GT6 Duel of the Week #70: The Grand Finale (well, not really)

• Thread starter Cowboy
  • 1,338 comments
We're on to week two and with how well week one went, I think this thread will stick around for a while. I got so many suggestions for this week but I can only select one. This week's duel is......

05vet.583.jpg

The 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

VS
maxresdefault.jpg

The 2007 Nissan GT-R
(Thanks to @=drifting24/7= for the suggestion.)
Rear wheel drive vs 4-wheel drive. Should be an interesting duel since the Vette has 11 more performance points over the GT-R, but the GT-R has the advantage of 4-wheel drive over the RWD of the Vette. Drove both of these yesterday and I have already decided my favorite, but that will have to wait until the end of the week. So with that, let the battle begin.

Last edited:
Z06 '06
7.0L
502 hp / 6,500 rpm
469 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,421 kg (3,133 lbs)
541 pp

GT-R '07
3.8L
484 hp / 6,500 rpm
443 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
1,740 kg (3,836 lbs)
529 pp

The Z06 has 18 more horses, 26 more ft-lbs of torque, and weighs 703 lbs less than the GT-R. On paper, the Z06 destroys the GT-R, but when I put them head-to-head at Mid-Field Raceway on Comfort Soft tires, the Z06 was less impressive than the numbers would make it seem. In fact, both cars cross the finish line at the same time.

The Corvette reaches a maximum speed of 163 mph where the GT-R starts braking at 157.

1:17.977 - 541 - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) '06
1:18.046 - 529 - Nissan GT-R '07

Which one would I want in my real garage (or parking lot, rather?) Definitely the Corvette. I think it looks better, it has a manual transmission, it's faster in a straight line, is far cheaper to own and maintain, it sounds meaner, is much lighter, and it can drift.

My pick goes to the Corvette. The corvette, even the newest one is available with a shift stick and not just simply flappy paddles and it's RWD, which in my opinion makes it more fun and challenging to drive. It's also much lighter.

But if I'm going to be honest the looks go to the GT-R. However if this was the C7 VS The GT-R then my pick would go to the corvette.

The Z06 to me was the last "hoorah" for big NA V8's. Now engines are getting forced induction and smaller sizes to comply with car regulation that give sports cars the finger, and maybe on purpose because these policies were made by people who base their knowledge of cars on their morning commute on the clogged up highway.

The GT-R? It is probably as affordable as it gets if you want a proven world beater. It can take on anything. Even if it looses, it would've put up a fight. It is engineered to be as perfect as humanly possible, and Nissan nailed it. To me the GT-R is the true bang-for-your-buck sports car.

If I were to choose between the two in the most unbiased way, I would pick the GT-R. Unfortunately, I am biased.

CORVETTE FTW!!!!!1!1!!11!

I've got some more photos 'n' tunes! This time I'm done two set-ups for each car. The first two are more race inspired, while the second two are made to be easy to drive, for those who like to cruise or relax, because relaxing is exactly what you do in a 7 Litre 'Murican fire-spitter. :dopey:

Nissan GT-R '07 (Race Tune)
GT-R Gemasolar.jpg

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) '06 (Race Tune)
Z06 Gemasolar.jpg

Nissan GT-R '07 (Cruising Tune)
GT-R Gemasolar 2.jpg

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) '06 (Cruising Tune)
Z06 Gemasolar 2.jpg

As for the cars themselves, the GT-R is very good. It's very fast. That's about it, really. I don't like how utterly massive the car is, it's weight, and the styling hasn't really won me over (though that's subjective). It is very good to drive, and easy to drive (apart from some braking oversteer), however.

The Corvette, though, is one of my favourite cars, now. I had never really given the Z06 much thought on GT6, but just half an hour today spent tuning it has made me love the car. It's so completely balanced through corners, meaning you can slide it around to your heart's content, or you can drive it like a racing car. Adding a flat floor makes it completely glued to the road, as well. In the real world, it's everything I admire - V8, naturally aspirated, manual, and rear wheel drive. Plus it's bats*** crazy.

So, it's the Vette for me.

