GT5P at the British Motor Show

• Thread starter MazdaZXi
  • 66 comments
You have to stay in 2nd for the entire track! It's a rolling start from the checquered line, the timer starts from the solid line. I basically booted it in first and then changed to 2nd at the very last second as I crossed the solid line. You also get marked on your 'mechanical sympathy' or something. I scored a 3 because my braking in the Mazda2 before the hairpin corner was 'too harsh' :lol: He also didn't like the fact that I refused to brake for the long sweeping bend.

Hmmmm I can see why they want mechanical sympathy, letting hundreds of lunatics over the couple of weeks drive your cars isn't going to be the best life a car can have, but at the same time it looks like getting a good time is more down to luck than skill... your comment about not slowing for a bend seems odd, like someone who took the corners slower than you might still win with a slower time or something.

What were the MX5 and 2 like to drive then? I'm really looking forward to the 2, and I've driven the first-gen MX5 before on a circuit which was great fun.

best time was 23 seconds in the Mazda2, and 25 seconds in the MX5. God knows why my MX5 lap was slower!

I said the 2 would be quicker! You're probably inclined to push a little harder in FWD, plus it'll probably be more nimble.

How many laps do you get in each?

I said the 2 would be quicker! You're probably inclined to push a little harder in FWD, plus it'll probably be more nimble.

How many laps do you get in each?

Yeah I'd never driven a RWD car before the MX5 so I was being a bit timid with it really, whereas the 2 I just pushed it a bit harder. It did seem more nimble too, because it was a very tight and windy track.

I got 1 practice lap in the MX5 (with the roof down in the sun :) ) and then a timed lap in it, then swapped to do a timed lap in the 2. My friend got 2 laps in the Mazda2 and 1 in the MX5, it's all down to the luck of the instructor you get.

Yeah I'd never driven a RWD car before the MX5 so I was being a bit timid with it really, whereas the 2 I just pushed it a bit harder. It did seem more nimble too, because it was a very tight and windy track.

I got 1 practice lap in the MX5 (with the roof down in the sun :) ) and then a timed lap in it, then swapped to do a timed lap in the 2. My friend got 2 laps in the Mazda2 and 1 in the MX5, it's all down to the luck of the instructor you get.

What time during the day did you go to do the thing? I'm wondering if me and my friends will be waiting in a huge queue or whether it isn't too bad?

I started queueing at 3.45pm and got in the cars at 4.20ish. Earlier on in the day it was much busier though. It's difficult to say if the queues for you will be the same because today was a preview day and wasn't a weekend day either!

Ah right, good call on going on the preview day. If circumstances had been right I would have done the same. I'm not going on a weekend though (thank God), I'm going midweek which should hopefully be relatively empty (though I'm not holding my breath). That wait doesn't seem too bad but again I'll be prepared for the worst...

*taps foot*

And what, exactly, is wrong with chase cam?

"Well, with gt5p I don't know to be honest. I've yet to try it... I was just wondering. :)

But as I have driven the chase cam a lot earlier, I can say this:

-bumber view made me faster
-it looks ridicilous to me, just like driving with a rc car
-I have better feeling for the car with bumber
-doesn't feel as much as driving a car to me
-my dad uses it <--that's the main reason :lol:
-who drives with a wheel+chase?? ..if so, I give very much credit to those :bowdown:!! 👍 ..I just can't see how I could be competitive like that..

+it looks great
+you can see the outside of the car much better!
+an unexperienced driver could be faster with it, as you see the track etc better (that could be it!!)
+pad suits it very well
+an experienced driver could be nearly as fast with it as with the bumber/interior

Just my opinion..."
👍

Ok might be a stupid question but what track is this?...

img0269up7.jpg

Well, with gt5p I don't know to be honest. I've yet to try it... I was just wondering. :)

But as I have driven the chase cam a lot earlier, I can say this:

-bumber view made me faster
-it looks ridicilous to me, just like driving with a rc car
-I have better feeling for the car with bumber
-doesn't feel as much as driving a car to me
-my dad uses it <--that's the main reason :lol:
-who drives with a wheel+chase?? ..if so, I give very much credit to those :bowdown:!! 👍 ..I just can't see how I could be competitive like that..

+it looks great
+you can see the outside of the car much better!
+an unexperienced driver could be faster with it, as you see the track etc better (that could be it!!)
+pad suits it very well
+an experienced driver could be nearly as fast with it as with the bumber/interior

Just my opinion...
👍

Pad suits it very well? I think not! But we're all different. I always race with a pad (yes i know...) and i always use the bumper cam. Otherwise it is exactly as you say.. like driving an RC car... How can i simulate being in a car when i see the car before me? :dunce:

*taps foot*

And what, exactly, is wrong with chase cam?
Only noobs use it. :D (runs away and hides under rock)

Seriously: nothing is wrong with it, I used to drive it all the time, because it gives good overview of the track, your surroundings and ofcourse the beautiful modeling of the car. 👍 I switched to bumper cam though, much more sense of speed and feel for what's happening (under/oversteer). I use the rear mirror and my 5.1 surround set to determine if any cars are in my vicinity.

