GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry for taking an extra day, but I got busy last night and needed to put off this duel until this morning. I hope you're all ready for the end of last week, because we had some interesting results.

Starting with me, I personally preferred the Stealth model. It didn't lap as fast as the SLS did in my trials, but it was way cheaper and had more power to make up for that. It still wasn't that slow either. I'd personally prefer the Stealth Model because it looks better than the GT3, it's more unique. So my vote goes to the Stealth.

Let's tally up the votes:
SLS GT3: 2
SLS Stealth: 5

The winner of last week's duel is the...

Eiger Nordwand Short Track.jpg

SLS AMG Stealth!

@ThrasherDBS should be on deck soon with the results and the next series of time trials. But now I need to get the next duel ready...

Week 125: Luxury Sport Duel

Last week featured an interesting result between the same vehicle's different racing iterations. However, this week we're moving towards a duel featuring road cars after a few featuring race cars. This week has two luxury coupes from the turn of the century, both with rumbling V8s. However, one is much more laid back than the other despite sharing similar performance points. Maybe we'll see another interesting result here? It's time to move to the slower and more luxurious side of things... Please welcome the...

2013-BMW-Z8.jpg

...BMW Z8!

Against the

maxresdefault.jpg

...Jaguar XKR R Performance!

Both cars may be similar in engine and body style, but one is more aggressive while the other is lighter. A good track for this duel should be Grand Valley East, this track will test their acceleration on the long straights, as well as cornering and braking in the more technical tunnel section. Let's see a good turnout this week as we only have a few duels left!​

Would you guys like to keep this going after the servers go down, because I was thinking we could do something like I did in my GT3 vs STEALTH review?

I'm personally going to be ending support for this thread after GT6's online ends, then I'm moving full time to the PS4 and GT Sport, but I'm sure that some people still wish to do some duels around here even after the servers go down. I'll be more than happy to let you use the concept of this thread in a different one with a different title, but as it stands this specific thread is done on the 28th.

I'm personally going to be ending support for this thread after GT6's online ends, then I'm moving full time to the PS4 and GT Sport, but I'm sure that some people still wish to do some duels around here even after the servers go down. I'll be more than happy to let you use the concept of this thread in a different one with a different title, but as it stands this specific thread is done on the 28th.
No worries.

Let's get into it!

Week #124 Results

Red Bull Ring Time Trial:

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 '11
1st. @MrWaflz55 - 1:32.938
2nd. Me - 1:33.510

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Stealth Model
1st. Me - 1:33.271
2nd. @MrWaflz55 - 1:33.508

Silverstone Drift Trial:

Uhh... I was the only one who showed up, so that was a bust.

So anyways, congrats to our fearless leader for actually being the other participant in the duel this week.

I think we're dying down, but we've got two weeks left to go before we are done with GT6. With that said, let's make sure this next trial gets done by next Wednesday so we can have one final week for a grand finale due.

We have three events this week. We're taking the BMW and the Jaguar for a run through Grand Valley East Reverse, sliding them around Trial Mountain Reverse, and then due to the interest I saw in a rally duel, we have a GT-R rally going down at Eiger's short W Trail. Power limit is 500HP, and we'll separate it into two classes: R35s and everyone else. Be sure to get these done by midnight GMT on March 22nd!

So for this week's duel. I went in thinking the Jaguar would be the victor. Better power and more PP. It looked like an easy show. I was sorely mistaken.

For the Grand Valley East time trial, I hit a 1:15.3 in the Jaguar, whereas I hit a 1:14.1 in the BMW Z8.

That was a landslide victory for the Z8 and it all came down to two factors, body roll and understeer. The Jaguar still feels like it's a luxury car despite the fact that it's the sports package of the sportier version of the base model. It's a simple fact that the luxury boats from Aston Martin and Jaguar such as the DB9 and XKR are not that great when it comes to fast cornering. They may be a riot to drift, but the cars are definitely more suited for longer car trips rather than a track day. That's the way it should be because after all, they're GT cars. The Z8 is much lighter and has a better power to weight ratio despite the lower output. That gives it a much better feel when driving around the track.

In real life I might prefer the XKR, but on the track I'd much rather the Z8, so it gets my vote this week.

Just a reminder, the duel ends on Wednesday, so get those votes and times in before it ends! Next week is the last week.

Like our fearless leader, I thought the Jag was going to be on top, but lo and behold it wasn't. The Bond car that gets sawed in half in The World Is Never Enough, beat out the the car that gave Bond's Vanquish a hard time in Die Another Day.

