GT6 Duel of the Week #70: The Grand Finale (well, not really)

• Thread starter Cowboy
  • 1,338 comments
I'm not really sure about some people suggesting the 458 Italia vs MP4-12C. If you're going to compare the 458, do it against the SLS AMG, because...

1. They have almost the same PP
2. They also have the same amount of horsepower
3. Acceleration is virtually a dead heat as well because both cars use a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission, and while the 458 has the weight advantage, the SLS on the other hand has the torque advantage
4. Tested both cars on Grand Valley East (the smaller one, not GVS), and both cars clocked in lap times that were very close to each other

SLS AMG GT3 vs Z4 GT3
Audi RS6 Avant vs Elise 111R
Some standard Car Battles:
Yaris Euro Sport edition thingy vs '03 Micra/March vs '01 Jazz/Fit vs '02 Colt vs '03 Mazda2/Demio (I would like to see with tuning which car would win... maybe a 400PP tune?
Audi RS6 '02 vs Jaguar S type '02
Luxury overpriced Abarth vs Luxury Overpriced Skyline
(xd) Ferrari 330 P4 vs (GT dealership) Ford GT race car

Oh, wow, this is a great idea, Great work, @CowboyAce57.

I guess some good ideas for the next duels could be;

Pagani Zonda R '09 vs Ferrari FXX '07

The Ferrari has the power advantage, but the Pagani has more torque and is 85kg lighter. Plus, their PP are practically the same.

Ferrari Enzo Ferrari '02 vs Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 '11

Again, their PP are practically the same, but the Lamborghini is more powerful and has the grip of 4WD to its advantage. However, it weighs 320kg more than the Enzo.

Bugatti Veyron '13 vs McLaren F1 '94

They're both some of the fastest cars in the world. The Bugatti has a 360bhp advantage on the F1, but the F1 weighs a huge 748kg less than the Veyron. Plus, the Veyron has 4WD, meaning it would have better traction off of the line, but it does have some rather understeery tendencies due to its weight...

McLaren MP4-12C '10 vs Ferrari 458 Italia '09 vs Mercedes SLS AMG '10 vs Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 '08

I know, a 4 way battle may not count, but these cars can all battle against each other in different ways. The 12C has the power advantage and is the lightest of the four cars, the SLS has the most torque of the four cars, the Gallardo is 4WD, and the 458 has huge amounts of grip and is incredibly easy to drive quickly around a track.

Time for the next duel of the week! This time we're stepping back a couple of years, and if your a Fast and Furious fan, you may want to prepare yourself. This week's duel of the week is......

1993_JZA80_Toyota_Supra_SZ.jpg

The 1997 Toyota Supra RZ

vs

nissan_skyline_gt-r_a1246606203b2808620_orig.jpg

The 2000 Nissan Skyline GT-R
(Thanks to @ToyGTone for the suggestion)
FR vs 4WD again? Maybe the 4WD will stand a better chance this time around, or maybe the FR will dominate. Guess I'd better hit the track, and with that, let the battle begin.

Last edited:
Frankly I don't like either of these. If pushed I'd take the Supra, because it's rear wheel drive. In GT6, I'd take the R34 because it has a full interior view. Perhaps next week we could have 2 cars that aren't Japanese? I like Japanese cars, but show the Euros and the Yanks some love!

In short; I pick Supra.

Frankly, I can't be bothered to post any photos or tunes for these two cars, seeing as they don't interest me like the last 4 have.

Last edited:
Ohhh...why didn't you chose F1 vs Veyron? :indiff: and then leave Supra and GT-R for the next (4th) week?

Many people wanted the F1 vs Veyron. I thought it's going to be a great idea and at least I won't hear people saying Japanese cars suck....etc just because it's Japanese/Asian and not an european/'Murican/Aussie car but they have some point, 5 of 6 cars in DOTW are Japanese and only one is from 'murica.

Well at the end, i'm still fine with Supra RZ vs Skyline GT-R for this week but still you better include something other than Japanese cars for next week. Just sayin'

Let's say this happens in real life, in the US.

A guy comes up to me, hands me keys to a R34 and a Supra. He doesn't tell me anything about them. I would take the Supra. It has the 2JZ I6 Monster, and looks gorgous. The R34 is illegal here and would probably get jacked or towed away if I ever get pulled over (in a GT-R, that's inevitable).

Let's say this same thing happens in the UK.

I would take the R34 keys, punch the guy in the face, sprint to the skyline, and floor it.

But I would pick the RZ in GT6. It sounds better, handles better (to me at least), and less people would look at me in a cruise lobby and say sarcastically "oooh you're sooo cool".

Frankly I don't like either of these. If pushed I'd take the Supra, because it's rear wheel drive. In GT6, I'd take the R34 because it has a full interior view. Perhaps next week we could have 2 cars that aren't Japanese? I like Japanese cars, but show the Euros and the Yanks some love!

In short; I pick Supra.

Frankly, I can't be bothered to post any photos or tunes for these two cars, seeing as they don't interest me like the last 4 have.
Ohhh...why didn't you chose F1 vs Veyron? :indiff: and then leave Supra and GT-R for the next (4th) week?

Many people wanted the F1 vs Veyron. I thought it's going to be a great idea and at least I won't hear people saying Japanese cars suck....etc just because it's Japanese/Asian and not an european/'Murican/Aussie car but they have some point, 5 of 6 cars in DOTW are Japanese and only one is from 'murica.

