GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know how you guys cope with wheelspin using the DS3. It was more frustrating than fun this week. I was glad to get the Yellow Bird and F40 trials over with, and refused to give either one a second shot. The RUF was just way too heavy in the back end, when it wasn't oversteering it was lighting up the tires. The Ferrari could have been better but for the turbo lag, which caused me to go ever so cautiously out of the turns. Good grief I would hope the 1:1 doesn't drive like that. The Lambo was, as described by @Baron Blitz Red the easiest to drive and also rewarded me with the most consistent times. I'm also just .140 shy of Baron. Hmm.........

RUF Yellow Bird (poop) 1:18.387
Lamborghini Countach 1:17.612
Ferrari F40 1:17.469

While the Ferrari was fastest, still the verdict goes to:
Lamborghini Countach '88

F45 vs Countach vs CTR

Look at this... Pop up headlamps, lots of juicy oversteer, Silly rear wings, A David Hasselhoff on the stereo cassette player, a Feu Orange car freshner hanging from the rear view mirror, A slinky blonde in the bucket seat next to you.

feu orange.jpg
Feu Orange in 1987, Yesterday.​

*** Round 1 *** Looks ***

The Yellowbird (Up high in Banana Tree?) ... has a very old (I mean Classic) organic style to it. Simple streamlined - uber Volkswagon.
over911.jpg
Ruf CTR, being Ruf CTR. Yesterday.​

The Countach - now it is the epitome of the 80's BIG strakes, big bolt on wings, Big bolt on Carburretor on the top of the 'wrong way round' V12- which blocks the view out of the - not so big - rear window... This car is everything that a wall without a car poster, wants.

The F40 - Now at the time it was a light detour for Ferrari to produce a car that was pretty stunted in terms of style. Simple honest lines with loads of National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics scoops. I really don't like the style of the rear wing and those uprights.
overtrio1.jpg
Pop Up Headlamps, Yesterday.​

Countach 10 - Neinleven 8 - Effhorttee 7​

*** Round 2 *** Price ***

Now in the eighties people were vapid and so you would get more respect by having a stupid expensive/exclusive car. But as I am not working for Pierce and Pierce I'll stick to my GT6 scoring where the cheapest wins.

Countach - 182,000
Neinleven - 236,630
Effhorttee - 450,000

overtrio5.jpg
Countach - The thrifty choice. Yesterday​

Wow, The Ferrari obviously is more expensive as it has the little prancing pony badge, but when you can buy both of the other cars and still have 32,000 kazula spare you have to conceed that the Fezza is a bit pricey.

Countach 10(20) ++ Neinleven 8(16) ++ Effhorttee 5(12)​

*** Round 3 *** Powah ***

Countach - 448bhp
Neinleven - 462bhp
Effhorttee - 478bhp

30bhp splits these three. But the Best is the Ferrari.
overf45.jpg

Countach 8(28) ++ Neinleven 9(25) ++ Effhorttee 10(22)​

*** Round 4 *** Displacement ***

Countach - 5167cc
Neinleven - 3366cc
Effhorttee - 2936cc

There is no replacement for displacement - except if you have a forced induction engine.

Countach 10(38) ++ Neinleven 7(32) ++ Effhorttee 6(28)​

*** Round 5 *** Take it to the Limit. ***

Countach - 7800rpm
Neinleven - 7500rpm
Effhorttee - 8000rpm

Everyone loves high revs and the Ferrari V8 spins the crank faster.

Countach 9(47) ++ Neinleven 8(40) ++ Effhorttee 10(38)​

*** Round 6 *** Paint chips ***

Countach - 4
Neinleven - 1
Effhorttee - 1

Even though the Lamborghini has, what on any other week would be a boring selection of just 4 chips, it destroys the other two. At least you can respray all three cars in a colour of your choice. (British Racing Green - Obviously)

Countach 10(57) ++ Neinleven 6(46) ++ Effhorttee 6(44)​

*** Round 7 *** Toot Toot Beep Beep ***

Countach - Enigmatic and iconic
Neinleven - Chirpy and crisp as an apple strudel
Effhorttee - Wow, was this from the Fiat Strada spare parts bin? Boring.

