GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well in my hands, the Concept I feels better in control around the track, especially after the first few laps... it almost "feels" like it needed 3-4 laps for the tires to warm up. After that, it settled down quite nicely whereas the Type II never really did.

Yep, I thought the same. I was able to build up a bit of rhythm in the Type 1 which I could not in the other one....I mean the other 2...wait, there's one one other one, not two....Ok humor aside, I think the 1 has a bit more understeer, which for me means I can work on my line through a turn, as well as a bit of handbrake, to get the car around and on its way. Usually rotation is good, but my impressions of the 2 was that lack of rear grip got it to turn and then slide, and then smoke the tires. Consequently I had no consistency in the TT and was left wondering when, exactly, was I going to spin.

I also got to within .300 of Baron's time in the 1, while I didn't do so good in the other one. I mean 2.

Type 1 1:26.182

Type 2 1:27.279

Verdict: Mazda RX-8 Concept (Type 1)

Okay, this week we featured the same car? Wait, WHAT!

BUT! On further inspection it was revealed that both cars were actually quite different. The Type 1 featured better paint and more incomplete styling, but the Type 2 is more production-ready and has some arguably better handling. I thought the Type 1 felt better in terms of handling and speed. If that makes any sense. I like the smoother look of the concept too, very late 90's feel. Not much more to talk about, other than this week was some seriously strange duel.

So, let's tally up the votes...

Type 1: 4
Type 2: 2

So with that, the Type 2 gets a fitting amount of 2 votes, and the winner is the...

Mazda-RX-8_Concept-2001-ig.jpg

Mazda RX-8 Concept (Type 1)!!!

Congladurashions to @Baron Blitz Red for doing the fast in this week's TT's.

Now, it's onto some more concept cars. I said this week was coming weeks ago, so buckle up your anticipation pants and don't kill me too much.​

Filth!
So RX-8 Concept Version 1 versus RX-8 Concept Version II

Which is best... the original or the sequel?

Star Wars : A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back?
Alien or Aliens
The Terminator or Terminator 2
Timbuk or Timbuktu

SO what is different about them?

Colour - Camellia Red vs RX8 Yellow

Have to give this one to the "Ichi" - the Camellia Red has a nice subtle pearl sheen to it Not full a TVR "Reflex" level but you never go full reflex. Yellow is good but trumped by the fancy Red.

Everything else is the same.. save for a dark arts suspension setting which someone has mentioned... but I will ignore to see if my driving skills will back up what is different (I can't prove it, but it is a scientific fact.)

SO to the track. With the Type 1 slightly ahead of the Type 2.

rx82a.jpg

And as I bought them in order the first car up is the Version 2 (The Yellow one) I had trouble finding a Deep Forest event... GT300... sounds fair.

Nice car, good balance easy rotation all in all pretty good. 1m27.2 (6m02.5)

rx82b.jpg

So the Red car (Version 1)
For me, there was nothing too dramatically different other than I found the 'sweet spot' balance of the car off the bat, so didn't have any power sliding silliness. 1m27.4 (6m00.9)

rx81b.jpg

The times are pretty close but the Red car was involved in a much closer race, and didn't benefit from many slip steaming moments as the Yellow car.

Which would Ryk pick?

The RX-8 Concept (Episode 1)
It has a unique paint chip, which is stand out without being gaudy.
The Version 1 also has some louvered bits on the top of the bonnet near the windscreen, which, if you were an engine pervert, would let you look into the engine bay for a naughty peek of some intake manifold.
Pure Filth.
rx81a.jpg

Last edited:
GT6 Duel of the Week 2 #97: Get a LIFE!

Here's a duel completely out of left field. This week won't be featuring the FT-1! Instead, we're featuring two K-Cars for the first time in a while. Both are from the 70's too! One has double the horsepower, while the other has half the weight. They both have pretty even torque too.

Let's welcome the...

honda-life-step-van-01.jpg

Honda LIFE Step Van!

14a4082a7c0a30465cfd9ee845e9ef77.jpg

and the Subaru 360!

This week's time trial will be held on the streets of Tokyo at nighttime, the Clubman Route 5 stage to be more specific. Which of these incredibly slow cars will be fastest? Join the time trial going up soon to find out!

My experience with the LIFE van can be summed up in one picture:

7VmuIBnqvFs4w44Tua_0.jpg

So yeah. I'll vote for the Life van anyways, since it's been a pretty reliable work horse outside of...whatever happened up there.

(photo is mine. I legitimately do not remember how that happened)

1064906_10200292749267039_672579237_o.jpg

1040378_10200269354242178_1651353973_o.jpg

Honda Life Step Van '72
0.4L
29 hp / 8,000 rpm
21 ft-lb / 6,000 rpm
605 kg (1,334 lbs)
245 pp

Subaru 360 '58

0.4L
14 hp / 4,500 rpm
22 ft-lb / 3,000 rpm
385 kg (849 lbs)
241 pp

The Honda is 14 years newer, with 15 more horses but 1 ft-lb of torque less than the Subaru, and has nearly 500 lbs of extra metal.

Aaaand the Subaru gets destroyed. Mostly because it topped out at 50 mph. Yes, 50 mph. Meanwhile the Honda can do 62 mph. A massive 12 mph difference.