Well at the end, i'm still fine with Supra RZ vs Skyline GT-R for this week but still you better include something other than Japanese cars for next week. Just sayin'
Don't worry, Japanese cars will take a break after this week ;)

Don't worry, Japanese cars will take a break after this week ;)
Setup a conversation for people throw in ideas. It will keep this thread free of all that. :)

Before I even test these cars, I am choosing the Supra. I hate the understeer of 4WD and it makes for a boring experience in my opinion. Also, RWD gives more fun on corner exits. I will give these both a drive tonight to confirm it. See ya on the flip side (Edit side [I know, poor joke])

EDIT: I drove both cars at Laguna Seca, the Supra was not as fast. However, I did not have as much fun driving the R34. The Supra on the other hand, would bite you right in the ass if you messed with it wrong. Which made it a blast!

I choose Supra!

Last edited:
Here are the specs of both cars after purchasing them from the dealership:

Toyota Supra RZ '97

3.0L
325 hp / 5,500 rpm
393 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
1,510 kg (3,329 lbs)
471 pp

Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) '99
2.6L
327 hp / 6,800 rpm
341 ft-lb / 4,400 rpm
1,540 kg (3,395 lbs)
468 pp

The GT-R has a paltry 2 extra horses, but gives up a massive 52 ft-lbs of torque to the Supra.

On paper, the Supra wins, but as we know, there's always more to the story than that.

At Mid-Field Raceway, both cars 100% stock besides being on Comfort Soft tires, here's my best laps:

1:23.309 - 468 - Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) '99
1:24.313 - 471 - Toyota Supra RZ '97

:eek: The R34 is exactly ONE WHOLE SECOND FASTER than the Supra :eek:

GT-R tapped out at 139 mph on the front straightaway, to the Supra's 141 mph.

The Supra just doesn't have the same level of engineering and refinement. I vote GT-R!

I tried to do some hotlapping around Grand valley speedway with no aids except abs 1 and using sport hard. I also oil changed the both too.

So the results are:

Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 '00

Best 3 laps were:
1. 2:11.723
2. 2:11.983
3. 2:12.768

Meanwhile Toyota Supra RZ '97 best laps were...

1. 2:13.720
2. 2:14.666
3. 2:14.702

Is it me being a bad driver or this is how bad Supra handles compared to the GT-R?

I think it's the advantage of 4WD. Based on the driving I just d.id, I choose the GT-R, because with the right setup it shoots out of corners like nothing else. Does not mean that the Supra is bad at all IMHO. I love both of them, but the GT-R has the better performance.

Supra. The number of idiots in R33's in my area has spoiled all Skylines for me. Especially the one I saw wrapped around a tree.

As much as I hate the R34 GT-R (because it's so overrated thansk to Fast and the Furious), I'd choose it over the Supra RZ. Because in GT6, when fully upgraded the R34 GT-R just takes in that monstrous 900+hp like it was nothing. I really feel like this car can handle past 1000hp, if only it could be tuned up to that level. The Supra RZ on the other hand, just doesn't have enough grip or chassis rigidity to handle 900+hp. So yead, I'd pick the R34 GT-R.

Isn't supra and other Japanese sport cars suffer from the same problems?

Anyway, I'm going for the R34 because it looks better (IMO), drives better in gt6 and simply I like it more than the Supra. (Sorry Supra but I still love you too).

As much as I like the Supra, I'm leaning towards the GTR. It has the same amount of power as the GTR, but it does give up some torque. However, the GTR has 4WD, which makes it have better accelerations and cornering speeds. Don't just take my word for it, look at the lap times others have posted.

On a side note, I would like to suggest that the Audi R8 Race Car '01 would go up against the Pescarolo Sport C60 - Peugeot Race Car '03. Now that would be fun.

When I lived in The states, I'd pick the Slowpra. After watching Best Motoring videos back in 2000 and seeing the Mine's Skyline, my money would go towards the Skyline today. Of course, this thread is based on stock rides. I'd still pick the GT-R.

I have never liked the look of this Supra, so have stayed clear of it.
Anyway I bought the car and with the GT-R went to the Nurburgring GP for some laps, used stock with TCS 0.
Very impressed with the Supra, was quite stable when changing direction and not too tail happy.
The GT-R felt heavy compared to the Supra and behaved more like a RWD car in slow corners, it pulled quite well through the gears, all in all a better car to drive, and trounced the Supra's lap time.
The GT-R is a clear winner for me.

Today I have tested both cars. I went into the dealership and bought a new Supra and a new Skyline, leaving them both completely stock, even the tires, which were already SH on both cars. I drove them around on Circuit de Spa to see which one goes faster around a track. I have also tested their top speed and acceleration on SSRX. Here are my results.

Toyota Supra RZ '97

Lap Time: 2:49.664
Top Speed: 302km/h or 187.5mph
0-100(km/h): 6 seconds

(Reason I only have 1 lap on record for the Supra is I had to restart the game. In total I did about 5)

Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) '00

Lap Time: 2:46.174
Top Speed: 304km/h or 189mph
0-100(km/h): 4.9 seconds

Both cars are great to drive but in my opinion the Supra is more enjoyable to drive and is a little bit more civilized than the GT-R. And as for the looks, I also think the Supra looks better, especially in white.

Final Points:

Supra - 2
Skyline - 3

In conclusion, I pick the Skyline.

Quick question, but what do you guys think is the best track to test these cars on? I usually test on Brands Hatch GP.

I usually go to sector 3 on Sierra Time Rally. Has good turns and straights. It's like a mini Nürburgring.

Latest Posts

Back