GT5p vs GRID (First, and only, take)

• Thread starter sxboyd
  • 298 comments

sxboyd

Premium
GTP_SeniorL8R
Maybe one day - PS rules
I got my $59.99 reserved copy of GRID the other day and finally installed and started playing. This morning I returned it to GameStop and got only $22 back - it was a $38 lesson and exercise in frustration.:irked:

First, when you first enter the game, you are immedaitely, without warning, thrown into a "race" to see if you can "qualify" as a rookie - you just have to "finish" the race - no matter how far back - so take your time. If you don't make it, don't worry, you can start again, and no matter where you finish, you get the same results - I tired it several times to see what the difference would be. Dumb. It did serve one prupose. You realize right away that the the steering wheel is not set up right so you go on a quest to get it set up right before you start to race in earnest. Not like GT at all, where you just get in and the driving feels "real" right off the bat, with only personal preference setup required for your driving.

Second, the steering wheel setup and response is nothing short of a joke. As my son said it, it looks like you are driving a boat on the road. You have several adjustments for the response of the steeering wheel - one of those being linearity, which is set to +4. The note at the bottom says "If you have trouble steering the caar in a straight line, increase the linearity." I increased it in steps until I reached 10 and it was like driving a car with bungy cords attached to the steering wheel. The center was very washy with little response then the car would suddenly respond, then seem to over-react and go the other way - it was weird. Finally, I set the linearity to -10 and it got to where it would respond somewhere like I wanted it to, but it still had a "soft zone" in the center - unlike GT where you have a very life zone at the center of the steering. In addition, in GT upon entering a straght away, once you get the car pointed in the right direction, you can let the steer ing wheel go and it will center itself the same way a real car does. Don't try this in GRID unless you just want a good laugh.

Oh, BTW. You can race up to 20 cars in GRID. You know what that means. You have more idiot AI to bash you on the track. The online Beginner class Daytona Speedway NEVER got that bad. They weave erratically on the straight aways, they take unexpected, unpredictable lines through the corners, they can go through corners at speeds that rival the best arcade games, passing on both sides of you when the time comes. Don't worry, once you gain the confidence you can go through corners much faster than reality, too the cars just don't feel real - they don't even feel half as good as the cars in TOCA Race Driver 2. I can't even begin to compare the AI and cars here to those in GT5, GT4, GT3, GT2, OR GT1.

The cars are FLAT all the time. They don't dip under braking, they don't lean in the curves, they don't squat under acceleration. They just stay flat. And what is with the steering wheel shake under upshifts in a rear wheel car TVR Tuscany). And no torque steer whatsoever with FF cars - really?! In GT, the cars are individual and respond according to their weight, downforce, steering dynamics, drive line (FF, FR, MR, RR), even the weight distributiuon of the car is considered and factored into the driveing dynamics.

The gameplay sucks - it was modeled just like the game setup in DiRT. While the game is loading between races, etc., you get the same kind of pop-up stats like miles run, restarts, flashbacks, best drifting, etc. Just load the darned thing!!! After that "qualifying race", you have a choice of races in the GRID World. You have a choice of racing in one of 3 events, each with a differenct kind of car which you've never seen or driven before, on a track you've never seen or driven before, without any means of practicing, qualifying, or getting to know the track map whatsoever, but don't worry. In some modes you get all the restarts you need - and you are going to need a LOT of them. If you are started anywhere near middle to back of the pack, you're going to need a lot of luck to keep from getting punted all over the track by the AI, especiall if you starting passing toward the front. Now GT does this in some of the races, but not nearly at this order, and you can select the car you want to race in most events. In addition, the only way to get SOME practice on some of the tracks is by going to the Instant Race (?)mode, but you cannot select the car or set up its dynamic characteristics.

So how do you gain knowledge of the tracks or the cars in this game, GRID? How do you test your setup of your steering wheel or the response of the car? How do you make the cars behave the way they should, or improve their dynamics? How do you get your money back? I didn't even bother to try to go online with it. After racing several games and racing La Sarthe especially, I just started laughing and had my son drive it (he is very good at this too). He drove all over the track, then drove his battered car which had damage to ALL of the functions on through the race with minimal effect. He said it felt like the cars were on rubber bands.