Grand Valley East Reverse Trial:
Z8 - 1:12.814
XKR - 1:13.341

With that said, the Jaguar felt better to me, and while it wasn't faster and doesn't get my vote, it was definitely a force to be reckoned with in the drift trial. The BMW Z8 wins!

Duel ends Wednesday, whether you guys are ready or not. At that point, we have one week until GT6 becomes an abandoned amusement park like GT5. Get your times/scores in! @Rinsky @Nismonath5 @bjl23 @Draggon @Vic Reign93

Oh, and the manufacturer filter on the GT-R Rally event has been updated for those of you with super full garages. It'll narrow it down to Nissan and Nismos. @BenMillard

This was an interesting match up this week! I found the Z8 to be a handful, with some snap oversteer if you were generous with the throttle mid corner. The XKR is a big heavy cat, but felt more stable and planted. The big cat won this time around for me, just felt more consistent around the track.

Z8 - 1:16.954
XKR - 1:15.107

Winner: XKR

Dial R for Rally was a blast. Set a time in a car far below regs with Autumn Ring seasons tune. Looked up times and saw I was 2nd by 0.1 seconds! Ran again with just minutes before the TT ended. Nailed it. The session ended after the event closes but this specific lap was completed before the end time - by a matter of seconds!

Wish I had found time for the main duel. The Z8 is fantastic to drive, even with standard tune on DS3. In fact I think I never tuned mine. It gets my vote from past experience.

Last edited:
Whoa damn, haha, and I was just about to write up the results for this week, you sneaked through pretty quickly!

Not too good of a turnout this week but hopefully we'll do better this coming week.

Week #125 Results
Grand Valley East Time Trial:

BMW Z8 '01
1st. Me - 1:12.814
2nd. @MrWaflz55 - 1:14.138
3rd. @mica3speedy - 1:16.954

Jaguar XKR R Performance '02
1st. Me - 1:13.341
2nd. @mica3speedy - 1:15.107
3rd. @MrWaflz55 - 1:15.300

Trial Mountain Drift Trial:

Nobody but me entered.

Dial R For Rally - GT-R Dirt Trial at Eiger Nordwand W Trail

1st. @BenMillard - 1:06.109 - Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V-spec II (R32) '94
2nd. Me - 1:06.898 - Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V-spec II (R32) '94

It's odd to see me in first. I'm used to being topped by several people but I wound up being the best for the duels, save for the super impressive under-the-wire steal from @BenMillard on the dirt trial, that was amazing.

So, the end is in sight. Time is money and we're almost flat broke. On top of the duels for the cars this week, I'm going to do one last Open Swim Dorifuto at SSR5 (one of my original duel tracks besides the Matterhorn Rotenboden) and a grand finale battle royale on our rallying escapades. Grab your Corvette, Viper, Lancer, Impreza, or GT-R and head on over to Toscana for one last dirt trial. As for the other two events, well, that'll be up to our fearless leader.

Also, I leave for vacation actually on the same day that the servers shut down, so every event is going to close Wednesday, March 28th, at 4 am GMT. For me, that's Tuesday at 9PM, so make sure you guys attend and give a good showing for them all! Let's give GT6 a great sendoff!

Last edited:
On the heels of some discussion with Thrasher, and the results post. It's time to wrap the second-last week up. I already posted my opinions, but here's a short recap if you're wondering:
That was a landslide victory for the Z8 and it all came down to two factors, body roll and understeer. The Jaguar still feels like it's a luxury car despite the fact that it's the sports package of the sportier version of the base model. It's a simple fact that the luxury boats from Aston Martin and Jaguar such as the DB9 and XKR are not that great when it comes to fast cornering. They may be a riot to drift, but the cars are definitely more suited for longer car trips rather than a track day. That's the way it should be because after all, they're GT cars. The Z8 is much lighter and has a better power to weight ratio despite the lower output. That gives it a much better feel when driving around the track.

In real life I might prefer the XKR, but on the track I'd much rather the Z8, so it gets my vote this week.

So, I may have voted the Z8, but what about you? Let's count 'em up!

Z8: 3
XKR: 2

So, that makes the winner of last weeks duel...

bmw_z8-wide.jpg

...The 2001 BMW Z8 Roadster!

That was a good duel last week, but unfortunately we don't have much longer. We're speeding into the next week and the final duel of the thread. Let's see what awaits us on the final lap...​

Gran Turismo 6 Duel of the Week 126 - The Last Lap

Well, about a year, 125 duels and about 1000 posts later. We're finally at the last duel. As you all know, GT6's servers are shutting down for good on March 28th, 2018. This means that GT6 is the last of the classic numbered series games with this kind of formula. That means, so to speak, it's the end of an era.​

But what happens when an era ends? When the new sets in and takes over. The "Old Guard" becomes legend, or in the automotive world, "Classics".

