me a PM and upload your file here for me please? [On the upload page, you only need to specify a name: Please use your GTPlanet user name]

Last edited:
Version 0.81.37 is now available

This version brings:
  1. Fix: Stop creation of a new car set called 'Built-in'.
  2. Change: Improved screen layouts for 'large' screen devices.

Please let me know of any problems, quirks, issues you may find.

Dave: Fetch your hammer!

RDAardvark

This version brings:

[*]Fix: Stop creation of a new car set called 'Built-in'.
[*]Change: Improved screen layouts for 'large' screen devices.

Lol. Tap tap tap.

Haven't seen any issues so far Steve, but give me time :D

I must confess I've been busy testing my gt86 and haven't been hammering the app as I should.

Edit:

Already found something is it Steve? as I noticed the version is now .38?

Last edited:
RDAardvark

This version brings:

[*]Fix: Stop creation of a new car set called 'Built-in'.
[*]Change: Improved screen layouts for 'large' screen devices.

Hmmm... I hope you don't mind, that I also have fetched my hammer ;)

I must start by admitting, that I haven't been able to identify, where the improvements has been put, if also valid for my 10" tablet?
But I have noticed, that on my tablet, most of the 'Set' and 'OK'-buttons in value-dialog screens are cut off from below... This was also found in the previous release, so it is not a newly introduced issue with latest version.
And be aware, that on my small device, the buttons are just fine.

Not seen earlier, is that the 'Load Tune'-box is scewed to the left inside the frame on the screen. Again, only seen on the tablet, and is OK on the small screen. (Screenshot can be provided, as usual, if needed) :)

And then I have found a crash-error... If you save a tune with the default name 'generic', the app crashes on attempt to load it again...

Last edited:
Hmmm... I hope you don't mind, that I also have fetched my hammer ;)

I must start by admitting, that I haven't been able to identify, where the improvements has been put, if also valid for my 10" tablet?
But I have noticed, that on my tablet, most of the 'Set' and 'OK'-buttons in value-dialog screens are cut off from below... This was also found in the previous release, so it is not a newly introduced issue with latest version.
And be aware, that on my small device, the buttons are just fine.

Not seen earlier, is that the 'Load Tune'-box is scewed to the left inside the frame on the screen. Again, only seen on the tablet, and is OK on the small screen. (Screenshot can be provided, as usual, if needed) :)

And then I have found a crash-error... If you save a tune with the default name 'generic', the app crashes on attempt to load it again...

Thanks for the feedback Mikael.

The screen layout improvements are for 'large' screen devices - Your tablet is designated as an 'xlarge' device, so you won't notice any changes. However, are there any of the screens that look weird or unduly small on your device?

With the 'value' dialogs, this was something I did fix (honestly) and then clumsily broke again. Same with the load/delete a tune screen being left aligned.

Version 0.81.40 is available for download and contains the fixes above.

However, I simply cannot reproduce the problem when loading a tune called 'generic' or 'Generic'. Is this for a particular car or does it happen no matter what car you are working on? Have you generated a tune with the QuickTune function? If so, which version? Have you generated gears? Added anything to the 'Misc' screen? I'm at a loss here, so any help you can provide to help me reproduce the problem will be gratefully received.

.... However, I simply cannot reproduce the problem when loading a tune called 'generic' or 'Generic'.

Hi Steve.. (sorry for lack of details.. was too late after my bedtime.. :P)

Did a few more tests, and it appears that it is only when saving with a quicktune based on version 1.. The car-choice doesn't seem to influence, but the issue was present on both the Alfa TZ2 (loaded from car-set), and the first chevy in the default 'built-in'.
It was just a default quicktune version 1, no settings was altered, and no transmission-calc was done...

Hi Steve.. (sorry for lack of details.. was too late after my bedtime.. :P)

Did a few more tests, and it appears that it is only when saving with a quicktune based on version 1.. The car-choice doesn't seem to influence, but the issue was present on both the Alfa TZ2 (loaded from car-set), and the first chevy in the default 'built-in'.
It was just a default quicktune version 1, no settings was altered, and no transmission-calc was done...

Many thanks for nailing this down Mikael. This will hopefully be the root of GuitarHack's problem as well, as I cannot recreate the problem using Quicktune version 2 or 3. It only occurs when using QuickTune version 1.

I've identified the problem in the code and have corrected it. However the app crashes because there is a value missing in the tune file on your device: I've written some code to correct this and am currently testing this.

Version 0.81.55 is now available

This includes:
  1. Fix: Tunes generated with QuickTune v1 would crash the app when reloaded
  2. Fix: Layout of User Settings screen on xLarge screen devices was cutting off the drop down boxes.
  3. Fix: On the Tune screen, max Aero values now changed to 150 and 200
  4. Change: Disable Gear calc if drivetrain invalid or torque 0

Please backup your Tunes file before upgrading to this version as it contains a process which aims to fix any tunes affected by problem 1 above.

RDAardvark
Just as a wee update, I've put the app onto Android Market.

Sincere congrats with this move...! :cheers:
Now you have gone public :D

Uninstalled my current version, just to be able to download it from the market, to get the download-counter above zero...
But it didn't changed the counter... yet...

Also left a review-report (in danish), and gave it 5 stars in rating 👍

Thanks! Glad to hear it works for you and you find it useful.

Just as a wee update, I've put the app onto Android Market.

