GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After I took the FT-1 through its paces in the TT I found I liked it enough to spend some time with it playing in on CM tracks. Although I love Cape Ring, I'm not very good at that jump after circling the toilet ring. That inhibited my ability to get consistent. I did manage to get close to @ThrasherDBS 's time with a 1:42.608. Good time you posted. You're much better at high hp FR cars than I am 👍

I think if I was to lodge any complaints about the FT1, it would be that you cannot tune it nor paint it.

Haven't tried Vantage yet.

Cape Ring Outer - What an odd mixture of tougher than you think corners and really bottom of the barrel horror parts - The Jump? The Spiral Bridge - Toilet Bowl is perfect for a name though (Cheers Draggon)

0.jpg

Ryk's Toyota FT-1, Yesterday​

car_photo_436399.jpg

Over the line the FT-1 had 10 mph more than the Aston - and pulled a bit old gap. But the weaker less effective brakes on the Toyota made every brake zone a brake early and often prospect. Even then I was often several car widths away from the apex. First corner is nice and tough.

For me the Aston had a 0.1s advantage here - As I went under the "toilet bowl" the FT-1 had snuck into the lead - holding a 0.15 s lead and a 5mph speed advantage. And the end of the bowl the FT-1 had pulled even more of a gap 0.850s and on the down hill section that followed the Aston fell behind over 2 seconds - the weight of the Aston really hurting its grip in the higher speed corners.

All through the Esses my FT-1 had a speed advantage and its traces were never lower than the Vantage's pace.

- 1m42.002 - FT-1 ..... (ABS=0 2/4 Brake Bias)
- 1m46.059 - Vantage (ABS=0)

The Aston is heavier and feels like it lacks the snap crackle and turbocharged pop of the Toyota's Straight Six engine.

However in the end the loser was the track - my D-Pads lack of feel in the long corners grew tiresome as I had to endure an extended period of forced understeer.

The Aston has a slight advantage in balance of the car the FT-1 would get out of shape and lock wheels all over the place even with my weakened brakes.
car_photo_436378.jpg

The Aston is a car that is a rock solid good car to drive. Sounds good, nice grip rotates well in corners, dishes out lashing of wheel spin out of corners without being too yobbish. Looks pretty sweet save for the afterthought louvres on the bonnet (Engine cover? Hood?)

The FT-1
Now - I personally like the styling of the car, I know I am very much in the minority of liking the looks of the car. A weak point for me again lies on the Bonnet - the Glass engine cover is easily the weakest point of the car's looks.

But how does it drive. Now this is a tricky bit - I run ABS=0 - but the FT-1 has extremely touchy brakes - so I tend to soften up the Brake Balance from 5/5 to 2/4 I think just to let the brakes be at a familiar level to every other car and not lock up into every corner as they were very on/off otherwise (I would imagine ABS=1 driver don't suffer from this as they mash the brakes in complete ignorance of what would happen if the Computer was not operating the brakes. ) -

Now, for me, this gives the car a huge dose of personality. It isn't something you would ask for in a car - but for some messed up reason I always love to drive this car, knowing the brakes are so deliciously touchy. If you are not smoother than a Teflon coated porcelain puppy on the stop pedal, then the FT-1 will berate you with screeching tyres and a cloud of the finest P Zero Nero "rubbery mist" by that Italian designer Pirelli.

Cape Ring Periphery_8.jpg Cape Ring Periphery_7.jpg

Speed
Now All I know is the FT-1 not only smokes the Aston in terms of brakes but also single lap pace - and it wasn't really close - Not sure why, The Aston was easier to drive but the Toyota was faster - could be top speed or cornering - That said the Aston did have a speed advantage in the silly spiral bit - I didn't have the steering lock to turn the Toyota right here, but the Aston felt much more composed here. But what do I know - in reality the Toyota was faster on the uphill spiral.

Which would I have.
Now both are WIN but I really like the bold lines of the FT-1 the Aston is much more reserved -

Cape Ring Periphery_5.jpg

The FT-1 Chooses Ryk.

