GT6 Gameplay Crashes by PS3 Model

• Thread starter Famine
  • 117 comments

Have you experienced any GT6 gameplay crashes (read post 1 before voting)

• No crashes: 1st generation fat (CECHA, B)

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • No crashes: 2nd generation fat (CECHC, E)

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • No crashes: 3rd generation fat/40Gb (CECHG, H, J)

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • No crashes: 3rd generation fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q)

Votes: 25 7.5%
  • No crashes: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

Votes: 132 39.8%
  • No crashes: 5th generation superslim (CECH40)

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • Crashed!: 1st generation fat (CECHA, B)

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Crashed!: 2nd generation fat (CECHC, E)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Crashed!: 3rd generation fat/40Gb (CECHG, H, J)

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Crashed!: 3rd generation fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q)

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Crashed!: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

Votes: 62 18.7%
  • Crashed!: 5th generation superslim (CECH40)

Votes: 17 5.1%

• Total voters
I don't think you're right (see http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-n...explained-an-ssd-primer/2/?PageSpeed=noscript or look at a review like http://www.anandtech.com/show/7908/adata-sp920-128gb-256gb-512gb-1tb-review/2). SSDs have had garbage collection for a long time but they can't see when a file is deleted unless the OS tells them.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/279412-32-trim-garbage-collection-beating-dead-horse

Well, read above post and remember to open that quoted private email paste too.

Garbage collection is just constantly working feature on drive, TRIM makes same when OS or user does query to do it.
Garbage collection is working on slower speed than TRIM, because it's constantly working on background/idle, results are really close to identical after some period of time.

I can't see anything in the link you provide which answers the first person's question. The point remains that the SSD firmware cannot know when the OS has deleted a file. This is explained in the first link I provided.

However, this was an aside in my first post and I think this is all getting off topic. I'd be happy to discuss this further via either a PM or in a relevant thread.

A more relevant point might be to discuss if the beep crash cycle is caused by overheating in which case it might be worth asking respondents if they run at 720P or 1080P or if they use cockpit view. These factors may have an impact on CPU/GPU usage and therefore temperature.

Been experiencing this crashing issue extensively now. Haven't been able to run the nee Goodwood Track. It usually just happens during driving buy now it happens on the race menu screen.

Plus my problem is compounded by the fact the contacts on the board below the touch sensitive buttons are rusted so I can't turn back on the PS3 via the buttons or DS3 because it loses sync when I have to switch it off from the back. I have to keep my drive empty and just place attempt to insert a disc to turn back on the PS3. I've fix the rust issue before, just haven't gotten around to it again yet.

Basically playing GT6 is becoming a pain, can't actively take part in seasonals, GT Academy etc without a crash.

I only started experiencing it so much after 1.07 I think. This issue needs to be addressed.

Side note, it happened once while playing NBA 2K14 and I run that from the disk as well as GT6 but that was after like 2 hours of gameplay on a hot day

Been experiencing this crashing issue extensively now. Haven't been able to run the nee Goodwood Track. It usually just happens during driving buy now it happens on the race menu screen.

Plus my problem is compounded by the fact the contacts on the board below the touch sensitive buttons are rusted so I can't turn back on the PS3 via the buttons or DS3 because it loses sync when I have to switch it off from the back. I have to keep my drive empty and just place attempt to insert a disc to turn back on the PS3. I've fix the rust issue before, just haven't gotten around to it again yet.

Basically playing GT6 is becoming a pain, can't actively take part in seasonals, GT Academy etc without a crash.

I only started experiencing it so much after 1.07 I think. This issue needs to be addressed.

Side note, it happened once while playing NBA 2K14 and I run that from the disk as well as GT6 but that was after like 2 hours of gameplay on a hot day
Overheat issue on fat or slim ps3? Mine was never overheat since July 2011.

I'm also experiencing overheating issues on FAT 3rd generation and some freezings here and there. Mount Panorama online still freezes the console everytime... And sometimes the game gets stuck on menus. :(

After I voted as below I had a few triple beeps.

* No crashes: 3rd generation fat/Other (CECHK, L, M, P, Q)
* No crashes: 4th generation slim (CECH20, 21, 25, 30)

Then I installed a very fast hard drive. It's a Seagate 750GB 7,200rpm hybrid drive. The game starts in 35 seconds now.

Since then I have had no triple beeps.

Might be coincidence of course, since the game and system software has been changing too.

