GT5P, Clarkson style

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 185 comments
Australia
Australia
For those who don't know, Jeremy Clarkson is a car journalist and pretty much describes what he's thinking when he drives a car.

Have you ever felt the need to express your thoughts on a car's looks, price, noise and performance? send 'em in here

Tell us what characteristics you like/dislike about a specific car/s

Last edited:
I'll start off

with s3 tyres all round

R35 GTR
When I drive this car, I find the sensation of speed is gone. Yes, it does bring up some impressive lap times without trying but I never get a real sense of joy out of it, and if you push it too hard (which you never can tell) you get understeer, which is a big no no. And on top of that, when you rev it really high and anticipate a really satisfying gear change noise, it just comes up with a really boring (but fast) change of tones. This may just effect me but a really good engine noise makes me drive faster. This car is more of a staple than an accessory in GT5P. It costs under 80000cr and you're almost always going to win if you use it, but honestly, I get more joy when I watch it on a replay - It looks great in black.

Hi.. I'm a newbie here. And please forgive me if my english is bad, because I come from the country with different language.

R35 GTR

Fortunately, I've driven R35 GTR in real life too. As far as I can feel, the car that was built together with Gran Turismo team give tremendous amount of fun for the driver behind the wheel. But the real fun of this car is something that you can not find in GT5P, it's the G-Force sensation. When you slam the gas pedal - no matter in what gear you're in, the car suddenly make your back push the seat real hard. And you will immediately notice all things beside you go blurr.

But unlike Ferrari that has beautiful engine note, the 6 cylinder twin turbo unit of GTR doesn't make a unique sound. And the 4WD system, although it makes grip superbly, give a boring feeling when driving it on the game.

I will not make GTR my first choice in GT5P. But in real life where I can feel the G-Force pushing me hard, plus the fact that fantastic center info display designed by GT team can be seen clearly, I will definitely spend my money (if I can have it :)..) on this car.

My Nissan R35 Rebuttal:

The GTR would make the most inept driver as brilliant as Schumacher. It worries some people and some would even say that it's boring, that it brings nothing to the table and that japanese should stick to making affordable sedan and leave the supercars to the Italian and the Germans.
Then you look at the lap times. While opinion is subjective, time is the best yardstick. 0-60 in 3.4s'. Around the Nurburgring in 7:29, only a handful of cars faster than this japanese supercar wannabe, while it bests the Ferrari F430, the Ford GT and every other cars in Prologue. Only a few cars are like the GTR- effortless and it doesn't wince when subjected to the most horrendous driving condition.
While it doesn't have the sexy sophistication of a Lamborghinis or Ferraris, it lacks the wild characteristic of a Porches and its name isn't as daunting as Koenigsegg, but for a car that cost a mere $80,000, even if all it brings is suggestion of a supercar, and for that amount of money you can, on a race track beat the Ferraris, kick the Porsches butts and send the Lamborghinis home crying. And that, to me, is Epic.

Good idea for a thread - would be nice to hear what everyone has to say about the cars in GT5p instead of the game itself.

My R35 commentary:

There's just no drama. To me, it's a neutered supercar. You never get the sense that it's going to bite your face off and throw you into a wall. You get the sense the car is driving you, that you may as well pull into the pits and switch drivers - with your mum. And that within 2 laps, she'll be within a few tenths of your laptimes.

Where does this leave me, however? Whilst I'm lighting up the rear tyres in my Ferrari, trying desperately to steer the car with the throttle and get the most grip out of every single rotation with a massive smile on my face.

Ten seconds behind my mum in a car which cost a quarter of my Italian rabbid dog on her way to the shops. That's what makes the GTR such a wonderful achievement in technology.

Honda Integra Type R

How on earth a car that's really 'cheap' can make track sensation even better than a much expensive supercar? It seems only Honda knows how to do it, and the Integra Type R is their prove. It might not be the fastest, brutal or most agile on the track. But once you drive it on the circuit, Integra magically bring your racing adrenaline to the limit.

The rev-happy engine, close ratio gearbox, precision steering and well tuned suspension quickly turn this low-budget supercar into something that even Michael Schumacher wants to drive it all over again. It's so fantastic that you will forgive the fact this car is FWD. The sensation it makes can never be achieved by another maker without the spirit of racing and genius engineers that Honda had since 1960. With this car, you can save your money but still spark your joy.