I ran the Aston last night, not expecting much based upon times being posted, and reviews I've read. I do like it, though. Using Cape Ring for a reference, I found it much more enjoyable and most importantly, predictable. I was able to finally figure out the first jump after the toilet bowl, where the extra weight helped it settle back down to earth. On my fastest lap, it was one of those rare times I hit all my marks with only a slight bobble at the second jump.

Ok, so its far from perfect, but the consistency and predictability the Aston shows vs. my experience with the FT-1 makes my choice easy:

Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Cape Ring TT 1:45.555 only .045 ahead of @ThrasherDBS Come on, step it up, I know you can find an extra tenth!

7YTCeQjsBb2iklZqH_0.jpg

Booted up GT6 for the first time in weeks, or maybe months, and went for a hot lap session in the FT-1.

My best time after a handful of laps was 1:16.7 and I think if I spend an hour or two, I could possibly see a high 1:15

I did not test the V12 Vantage '11 but I already had a result from a V12 Vantage '10. I was over 2 seconds slower in this car than the Toyota.

5.9L
509 hp / 6,500 rpm
421 ft-lb / 5,500 rpm
1,680 kg (3,704 lbs)
521 pp

No specs for the FT-1 and I don't have my capture card hooked up to upload its replay.

I'd rather drive the FT-1. I love everything about it. It looks crazy and accelerates even crazier.

Ok, an interesting duel this week. While the Vantage certainly sounds better in the game and has a larger engine and more compact size, the sheer power Toyota siphons out of the engine in the FT-1 certainly does wonders. The pop-up spoiler probably helped it abit in this duel. If just for style points.

However, I'm a huge fan of the Aston in real life, so I think it's brilliant none-the-less.

So, let's carry out the counting:

Toyota: 4
Aston: 1

It's safe to say the clear winner is the Toyota FT-1

toyota-ft-1-concept-3.jpg

Now, we wait on @Nismonath5 for the next duel...

*steps up to mic*
Erm... Hi guys!

So @MrWaflz55 asked me for a new duel, and luckily I have a brilliant idea...

Duel of the week 86: Ambitious, but maybe not bollocks!

Nissan-DeltaWing-racer-front-view-motion-Le-Mans-2012.jpg

The Deltawing 2012

VS

nismo3.jpg

The 2015 Nissan GT-R LM Nismo!!!!!

Here we go, two very different but equally ambitious racecars. Why are they being paired up? Simple..
-Similar PP
-Both ambitious LeMans racers
-Both Nissan powered

So go on! Give them a try and let's see which experiment will come out on top! Front wheel drive, or a revolutionary new design? (For the club event, let's go to LeMans. We have to, really. Any variation is fine.)

Well, there goes my breakfast - Yeah you have to admire people having a try to design stuff outside of the box. But for every Rotary Engined Furai you have to get a few clunkers.

The GT-R has an echo of the GT-One from Toyota with that optical illusion of a high cockpit canopy dropped onto a low slung body. But the GT-One was all sleek and fast and was mid engined goodness... the GT-R is front wheel drive... but I had these same gripes when this car came out and to be fair it wasn't that bad. - Maybe it has got better?

The DeltaWing - have to admit that I didn't like the look of this either and would pick any sportscar racecar over it. I guess this has understeer too with the narrow track of those front wheels hurting front end grip? Maybe it has some tricksy suspension numbers at the back to prevent this.

SO a classic Ugly-off.
Which of these moonfaced dribblers, is the most composed in the chicanes?
Which of these gangly donkeys, has the raw horsemeat to power down the Mulsanne?

These and other irrelevant questions will be answered after a hard day at the track and a glass of sparkling cheese and a plate of blue wine.

Last edited:
I vote for Nissan GT-R because it was the more insane LeMans attempt. Seriously, FWD in a pack of MR cars?
A FWD with a busted hybrid system if I recall correctly and yet it supposedly hit the highest speeds in the speed trap at Le Mans.

Both cars are equal parts bonkers, but the Deltawing went with a former potential Indycar design replacement as the base for their racer whilst the Nismo GTR LM had to start with a blank canvas.