Ok so i bought both and did a hot lap around Laguna Seca Raceway for both cars completely stock

Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 '06 - 1:34.234

Nissan GTR '07 - 1:36.176

0:01.942 gap

So it would seem to be the Corvette is faster but the GTR has good handling so does the Corvette. I like both, but I would go with the GTR because of its physical look and engine sound. I also took pictures too:) P.S. I bet Kaz would choose GTR just because :lol::lol:

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.jpg
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.jpg

I love the Corvette, but, as my name suggests, the GT-R gets my point, because of technical advantage, performance, design, and... because GT-R :P

I'd pick the GTR.
The Corvette is lighter and better balanced, but the GTR gives you the confidence to push harder with its 4WD system, and it's a lot more forgiving to drive. I think it looks better, too.

Ok so time to make meh decision... The Advantages and Disadvantages:

GT-R R35 '07
Pros:
It isn't used by as many idiots as the previous three Skyline GT-R's.
There are only about twelve on GT6, not 49.
4WD means I am less likely to spin out violently.
Actually cheaper for me in the real world as 'Vettes need to be imported and their price doubles.
Cons:
I laugh at all GT-R's.
Due to Polyphony making the coding on the thing so tight (military force hacking skills required), GT5 probably took a few months longer.
It is a cheapie supercar... in a worse way than the 911.
Lack of badge snobbery at all...

Corvette Z06 '06
Pros:
Very unique in Aust.
Awesome looking
MUCH lighter
Ginormous V8.
Normal Aspiration.
Cons:
Not really considered a supercar.
Lack of cornering without spining out and dying.
Normal Aspiration.
Looks...
Not a ZR1 in any sense of the word.
Slower than a Viper.
(will finish at lunch time recess is over)

Last edited:
Hey, that's my suggestion. Cool :D

But yeah, there's no denying that this rivalry caught a lot of attention because, ever since the first R35 GT-R came out, it has been pitted endlessly against the Corvette C6 Z06. And I have to say, everywhere I go on the internet, their respective fanbases immediately go at war with each other whenever a new performance and/or road test comes out that involves these two cars. So yeah, I thought it would be a good idea to bring it up here.

I still remember me and my friend racing these cars back in GT5. He's also a car nut like me, but he doesn't play GT5 as often as I do. We picked Nurburgring Nordschleife as the track, and both cars were bone stock except for R:S tires. What I noticed is that, that power and weight advantage the Vette has really helps it pull away from the GT-R on straights, but the GT-R simply has more mechanical grip going around, despite it being a whopping 300kg heavier. It was a pretty tight race. However that was GT5, and I have yet to compare these two cars in GT6.

Between the two, I really can't decide. I like Vettes, they are my most favorite American sports car of all time. That massive 7.0L V8 truly is awesome, and it gives the Vette impressive acceleration, even in 5th gear from a standing start!! For the GT-R, what I like about it is that it's a Japanese sports car. Being a Japanese sports car, it has great handling. And what attracts me the most when it comes to a sports car is handling. Any car can go fast in a straight line. It's easy to make one that can do so. But making a sports car go as fast as it can around corners is an entirely different thing. Even though the GT-R is incredibly heavy, how they managed to make it have much more grip and control than the Vette C6 is beyond me. Please someone explain to me how the "Thousand-Arithmetics-Per-Second" spell on the ATTESA ET-S exactly works. :dunce:

I'll try and see if I can drive both cars tonight when I get home from work. This should be very interesting.

EDIT:

Corvette Z06 '06
Pros:
Very unique in Aust.
Awesome looking
MUCH lighter
Ginormous V8.
Normal Aspiration.
Cons:
Normal Aspiration.
Looks...
Slower than a Viper.

I'm sorry, what? Exactly how is being natural aspiration a bad thing? :odd: I don't get it, why is it both a Pro and a Con?

Last edited:

But yeah, there's no denying that this rivalry caught a lot of attention because, ever since the first R35 GT-R came out, it has been pitted endlessly against the Corvette C6 Z06. And I have to say, everywhere I go on the internet, their respective fanbases immediately go at war with each other whenever a new performance and/or road test that involves these two cars. So yeah, I thought it would be a good idea to bring it up here.