The Lamborghini overpowers the other two with its elite beep.

Countach 10(67) ++ Neinleven 8(54) ++ Effhorttee 8(52)​

*** Round 8 *** The Hateful Weight ***

Countach - 1490kg
Neinleven - 1150kg
Effhorttee - ????kg - Why keep it secret Ferrari? - Effhorttee actual weight ... 1352kg

Extra point off for making me have to dig about to find the weight. Winner is the slender hips of the Ruf. The bloated Pagani Countach has piled on those pounds so it still rocks up in last place.

over911f40.jpg
Ruf CTR. All Light and stuff. Yesterday.​

Countach 6(73) ++ Neinleven 10(64) ++ Effhorttee 7(59)​

*** Round 9 *** Cylinders ***

Countach - V12
Neinleven - flat 6
Effhorttee - V8

No fifth order engine layout (Straight 5 or a V10) - but 12 is like 8 but with 4 more! And twice as many as the air cooled Porsche - er - Ruf.

Countach 12(85) ++ Neinleven 6(70) ++ Effhorttee 8(67)​

*** Round 10 *** Lashings of Rubber ***

Let's go to Willow Springs. But let's slap on some Sport Soft tyres and see what happens...

All three chew up the tyres, If you lean on the outside left tyre, it will melt away, fast. This in turnwill make the car much more tail happy and so you will chew those rear tyres even more.

Countach - 19 points left
Neinleven - 20 points left
Effhorttee - 18 points left

overlamfer.jpg

To be fair all three have the ability to destroy your race but for me the Ruf had the edge on tyre wear, the F45 (Thinking about it Ferrari was founded in 1947... and this car says 1992... so (Holds up fingers and starts counting them off) that makes the car the F45?) had the worst Tyre eating tendencies despite its low weight and thick 50 points of Negative Lift from that rear wing.

Countach 9(94) ++ Neinleven 10(80) ++ Effhorttee 8(75)​

*** Round 10 *** Strawberry Fuel ***

All three were slightly beyond being able to pull a none stop race. The German car was more efficient with the petrol, while the Italian cars were more flamboyant with thier fuel intake.

Countach - needed 13 more buckets
Neinleven - needed 6 more buckets
Effhorttee - needed 14 more buckets

Countach 7(101) ++ Neinleven 10(90) ++ Effhorttee 6(81)​

*** Round 11+12 *** Willow Springs 20 miles (of oversteer) ***

All three were great. Having to go fast but also balance the car perfectly otherwise you brutalise the rear tyres. And if you ever get into some door handle bashing, then all three of these cars are at risk of getting spun out - SO you have to be extra careful to sidestep any contact. That said, the Ferrari had the edge to make the best speed but it also fell off the cliff in terms of tyre wear which destroyed any chance it had of being fastest over a race distance. The Countach was surprisingly tidy - Those big fat rear tyres keeping its oversteer in check compared to the other two houligans!

Countach - 12m05 - 1m23.2
Neinleven - 12m07 - 1m23.7
Effhorttee - 12m25 - 1m22.6

overlamb.jpg

Countach 10+8(119) ++ Neinleven 9+7(106) ++ Effhorttee 6+10(97)

---

Winner Lamborghini Countach.
I've no idea why it is as fast and composed as it is in GT6 as it should be the biggest dog since "Digby, The Biggest Dog in the World." (1973).

Last edited:
So, I hope you all had a fantabulous Easter weekend, I'll give anyone who still hadn't written anything until Tuesday evening to write something.

We also need entries for our third bonus stage! European touring cars. I'm thinking of snagging up the M3 GTR or maybe the M3 GT2 right now myself.

I'd really encourage anyone who hasn't bothered entering a bonus stage to give it a go, they're quite fun and it's some pretty good clean racing with stock machines.

Last edited:
Having just spent a solid few hours behind the wheel of the F40 in preparation for COTW (Tuesday 10pm CST, see you there :D), I can now put in a few words regarding each car... (without the fancy wordplay, because I'm on my phone and I have to make do.)