This game seems like a BIG step back from TOCA (any version) and comes nowhere near GT. In fact, when I unloaded GRID and put GT back into my PS3, I made the mistake of going online to race almost immediately. The car in GT5 was so responsive, that I immediately ran it off-track and let TAKATA_DOME go by me, then went on to garner 4 more penaltiesduring the first two laps of the game. Needless to say, I got a lesson in humiliation from Mr. DOME. Those of you that have raced with me know that I don't make THAT many mistakes. I sent an apology to TAKATA_DOME with a brief explanation.:banghead:

So I thought I would give it one more try. I got up early, jumped on the PS3 and did some offline stuff. Same feel of arcade and design for non-driving teenagers who don't know what it really feels like to drive or just don't care for simulators - cause this one is NOT. Then I made an even bigger mistake, I went out and got into my car and started down the road - with the same results that I had gotten from GT last night. :nervous:

I have NEVER had trouble going from GT or Enthusia to my car. But that was downright scarey - going from GRID to a real car should carry a warning that tells you to recalibrate your brain to the real responses of the car after racing - WHOA!!!

If you are under 25 and like to drive ARCADE games, then this game is right up your alley. If you are looking for anything that simulates reality, save your money until something else comes along. GRID vs GT - no contest. Apples and tomatoes comparison.👎

Thanks for the review 👍

I downloaded the demo thinking, 'this will be interesting, I wonder how it compares to GT?" Within 5 minutes I'd deleted it from my machine :yuck:

Many thanks, I found this review very helpful, helpful in the way that you just saved me £40!

I was considering buying this game but if it is only half as bad as you report, I will steer well clear!

Thanks for taking the time to warn us!

I have a few driving games and the more I play GT5 (my first GT game), the more I think that GT5 is the only game I need!

Regards

wow after reading that review i wouldnt even think of playing the game if it was given to me for free. i gotta say code masters really needs to step it up because thats 2 bad games in a row and if they use that same 🤬 engine for there F1 game (which i believe i read that they planed on it) thats another game i wont touch. i planned on getting this game just so i could drive the C6.R but defiantly not worth it ill just stick to GT5P and GTR2.

wow after reading that review i wouldnt even think of playing the game if it was given to me for free. i gotta say code masters really needs to step it up because thats 2 bad games in a row and if they use that same 🤬 engine for there F1 game (which i believe i read that they planed on it) thats another game i wont touch. i planned on getting this game just so i could drive the C6.R but defiantly not worth it ill just stick to GT5P and GTR2.
I don't think it's a crappy physics engine at all - sadly they didn't bother making the driving physics that realistic. Everything else, the visible damage, the damage animation, the great looks and solid-smooth framerate shows the engine's potential. It's a shame they didn't make it more realistic.

I honestly didn't like the demo at first. After 5 minutes I literally called it explicit words and turned it off. But after playing it as it is it's very good for an Arcade racer. Yes, the cars handle badly, but it's slightly improved with the aids off, enough to make me buy it. I can understand why you guys don't like it though.

There's a couple of issues with the damage being inconsitent - sometimes I hit the barrier and you get no damage, sometimes you do get damage. Once I was even totalled randomly. Then in some of the faster races the cars seem to corner faster than you through fast corners. No idea why that happens and annoys me frequently.

My overall verdict is if you want to play a racing game for the "fun" factor, great visuals (I'd say they're slightly better than GT5:P) and tight races with unpredicable AI (which is definitely not as bad as some people say they are - they're a lot worse in GT4, tad worse than GT5), then this is the game for you. But if you want much superior realism, then stick with GT5:P.

Personally if they implemented GT5:P's driving physics into GRID's physics engine then the game would be killer.

And yes, I agree if the F1 cars in the future F1 games from Codemasters handle like those in GRID it will be a big dissapointment.

G.T
And yes, I agree if the F1 cars in the future F1 games from Codemasters handle like those in GRID it will be a big dissapointment.

+1. If they screw F1 up............ fans around the world will burn codemasters HQ to the ground. They are on very very shaky ground.

****snip****
If you are way under 25, like 7 years old perhaps, and like to drive ARCADE games, then this game is right up your alley. If you are looking for anything that simulates reality, save your money until something else comes along. GRID vs GT - no contest. Apples and tomatoes comparison.👎

Based on my very limited, and very bad experience with the demo, I almost agree 100% with your nice review. The only thing I would add is what I have highlighted above.

Never liked the demo too. I'm with you on your opinion.

The only thing I didn't like was the "25 years old thing". I started playing GT series when I was ~12 years old, until today. Don't know if you said that due to the age/mature thing, but doesn't have that linear relationship with the tastes, necessary.