I still remember me and my friend racing these cars back in GT5. He's also a car nut like me, but he doesn't play GT5 as often as I do. We picked Nurburgring Nordschleife as the track, and both cars were bone stock except for R:S tires. What I noticed is that, that power and weight advantage the Vette has really helps it pull away from the GT-R on straights, but the GT-R simply has more mechanical grip going around, despite it being a whopping 300kg heavier. It was a pretty tight race. However that was GT5, and I have yet to compare these two cars in GT6.

Between the two, I really can't decide. I like Vettes, they are my most favorite American sports car of all time. That massive 7.0L V8 truly is awesome, and it gives the Vette impressive acceleration, even in 5th gear from a standing start!! For the GT-R, what I like about it is that it's a Japanese sports car. Being a Japanese sports car, it has great handling. And what attracts me the most when it comes to a sports car is handling. Any car can go fast in a straight line. It's easy to make one that can do so. But making a sports car go as fast as it can around corners is an entirely different thing. Even though the GT-R is incredibly heavy, how they managed to make it have much more grip and control than the Vette C6 is beyond me. Please someone explain to me how the "Thousand-Arithmetics-Per-Second" spell on the ATTESA ET-S exactyl works. :dunce:

I'll try and see if I can drive both cars tonight when I get home from work. This should be very interesting.

EDIT:

I'm sorry, what? Exactly how is being natural aspiration a bad thing? :odd: I don't get it, why is it both a Pro and a Con?
(To the last part)
Being NA, it could be a power and acceleration disadvantage. The pro he was probably referring to was the car sound being louder with no turbo or supercharger drowning out the sound.

There are 3 cars in my TDU2 garage that are the most used: My 'vette, My Godzilla, and my Range Rover.
The Range Rover takes the rough stuff and can handle a fair fight on the highway.
The Corvette is my Speed Machine - I can drive to my heart's content at blazing speed cutting through traffic like an alien machine.
Then there's the GT-R that can manage both scenarios, though not as fast as the 'vette, and not as ready to rumble as the Range Rover.

Tough choice. I'm holding on to my money for now.

Guess I need to take the GT6 versions out for a comparo run.

And I have to say, everywhere I go on the internet, their respective fanbases immediately go at war with each other whenever a new performance and/or road test comes out that involves these two cars.

These two fanbases start war with everything, no matter what car you bring, there will always be someone who says that they rather have a GT-R (or Vette) over anything because *incert reasons*.

(To the last part)
Being NA, it could be a power and acceleration disadvantage. The pro he was probably referring to was the car sound being louder with no turbo or supercharger drowning out the sound.
That con isn't really going to exist in a 7.0 Litre V8, though.

Exactly. The LS7 doesn't really run short of torque in any rpm range. It's a really powerful engine. And, another big, big, big pro of a Natural Aspiration engine is the response. No matter how much you minimize the turbo lag in a turbocharged engine, there's still lag. Which is not a problem for a Natural Aspiration engine.

Exactly. The LS7 doesn't really run short of torque in any rpm range. It's a really powerful engine. And, another big, big, big pro of a Natural Aspiration engine is the response. No matter how much you minimize the turbo lag in a turbocharged engine, there's still lag. Which is not a problem for a Natural Aspiration engine.
Only problem is GT6 doesn't really simulate lag. I still don't like them, even in GT6, however.

Only problem is GT6 doesn't really simulate lag. I still don't like them, even in GT6, however.

Yeah, and how the power graph changes depending on what turbo you fitted to the engine is a complete joke. Proper examples of how a power graph looks like when you fit a ginormous turbo in a not-so-particularly-big engine are those from the HPA Golf R32 and the AEM S2000.

Yeah, and how the power graph changes depending on what turbo you fitted to the engine is a complete joke. Proper examples of how a power graph looks like when you fit a ginormous turbo in a not-so-particularly-big engine are those from the HPA Golf R32 and the AEM S2000.
The Hyundai Genesis and Diablos once turbo'd are massively peaky, and I feel that's how most turbo'd cars should be one tuned. Most cars should rev higher, too.

