GT6 Data Logger - A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter F1Racer68
  • 46 comments
Hi guys,

For info - I have been having a play in MoTeC and have found that there is a potentially useful feature in "Tools > Data". You can add info about the car e.g. weight, gear ratios etc which might open up the ability to do some more calculations.

By fudging a wheelbase and track width from the internet, I was able to get the oversteer meter working. However it is showing very high negative values >100 deg. I think this may be due to GT6 giving the steered angle in terms of steering wheel angle and not road wheel angle, but could be wrong. I always seem to get understeer shown which would make sense since you can easily steer the cockpit wheel 180 deg but (unless you are u-turning!) the car will always be turning less than this. Without steering ratio info this will be hard to scale.

I intend to test this with some handbrake turns/front brake biased lockups!

Hi guys,

For info - I have been having a play in MoTeC and have found that there is a potentially useful feature in "Tools > Data". You can add info about the car e.g. weight, gear ratios etc which might open up the ability to do some more calculations.

By fudging a wheelbase and track width from the internet, I was able to get the oversteer meter working. However it is showing very high negative values >100 deg. I think this may be due to GT6 giving the steered angle in terms of steering wheel angle and not road wheel angle, but could be wrong. I always seem to get understeer shown which would make sense since you can easily steer the cockpit wheel 180 deg but (unless you are u-turning!) the car will always be turning less than this. Without steering ratio info this will be hard to scale.

I intend to test this with some handbrake turns/front brake biased lockups!
best way to test anything in my opinion :lol:

So, I am a bit disappointed after testing it last night. As mentioned by @DolHaus there is no information for the suspension shown in the MoTeC data. It appears to only be showing data related to the car's progress around the track, and nothing related to the suspension, or even steering inputs.

I do like that it is able to show me a breakdown of times in each segment of the track though. For example we are practising for a league event at Tsukuba. We ran a 30 minute race and I saved the replay and exported it. For each lap it showed me how long it took me to cover each corner and each straight section between each corner. It wasn't just the 3 main sectors, but in fact each unique piece of track. This will be huge for me as I try to narrow down exactly where I am losing time. Until now I have only been able to determine which major sector has been my weak point within the game's timing. Now I should be able to narrow it down to specific corners.

I'm currently trying to get membership to the MoTeC forums (slow progress) so I can ask them if this is a bug or whether this is all we're getting. Its great to see it supported but without suspension and tyre data the usefulness diminishes for me almost entirely, I only really use the data logger for tuning rather than evaluating personal performance

Do you think its useful for endurance races whereby you can compare laps to the leader to see where they are quicker than you? Where you need to improve etc...

Also with regards to actual specific measurements for the suspension until such a time that this may or may not become available its possible to see how different setups affect the lap as a whole. I'm asking this because I was going to try to use the software to prepare my car for an upcoming race? Or would this be a waste of time?

Do you think its useful for endurance races whereby you can compare laps to the leader to see where they are quicker than you? Where you need to improve etc...

Also with regards to actual specific measurements for the suspension until such a time that this may or may not become available its possible to see how different setups affect the lap as a whole. I'm asking this because I was going to try to use the software to prepare my car for an upcoming race? Or would this be a waste of time?
In terms of evaluating your driving it should prove of some use, in terms of setting up the car it won't tell you anything beyond the obvious

Spoken with a guy at MoTeC and the lack of suspension/tyre data is purely on the GT6 end of things and nothing to do with them. Hopefully this will be patched in future but for the time being we will have to make do with what is currently available in terms of data feedback

Spoken with a guy at MoTeC and the lack of suspension/tyre data is purely on the GT6 end of things and nothing to do with them. Hopefully this will be patched in future but for the time being we will have to make do with what is currently available in terms of data feedback
Good that the MoTeC guys are aware that GT6'ers care about this stuff... increases the likelihood of feedback to PD, and stuff getting implemented. Pessimistic side of me thinks we might be waiting a while.
Optimistic side of me wonders if suspension detail is reserved for the fabled 7-poster rig (by KW)!

Good that the MoTeC guys are aware that GT6'ers care about this stuff... increases the likelihood of feedback to PD, and stuff getting implemented. Pessimistic side of me thinks we might be waiting a while.
Optimistic side of me wonders if suspension detail is reserved for the fabled 7-poster rig (by KW)!
Hopefully it will come in a future update, I can't imagine that this is as optimised as it could be and they are just working out the kinks 👍
Not holding my breath but keeping the faith

Thanks for the links for the Motec software @F1Racer68.:cheers:

I downloaded it the other day to start analysing data for "The Great Camber experiment" it's a great tool to have at our disposal and just may able to answer some of the questions that've been around for a while.

F1Racer68, is there another way I can view the Data Logger guide? I can't view the downloaded file.

The file is in standard PDF format. Make sure you have something capable of reading a PDF document, such as a PDF viewer or office suite that supports PDF.

I have just checked the posted file and verified that it is still intact, so as long as you have a PDF viewer you should be fine.

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you very much for this guide, @F1Racer68! I had never even used the data logger before, as my tiny brain just saw a bunch of squiggly lines. Now that I have read your guide I understand all thise lines a bit better and it will make a huge difference on how I can approach fine tuning some of my tunes! Thanks again! :cheers:

Thank you F1Racer68! I was able to view the file after downloading a pdf view. With the help of Otaliema and yourself, it has helped me a lot on learning how to use the the Data Logger. But as always, I am willing to learn more. So any direction would greatly be appreciated.

"A noobie with wrenches could be dangerous"

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you very much for this guide, @F1Racer68! I had never even used the data logger before, as my tiny brain just saw a bunch of squiggly lines. Now that I have read your guide I understand all thise lines a bit better and it will make a huge difference on how I can approach fine tuning some of my tunes! Thanks again! :cheers:

I'm just learning myself. You might get in touch with Otaliema, this person has been kind enough to help me since the people I race with either don't how to use DL or won't help me.

I'm just learning myself. You might get in touch with Otaliema, this person has been kind enough to help me since the people I race with either don't how to use DL or won't help me.

Thanks for the tip! I have read just about everything Mr. Otaliema and even Mr. Hami have written in this wonderful forum and they have been more helpful than I could ever thank them for! I've got most of the details of tuning down, but using this guide to help me understand the data logger just gives me a whole new outlook on how to fine tune my tunes! Good luck with your tuning forays and feel free to stop by my garage anytime you want to shoot the **** about tuning! :cheers:

Thanks @Mach 5 and @TheInfamousJEW6 . I'm glad to hear that the document is still being helpful for people.

I'm less active on GTPlanet these days, but still get email alerts for this thread and a few others. If you have any questions, contact me and I will try to help. I'm no expert, but I do have enough knowledge to answer most common questions.

I'm also glad to hear that @Otaliema has been helping you out. |He is also a very knowledgeable individual.

Back