👍👍

Congrats to you Steve (and big thanks to Opplock for his spreadsheet tom foolery and of course the Rabbid one for his templates)

I too downloaded from the market to jumpstart that counter. I'm assuming people are being directed to this forum to gain access to the .sets (maybe a hint in the description would help this process, rather than getting the "how do I download the sets" type of questions)

Now all updates will flow through the market too eh?

How you been anyways, I've been getting good sleep on Sunday mornings now :lol:

Thanks guys: The counters seems to be updated once a day. I really wish I'd done this earlier. I now get stats on what version of Android the app has been installed on, and general info on where in the world it is being installed. Really interesting.

But the most useful feature is that errors are reported to me. One person managed to get the app to crash and I got detailed info on this. What's more, the info pinpoints the function where the app crashed so I've already had a look and realised a shortcoming. So, once I've done some testing, an update will be winging its way around the world.

We've just passed 1000 installs! This is fantastic.

If you have installed it, do leave feedback in the Market (now called Google Play) or on here.

Likewise, any problems or suggestions, please post them on here or email me via the link in Google Play.

Version 0.81.80 is now available

The updated version is in Google Play (formerly Android Market). If you have already installed the app from there, you should get prompted about updating it.

Just some minor changes: There are some cars in the game which only have 1 gear (Nissan Leaf, Karts) and one with two gears, so I've changed the app to allow for this. I also beefed up the data integrity checks when loading a car from a car set.

Something I was asked about was an option to export a tune so that it could be emailed: This raises a problem if the recipient doesn't have the car in their database or it is in there but under a slightly different name. I'd also like to be able to show a tune on the screen so the data could be copied to the clipboard and then pasted to a web page. Handy for WRS time trials!

I've also added some new car sets - There are two DLC packs and a whole bunch of miscellaneous cars bundled into a 'New Cars - March 2012' set. Thanks go to RabbidMaggot for this data.

I just downloaded the update, great app and thanks for putting it up! I can confirm that it works on the Toshiba Thrive tablet.

One suggestion: how about a landscape version? I use my tablet mostly landscape but your app is portrait only... also, how about showing a gear chart much like in GT5 on the transmission tune?

TOXTAS
hi, what's the unlock code?
Thanks

Unlock-code...?
There shouldn't be a need for a code... Where do you get prompted for such code?
The app do work right after installation from the market (Google Play).

I just downloaded the update, great app and thanks for putting it up! I can confirm that it works on the Toshiba Thrive tablet.

One suggestion: how about a landscape version? I use my tablet mostly landscape but your app is portrait only... also, how about showing a gear chart much like in GT5 on the transmission tune?

Thanks for the feedback and it's really good to hear that you like the app, find it useful and that it works properly on your tablet.

The app, from the outset, was developed for phones hence it is locked in to portrait mode. Making it work in both portrait and landscape would mean huge rewrites of code and screen layouts, which I simply don't have the time for.

Gear chart? I did think that that the transmission settings screen did reflect the transmission settings in GT5. Can you explain further please or perhaps send me a sketch of what you mean please?

RDAardvark
Thanks for the feedback and it's really good to hear that you like the app, find it useful and that it works properly on your tablet.

The app, from the outset, was developed for phones hence it is locked in to portrait mode. Making it work in both portrait and landscape would mean huge rewrites of code and screen layouts, which I simply don't have the time for.

Gear chart? I did think that that the transmission settings screen did reflect the transmission settings in GT5. Can you explain further please or perhaps send me a sketch of what you mean please?

Gday Steve,
Long time no speak. It seems you're getting google famous !!

I think the idea sam is going for is to show an image like in gt5 :dunce: Bit of a challenge I'll bet.

Version 0.81.257 is now available

This version brings:
  • Fix crash when changing cars
  • Some layout improvements
  • New experimental tune import/export feature.

New Feature:
You can now import and export your tunes, via copy and paste, enabling you to quickly post a tune on a forum or grab one from a forum or email.

When you save or load a tune, it will be copied to the clipboard, ready for pasting into an email or a forum post.

If you want to import a tune, select 'Import Tune' from the File menu on the Tune screen.

Please be aware this function is experimental and may not be able to understand data you give it. It also expects data to be in the order that it is in Gran Turismo, namely Ride Height comes first, then spring rates, damper settings, etc. It looks for either spaces or / to separate values.

Try it out and see how it works for you. If it doesn't quite work, send me the tune and I'll see if I can adapt the app to read it.

Last edited:
This is a nice little app. It works with my crappy LG Optimus One. Is there any way I can move to my SD card?

kjb
This is a nice little app. It works with my crappy LG Optimus One. Is there any way I can move to my SD card?

Hi. I'm very glad to hear that you like the app and find it useful.
It should automatically install on your SD card if you have Android 2.2 or above. Almost all the data files are held on the SD card (apart from the 'Built-in' car set) so you should find the app has a small footprint.

I am having problems getting the tunes that are available for download to work properly more than anything else.. But I think it is more or less something with my phone

kjb
I am having problems getting the tunes that are available for download to work properly more than anything else.. But I think it is more or less something with my phone

Are you able to download one of the zip files and then extract it? All the '.set' files should be placed in the 'GT5Tuner' folder on your SD card. The app will then be able to pick them and you will be able to load the cars. PM me if you are still having problems.

The Samsung Galaxy Note has been giving me some trouble - It has a large high-density screen but doesn't fit any of the standard screen layouts.

I *think* I've solved this now with version 0.81.271. As I don't have a Note, I've been relying on the emulator to help me with this one. If anyone does have a Note, please let me know if the new version works for you.

All feedback is greatly appreciated. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back