I honestly can't stand the chase cam. I just don't get the feeling of speed and danger from the chase cam....not to mention I've never been good at it.

So yes, props to anyone who can drive with it!

I honestly can't stand the chase cam. I just don't get the feeling of speed and danger from the chase cam....not to mention I've never been good at it.

So yes, props to anyone who can drive with it!

I can only drive with it, although i've just started to adopt cockpit cam now i'm using a wheel (in a different game)

You have to stay in 2nd for the entire track! It's a rolling start from the checquered line, the timer starts from the solid line. I basically booted it in first and then changed to 2nd at the very last second as I crossed the solid line. You also get marked on your 'mechanical sympathy' or something. I scored a 3 because my braking in the Mazda2 before the hairpin corner was 'too harsh' :lol:

My best time was 23 seconds in the Mazda2, and 25 seconds in the MX5. God knows why my MX5 lap was slower!

Just read an Autocar magazine today, it says apparently the prize winner won't necessarily be the fastest driver, but the "best", which takes into account speed, smoothness and mechanical sympathy like you said. I know what to aim for now :D

I see blur on the buttom picture

More likely to be from the shutter speed of the camera 👍

Aw, cmon, you have to be 21 to drive the MX5/M2? I was hoping to do that :( Wonder if they'll make an exception for an 18 year old IAM member... ;)

Just read an Autocar magazine today, it says apparently the prize winner won't necessarily be the fastest driver, but the "best", which takes into account speed, smoothness and mechanical sympathy like you said.

Yeah, you get told what you will be marked on in the briefing beforehand. The last thing they mark you on is your 'zoom zoom attitude' :indiff:

Those guys who work in PD are really lucky, I think they get to see the new car before the manufacturers officially release the images. No way they can model a new car less than a week. Maybe they have already seen the new NSX.

It is, but you get a 10 second penalty if you cross the start line without being i 2nd gear, or if you touch any of the white lines near the edges of the track. Which are the where the racing line is....

Anyway here is that picture I took
DSC_0074.jpg

I don't see any jaggies

Those guys who work in PD are really lucky, I think they get to see the new car before the manufacturers officially release the images. No way they can model a new car less than a week. Maybe they have already seen the new NSX.

Of course, they would know the cars in fine detail well before the public even gets to see first official pictures of them.

Oh and thanks to the guys who took and displayed the screenies of the new Lotus 👍

*looks at large trophy*

I can only drive with it, although i've just started to adopt cockpit cam now i'm using a wheel (in a different game)

I find I prefer cockpit with wheel, but coptercam with the pad. I can't abide bumpercam or roofcam, so GT5P is a bit of a godsend for my wheel use.

Speaking of trophies, do we get you at the Normous? We're only 90 minutes away, door-to-door...

Speaking of trophies, do we get you at the Normous? We're only 90 minutes away, door-to-door...

If the Normous is what i think it is, i've not yet seen a thread on it for dates etc.

Quite :D

If the Normous is what i think it is, i've not yet seen a thread on it for dates etc.

Venari posted one up in the Local Gatherings forum. Same dates as usual - weekend at the ass-end of October - but at my house this time (not the same one as UKGTP4).

Anyway, to swing wildly back on topic, I think I have free weekday tickets to the Motor Show and we may attend on Tuesday. Phear the MX-5 owners at the MX-5 driving challenge...

I hate even the thought of using chase cams. If I would use it it would feel like I drive the car with My hand and not from within the car where I can "feel" it best. I use the bamp cam because it gives me the feeling that I am driving as I myself and not remotely.

I have to agree it just doesn't feel right when using the chase cam. I prefer bumper cam as it feel faster and doesn't have the distractions and blindspots of the cockpit view.

I'm using DualShock3 till I can afford a G25. and I must say I hate Chase cam. it seems very delayed to the controller and lower FPS.
I always use Bumper cam and Cockpit for cruising.

I love the Evora. thanks for the shots!

I'm using DualShock3 till I can afford a G25. and I must say I hate Chase cam. it seems very delayed to the controller and lower FPS.
I always use Bumper cam and Cockpit for cruising.

I love the Evora. thanks for the shots!

And yet it's still the best way to enjoy the cars aesthetics ,I love looking at the F430 back while driving !

Back