Honda NSX

A 20 year old design should not be able to keep up with modern machinery, but the NSX manages it with grace and style.

Sure, its engine lacks power compared with today’s 400bhp plus monsters. And it certainly has far less 'torques'. But its voracious appetite for revs, close ratio gearbox and light weight make it more than a match for the majority of today’s fastest supercars in pure performance terms.

Where the NSX has a real advantage however is in its handling. Un-sanitised by 4 wheel drive and computer controlled everything blesses it with an exquisite balance that eradicates the ‘safe’ understeer that blights its younger competition. The result is a car with an almost telepathic ability to change direction, be it as a result of throttle modulation or steering input.

But the NSX doesn’t suffer fools. Its propensity for lift-off oversteer means that if it’s not driven with sensitivity, it will bite, and hard. It needs to be guided with super smooth throttle, brake and steering inputs. Get this right and it will reward you like no other.

The Honda NSX: What it lacks in technology it more than makes up for with supreme tactility.

I total agree with fitraeri :)
G-Forces in the GTR are :bowdown:

I drove the Nissan GTR in real life too and it´s realy easy to drive and drive fast as hell. In my opinion GT5P shows several things of the real car.
For example the easy handling, speed, nice oversteering out of the corners.
I think it´s also better not to turn in while you´re on the brake but i didn´t try this :sly:
Of course a simulation can´t be the same as a in reality but with the possibilitys they have in the game they did a good job with the GTR.

Honda NSX
(All in Clarkson voice)

This, is the honda nsx, it is the only car of its kind..........in the world!
This car doesn't have that much power compared to the cars of today, but you just get that feel that you're not going to die while driving it, its just so easy to drive, even James May would be able to pull off spectacular powerslides with this, and he's captain slow! Sure, it does look like John Prescott's left buttock but, my God its good.

When honda designed the car 20 or so years ago, it did have some of the best technology of the time, now we would think of it as being a very old toyota celica, but the celica has been upgraded and made better, this hasn't. The styling is old, and the engine is old, but this car has the passion ans the soul that other cars don't have. Other cars are basically just feats of engineering that will always be killed off and replaced with something new, but this, sadly, wont. Honda has stopped making these, so this will always remain, as the honda flagship!

(Back in the studio)

[clapping]
Richard : oh wait hang on, what kind of roadtest was that?!
Jeremy : a very good one in fact!
James : no it wasn't! it was a nasty piece of material, why did you show that to all the viewers at home? assuming there are any.
Jeremy : ok, ok, shall i tell you why i didn't finish it off?
James and Richard : Yes!
Jeremy : it broke down
James and Richard : What?
Richard : It broke down! hahahahah you broke the last Honda NSX in the world!
Jeremy : :sly: YES!

Last edited:
I'll start off

with s3 tyres all round

R35 GTR
When I drive this car, I find the sensation of speed is gone. Yes, it does bring up some impressive lap times without trying but I never get a real sense of joy out of it, and if you push it too hard (which you never can tell) you get understeer, which is a big no no. And on top of that, when you rev it really high and anticipate a really satisfying gear change noise, it just comes up with a really boring (but fast) change of tones. This may just effect me but a really good engine noise makes me drive faster. This car is more of a staple than an accessory in GT5P. It costs under 80000cr and you're almost always going to win if you use it, but honestly, I get more joy when I watch it on a replay - It looks great in black.

Honda NSX
(All in Clarkson voice)

This car doesn't have that much power compared to the cars of today, but you just get that feel that you're not going to die while driving it, its just so easy to drive, even James May would be able to pull off spectacular powerslides with this, and he's captain slow! Sure, it does look like John Prescott's left buttock but, my God its good.

When honda designed the car 20 or so years ago, it did have some of the best technology of the time, now we would think of it as being a very old toyota celica, but the celica has been upgraded and made better, this hasn't. The styling is old, and the engine is old, but this car has the passion ans the soul that other cars don't have. Other cars are basically just feats of engineering that will always be killed off and replaced with something new, but this, sadly, wont. Honda has stopped making these, so this will always remain, as the honda flagship!