THE NOT-911
Rear engine, rear wheel drive, means the rear likes to take a peek at every corner you exit. Not undriveable, but try racing it with no TCS, no ASM and no ABS like I did and you'll find yourself holding your breath through every corner and complex!

THE COUNTA-
It really needs that rear wing to really top it off and add the -CH, amiright? No matter. The Countach is my personal least-favourite as far as what I'd rather drive, but I found it to be the easiest to manage of the three. Again, no TCS, no ASM and no ABS makes for a wild ride, just make sure the front tyres are pinned down through a corner before asking the rear to follow!

40 WAYS TO DIE
The F40 proved to be the most fearsome for me. As with the others, zero assistance from the car meant that I really had to grab the car by the scruff of the neck. A bit of turbo lag, a mean tenancy to tank-slap, and temperamental brakes made the F40 a real b:censored:ch to drive, for both me and my Dad! But after about 30 laps of Mid-Field, we both had it pretty well covered.

Mastering any of these three with no aids will no doubt sprout manly hairs on your chest, but all in all I say the Countach was the least fearsome to drive and therefore earns my vote 👍

40 WAYS TO DIE

You've called that one right.

A slight update to my review of the F40. Nismo set up a TT at High Speed Ring for the COTW group with 20% surface water. Something is wrong with how PD did the physics on this one. The front-rear balance of grip is much better in the wet. It can still swap ends, but it just smacks you good, it doesn't try to kill you. Reminds me of the Audi streamliner, and how much better it is with a grade lower tires on the front.

Okay, so it's a bit more of a traditional week here at DOTW. Three old-ish cars going up against each other for European 80's Supercar Supremacy.

Let's start with the RUF. In my opinion, perhaps the more difficult of the three for handling. Having the RR layout can cause the car to feel like a pendulum in the corners sometimes. Overall, good top speed and acceleration with good styling, but let down by the archaic layout in this duel. This car on average achieved the slowest laptimes.

The Lamborghini sort of feels like a bridge from the RUF to the Ferrari in terms of pace, constantly in the middle for laptimes, this recently updated premium car has classic wedge styling and some decent potential for lapping consistently.

Finally, the car that gets my vote is the Ferrari. Amazing looks topped off in bright Ferrari red, this car is the fastest around the track, but features trickier handling than the Lamborghini. The F40 averaged faster than the RUF and Lamborghini by a few hundredths of a second. Beware the turbochargers.

Now, let's count up the votes...

Ferrari: 2
Lamborghini: 4
RUF: 0

In a twist, the surprising winner of this duel wasn't necessarily the fastest around the track. This week's winner is the...

1978-1982-lamborghini-countach-lp400-s-838_8098_969X727.jpg

Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary!!!
(congrats @BenMillard for the best RUF time, @Baron Blitz Red for the best F40 and Countach times.)

Looks like the Fighting Bull took it's revenge from the Prancing Horse this week. But don't unbuckle those seatbelts just yet... Another duel will soon be headed in your direction down the Mulsanne at around 400km/h!​

Last edited:
GT6 Duel of the Week #95: Return to Le Mans!

It's been a while since we've travelled back in time to look at the historic racing cars of the late 80's and early 90's. These are the performance machines that define racing as we know it today. While Formula One was always the uppermost echelon of open-wheel racing, these were once the kings of their own turf. Prototype racing today can trace it's roots back to the historic Group C series. These vehicles were made of the most advanced materials and featured some of the most powerful engines at the time. The Porsche 962, for example, had a top speed of around 404km/h with low downforce. These numbers were unheard of in road cars of the time.

Along with the incredible speed of the sport berthed some legendary rivalries between manufacturers with everything to lose. These cars were expensive to develop, and everyone wanted to prove that they knew how to make the fastest, most reliable cars in the world. Two such manufacturers involved in this risky game were Nissan and Mazda. The former wanting to expand upon their results in the All-Japan Sports Prototype Competition, and the Latter out to prove that a Rotary engine could take the victory at Le Mans. The Nissan experienced mixed results in a heated competition with the Mazda MXR-01 and the Toyota TS010. The Mazda 787B went on to gold at the prestigious 1991 24 Hours of Le Mans, where the R92CP never set foot.