Deltawing goes with a 'less is more' approach with much less weight, less drag and less power.

Nismo goes against the Status Quo with a FWD with a combined output of well over 1000hp. :eek:

So tyre wrecking understeer or lap wrecking snap oversteer?

If you can tolerate the tyre wear, my early vote goes to the Nismo, because when the QM events did a Le Mans battle and the Nismo was a choice among the many prototypes, I always picked it and I don't think I lost once in that event. :sly:

Of course I need to put some laps in both to get a better picture of the battle at hand.

And in the follow up to my previous post, I bring my results and verdicts to the masses. :P

IMG_0132.JPG

We'll start with the older of the two, The Deltawing sponsored by Nissan at Le Mans 2012. (mouthful I know :crazy:)

The Deltawing started out in life as a design replacement for Indycar and when Indycar went with the Dallara design choice over the Deltawing, they applied for a Garage 56 invitation for the 2012 Le Mans 24 hour race.

Having been accepted, they set about building it for the race, using the Carbon fibre tub from the previously raced and completely hopeless Aston Martin AMR One, a 1.6 litre turbo 4 cylinder engine from a Nissan Juke making around 300hp and a dry weight of under 500kgs.

In reality it's race was ended after being knocked off the track by one of the returning Toyotas, but it got some vindication at the Petit Le Mans race at Road Atlanta where it finished 5th overall. :bowdown:

It's fastest time at Le Mans was a 3:42.612 in qualifying, around 2 seconds slower than what I managed in GT6 which was a 3:40.359. :D

Driving the Deltawing is different and tricky, you have to be quite smooth with your steering inputs as the back can step out without warning and is tricky to catch unless you're on top of it instantly.

As for the cornering, you have to unlearn about putting the front of the car on the corner apex due to the narrow front wheelbase, you try and put the front of the car on the apex like you would in a normal car and your rear wheel will be on the other side of the kerb and you'll likely unsettle the car quite badly.

It's twitchy nature combined with a lack of power does effect its usability for most players, but unlike the Nismo you can tune the car more to suit you a little better and if you do tweak it right, It's a great endurance racer with good fuel economy and very low tyre wear. 👍

Now on to the Nissan GT-R LM Nismo, Easily the most unorthodox car to attempt Le Mans in the last decade (more so than the Deltawing.) with it being a Front engined, Front wheel drive LMP1 racer. :eek:

With a bigger engine than the Deltawing, a 3.0 litre Twin turbo V6 making roughly 500hp in reality with an EXTRA 750HP on tap from the flywheel KERS giving it a theoretical max output of 1250hp. :bowdown:

The HP in GT6 is 634hp after an oil change and I don't think that's including the power from KERS as at around 110-120mph the KERS kicks in and you'll definitely notice the difference in acceleration.

Now you're probably thinking its still a tyre shredding FF racer and yes it'll happily be so if you want, but it's still grips up quite well despite the stock setup making it slightly stiff over bumps.

Like I said earlier, With the Deltawing you can do more to modify it as you can adjust the gearing, tweak the downforce, bolt on a more powerful turbo etc, The only things you can adjust on the Nismo are some parts of the suspension, the differential and the brake bias and that's it.

Despite that, Its more predictable to drive and much faster at Le Mans, the Deltawing touched around 190mph whereas the Nismo was hitting over 210mph and it's fastest time backs that up with a 3:26.656. :D:tup:

And another thing the Nismo has over the Deltawing? It survived the 24hrs to take the chequered flag. :P (yes I know it didn't get classified and they entered more than 1 car so hardly fair but still...)

Don't consider the Deltawing a bad car as it'll still blitz any endurance race in GT6 due to its less reliance on pitstops, but if you want to be different and yet still be competitive in a predictable machine, The Nismo GTR LM is the one to pick of the two. 👍

I haven't really had much experience with these cars. It's pretty clear to me now, considering how impractical they are, especially when the TS030 and R18 are around. But I gave them a shot, had them both time travel back to 2005 in order to run on the LeMans circuit.