(Back in the studio)

[clapping]
James : no it wasn't! it was a nasty piece of material, why did you show that to all the viewers at home? assuming there are any.

These were done really well. I felt like I was really listening to TOP GEAR!

Jeremy: Now, Let's hear it from the Stig.
STIG: ...
Jeremy: Right, Exacly!

Honda NSX
(All in Clarkson voice)

(Back in the studio)

[clapping]

👍

I have a confession to make,

I'm addicted to the Audi R8.

Now, it may not be your first choice in vehicles. But once you try it out, it will definitely be your last choice. Audi doesn't make weening yourself off of the addiction any easier, with an amazing all wheel drive setup that almost mimics real wheel drive at times, suction cup style traction, and an amazing body shape.The Audi R8 is one of GT5p's most impressive vehicles.

The interior is amazingly detailed, and keeps within Audi's legendary design aesthetic. Once you are inside, even a blind man would know its an Audi. In a world dominated by Porches and BMW's you would be hard pressed to even consider a contender outside of the usual four door suspects. The R8 comes from the sidelines ready and willing to whip you around at the drop of a hat.

Some of you may be asking yourselves why I haven't gone on to harp about the V8 power plant that rests snugly in a mid-engine layout, easily seen by the whole world due to the rear window focusing on the setup. This is because the vehicle doesn't boast break-neck performance figures. Compared to even its direct competitors, the Carrera, the performance numbers are close. But this isn't to say that any of that takes away from the way the vehicle behaves on the track. There is plenty of power under the trunk, and shes not afraid to show you. While the V8 version may not quite have Ferrari busting performance numbers, there is a V10 model that will soon be making its way to the game, and its a vehicle that I am most looking forward to.

thanks to everyone making compliments on the thread and in some cases, my style of writing (whoa).

to myke6699 - yes, the lap times are brilliant, and even more so when you think about how hard you're pushing but as I was saying, the driving sensation is only half there. There's only three factors to it - accelerate, brake and steer.

to bicycleshorts - I totally agree with you. If i'm in an arcade race with infinate laps, I love taking out a fezza (especially the 430) or another high powered car and seeing how far I can push myself, and it, to go faster and faster. It doesn't matter about winning a free race (un like challenge events - then you use the GTR), it's about driver satisfaction.

to fitraeri - I too love the intergra type r.....and THAT NOISE!!!! just love it.
I was bored one day and decided to test every FWD car in the game and I found that the mini cooper s and the intergra type R both tied first on the fun factor criteria - but, yes, the honda will get round the track around the track faster. I love the mini too because - for the first time on the gt games (i think) - you can actually hear the supercharger whine.

really glad you guys like the thread

Last edited:
I have a confession to make,

I'm addicted to the Audi R8.

Now, it may not be your first choice in vehicles. But once you try it out, it will definitely be your last choice. Audi doesn't make weening yourself off of the addiction any easier, with an amazing all wheel drive setup that almost mimics real wheel drive at times, suction cup style traction, and an amazing body shape.The Audi R8 is one of GT5p's most impressive vehicles.

The interior is amazingly detailed, and keeps within Audi's legendary design aesthetic. Once you are inside, even a blind man would know its an Audi. In a world dominated by Porches and BMW's you would be hard pressed to even consider a contender outside of the usual four door suspects. The R8 comes from the sidelines ready and willing to whip you around at the drop of a hat.

Some of you may be asking yourselves why I haven't gone on to harp about the V8 power plant that rests snugly in a mid-engine layout, easily seen by the whole world due to the rear window focusing on the setup. This is because the vehicle doesn't boast break-neck performance figures. Compared to even its direct competitors, the Carrera, the performance numbers are close. But this isn't to say that any of that takes away from the way the vehicle behaves on the track. There is plenty of power under the trunk, and shes not afraid to show you. While the V8 version may not quite have Ferrari busting performance numbers, there is a V10 model that will soon be making its way to the game, and its a vehicle that I am most looking forward to.