I was gone for 10 days...right after the recent update and just completed a lap for the 2nd Senna race...and the game didn't load the menu, and just idled the car around the track. I pressed the PS3 button and will have to go through the 'the system didn't shut down correctly' again.

EDIT: the game wouldn't let the system shut down and had to unplug the power cord what kind of crap is this.

I have the 250gb superslim PS3 which is only over a year old.

Had my 2nd gen fat 80gb (pal) ps3 since it released. Has had 100's of games. 0 crashes (and still using very first controller and cable)

I have a fourth generation Slim and it tends to crash when the game cannot connect to the online server for any reason, like when I start up the game and is connecting to the server for the first time. When it crashes, it's almost always there. I've not changed the HDD, it's still using the same that came with the PS3. It only happens with GT6, no other game crashes like that.

Took me 2 days by I not too long finished deleting GT6 PSN editiong and reinstalling and patching.

Game actually loaded faster, haven't redone thumbnails yet though.

Was able to finally run the new Goodwood track. Did the seasonal race on Apricot Hill. Was feeling good with myself until I then tried to do the seasonal race on Autumn Ring, crashed on the race menu screen.

The only thing changed is possibly where the data was stored or where an error occurred during download. Will try replacing the hard drive as it's a few years old and we know they ain't design to last forever plus it's in a system with no disk management that I know off.

Anyone tried the Hybrid drives? Mix of SSD and traditional HDDs.

I have been suffering these crashes since I got the game (PSN download version) on my 2nd gen CECH C console with a 320GB HDD. It seems to happen at random, although it did occur a lot during the 'Like the Wind' Indy event for me.

any way to upgrade/fix 1st gen 20 gb ps3 to be able to play GT6 ... i just upgraded the HD to a WD 500GB drive to be able to handle all the updates but it crashes within 10 minutes of playtime ... need help please ...

will upgrading to a 128 SSD HD fix the problem?

any way to upgrade/fix 1st gen 20 gb ps3 to be able to play GT6 ... i just upgraded the HD to a WD 500GB drive to be able to handle all the updates but it crashes within 10 minutes of playtime ... need help please ...

It can help if your reason is heat generated by that 500GB HDD, If crashes started soon as you upgraded HDD I would suggest to do full reinstall if you just use Backup/restore during HDD update, if already reinstalled then probably reason is heat generated by that HDD.
SSD drives are practically stone cold all the time, so it might help.

I'm thinking that 128GBs might be only a short term solution.

I have a 750GB hybrid drive which shows up as 698GBs in System Settings/System Information. It is showing as 522GBs available, so about 170GBs consumed.

I wouldn't count myself as a diverse PS3 gamer, with most of the space taken up by GT5 and GT6. Admittedly, I do save a LOT of replays and take a lot of photos.

If you can get the WD 500GB drive to work, that'd be a good and cost-effective path. All the data will be bunched up in the outer cylinders, and you'll see pretty good performance.

I'll support the suggestion from @OdeFinn to do a backup/restore. I've found that to be a way of cleaning up crash issues.

@GBO Possum I'm on 120SSD 4th gen slim, two freezes after one GT6 update, did reinstall and zero problems.
120gb is enough if not pushing all possible games there, your hybrid file allocation table takes a lot more than mine, there you lost lot of space. In percentages we lost pretty much same percentage for allocation table, it just looks bigger on your drive.

I've got a 128 GB SSD with a little under two dozen PSN titles, GT5, MGS4, GTA V and one or two other "Press X to wait 40 minutes for initial installation" disc titles, a few things downloaded off of YouTube and some music and I'm still knocking over 20 GB. Granted, that's not counting the since-removed GT6 and it's dozen or so updates since I removed it, but I imagine GT5 being deleted would whack a good portion of that off. And the SSD was an emergency replacement for a 640GB WD 7200RPM drive that blew up, but an emergency replacement that I found unnecessary to actually replace.

It really just comes down to how you use your PS3.

Last edited:
I have the 80GB Fat PS3 model (3rd Generation Fat ) and my GT6 sometimes crashes, especially when I go to replay function or when I exit/restart races.

Guys,

I am having major problems with GT6 across multiple PS3's and ISP's. Hangs up trying to enter all online races and most internal gameplay races. Even when switching between cars it will hang up like crazy. Right now I am waiting over 15 minutes to attempt to get to a Seasonal Race. If I quit out, the PS3 will then hang up and eventually restart.

Everything was fine before 1.18!!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PD - are you reading this????

Looks like I will never get to tryout the Academy....

Gersh

Back