GT5 vs iRacing

• Thread starter Uscbryan
  • 108 comments
Usc_trojan949
I signed up for iRacing this weekend. They had a 2 months free trial. To be fair I hadn't had a chance to really get into it. I took a couple of the cars they give you for a test drive and I don't get it. The graphics are stone age compared to GT5 and on some of those oval tracks I didn't even know which way I was going or if I was even going the right way. Now I am sure there is more to it because of the popularity and maybe it is a physics thing not a graphics thing. Can anybody out there that plays both let me know the attraction to iRacing as compared to GT5? Maybe I am missing something.

I'd say you're missing quite a bit.

And that was my assumption but as much as I appreciate the time it took you to respond I am still left wondering what it is I am missing compared to GT5. Is it physics? Online play? Maybe it's just once you advance it gets better?

Added a video to my original response.

Physics make GT5 look like a "game." Online play is what iRacing is built around - there is quite literally no AI.

I guess GT5 has me spoiled with the vibrant colors and details. I did watch the video and it's just so bland compared to GT5. Maybe it is how it is supposed to be and GT5 kind of exaggerates things.

iRacing isn't about graphics from what I can tell. A friend of mine uses it and it was good enough to teach him the Road Atlanta circuit when he went there for a driving school. I haven't had a go with it yet, but he raves about it (as well as GT5).

Also, Top Gear UK sent an iRacing legend (I forget his name) to Road Atlanta and put him in a race car for the first time in his life and was able to put down times only 3 seconds slower than a professional. This was his first time ever on a track or in a race car, period.

Racing games are not always about graphics. Its not until the current ADD generation that all this crazy HDR blooming effect in racing game become popular. Its funny if you read about the simulator(like the actual simulator with motion platform and all) used by F1 teams and car manufacturers, they all mention that the graphics are sub-par compare to the popular games, but its the simulation aspect that stands out. You stick a real race car driver in them and they won't say the graphic is poor, but if the driver input and the resulting feedback feels off, they'll definitely notice and say something about it...

Btw what are the system requirement for iRacing...if there is a free trial I might give that a go...

PC racing is split into 2 categories.

You have the console ports like F1, Dirt and NFS, which look nice when upscaled but aren't really on the cutting edge of PC graphics and have 'game' physics.

Then you have the sims (iracing, LFS, rFactor) who's resources are limited next to a big game publisher and don't have 6 months worth of man hours to model each car but instead focus on the physics and multiplayer because that's what the customers are more worried about.

iRacing isn't about graphics from what I can tell. A friend of mine uses it and it was good enough to teach him the Road Atlanta circuit when he went there for a driving school. I haven't had a go with it yet, but he raves about it (as well as GT5).

Also, Top Gear UK sent an iRacing legend (I forget his name) to Road Atlanta and put him in a race car for the first time in his life and was able to put down times only 3 seconds slower than a professional. This was his first time ever on a track or in a race car, period.

But didn't GT do the same thing with one of their contests?

Racing games are not always about graphics. Its not until the current ADD generation that all this crazy HDR blooming effect in racing game become popular. Its funny if you read about the simulator(like the actual simulator with motion platform and all) used by F1 teams and car manufacturers, they all mention that the graphics are sub-par compare to the popular games, but its the simulation aspect that stands out. You stick a real race car driver in them and they won't say the graphic is poor, but if the driver input and the resulting feedback feels off, they'll definitely notice and say something about it...

Btw what are the system requirement for iRacing...if there is a free trial I might give that a go...

I'm just using my Sony Vaio notebook and it seems to work. It's only a few years old and one of their top of the line with bluray in it so I guess the video card is good enough. It has an hdmi port so I plug it into my TV and plug my fanatec wheel and pedals into the USB ports and it seems to work ok. I have only been on the track by myself so it may be different once there are other cars out there but it says I am getting a 50fps. You can control the quality of the graphics and shut shadows and things off to get a better fps.

I guess I may as well give it a try. I'm just not a fan of driving in circles but I gotta do it to advance in iRacing.

But didn't GT do the same thing with one of their contests?
Yes, but iRacing is strictly focused on the simulation, more realistic setup section, real life race rules, race flags.. better online racing.. things like that. GT5 in other hand has WAY more cars and licences, i hope Pd will add real life race rules one day, as well as race flags.

iracing isn't about graphics or community. It's not a "game" at all. It's all about the physics and I'd bet the cars that they you start off with are probably too slow to really judge their physics model. Imagine trying to understand GT's physics while driving Civic. You'd get the idea, but when you get into the faster cars, you really get a feel for it.