Circuit De La Sarthe 2005 Trial:
DeltaWing - 3:55.541
GT-R LM - 3:41.157

When an event was held in the seasonal event section to show off the GT-R LM, I really hated the car. A LeMans prototype and you made it front-wheel drive? Are you insane, Nissan? You take a desirable 4WD supercar, make a LMP out of it, and you make it, front-wheel drive. I hated how the typical front-wheel drive drawbacks were in play. When I started the trial, I spent the first five seconds with spinning and smoking tires. However, as it went on, I grew accustomed to it. I just made sure I hit the brakes plenty early to avoid making screw ups, which I did do anyway. At least it was predictable, unlike the touchy DeltaWing. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that one either. The thing is shaped like a space shuttle and has the steering finnickyness of one too. If you're not careful (and sometimes even if you are) it'll spin you around and nosedive into the nearest wall or into the sand. It's not an easy vehicle to be consistent in, and I wound up going faster in the GT-R. Hell, I lost it in the Porsche Curves on one of my laps in the GT-R, spending a bit of time in the sand trying to get back on track, and I still was able to top the DeltaWing's fastest lap on that one.

This trial has left a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth for the DeltaWing, and has made me despise the GT-R LM less. Certainly doesn't mean I'll use them again anytime soon, but still, it was interesting to put them into proper perspective now. The GT-R LM wins this one for me.

Well, not sure what happened to my DeltaWing time on the TT, but here goes with my impressions...

First off, the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO... my personal pick for the biggest insult to LeMans ever built. I will admit the innovation of having an FF drivetrain makes it distinctive, but that's where the compliments end. It's horrible to drive. If it actually handles as badly in real life as it does here in GT6, the poor drivers would suffer from nothing less than shaken baby syndrome. Which by the way is a crime... punishable by jail time.

Like seriously, WTF is with the bouncing on the straights??? The ONLY thing that should be bouncing this much is the set of double D's belonging to the stripper giving you an unforgettable lap dance the night before you marry the girl that reminds people of where Speed Week is held... the Bonneville Salt Flats!!! THEN it would be a good thing! But in a racecar, travelling 350 or so kph down the Mulsanne straights?!? UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Then there's the DeltaWing... another unique innovation. No, it's not as fast as the NISMO. But at least you don't have to worry about being shaken to death. Cornering is tricky, but given some seat time, it's manageable. Considering the 2012 edition has ONLY 300 hamsters before the oil change, it's pretty damn quick to boot. Are there other cars I'd prefer to drive? MANY!!! But considering what this DOTW had to offer... this gets my pick. Do I like it? No. But I really don't HATE it as much as that insult on wheels. DeltaWing for the win!!!

Cheers

Well another duel, and well, some interesting choices this time around. Here's my take, from an amateur's point of view:

GT-R LM
pros:
-Acceleration
-higher top speed

Cons:
-handling
-extreme bouncing (Baron nailed this)

This one is a real handful. Sure it's faster around the track, but I could not imagine doing hours of driving in this thing. I could not get consistent lap times with this one either

Deltawing
pros:
-lightweight
-more stable on the straights

cons:
-twitchy on low speed corners
-could use more power

Careful steering inputs is needed with this one, especially around slow speed corners. Once you get used to the handling, this one is not that bad. The deltawing is slower each lap, however it would be interesting to see how it does with having to pit less often. At least this one does not fatigue you while shaking you to death.

Winner: Deltawing

This week's duel was difficult. The Nismo's good points of speed and that lovely exhaust note were handicapped by the bouncing, wheelspin, and tendency to swap ends should the rear tires contact any kerb. The Delta Wing's good points of...oh, sorry, there are none.

Actually the Delta Wing isn't that bad. When I first got GT6, it was the only car I could win 24 minutes of Spa with, only by virtue of not needing to stop for fuel or tires. I tried this with the Nismo. It took me 3 attempts to win, and I'm a whole lot better than I was in 2013.