This week, we have three performance-matched classics spanning across three different eras. One is already an antique classic, the other is a legend from the 80's wall posters, and the most recent is certain to become one in the future. This week is the battle royal of the different time periods.

However, these three cars also represent all three different locations in the GT series: America, Europe and Japan!

Let's see who's stepping up to the plate in our final showdown...

66-Shelby-Cobra-427-DV-11-GC_a001.jpg

The 1969 Shelby Cobra 427!

01_Stars_Supercars.jpg

The 1992 Ferrari F40!

2007_tokyo_nissan_gt-r-live_013.jpg

and the 2007 Nissan GT-R!

Since this is the last duel, we're throwing some special surprises at you for the time trials. This week's main trial will be held at the Matterhorn Rotenboden, this track appeared and disappeared for the first and last time in GT6. The time will be set to 21:00, so the sun will set on this duel!

The drift trial for the three cars will be held at the Trial Mountain circuit, yet another classic icon leaving us in GT6. Let's make the most of this track to burn some rubber. I can already smell the Cobra's smoking!

The open-swim Doriftu will be held at SSR5, the predecessor to Tokyo Expressway. Let's give this track one last go too!

This post will be followed by a rollcall from Thrasher to get all the regulars back in one spot. Let's give the thread the send-off it deserves this week! I'll see you guys at the finish line!

You heard it there boys and girls! We're on that last week! All the duels end on March 28th, 4am GMT. For a lot of you folks in North America, that's going to be March 27th so make sure you allow yourself some time to get these done!

@Cowboy @Draggon @BenMillard @Vic Reign93 @mica3speedy @bjl23 @Nismonath5 @Rinsky @Ryk @MidFieldMaven @chillmazta @Baron Blitz Red @MOPARbarrett5 @CrazyJohn @Obelisk @Ridox2JZGTE @Mr Grumpy @Lilium @Rotorist @JDMKING13 @Racer J @LiteMix @YoshiMaster2 @Death2508 @AgentBlackDog @dingodile_r89 @Snake55wildcat @Skygrasper550 @Marc30599 @The87Dodge @Lubeify100 @TheProRacer @Thomas2012 @JoaoSilva @ThePolishMike @Furinkazen @ImmalovemaGTR @AleksandarSRB @photonrider @ToyGTone @iName @Andefir @Nexus @dacc10 @SJC ALPHA @gt4viper @05XR8 @cjr3559 @SomePlayaDude @919 Hybrid @kolio @All Your Base @ALeftRighter @MrGrado @Fire Yoshi @Boxer16Turbo @RCKakashi14 @787bcgr @sk8er913 @GTPVenomZombie @Neddo @CTznOfTime @snowgt @SVX @Bo @apff @CaptainTNT @Il_Conte_Sky @Last Daimyo @Chikane @Giygas @littleregret265 @jontikis @Pete05 @The Chosen One @lxmmy @Stephanos82 @Stephan @KiroKai @kembro @Dylan @OdeFinn @CT230R @alexnipi @rosckolove @Max911 @Ameer67 @Tornado @notsofast @GT_Alex74 @lbmomg95 @McClarenDesign @LM7325 @Arp 273 @VspecZR1GT2RS89 @Aggserp4 @RuddRacer @pretend racer @WheelmanSteve @girabyt3 @JER_CREST @FishHunters @Thematic @MightyL @Patrick8308

Okay, so I just got done looking through both threads for people who posted in them. If you're super confused as to why you've been called here, uh, hello! We've got our last week of GT6, and we're doing our last duel for the game, and we'd love all the turnout we can get! If you're not interested, thank you for showing up anyways. If you aren't but know someone who might be, send them here!

The online duels end on March 28th at 4am GMT. If you want to access the online events, here's the link for the group.

Even if you don't want to take part in the online events, we'd love to hear your opinion on the three cars we have in this three-way contest. Even if it's as simple as "I like muscle cars, I vote for the Cobra", "I like Ferraris, I vote for the F40" , or "I like Japanese cars, so I vote GT-R" we'll count it and we'll welcome any sort of participation.

Thank you all!

You know, I didn't think of that before. All three of these cars are technically in GT Sport as well.

Hey @MrWaflz55 think there might be some way that the folks who have already moved onto GT Sport can get in on this too? Maybe have them post a screenshot of a time trial laptime or drift trial score on the GT Sport tracks as well? I think this is the opportunity for a good bridge to GT Sport.