Like the idea of this thread so thought I'd join in.
I used both cars stock, only turned TCS off, and went lapping around the Nurburgring GP circuit, oh and using DS3. I did a 2;15;246 with the Corvette and a 2;14;275 in the GT-R.
The Corvette was a handfull and took several laps to get the confidence to push, the GT-R I got to a limit very quickly and lapped consistantly to within a few tenths.
The GT-R wins this for me.

Tsukuba, no driving aids, PS3 Controller

Corvette: 1:02.531
GT-R: 1:01.871

Final thoughts: these were my go to cars in GT5: Prologue. The Corvette was harder to control so tight tracks are an apparent weakness. The GT-R was much easier control (even though it had some understeer). It beat the Corvette time 1st lap when it took 6 laps for the Corvette. Today Technology wins over sheer muscle for me.

Ok so time to make meh decision... The Advantages and Disadvantages:

GT-R R35 '07
Pros:
It isn't used by as many idiots as the previous three Skyline GT-R's.
There are only about twelve on GT6, not 49.
4WD means I am less likely to spin out violently.
Actually cheaper for me in the real world as 'Vettes need to be imported and their price doubles.
Cons:
I laugh at all GT-R's.
Due to Polyphony making the coding on the thing so tight (military force hacking skills required), GT5 probably took a few months longer.
It is a cheapie supercar... in a worse way than the 911.
Lack of badge snobbery at all...

Corvette Z06 '06
Pros:
Very unique in Aust.
Awesome looking
MUCH lighter
Ginormous V8.
Normal Aspiration.
Cons:
Normal Aspiration.
Looks...
Slower than a Viper.
Wait first you say the vette looks awesome but then you say that it looks bad in the cons section...?

Corvette Z06 all the way for me, mostly because I've ridden in one
(hauling a$$ too). That engine is an absolute gem, it's not the small block Chevy in your moma's 10 year old suburban. It absolutely snarls, on idle it crackles. I'm quite disappointed in the audio recording of it in GT6 (forza 4 also) in gt6 it's way too mellow, in forza 4 it's to generic.

The guy who gave me a ride in his (bone stock) Z06 (2007 I think?)
Said "alright were going about 60... He throws the car down to second, flattens the accelerator,
and that corvette positively
launched. As we approached 130mph, which came up very fast
you could feel the rear tires slipping as they crossed over expansion joints in the asphalt.
Absolutely redefined my understanding of acceleration.

I can't really comment on the GT-R as I've never been in one, but from what I've read, it's seem like there's a lot of computers between you and the road, whereas the Z06 is mostly just you and an analog machine, which is how a prefer my cars.

Maybe that's the best way to describe the difference between these cars, they do the same thing really, just pick analog or digital.

Just my humble 2 cents.

BTW, whomever said that a Z06 isn't really a supercar, I'd have to disagree, as would most automotive journalists. But on the other hand, it's all about perspective, compared to a smart car, isn't the Mazda Miata rather "super"?

I'm so proud of my even mindedness today, usually I'm about as one sided as an argument with your mom. Lol

But yeah, there's no denying that this rivalry caught a lot of attention because, ever since the first R35 GT-R came out, it has been pitted endlessly against the Corvette C6 Z06. And I have to say, everywhere I go on the internet, their respective fanbases immediately go at war with each other whenever a new performance and/or road test comes out that involves these two cars. So yeah, I thought it would be a good idea to bring it up here.

Between the two, I really can't decide. I like Vettes, they are my most favorite American sports car of all time. That massive 7.0L V8 truly is awesome, and it gives the Vette impressive acceleration, even in 5th gear from a standing start!! For the GT-R, what I like about it is that it's a Japanese sports car. Being a Japanese sports car, it has great handling. And what attracts me the most when it comes to a sports car is handling. Any car can go fast in a straight line. It's easy to make one that can do so. But making a sports car go as fast as it can around corners is an entirely different thing. Even though the GT-R is incredibly heavy, how they managed to make it have much more grip and control than the Vette C6 is beyond me. Please someone explain to me how the "Thousand-Arithmetics-Per-Second" spell on the ATTESA ET-S exactly works. :dunce:

EDIT:

(To the last part)
It is an advantage due to sound and disadvantage due to power.

Back