The experience learned from these cars would go on to be used in vehicles we see now in Gran Turismo 6, such as the Mazda LM55, a tribute to the Number 55 Mazda 787B that won the '91 race, and the Nissan GT-R LM Nismo, which experienced poor results in real life, but unchained in a virtual environment, it can hold it's own against most other prototypes as demonstrated by Vic in one of our Bonus Stages.

Now, it's time for you to decide which Group C race car is worthy of the praise today. Let's bring forth the...

Mazda-787B_mp34_pic_43712.jpg

Mazda 787B!!!

and the

maxresdefault.jpg

Nissan R92CP!!!

In a twist, the track this week will be the Circuit de Spa Francochamps, another high-speed circuit known for it's extremely fast stretches and long, sweeping corners. These two monsters may have never met in real life, but they're here in GT6 now, so let's find out what's what. :cheers:

@MrWaflz55 I managed to get a time down for the Mazda 787B on the trial, but the trial won't let the Nissan in. The reason the room cited for that was because the only two manufacturers allowed are Mazda and Nismo.

Just wanted to bring that to your attention.

All that good stuff's fixed. Have fun with that over the weekend. Have a good weekend in general.

Also, please sign up for our third bonus stage "European Touring Cars". It's only me and @Draggon for now, so we could use some extra competition.

Last edited:
@MrWaflz55 I just tried it again, still tells me that the Nissan isn't allowed in. The regulations still say Mazda and Nismo only.

I remember pressing Nissan and then pressing "Apply changes".

Must be my internet then. I can think of no other explanation. I played some GT6 after setting it too.

You'll just need to wait for when I get home, which will be soonish.

I suggest we are given the next week for this triplet to time trial them since the club had problems till yesterday.

Shots of Sake at the Spa...

7BYrc6a.jpg

So this week's duel takes us all to my home of Spa, with 2 very different and very capable LMP class race cars. Let's start off with the more famous of the two, shall we...

wnOxne9.jpg

The Mazda 787B... after 18 years of Mazda racing at LeMans, this was the car to allow a JDM entry to finally win the prestigious 24 hour event. Of course here in GT6, we get the winning #55 car in all of its Premium status glory... it's quite the looker with it's outlandish and instantly recognisable livery, and the sound of her is one of the best in the game. Fitting cause the real car's sound is astonishing.

With the 4 rotor Wankel engine giving just about a 1:1 power to kg ratio after the obligatory oil change, she is fast. In its stock form however, she can be a little dicey if you don't have some degree of throttle control. Not totally unmanageable, she came across the line for me at 2:03.133.

GMrfhOb.jpg

Next up, the Nissan R92CP... outdoing the Mazda in numbers for power, torque, and PP value, you'd think this would be even more tricky to drive. Thankfully no. I actually found it to be more stable in cornering and powering out of the twists and turns that my all time favourite course has to offer. I managed a time of 2:02.149 with her.

Now, I have more experience with the 787 in my hands by far...the looks and the sound might have had something to do with that. But the Nissan genuinely surprised me. I actually prefer it over the premium status car... kind of makes me wonder what it could have done at LeMans if they didn't disallow turbocharged engines at the time.

All in all, the Nissan gets my vote this week... as surprising as that may be. I was pretty well sure the Nissan never stood a chance, but after actually driving it, it won't be going back to the Stockyard from whence it came.

Now as for some other racing...

I'll be going with a very stylish and fashionable car that matches my outfit this time around. May I present to you the...

JMIOjlE.jpg

TkXxKO4.jpg

TkXxKO4.jpg

MUAHAHAHA!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Managed to get both trials done this week... somehow. I was half expecting another run on Circuit de la Sarthe 2005 again, but actually a run on Spa is actually a lot more refreshing. (After the week I've had, spending some time at a Spa of some definition was what I've needed.)

Spa-Francorchamps Trial:
787B - 2:05.844
R92CP - 2:04.480

That's interesting how the Nissan was a lot quicker in my hands than the Mazda. The Mazda has the glory of being the only Japanese car (and the only rotary) ever to win the 24 hours of LeMans. The Nissan proved quicker somehow. I don't recall much about one's behavior over the other, but I guess it was down to the power difference. I mean, 938 versus 790, that's a fair bit of a gap.