Give me the Honda any day!

Well at least it isn't the FT-1 again in such a short timespan.

Kinda understanding why people react the way they do whenever someone nominates a Mustang on the Cool Wall.

Kei cars can be fun little go-karts on the track. (Though sometimes they feel like they're about as quick as those mobility scooters you see fat people riding around in.) Today we have the old Honda Life Step Van, and the even older Subaru 360. Which one prevails?

GT Arena Trial:
Life - 0:39.340
360 - 0:41.503

I'll put it in these simple terms:

Choose Life.

Choose higher power. Choose the newer model. Choose the heavier car. Choose 4-doors. Choose white-walled tires. Choose the car who feels a little more stable, but in the grand scheme of things doesn't differ itself much from the other car, because they're both low-powered as it is. Choose the car I picked to win the pickup trial, even though it wasn't even a pickup.

Choose Life.

Life - 0:39.340

What the....you beat me by five thousandths of a second? I think that might set the record for closest times! Yep I agree on Life. The Subaroo navigates the little arena track better, but with 16hp it didn't stand a chance.

At least I'm faster in the Subaru. :lol:

My times:
Subaru 360 '58 0:41.082
Get a Life Step Van 0:39.345

Verdict: Life
(wow that sounds like one of those 'Snapped' TV shows )

Not been able to test either car, and as I remember praising the Step Van Previously I thought I would plug the unloved 360 - often put in the shade by the 430 and the more recent 458 models...

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a chunky big television, Choose washing machines, cars, 8 track players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of chintzy fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the cluck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing vegan junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable nursing home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, messed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourselves.
Choose your future. Choose life . . .
But why would I want to do a thing like that?
I chose not to choose life: I chose Subaru.

And the reasons? Just look at it!

subaru-360-ad.jpg

Welp, on paper this week was a close duel, the Honda life has double the horsepower of the Subaru, but it weighs twice as much. Torque was nearly identical. But when we got to the track it turned out the Subaru had some...

...minor* major gearing issues.

You all voted nearly unanimously for the Honda Life Step Van, to the point where the phrase "choose life" was trendy around this thread.

So the winner of this week is unsurprisingly fitting with the title of this week.

IMG_2143.JPG

The Honda LIFE Step Van!
(congrats to @Draggon for the best Subaru 360 time, and @ThrasherDBS for the best time of his LIFE!)

I wonder what next week will be? It's not much of a surprise, you can read it in the OP, so until next time always choose LIFE!

Last edited:
GT6 Duel of the Week #98: Tiny Sports Car Competition!

Alright, for this week we are returning to Japan yet again, but we're upping the ante, and horsepower, and weight, and price, and torque, and aerodynamics, and fuel consumption. We're yet again featuring another Honda vehicle!

But wait! From the isles of "Cheerio, Good Sir", comes a challenger with significantly less power, and weight, and torque. It's from Lotus! Ohohohoh, another F1 duel it seems, so let's get our simplified lightness on this week, shall we?

Introducing the...

2004_lotus_elise_111r__gran_turismo_5__by_vertualissimo-d4xpreb.jpg

Lotus Elise 111R

003-2006-honda-s2000.jpg

against the Honda S2000 (premium)

So, we'll be dropping the tops on these F1-inspired machines at Silverstone National. Look out for the snappy handling of the Elise. It can get you if you're not careful. I anticipate the S2000 will be the easier of the two to drive this week, but maybe not the most rewarding! :cool:

Ryk
Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a chunky big television, Choose washing machines, cars, 8 track players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of chintzy fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the cluck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing vegan junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable nursing home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, messed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourselves.
Choose your future. Choose life . . .
But why would I want to do a thing like that?
I chose not to choose life: I chose Subaru.

I'm glad someone got my Trainspotting reference. 👍

Weekend shenanigans and Vic's obviously eventual victory aside, I'm gonna make my post about the duel at hand this week.

Last week's duel had to do with the difference between weight and power. The same goes for this duel as well. The Life had more power than the lighter Subaru, so what's the outcome this time?

Silverstone National Trial:
Elise - 1:05.774
S2000 - 1:07.157

The degree as to whether less weight, or more power will triumph over the other depends on exactly what the ratio of the difference is. At super low power, 10-12 more horsepower will make all the difference. Kick the scale up higher, and 40 more horsepower won't make a lick of difference between 400 more kilos of weight.

The Elise wins.

Welp, the race is off tonight. Turns out people want to bingewatch "13 Reason Why" on Netflix on the very PS3 you were going to use to race tonight even though they've already seen it before, and the episodes are an hour long, and they're going to be up well past midnight bingewatching even though they started at 7:00PM around here. Not to mention it's the only TV in the place really.

My, oh my. I'd certainly love to watch a depressing drama about teen suicide instead of racing with the people I said I'd be on with tonight, that's how I'd love to spend my weekend nights.

ARRRGH! To make it even worse, one of the songs from the show is the same one Polyphony used in the GT Sport E3 2016 Trailer! ARRRRRGH! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Looks like we can't do it tomorrow because of Mother's Day either.​

Back