I played around with tuning the Nismo, although I for some unknown reason I put up with the front spring rate being stupid-stiff. I got the 24 minutes of Spa and Nurburgring wins. It can run the 'Ring without stopping for tires or fuel. Then I ran the 600pp touring car race at Mt. Panorama. I used the power limiter to get to 600pp, forgetting that the regs allow 650pp. It was a bullet. First place by lap 3, 200+ mph on Conrod straight, sub 2:00 lap times.

But forget all that. I was faster than @Baron Blitz Red in the TT by only .541. That clinches it for me :lol:

verdict: Nismo GT-R LM

Okay, this week we had a very interesting duel from @Nismonath5 with some interesting results. I remembered the Deltawing being very hard to control when I drove it on Silverstone the first time I got it. It takes some getting used to and a good suspension tune for me to be able to drive it. You can't go very hard in the low speed corners because of the risk of spinning out. I recommend throttle control on this car.

The GT-R LM Nismo is a very strange car with an unconventional layout. It's inherently slower than cars like the 908 HDI or the TS030 because of the layout. I very much prefer the R18 Prototype for competitive racing. FF layout means that this car has lots of problems getting the power down out of the corners. If you can get past that and let the hybrid boost kick in, this car is very quick in it's segment.

So let's tally up the votes:

Deltawing: ll
GT-R LM: llll

This week's winner is the Nissan GT-R LM Nismo!

nissan_gt-r_lm_nismo_31.jpg

(The winner of the Le Mans trial this week is @Vic Reign93 in the Deltawing and GT-R)

Seems like the Proper LMP trumped the lower-spec Deltawing in the end. I prefer the chrome one better anyways.​

But forget all that. I was faster than @Baron Blitz Red in the TT by only .541. That clinches it for me :lol:

Hopefully your birthday is coming up soon, cause that's your gift!!! :cheers:

Usually, I'd give it another go not only to get by you, but to be a lot closer to @Vic Reign93 's time... which I think I could get within 3 seconds of. But to be honest, I hated the car so much, I just gave up. So tah dah... it's yours on a silver platter along with a good size chunk of the triple triple chocolate orgasm cake the local bakery does up. (that is the real name of it btw :lol:)

In all sincerity though... you are getting better and better as you go. Keep it up and I might be permanently chasing you instead of trying to keep track of you in my mirrors every once in a while... it's why I gave you a vote in recent memory! :bowdown:

Cheers

GT6 Duel of the Week #87: Momma Mia!

This week, we're moving away from the realm of Hypercars and Le Mans Prototypes to take a closer look at two entry-level machines. They're both Mid Engined, they're both Italian, they're both Supercars. Let's welcome this week's competitors.

(I'm surprised it's taken me this long to get around to this duel)

The Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 '08 vs The Ferrari 430 Scuderia '07

8501140960_302ba439c2_z.jpg

Sure, the Gallardo might have more firepower, but does the Ferrari have enough precision to take the win here? Technicality or Speed?

This week's time trial will be held on my own special little course, so stay tuned for when the time trial is released! Now excuse me, I need to go Beater or Sleeper for a bit.

Last edited:
Sorry to miss the last one! I did have a few laps in the GTR but then I got a bit mental with the looks...

xiqfsdw3zpdcvq20zbpd.jpg

Nope even with its scarlet bodywork stripped off, the GT-R is a munter.

On the plus side because of this duel, I have bought a my very first Nissan Deltawing powered by Nissan in a Deltawing for LeMans 2012 by Nissan in the shape of a deltawing thing a ling long a ding dong.
Yet to turn a wheel in the deltawing - but after all the above posts I guess I will enjoy the extra portions of oversteer it has.

Good posts guys.

Last edited:
Hopefully your birthday is coming up soon, cause that's your gift!!! :cheers:

In all sincerity though... you are getting better and better as you go. Keep it up and I might be permanently chasing you instead of trying to keep track of you in my mirrors every once in a while... it's why I gave you a vote in recent memory! :bowdown:

Cheers

Thanks, buddy! I doubt you'll need that kevlar vest you talked about this week....I've been practicing in free run mode, and struggling to get below 1:40 with either car. Please, at least tell me you're on RH tires. :nervous:

See you tonight 👍

Back