The R92CP wins this for me.

LeMans Legends!!!!!

Ronda.jpg

I like these two cars. I like these two cars a lot. Not gonna dilly-dally with ado, let's get straight into it!

The R92CP
Syracuse - Night.jpg

The ultimate Nissan, the R92CP packs way more power than the 787B. Just under 1000bhp with only an oil change, coming from a 3.5 twin turbo V8. It's also nice and light at 900kgs, meaning it achieves a power to weight of under 1kg per bhp. When racing, it feels a bit stiff, almost like the suspension's far too hard... even on a reatively soft setting. This is more than made up for with raw POWEEERRRRRRR!!!! It still manages to set some amazing lap times, and is a thrilling ride every time! It sounds great, but doesn't rev as high as it does in GT4, I've noticed. It's also cheaper than the 787B, at $1,920,000. This may be partly due to the fact that visually, it's a bit rough around the edges, and doesn't have an interior, but overall it isn't horribly recreated. If you're a diehard fan of this beast, such as myself, you don't mind (Although you freaking wish it was premuim, wouldn't that be a dream come true!)

Sadly, the real life #1 R92CP crashed in spectacular fashion at Fuji...

The 787B
Syracuse - Night_1.jpg

Anyone who even remotely follows Prototype racing will know this beast. It's quad rotor noise will forever go down as one of the most orgasmic sounds on the planet, both at idle and at full scream. The last hurrah as far as rotaries in LeMans is concerned, it packs much less power, but also much less weight. 790bhp and 830kgs makes for a power to weight of only 1.05kg per bhp. It's also been blessed with complete and fully-detailed re-creation, giving it the looks to match the sound. Like the R92CP, it revs higher in GT4 than it does in GT6... Why is that? But still, driving it, it feels firm, but not overly firm like the R92CP. Plenty of aerodynamic grip, rapid acceleration, and the look of a fearsome prototype! Being a rotary, it lacks torque, and relies on high revs to go fast. And boy, does it go fast! It is the more expensive option, at $2,100,000, but really, does that matter to you? Of course not. It's a freaking 787B!

Two very desireable LeMans titans, but all things considered I have to vote for the R92CP on this one! Powerful, fearsome and a Nissan! :D

Last edited:
Stay positive - after all when life gives you Lemans...

Okay so in The Red White and Blue corner we have the Nissan R92CP
and in the Orange and Green corner we have the Mazda 787B

maznisheader.jpg

The Mazda has a heavy looking gravitas about it.. twin headlamps and it look like it was carved out of a block of pure metal. From the side there is a line that always give me the chills...

mazline.jpg

(Picture insert of this emotional line that Makes Ryk feel all mushy inside!)

The livery is iconic Clown Shoes Renown stuff... Did Ryk say Clown Shoes? - Go waste 10 minutes on the YouTube searching through Japanese Renown Adverts.... I think they were trying to sell something... maybe radioactive teleportation watermelons for American kids on school buses... Maybe a disaster warning for an attack by three, 250 foot tall American Lay-dees!, skipping through San Francisco like Gojira and chums...
(Maybe Zoolander was a documentary after all.) But, I think Renown were trying to sell clothes... It could have been some bizarre way to nerve staple the population. Anyway they managed to get lucky when they sponsored Mazda... and got a win.

The R92CP - after Nissan withdrew from The World Stage they kept plugging away at home refining the R89 into the R90 and then R91 into the R92CP ("C" for Group C and "P" for being built at the Oppama plant in Yokosuka, obviously.) It has a flying Mirror on the drivers side A Pillar - that is very Ferrari Testarossa.
1985-ferrari-testarossa-inline4-photo-598064-s-original.jpg
A Flying Mirror, Yesterday​

The other mirror is built into the offside wheel cowling giving the car a bit of a bodged together feel. The front of the car is a bit slimmer in the headlamp area letting the car have a bit more space for intakes. But the back of the car has a big airscoop snorkel to cool the rear brakes rather than having smaller scoops nearer the wheels.

