GT6 Gameplay Crashes by PS3 Model

• Thread starter Famine
  • 117 comments

Have you experienced any GT6 gameplay crashes (read post 1 before voting)

• No crashes: 1st generation fat (CECHA, B)

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • No crashes: 2nd generation fat (CECHC, E)

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • No crashes: 3rd generation fat/40Gb (CECHG, H, J)

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • No crashes: 3rd generation fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q)

Votes: 25 7.5%
  • No crashes: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

Votes: 132 39.8%
  • No crashes: 5th generation superslim (CECH40)

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • Crashed!: 1st generation fat (CECHA, B)

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Crashed!: 2nd generation fat (CECHC, E)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Crashed!: 3rd generation fat/40Gb (CECHG, H, J)

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Crashed!: 3rd generation fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q)

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Crashed!: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

Votes: 62 18.7%
  • Crashed!: 5th generation superslim (CECH40)

Votes: 17 5.1%

• Total voters
No triple-beep crashes, so voted "no crashes".

Some freezes though, which, for some reason, seem sound-related to me.

Honestly I didn't know there was different kinds lol.I just went to my local tech store and found usb laptop fans and bought the cheapest one.I have one similar to this http://images.thesource.ca/images/Online/26/2606145l.jpg but with two bigger fans on the side instead of 3 Small ones.

Oh I understand, you're using a laptop cooling pad.. I might have one lying around so I'll give it a shot. By the way, have you drilled holes?

Oh I understand, you're using a laptop cooling pad.. I might have one lying around so I'll give it a shot. By the way, have you drilled holes?
Oh sorry!!I thought I had said that already lol...No I've never heard of this before,whats the purpose of drilling the holes?
Edit:looked it up,no I haven't done it and probably never will.More places for dust/debris to get in=bad idea,not worth the long term risk for a couple degrees cooler.

Last edited:
I currently have no issues on the first 120GB Slim model.

When GT6 was just released I had some flickering sky and black screne issues when racing online at Mount Panorama (Bathurst). When I would exit the online lobby my PS3 would sometimes crash (triple beeps). This seems to have been patched or has fixed itself, I don't have this problem anymore.

No crashes whatsoever from a 40GB fat PS3 bought some time in mid to late 2008. The only lock-ups have been the result of bizarre coding or software errors (for instance, attempting to rewind a replay as it tries to exit the replay when it is finished leads to the game hanging at a GT loading screen).

I have the 320 gig move bundle one, and the only time It's done anything like that is get eternally stuck loading, then I have to turn it off and it triple-beeps.

I got a crash just yesterday at Ascari. PS3 250GB slim.
I was coming to the first hairpin, just after the starting chicane, and tapped the M3 GT2 in front of me. Then the game froze, and after a few minutes crashed and restarted the PS3.

It did slow down on me once for 2 seconds or so. After that the tire screeching sound didn't go away until I restarted the game by going back to the home screen.

It's crashing whenever I go to the dealership to buy a car.
Any help will be appreciated.
Take backup of your savegame(to usb stick), delete gamedata from xmb and do reinstall. If everything goes well you don't need that backup of your savegame. You'll have to redeem your anni/pre.order codes again to get those cars usable.
Reinstall helped me on similar problem.

FYI, deleting Game Data will also delete all the patches, so you'll have to re-download all of those also.

You'll have to redeem your anni/pre.order codes again to get those cars usable.

You do not need to redeem them again....just go the Download section of the PSN Store, the codes are already saved there.

Take backup of your savegame(to usb stick), delete gamedata from xmb and do reinstall. If everything goes well you don't need that backup of your savegame. You'll have to redeem your anni/pre.order codes again to get those cars usable.
Reinstall helped me on similar problem.

Which PS3 do you own? Fat/Slim/Superslim?

Happened on 3rd gen fat"80gb", now using 4th gen slim(25xx) no crashes on 3+ weeks use.

I'm going to try the Fan booster mod and also replace the thermal paste under the heat spreaders, if it doesn't work I'll make the switch to the slim/super slim.

superslim bought in december
lots of crash
most of them when playing with gearbox settings online
there is also artefacts, i guess it's faulty hardware or already overheating, i doubt it will survive to summer

2nd Gen FAT with no crashes. I don't look after it very well and it's quite dusty, plus my dog likes to leave a thorough coating of fur all over the house at certain times of the year. I've played on days when we've had 35 degrees (centigrade) and while the fan works a little harder the only problem has been me sweating.

I did treat it to a new HDD about a year ago as I ran out of space.

Perhaps it's the dog hair and dust which are making it work........

Oh, a quick thought for those using an SSD. I don't think the PS3 supports TRIM which will mean that performance will become a lot worse over time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)). It is possible that disk access times may become so high that this provokes a crash.

Just had my first crash, at least that I can recall, while watching the replay after 15 Lap Challenge of Brands Hatch. The race didn't save unfortunately.

For those interested:
Code:
Model                  Y/N       rate    sensitivity

CECHA, B               17/9      65%     (63% / 67%) 
CECHC, E               6/11      35%     (33% / 39%) 
CECHG, H, J            6/17      26%     (25% / 29%)
CECHK, L, M, P, Q      8/18      31%     (30% / 33%)
CECH20, 21, 25, 30     44/108    29%     (29% / 29%)
CECH40                 16/22     42%     (41% / 44%)

Total 282 votes.

"Y/N" are the numbers of votes for those that did crash and those that didn't, respectively; the "rate" is then the proportion of yes answers from the total for that model; and "sensitivity" shows the percentages for one more no vote and one more yes vote respectively (just to show that the low numbers of votes for some models may cause the "rate" figure to be skewed and non-representative).

The mean "crash rate" for all models is 34%. That drops to 31% without CECHA, B; then 29% without CECHA, B and CECH40 (a 15% reduction in the rate for a 23% reduction in votes).

It still seems the first and last generations are the "worst", according to these votes.

So, broadly, 1 in 3 voters have crashes, and a CECHA, B is more than twice as likely to crash as a CECH20, 21, 25, 30.
Note also that 1 in 2 voters have a CECH20, 21, 25, 30.

Off topic, but I feel it must be shared-
To all those wondering if they should switch from a fat to a slim-
I had a launch system (Came with free Ricky Bobby Blu-Ray), and played it at least once or twice a week until the first week of last November, where I got the GTA 5 bundle with the 250gb superslim.
My games are running much more smooth now and the system isn't freezing as bad as my fatty was in the last year of its life. Sure, there are freezes still, but that's almost never the system's fault and more the fault of today's half finished games put up on the shelf.

Fourth Gen CECH25

System froze solid when my Audi R10 was under auto control on pit entry at the end of lap 3 of the Le Mans 24 minutes. No button on wheel or DS3 would respond.

Pressed start button and got three beeps. On restart I was prompted to sent data to Sony, I did, and was offered system check, declined.

I'm going to take off the heat spreaders and re-apply thermal paste and see if it works. If not, I'm going to archive my fat and go for the slim/super-slim.

Back