I agree. the acceleration out of a corner is unbelievable and you can be the worst driver and it'll still stay on the black stuff. Even when you think you're going way to fast for the entry of a corner it'll slow you down in time - and on top of that - the steering under braking is sublime.
However I find it's seriously lacking kahoonahs to give me much joy on the straights - sadly

I agree. the acceleration out of a corner is unbelievable and you can be the worst driver and it'll still stay on the black stuff. Even when you think you're going way to fast for the entry of a corner it'll slow you down in time - and on top of that - the steering under braking is sublime.
However I find it's seriously lacking kahoonahs to give me much joy on the straights - sadly

Hopefully the V10 model will fix that problem :)

These were done really well. I felt like I was really listening to TOP GEAR!

Jeremy: Now, Let's hear it from the Stig.
STIG: ...
Jeremy: Right, Exacly!

Clarkson: Now it's time to hand it over to our tamed racing driver. "Some say his first name really is "the"and that he sucks all the moisture out of ducks. All we know he's called the Stig.

Great thread. I've been wanting to get in on this one for a while. My turn :sly:

The Audi R8

All right now!

Clarkson’s already had his grubby mitts all over this one and come away loving it. The staff is hoping for an unbiased review. Since Clarkson’s mostly useless in that regard, it’s my turn behind the wheel.

To get the supercar feel just right, you need just the right bit of lunacy, torture, stupidity, sex... Now where do German Engineering and Audi, for that matter, fit into that mix?

Hmmm. Nowhere, actually.

First the styling; flamboyance and sensuality you ask? No, not really. Insanity, perhaps? Um… No. Total excess that your comrades would never approve of? No. There’s just the Audi family nose and a curious amount of front overhang.

It’s easy to take a quick glance and dismiss the R8 as little more than a stretched TT with the engine out back. But look closer. The design is solid as granite, understated and quietly aggressive. How very German…

When I drive, I want something raw and brutal, so that when all the traction control and electro stability gobbly-gook is switched off, I can thrash about the track, and provided I survive, go home knowing that I broke in a stallion; fought a raging bull. It’s man over beast for our day. And that begs the question, how does the R8 actually drive?

I took her out to Suzuka Circuit for a run. The track has a reputation for putting braggarts and idiots in their place, especially the ones driving the supercars. Muck up your lines, come into a corner too hot or try to get out with too heavy a foot and you’ll end up boot-first in the gravel. Perfect!

Running full trot out on the straights, I’m not impressed. The acceleration is there in spades certainly, but the car feels out of steam long before the first corner. And the engine note is… curious. While that V8 bellow will put hair on your chest, it’s covered up mostly by a whine that’s reminiscent of a blender.

Into the first corner, I’m expecting Audi Quattro understeer. It’s present but completely muted. The rest of the first section is coming up now—time for the idiot test. Off the throttle going into turn two: oversteer and a perfect line. I’m not dead, brilliant!

The R8’s response to brutal (stupid) driving is remarkable. The mechanical grip and mid-corner speed is frightening. Mash the throttle mid-turn and the car stays planted. You just get a dollop of acceleration and a hint of understeer that can be corrected with a lift or jab of the gas.

The driving experience is just so accessible. Look at this; I’m doing a four-wheel drift! And I just made an F430 look slow in the twisty bits… Glorious! So the R8 is queen of the corner. How about the brakes? Great stability, unholy stopping power; yes!

Today, everyone is afraid that heaps of computers, gadgets and airbags are draining the soul out of the driving experience and leaving us to drive lumps of dead weight. The fears are founded. A lot of cars are insolated and just too easy to drive. And that's being kind. Most of them are colossal bores.

The Audi R8 comes from the new generation of computer cars. Instead of killing me outright for my arrogance, the car eggs me on to run another lap on the edge. It tempts me to go back and get those two tenths I lost God-knows-where. At every point the car tells me what it's doing, and I know, I feel, exactly how it needs to be driven.

Yes, the R8 is too easy to drive—and I don’t like being reminded that I’m a less than stellar driver, but you know what? I don’t care. And I’m afraid I’m going to prove that I’m just as useless as Clarkson here. Clarkson said the R8 experience was akin to smearing honey “in” Keira Knightley. I thought that description was just a questionable misuse of a preposition and Clarkson just being Clarkson; however now, I understand. And I have to agree with him.