Speed -
Well for me the turbo powered V8 was easier to drive than the Mazda which I found to be very vague in corners. Maybe over a few laps I'd get the feel of the balance for the Mazda but off the bat it did feel a bit wishy washy. The Nissan was much more eager. Power Oversteer at 150mph through Pouhon is always nice. Have to admit I did find both of them avoided understeersville. so a win for both in a way.

Looks -
I like the front flips behind the headlamps on the Nissan, but the Mazda has a much cleaner look with "nice" lines to it.

mazniss02.jpg

Livery -
Red White and Blue slabs vs. Harlequin Clown Shoes -
They are both Iconic. But The Mazda is one of those amazing moments a Brand New chassis 787B-002, raced for the first time and it wins some little race in France, so it promptly gets placed in a vitrine of 5% formaldehyde and put on display. "The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living" (Oddly also placed in a museum/ art gallery in 1991)

Sound
Now the R26B wankel has a nice enough note to it, but the Grandpa to the McLaren Emmpeefourdashtwelvecee's 3.5 litre V8 sounds, a bit naff in GT6 - when you get up to speed, the engine creates a nasty looping artifact that would get on my nerves at any track with a long straight... good job they never raced it at LeMans eh!

Which wins?

mazniss1.jpg

This is a tough one. On one hand the Mazda has a really clean look to it, a One and Done victorious livery that is an Icon and it sounds good too.
Or you have a car that smushed all in the All Japanese Sports Prototype Championship and in GT6 is faster and easier to drive. On the track the Mazda is slower compared to the Nissan but...
And it is a big but.
I can drive around handling problems but a dodgy engine note will always be irritating to me.

Win for the Mazda 787B

A very exciting duel this week, a return to the top level of Closed-Wheel racing for us. The Group C cars are an iconic bunch, so I'll reveal what I think of these two in our duel.

The 787B is the better handling of the two in my opinion. It manages it's low weight and high power very well for a group C car. Not to mention it looks pretty great too. The engine note is an area of strength for this car too, one of the best in the game. Personally I'd choose this car if I was showing off more.

The Nissan is a little harder to drive, but still very capable of getting very fast laps in. It has more torque too, which is certainly useful in tackling the Mulsanne. I prefer the Blue, White and Red livery over the Mazda's, probably because I just like those colours more. It looks aggressive with all sorts of fiddly-bits over the exterior to help with downforce.

Personally, I choose the R92CP if I want to go fast, so it gets my vote here.

Let's tally 'er up!
Missan: 4
Nazda: 2

The winner of this week's Le Mans showdown is the...

NR_R92CP-Y.jpg

...Nissan R92CP!!!
(yay to @Baron Blitz Red for doing the good in this week's time trial!

So, the Mighty have fallen, the Mazda might have won if it was the Stealth Model version, but we may get to that one later! So, looks like the Nissan might have had the stuff to win Le Mans after all...

See you all soon with another duel!

GT6 Duel of the Week #96: Conceptual RX-8s!

Moving away from racing cars this week, the style of vehicles we'll be looking at are concepts in this duel. But not just any concepts, two based on the same car apparently? Well, we all know the Mazda RX-8. It's the go-to practical rotary car and we've know that for a decade now. But there was a time before the road car we all know and love was introduced where these two visions were all that kept fans tided over before launch.

Let's see how these two cars compare to each other on the virtual racetrack. Are they identical, what are their differences? Let's find out!

Introducing two concepts from Mazda. The...​

478.jpg

Mazda RX-8 Concept (Type I)!!!

...and the...

Mazda_RX-8_Concept_(Type-II)_'01.jpg

Mazda RX-8 Concept (Type II)!!!

It's time to see which type is better, one or two? The time trial this week will not be messed up, and it will be held at Deep Forest Raceway, so the virtual cars will be stacked up on a fictional track! See you in the time trial!

The time trial this week will not be messed up, and it will be held at Deep Forest Raceway, so the virtual cars will be stacked up on a fictional track! See you in the time trial!​

Well I can't say the Time Trial is messed up, 'cause there is none... you have it set up as a Free Run. :lol: No times will be recorded, and nobody will win. Your tire selection is also set up to Race Hards... did you mean Sport Hards??? :odd:

Cheers

Well in my hands, the Concept I feels better in control around the track, especially after the first few laps... it almost "feels" like it needed 3-4 laps for the tires to warm up. After that, it settled down quite nicely whereas the Type II never really did.