Well again comparing GRiD to GT5 is impossible, they are not even remotely in the same category. That being said, if you're going to play GRiD you have to step back and play it for what it is and have fun with that part of it. I mean really the best part of the game are the replays, they are fun to watch and the camera system is pretty slick again.👍

The engine they're using is awesome, they just have to implement it properly and tone down the 'arcade' like aspects. ie the bouncy rubber band effect you mention. Coming out of a tight corner if you launch the car in the air sideways you really get the bounce going, I'm not sure what that's supposed to simulate.

The one thing my friends and I noticed, before we returned our copies, was that it was way way easier to play this game with a controller than a wheel. I think because of the way it does tend to snap around and exaggerate things the controller kinda handles it better, I had no problem winning or coming in top 3 online or in the game.

I wasn't impressed with the game for many of the reasons you mention, I did have a certain amount of fun with it once I got a handle on driving the cars, you really can fly around with them. There just isn't a lot of depth racing-wise in the game and I thought it would be better in that sense. I still prefer DiRT even with it's shortcomings.

This game is a rent for sure, not a recommended buy that's for sure. The one thing I notice is that the TV ads for the game look nothing like the actual game....hell if the game actually played like the ads it would probably be good.

There are just way to many punters online

True. There is a weird mode that guys get into I noticed and that is when it comes down to just two of you running, they like to start this racing demolition mode thing. It's actually kinda funny. You just bash each other while racing to the finish, if you wreck they'll actually stop and wait or come back and see what is going on. But ya the old ramming mentality is alive and well online there as well.

And Gamespot gave it an 8.0 compared to GT5P's 7.5, praising it on how good it was and everything...it even aid the cockpit view was great, and in the GT5P review, it bagged the living crap out of the cockpit view!

Thanks, I was actuallyconsidering getting this, let's hope Codemasters does a better job with their F1 games or we're stuck until a new dev picks up the licence.

I imagine that taken on its own merits, the game could be fun, but the problem I have with it is that (as sxboyd indicated), it ruins your driving in GT5P, not to mention IRL! The solution to this problem would be to play it using a controller rather than a wheel, but personally I would rather give it a miss.

:eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :boggled:

Wow, that's just ridiculous...

ok, I might have exaggerated...but still, quoting from Gamespot:

"There are four views available during races: normal (bumper height), bonnet, above-car chase view, and a new in-car driver's-eye view. The last of these makes the visibility of the track somewhat restricted, given that part of the screen is taken up with a detailed view of your car's frame, dashboard, steering wheel (complete with manufacturer logos), rear-view mirrors, and even working gauges. Resting on the wheel are your driver's hands, clad in Sparco racing gloves that move realistically at your whim. It's a nice addition to be able to appreciate your new ride from the inside (you can also look out of the back window when you press the rear-view button), but it's not very practical. Though the inclusion of this feature is in keeping with the authentic replication of the vehicles, you'll likely end up opting for a less-restricted view of the racetrack once the novelty wears off. "

On the other hand, we have GRID, whose graphics do not compare with GT5P and whose interior view lacks detail:
" There are some nice stylistic touches, such as camera tilt as you take corners at speed, and the interior camera offers a spectacular view of the car you're driving." and "The interior camera view offers a realistic perspective on the action."

ok, I might have exaggerated...but still, quoting from Gamespot:

You weren't really exaggerating after watching one of their video sessions they had with a few guys (on the spot or something), where they bagged the interior view (and the whole game really, comparing it to NFS also) even worse than they did in the written review.

you can also look out of the back window when you press the rear-view button), but it's not very practical.

I flip this all the time, what a moron. Hell I hit it in the middle of long sweepers to see what's going on. 👍

Am I the only one that uses it?

I flip this all the time, what a moron. Hell I hit it in the middle of long sweepers to see what's going on. 👍

Am I the only one that uses it?

nope i always use the back window seeing as moving my hand ot the shifter to look at the side mirrors is extremly impractical. much easier to just look out the back window. though i do wish that the interior view would look into the apex when turning that i do give to grid on doing well.

I don't know about GT5 vs GRiD, but if you want a real laugh go and download Nascar 2009 demo from PSN. OMG! I can't even describe it....