I'm just using my Sony Vaio notebook and it seems to work. It's only a few years old and one of their top of the line with bluray in it so I guess the video card is good enough. It has an hdmi port so I plug it into my TV and plug my fanatec wheel and pedals into the USB ports and it seems to work ok. I have only been on the track by myself so it may be different once there are other cars out there but it says I am getting a 50fps. You can control the quality of the graphics and shut shadows and things off to get a better fps.

I guess I may as well give it a try. I'm just not a fan of driving in circles but I gotta do it to advance in iRacing.

You dont HAVE to drive round in circles to advance in iRacing, just do circuit racing..

i use iracing...it is a training tool for serious race drivers and sim lovers. realistically gt5 is not a sim, its an arcade game with relatively decent physics. Iracing is all about the immersion, the feel of the car, realistic feelings of what happens when a driver is not smooth.

I race cars in real life (latemodel and skipbarber) so i use it as a way to prepare for real racing. Gt5 is for leisure

Ok I can tell A difference in the physics. Just did the south Boston time trial in he legends car and I can feel the difference. Boring as heck but I guess I have to earn my way up. I can see how it can make me a better driver than GT5. But GT5 is just so pretty! Lol

I signed up for iRacing this weekend. They had a 2 months free trial. To be fair I hadn't had a chance to really get into it. I took a couple of the cars they give you for a test drive and I don't get it. The graphics are stone age compared to GT5 and on some of those oval tracks I didn't even know which way I was going or if I was even going the right way. Now I am sure there is more to it because of the popularity and maybe it is a physics thing not a graphics thing. Can anybody out there that plays both let me know the attraction to iRacing as compared to GT5? Maybe I am missing something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAq_IFh2HS4&feature=player_embedded
watch this. it is a full on race sim with full tuning and even live streaming for the important race comps. And also Netkar Pro is a better sim and graphics are better also but is not as popular at this stage. Rfactor 2 is the one im waiting for.

Last edited:
The graphics are stone age compared to GT5
I'm just using my Sony Vaio notebook...I guess the video card is good enough...it says I am getting a 50fps. You can control the quality of the graphics and shut shadows and things off to get a better fps.
So you're saying a game with a massive budget and ~5 years of dedicated polishing, with the explicit goal of creating the best-looking driving experience yet, on a modern multi-core console optimized to squeeze the most performance it can out of each of its components (which are standardized on every unit)...looks better than a nearly-two-and-a-half-year-old PC sim focused primarily on physics simulation running on an old Vaio notebook, ostensibly with graphics features turned down or off, with the image blown up onto a TV?

What a surprise.

on some of those oval tracks I didn't even know which way I was going or if I was even going the right way.
If you can't find any in-game indicators, everyone who makes fun of oval racing mocks the "endless left turns," you know.

Can anybody out there that plays both let me know the attraction to iRacing as compared to GT5? Maybe I am missing something.
I think I can answer, even having never played the game:
  1. Physics
  2. Physics
  3. Rules, details, and nuances of a real-world racing experience Gran Turismo completely glosses over
  4. Physics
  5. An online community of some of the hardest-core, cleanest drivers you'll ever meet through a phone line/cable
  6. Physics

bull!

It's true.

He'd never been in a race car before, never been over 100mph, doesnt own a driving license.

Oh, and he drove a Formula Mazda. (!)

Last edited:
^^^wolfe has it right. its clean, intense, hardcore online racing that youll never get on gt5. There is an actual sporting code that is adhered to, and therefore there is a low amount of intentional wrecking and other shananigans. People have a respect for the sim and what it does. The community is awesome, lots of people willing to help, and a true group of die hard race fans. Awesome events that mock real world series, 120 minutes of Sebring is one that comes to mind. The racing is incredible and the cars, once later on in the sim, are intense fun. Corvette c6r...nationwide car...COT car (one that actually drives like a NASCAR, and countless other sports cars, short track cars, formula cars.

I personally think iracing has alot better physics, tracks and most races are very clean and intense, but i find it gets really boring really quickly, where gt5 keeps me playing because it has alot more variety (and i dont have to play on a laptop screen).

Me round limerock, optimal is .9:)

The difference? The physics, the competition, and overall driving standard.

It's an actual RACING sim, with people who are not only fast but understands the art of racing, go luck finding that on GT5. To win a race on Iracing, even in the rookie series, you are often facing drivers that would be considered the top 1% in GT5.

I see people are comparing graphics and fun factor, but pc racing sims are not games, they are platform for competitive online racing, and everything is designed around that, with physics and usability first, the bell and whistles isn't important.

Last edited:
I don't know that the driving standard/competition is something you can count as a positive over gt5. If iRacing only cost $60 with no monthly sub and was open to play to anyone old enough to hold a controller, you would run into the same problems as gt5. The physics however are something else.

Those videos of iRacing also showcase something I wish there was more of in gt5, variety. Old formula cars, truck series racing, etc, maybe in future gt's.

Back