Also quick reminder, anyone can vote regardless of whether or not they can/will participate in the trials. If you like one car over either of the others, say so!

You know, I didn't think of that before. All three of these cars are technically in GT Sport as well.

Hey @MrWaflz55 think there might be some way that the folks who have already moved onto GT Sport can get in on this too? Maybe have them post a screenshot of a time trial laptime or drift trial score on the GT Sport tracks as well? I think this is the opportunity for a good bridge to GT Sport.

Also quick reminder, anyone can vote regardless of whether or not they can/will participate in the trials. If you like one car over either of the others, say so!

That’s what I’m planning on doing. They won’t be able to compete in the final time trials, but at least they can still vote.

So hey everyone: if you have a copy of GT Sport and want to participate in the final vote, you can go ahead and compare them in Sport if you wish.

If you want to take part in a separate GT Sport competition, post pictures of your lap times using all three cars in Suzuka Circuit in GT Sport. We’ll add a section into the final results poll for the GT Sport Suzuka time trial. Remember the Gentleman’s agreement, no tuning and sports hard tires are the maximum.

I'll make a video.

Sure, we’ll take videos too. Just make sure it’s Suzuka circuit and sports hard tires. It can either be a full video with time stamps in the description or three seperate lap replays. Either one works.
👍

The F40 in GTS is by far my favorite car in the game. It is far Superior to its GT6 counterpart running stock with all assist off but ABS. Because I still have both systems running at the moment I'm going to do both. I honestly think I will be much much faster on GTS but it should be interesting to see. Although you would pick Suzuka my least favorite real world track :lol: see you guys at the finish line.

well if I had my PS3 :indiff::indiff::indiff::indiff: still I would gladly participate and as most people on GTP know if they've seen my profile.... I'm a lover of Ferraris and I'd have to go with the F40 such a beautiful car and the very last Ferrari to have design influence from Enzo Ferrari himself. I know Ferrari will show up the competition as they always do! i'll be cheering from the sidelines guys!

66-shelby-cobra-427-dv-11-gc_a001-jpg.724105

It's a 1966 Shelby Cobra
-----------------------------------------

I tried to do the TT's but it kept on kicking me off:banghead:. So I decided to take the cars for a spin around the current intermediate seasonal event.

RLUES
detune all cars to 500pp.
All stock settings - no tuning.
TC1, ASM off, SRF on, ABS 1.
SH tyres.
1 race each - no practice.

First up, the COBRA.
IMAG0224.jpg

347hp, 1068 kg
Finished in P1.
Total time 6:34.089
F/L 1:12.366
As you would expect it lights up the rear wheels very easy, even on the straights. Fun car to drive but keeps you on your toes.
Gotta love the exhaust note and it's a beautiful looking old car.

2nd it was the F40.
IMAG0225.jpg

374hp, 1352kg.
Finished in P1
Total time 6:39.035
F/L 1:12.107
Was surprised how much over steer it has as I normally like how FERRARI's handle.
It has plenty of up and go compared to the others.
The stock gear ratio is horrible, you change into 2nd at 8000rpm and then it drops to 5000rpm:crazy:, I didn't even get to 4th or 5th gears.
Was a little disappointed with this car, as I had high hopes.
I do love the look of this car.

Lucky last it was the R35
IMAG0227.jpg

382hp, 1740kg.
Finished in P1
Total time 6:29.939
F/L 1:11.515
A very nice and safe car to drive, Almost boring compared to the others.
But you can throw it into the corners and you'll know you will be OK. The 4wd helps this car a lot.

AND THE WINNER IS:

R35

2nd: COBRA
3rd; F40

Thanks to everyone involved in this club, especially @MrWaflz55 and @ThrasherDBS, I have had a lot of fun with this, it is a shame it is ending. Maybe I'll see you guys on the dark side (GTS):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
It's a 1966 Shelby Cobra
View attachment 724105

"Top 10 Saddest Anime Betrayals"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, here we are at the end. It's been a fun ride and I'd like to thank everyone for contributing to this little community which has been the primary reason GT6 has had replayability for me ever since our humble beginnings back in 2015. It's been a ride, all thanks to our original fearless leader @Cowboy who got this started, and our current fearless leader @MrWaflz55 who kept it going after Cowboy stepped down. We've had some fun times, but now it's time to do the final write-up for GT6.

None of our combatants this week are strangers to our thread here. Over the course of the previous 125 contests we've had, we've run into these cars once or twice. What was interesting from the discussion that Waflz and I had prior to kicking this duel off for real was that each of these cars come from a different era of sports car, while also bringing together the fact that they're each from a different continent.