What year is this? :lol::lol: God....EA Sports....it's in the game alright. :rolleyes:

Well, I like arcade games; yes games like Need for Speed and I loved NFS:wanted and I didn't like this game. It didn't come off as simulator or arcade, it was some odd mix and not like MSR/PGR. Maybe it's because I'm over 25 =P

What gets me is the video, actually put out by some of the makers of GRID comparing them to GT5:P, and they were talking about how they were "better" because they had damage and whatnot, and bashing GT5:P because they had "slow" cars in their game (Example: Suzuki Cappacino is the one they mentioned) but I installed the demo, and within about 3 minutes... DELETED! (For those of you who also enjoy Strongbad) :)

Luke

I don't know about GT5 vs GRiD, but if you want a real laugh go and download Nascar 2009 demo from PSN. OMG! I can't even describe it....

What year is this? :lol::lol: God....EA Sports....it's in the game alright. :rolleyes:

Nascar is awful, your right. It looks like it is for the ps2. I haven't tried the 360 version yet, I hope it's better. I loved the nascar games until about 4 years ago. They haven't even been worth playing lately.

If you turn of all the assists, activate Pro Mode the experience is a little different ;)

Smokin down Lemans, day going to night is pretty awesome!

Posted this already in the GRID topic but here it is again

Make up your mind then ;)

I don't compare it to GT5 or any other racing game. I'm having a hell of blast with it. absolutely no problem with the AI

Oo and I drive with the DFP wheel, 900 degrees mode on and reduced response to 35% (ps3 version)

Nascar is awful, your right. It looks like it is for the ps2. I haven't tried the 360 version yet, I hope it's better. I loved the nascar games until about 4 years ago. They haven't even been worth playing lately.

nascar mods for rfactor are a million times better than EA nascar

If you turn of all the assists, activate Pro Mode the experience is a little different ;)

not really. physics are still crap

not really. physics are still crap

Agreed. That's the only way I played the game :scared: Physics for that game are terrible, and people compare the two (GRID and GT5:P) because they put themselves out there as a simulator, THEY EVEN COMPARED THEMSELVES TO GT5:P!!!! Bad move. 👎

Luke

+1 to everyone who downloaded it, played it and then deleted it, cos I did exactly the same.

I've seen people defend grid for it's "fun" factor, but the trouble is, it isn't even as fun as the previous Race Driver and TOCA games, and they were more realistic! I had some of my most challenging racing game races ever in TOCA2 based on the 1998 BTCC season. Professional mode on that was difficult, you had to be damn quick to avoid getting hit by the AI on the corners, they were agressive and if you hit them they'd do their best to get you back - it was one of the first racing games to implement intelligent AI. If you were coming up to lap them they'd actually pull out of your way!

The TOCA games have steadily been getting worse. Never played the original TOCA, but 2 was brilliant, then TOCA World Touring Cars was great fun and had a vast choice of series, but graphics and physics actually took a step back. Onto the PS2, and the original Race Driver was fun and still had the BTCC but I remember being disappointed by the handling and the cockpit view (which was the same in virtually every car). Race Driver 2 got rid of the BTCC which I wasn't impressed with, and it gave me no incentive to complete the story mode. Now GRID is just rubbish and it'll take something special to get me back to Codemasters after they made a mockery of the Colin McRae series too.

Re: The GRID cockpit view - that review is stupid. The GT cockpit is much more realistic. Anyone else noticed in the GRID cockpit you appear to be sitting with your head virtually on the ceiling and the steering wheel is tiny? Since when is that a realistic interior perspective?...

Interesting read, although yet again bias towards GT5... you got Grid thinking you had a GT5 equivalent or "killer" in your hands, instead of a simple race game.

I've put my thoughts together about Grid in other threads so i will not do the same thing here... but since you mention the fact that you start the game in a car... and that you say its a step back from Toca racing is kind of wierd, since they do the exact same thing in Toca...?!?! Furthermore, i loved the fact that you were stuck in races and you only needed to "finish" the race... which serves as a good wakeup call to the world of racing... in most games, you always have to finish first, else you just "restart"... in GRID you can't just restart... in real life, your sponsors sure want you to finish first, but first of all, they want you to FINISH the race you started... GRID does that brilliantly... its GT5 that does it wrong.

Also, if you would've bothered to finish the rookie stuff and start your own team, you'd see how much more fun you get from playing that game... yes 20 AIs to put you in walls... if you overbreak, pass in corners or make unsafe passes in general... all that stuff they teach you in liveforspeed ... but i guess you hardcore racers out there didn't play that one eh?

I bought GRID (360) and i have about 300% more fun with this game then with Prologue, for the simple fact that i feel in a race car, on a race track, part of a race team. While in prologue, i feel like taking a ride on a sunday afternoon.

Back