Though I’m not sure I’d call it a supercar, the R8 is a machine with a soul, a masterpiece.

Now if only it were 200 kilos lighter and had 100 extra horsepower…

Last edited:
Ferrari 599

It might be heavy, and understeers, but it is a great car in the game and in real life. A lot of people don't drive them and for those of you with the money in the game now,buy one.
It's not something you would buy in the game if you haven't beaten it yet. It's just beautiful to look at when its doing a few laps. I look beyond the un-nimbleness and weight of it and look at the beauty and the thrill of driving this car. It's grippy like the Nissan GTR but understeers more. It's unique because you can't just take a turn on a dime or at high speed. You have to plan before you turn or you end up in the grass on the outside. And the sound, is a whole different story. Listen to the music that 620hp V12 makes and you just think, "wow,amazing" When you hit that redline you just don't want to stop going high. It might not be lotus elise "nimble and light", or nissan gtr "always perfect" but it's a ferrari and it's the 599.

Ferrari f40, initiate jeremys voice in your head

The day's of the fire breathing snorting dragon supercars.....Have gone.

Only to be replaced.... by half-aussed self guiding techological lumps of machinery

Not saying that its necssersarily a bad thing, But in other way's i am,

Every thing nowadays are just to posh, to sivalized, to well kept,

What happen to the days of loud roaring unchained v12s, the days of scaring little pre school kids when you rumbled on by, The thrill of climbing into a v12 non airconditioning death trap and going for a latenight scuisidal drive?

I just dont get it, Every car i have driven on here, is just a car..........There really wasent any passion, no soul, no feeling that the car could fall all apart at anytime.

just you surrounding in fine leather clad seats, and navigational rubish.

I DON WANT THAT... I want the true sensation of speed, Not some woman telling me my when turn is comming up... In my opinion, all of these modern road buring super cars are just rubbish, But... What if we were to switch things up a bit,.... What if instead of bringing out somthing shiny and new.. We brought out somthing Old and dangerous...
What if...(ferarri f40 snorting and spewing in the distance.) (jeremys hmmmMMMmmm) Now.. i think were getting some where,

Cue music, and scene changes.

Ladys and gentelman ide like to Re-introduce you to the king, Of the supercar
A Car... Still even today that could frighten your granmother.... The terrifying nail bighting fire snorting beer throughing drunk.

The ferarri F40...

Look at it, This is what its all about, This is were it all starts to make sence..
You would imagine if you showed up to a garden party in one of these they would ausk you to leave, But thats what its suposed to be about, Its not suposed to be a Pretty magestic lady in a party dress... Its suposed to be a frightning midle aged widow with a nack for ocasionaly beating her husbands with tire irons,

You just get the feeling, when you look at this car, you know its fast, and you know it will kill you, But you just dont care. You dont care about the welding in the interior, you dont car that The fire wall is 2 cm away from the back of your head, You dont even care about the alarming gear grinding 5 speed, But you do care about the haritage, the passion, the charecter, its just a big lump of what use to be, and what has gone.
And i love it.... I absolutely adore this car, forget koeningzegs forget bugattis, It just all comes down to this, I mean just look at this simple interior, i mean sure.... it looks as if it was designed by pre school kids with just some crayons and a ruler and sure the dash board looks like a shag carpet from a hippy mobile.... ...But it works, For example, You get behind the wheel of a enzo and you think, My word... But this, this is just the buisness, this is pure racing haritige enginereing at its best AND NO STUPID FLAPPY PADDLE GEAR BOX, Just a propper 5 speed manual with a clutch.

Now to start it, F40 engine pop, then reving sound

AS I DRIVE THIS CAR RIGHT NOW....I HAVE TO YELL, ITS JUST SO LOUD, AND THATS THE WAY ITS SUPOSED TO BE, ITS NOT QUIET AND RESTRAINT IT JUST ROARS, AND WITH THIS YOU CAN JUST GET THE JIST OF WHAT THIS CAR IS REALLY ABOUT, YOU KNOW ITS THERE, ITS HAS A PRENSENCE, AND YOU JUST WANT TO APRECIATE IT, I MEAN, I CANT REALY EXPLAIN IT...... THANKS TO THIS TWIN TURBO CHARGED FIRE BREATHING V8 CHURNING OUT SMOLDERING BURNING HORSES OUT OF THE EXHAUST PIPES, AFTA ABOUT 4 THOUSANDS RPM THE TURBO CHARGES START TO SOUND LIKE CROSS LAND JET FIGHTERS, IT IS JUST ASTONISHING, I AM ABOSULETLY HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....
JUST LISTEN TO THAT,WOHOHOHOOO JUST AMAZING.......