Kicking it off for America and the classic era of sports/muscle cars is the Shelby Cobra, (which I guess one can argue is actually a British car if we pay respect to the original AC Cobra.) The past times we've reviewed this car it hasn't quite come out on top as the fastest, but definitely the most fun to drive compared to other cars we've pit it against, and that still holds true this go around. The roll and the ability for it to kick the tail end out definitely makes it fun to just joyride.

Moving on to the "poster-on-the-wall" car from the glitzy 80s is the Italian stallion, the Ferrari F40, and the first production car to have a top speed surpassing 200 miles per hour. In contrast to the Cobra, this car's characteristics feel a lot more stiff than fun. I've stated the past times we've tested this car that it's got an odd sense of being stiff while also being oversteery. It's a surreal sort of sensation throwing this into corners.

Last but not least, we have the first production year of the R35 GT-R hailing from Japan, having separated itself from the Skyline nameplate five years prior. The R35 has been in production for close to eleven years now, which is a lot longer than the previous iterations of GT-R. This boasts comparable power to the other two cars, but one dramatic edge that it has over the other two is the 4WD which grants it a lot of stability at the cost of being considerably heavier and understeery.

How did these three fare on the Matterhorn Rotenboden course? (One of my old testing tracks at the beginning of my involvement in the Duel of the Week I might add)

Matterhorn Rotenboden Trial:
Cobra - 1:44.586
F40 - 1:45.150
R35 - 1:42.047

Unsurprisingly, on the very steep elevation changes of the Rotenboden, the GT-R held its ground and stability better than the other two, especially the F40 which felt extraordinarily awkward on the downhill. The Cobra had its share of problems as well, but at the very least it was fun to ride.

On the Trial Mountain Drift Trial (I killed that old gag dead, dammit) things were noticeably in the Cobra's favor, and most decidedly not the GT-R's. The F40 still felt awkward, but driftable. The Cobra's fun bouncy nature made it easy and natural to take corners sideways. The GT-R required fairly liberal application of the handbrake even on Comfort Hards.

At this point is where I'd end the post with my verdict, but at the same time, we are at a transitioning phase. It just so happens that these three cars are also available on GT Sport (only difference being that the GT-R is now the newest model instead of the oldest). I couldn't help but take each of them for a run. I adopted my old rules for their run around Suzuka. Each car gets three laps, and the best one is the one that gets recorded.

I recorded each session, with a quick run-through the settings to prove that I was running each of the cars on Sports Hards, no traction control, and stock settings. First immediate difference was that all three cars were a lot more of a handful than they were on GT6, to the point where I even wiped out with the GT-R (the most stable of the three, ironically).

Suzuka Trial:
Cobra - 2:26.716
F40 - 2:23.921
R35 - 2:22.792

Pretty clear winner there with the GT-R. It just seems to be that the 4WD system is what gives it an edge, which makes it faster and thus would get my vote.

Make no mistake though, if you want a fun car on either GT6 or GT Sport, splurge on the Cobra. It's a joy to drive, and probably the one I'd buy.

GT-R wins.

So far, we have @Vic Reign93 that's participated in the Open-Swim Drift Trial, absolutely smashing my record. We've still got plenty of time yet before the events close, so let's give them a go! Don't forget the Down and Dirty Finale too. I've put one of each permitted car around Toscana and have set some fairly decent times. Do me a favor and take me down a peg in your chosen off-road sports car. Oh, and if you don't have enough time for one more lap, but still have plenty of time to kill, do a 180 after the start line on the first corner, yank the parking brake, and admire the sunset as the trial ends at 2100 in-game time. It's breathtaking to watch, and a good ending to a wonderful era.

I tried to do the events through the club but I got disconnected only half a lap in. I've driven all three of the cars before though so I'll do my best to give a detailed rundown.

The GTR is the fastest and easiest to drive of the three and while it's heavier than the other two by quite a lot, it is nimble enough to be pretty fun to drive.
The F40 is the most versatile. It can drift well while still being fast. It can eventually get to a good lap, but it is not nearly as consistent to drive as the Nissan.
The Cobra is technically the slowest, but it is also the oldest. In my opinion it is the most fun to drive of the three and is the most significant in terms of what it has done to help advance the auto industry.
My vote goes to the Cobra because it started the trend of putting a big engine in a small car and it inspired a snake of a different name to be created.

As for the other events I'd use a Viper at Toscana and a Ram at SSR5 if I could stay connected. I'm not sure how well I would do in those events, but I am sure it would be a fun way to end.

Thanks for all of the good times (literal lap times and metaphorically) over the years!

Back