Let's see if the actual stats show any differences, shall we...

RX-8 Concept Type I:

654x2 cc
294 hp/8,500 rpm
188.8 ft-lbs/7,500 rpm

Length: 170.3
Width: 70.1
Height: 52.4
Weight: 1,200 kg

Stock Suspension:

RH: 160/160
SR: 3.84/4.41
DC: 1/1
DE: 1/1
AB: 1/1
CA: 0.5/1.5
TA: 0.00/0.60

Stock Transmission:

1st: 3.760
2nd: 2.269
3rd: 1.645
4th: 1.257
5th: 1.000
6th: 0.843
FG: 3.909
'
Stock Differential:

5/20/10

RX-8 Concept Type II:

654x2 cc
294 hp/8,500 rpm
188.8 ft-lbs/7,500 rpm

Length: 174.2
Width: 69.7
Height: 52.8
Weight: 1,200 kg

Stock Suspension:

RH: 125/125
SR: 3.84/4.07
DC: 1/1
DE: 1/1
AB: 1/1
CA: 0.5/1.5
TA: 0.00/0.60

Stock Transmission:

1st: 3.760
2nd: 2.369
3rd: 1.758
4th: 1.397
5th: 1.150
6th: 0.933
FG: 3.909
'
Stock Differential:

5/20/10

So, between the two concepts, there are only very subtle differences in the Length, Width, Height, Ride Height (Biggest difference), Rear Spring Rate and Gear Ratios. In my testing, I only saw about a 0.2 second difference in times, with the Type I being the "fastest" of the two.

Both cars offer nothing in the way of customisation... no painting, no changing of rims, no nothing. That alone seals the fate of which car gets my vote this week... I HATE yellow cars, and since I can't paint it, the winner is the Type I Concept. So now that's done, both can be buried in the Stockyard, never to see the light of day again.

Cheers

Last edited:
I had that same mindset when I started, but driving these both around the track, there's a difference for sure. Sure they may have the same power output and the same weight, but you'll feel their differences in the corners.

Type-I definitely looks like the "alpha" version, whereas the Type-II is the "beta" looking a lot closer to the final product. Before GT5, I had no idea that the the Type-II concept existed, but the primary question is: which one is faster?

Deep Forest Trial:
RX-8 Type-I: 1:28.313
RX-8 Type-II: 1:27.313

In the corners, the Type-I felt like it had quite a bit of understeer under heavy braking and a bit of numbness going round the corners, sliding the back end out if you were going just a little too fast. The dumpy and clumsy look unfortunately is reflected in the suspension with this car. The Type-II on the other hand feels a lot more responsive and poised. Less understeer under braking, and it genuinely feels like a sports car, with the yellow on the car harkening back to the Competition Yellow Mica of the early FDs. It feels apparent that the Type-II worked out a lot of the problems that the Type-I had.

The yellow Type-II model wins my vote.

I never tested the Type-I until just now. I think this is the second time I've booted GT6 up in the last year. I have taken a break from gaming in general, but I know GTS will pull me right back in...

Anyway, even though I was a bit rusty, muscle memory from testing 700+ cars kicked in after a few laps.

The Type-II was tested in October 2015. I was faster in that car by exactly 1 full second.

Type-II all day just because it's a lot quicker all around.

Given how there is hardly any big differences between them, you could flip a coin on which one wins this week.

So I did and it was in favour of the Type-I. :)

But that's not the main reason I'm here, I'm here to announce my pick for the Euro Touring Car Shootout.

IMG_0144.JPG

It's the Vauxhall Astra Super Touring Car!! :D

Starts around the same PP as the TT, But I've had to cut 23% of the power to get it down to the 1:26 range. :crazy:

It's got sentimental value to me as well as I used to have a scale model of this very car. ;)

Technically at the time of this posting, the UK is still a full member of the EU. They're not out-out until April of 2019.

/buzzkill

Latest Posts

Back