This is it, this is were it all begain, this is the beer throughing kindergarden scaring monster that i was talking about, This, is just the propper True therobread supercar from the middle ages.

Audience clapping

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
for my second review

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6)

s3 tyres.

This car has only one side to it -- drifting. If you want to drift a Z06, good for you! You'll have a great time chosing where you want to initiate and end the slide, how much angle and what speed - and you havn't even began to turn the wheel yet.

However, if you want to go round a corner like a normal car, that's a whole different ball game. The Z06 just doesn't have "go like everyone else" in it's repotoire. You wil have to be amazingly skilled but even more restrained - yes it will (eventually) go in a good line round a corner but when you are feathering the throttle round the 's' bends on suzuka track, you are tempted to think "why am I doing this? I should be lighting up the rubber 30 degrees from the front wheels!".

This car has much more potential than the slighty more powerful viper (which, by the way, is a lot safer - but slower - to drive) as it has stiffer suspension and a little less weight and yes, a skilled (like reeeaallyy skilled) driver could get the car round a compact track rather quikly but this car is mostly suited large sweeping tracks (say, fuji or daytona road) and of course drifting.
I half bought the car for the noise, half bought the car for a race I had to do, but looking back at it, it was a great choice. The Viper and the Z06 were around the same price, but as one can see from the recommended AI level, the Viper can only muster 75 where the Z06 has a whopping 85 - and thats 2 more than a fezza 430 (another car I wish to review soon).

And (as I said in the first review I did) the noise makes me want to drive this car more. All through GT4, I had been yearning for a few decent V8 noises and I think I've found one burbling from the back of this car. The noise is deep and smooth in low rev range - just as it should be, but has one climbs higher up into the upper limits, it turns int a howl - but it seems natural. It seems the Chevrolet boffins designed it to comfortably rev high in the first place - and that's different for a 7L V8.

She sounds great doesn't she? find her in the dearlerships or in the garage and ask her out - she'll oblige. May I suggest an arcade free race with infinate amount of laps (she doesn't like pressure) on Daytona road circuit?

You wont regret it.

ps -apologies if any GT facts are wrong

Last edited:
Oh and thanks to all of you that are writing in!!

I must say I didn't expect this level of writing from the off!! Some of the work shows real effort and that's really great!!

thanks

That was an awesome read TorqueHappenS08. It needs to be cleaned up, but sheesh, you nailed Clarkson, perfectly; right down to the "STUPID FLAPPY PADDLES." Keep it up man 👍

Richard: and now we're gonna hand the f40 over to our tame racing driver.Some say that his right thigh gets bigger when he sees a pretty lady....and i haven't done this in a long time and forgot to make up a 2nd one. All we know is he's called the STIG.

Mitsubishi Evo X

This car does everything perfect. Handling, acceleration, gear change. It's just perfect. You always have control over it(driving assists on or off) with its 4wd and other stuff like active YAW control. It's a car you can learn any track in because its so easy to drive. It has hardly any loss of grip while driving and doesn't drop significantly in grip when you go down in tire class. I love the sound of it. It has a bit of turbo lag when in the mid to low rpm(thats why keep high in this car and use manual)but in the turns it just slices them like a razor. It is definitely better than the IX although heavier. Not too expensive 30,000-50,000(correct me if i'm wrong)and can keep up with anything at suzuka. Not built for top speed but when you take the first turn in it you just say "wow"

That was an awesome read TorqueHappenS08. It needs to be cleaned up, but sheesh, you nailed Clarkson, perfectly; right down to the "STUPID FLAPPY PADDLES." Keep it up man 👍
Haha thank's i Got to caught up in the story, and generated mega typos.

Back