GT6 Mt Panorama demo at EB Expo, Sydney

• Thread starter Flunkus
  • 323 comments
What a pleasant surprise Mount Panorama being at EB Expo, thanks for share guys 👍

Framerate drops when screen is loaded seems inevitable.... Especially since PD have increased resolution - 12% - and corrected defects of GT5. It shows limits of the PS3, simply.

The Last of Us and GTA V have framerate drops to 30-20 fps, it will not escape GT6. We can only hope it isn't too violent. 60-50 fps is correct.

Thank you very much for your impressions and video.

Non-racing games don't need high frame rates as player moving speeds are much much lower and the game needs more power to draw the backgrounds as they usually have much more detail than in racing games...

It was not laser scanned by PD.

I did not say that. I was saying that a track that has been lazer scanned for a game will be pretty much spot on, so I don't see what all the fuss is about. The track is very narrow, and it will be very narrow in the game.

Bathurst is narrow. Driving round it when it's not in "race mode" (ie. when it's a public road, which is 99% of the year) it fits two lanes of traffic with not much room to spare.

The other thing that may make it look excessively narrow is the barriers - little to no run off over the top, with the bottom more of a "traditional" layout (but still narrow, even on the pit straight).

in real life videos it looks like you could at least fit 3 cars side by side on any of the track's corners.

Not really. Maybe in a static situation, but the racing line is extremely "specific" with Bathurst. Many corners need to be sacrificed for what follows making any perceived width irrelevant.

Overtaking over the top is rare and fraught with danger.

That's a FOV issue, the Nordschleife in GT5 also appears too narrow for a lot of people, but once you put several cars side by side, you notice that it's pretty spot on. The track is narrow as hell compared to most modern tracks, which is one part why it's so much fun.

Oh and I'm surprised how many people here have never driven it in other sims.

Yep, it's definitely a field of view issue. The narrower the field of view - the wider the track will appear. Also, the youtube video is filmed from the side of the screen, which makes everything look more narrow than it is. Take the width of the squeezed McLaren and you'll find that it will fit about three times on the width of the squeezed track.

As narrow as Bathurst is, it is still wide compared to normal driving roads.

You could easily fit 4 cars side by side at any point of the track. The racing line and speed makes it seem a lot narrower in real life.

Here's a few pictures from when I was there last year. I thought it would be relevant to show them here, as they give you a good idea of how narrow the track gets towards the top of the mountain, and the elevation changes. It was as narrow as a typical two-lane public road.

Maybe the high walls give the illusion that it's narrower than it actually is?

472_zps937241db.jpg

477_zps2852c47e.jpg

480_zpsbeb28724.jpg

482_zps616a1bc7.jpg

497_zps89e9e298.jpg

498_zpscfa40bab.jpg

503_zps16542891.jpg

Maybe the high walls give the illusion that it's narrower than it actually is?
Perhaps? I did a lap around the circuit a few weeks ago and it does definitely feel a lot narrower from Skyline to Forest's Elbow, but yeah, I do think the high walls and tight bends give off that illusion.

I did not say that. I was saying that a track that has been lazer scanned for a game will be pretty much spot on, so I don't see what all the fuss is about. The track is very narrow, and it will be very narrow in the game.

But PD didn't laser scan it and thats why people are questioning it. Your response confuses me.

But PD didn't laser scan it and thats why people are questioning it. Your response confuses me.

How do you know? I'm pretty sure they laser scanned nurburgring and maybe a few other, but I don't know anything about bathurst as it has been revealed very lately.

How do you know? I'm pretty sure they laser scanned nurburgring and maybe a few other, but I don't know anything about bathurst as it has been revealed very lately.

Because people saw PD scanning the track, walking round with GPS equipment. If they laser scanned it you would notice the truck with huge camera crawling round the track.

No tracks in GT are laser scanned.

Here is a picture and video I found on the net of PD scanning the Bathurst track over a year ago, they were using a big truck, helicopter and lots of taking pictures :

original.jpg

I thought this was common knowledge...maybe everyone forgot about it. :)

Here is a picture and video I found on the net of PD scanning the Bathurst track over a year ago, they were using a big truck, helicopter and lots of taking pictures :

original.jpg

Once upon a time it was a one way road, but due to the residents and the fact that it is wide enough to have two oppisote flows of traffice I don't think it is narrow at all, but thats me I drive around this track any chance I get and fact I only live like 3 hours away and have relos in bathurst I know this track well lol

That picture I posted was credited to you Froudeybrand :) Forgot to mention it.

What was the truck for if by any chance you met with them and had a chat ?

Because people saw PD scanning the track, walking round with GPS equipment. If they laser scanned it you would notice the truck with huge camera crawling round the track. No tracks in GT are laser scanned.

^This, they take thousands of pictures and with the GPS data they recreate the circuits.

I would think it might be easier to just laser scan a track and input the data and have it pop out semi-finished, than trying to design the track from thousands of photographs. Seems like trying to use 90's technology in 2013.

Is this PD's "new" camera truck?

2rze.jpg

^This, they take thousands of pictures and with the GPS data they recreate the circuits.

“For a single track, we take over 100,000 photos and laser scan the track surface, and we also use images captured from helicopters and satellites,” Mr. Yamauchi said. “The discrepancy of track accuracy is down to plus or minus one centimeter. We do the same for cars; we take several hundred photos for each car, laser scan the surface, the exterior, the interior, the instrument panels.”

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/gt6-how-video-games-can-influence-sports-car-design/?_r=0

I think a lot of the pictures they take are for textures and the scenery itself.

How big is your display and how far are you from it? It makes a difference.

What do you mean ? Mine is 40inch LCD. It can handle 1080P but I use 720P for PS3 as most games use that as native resolution. I have seen article on internet saying you have to be at certain distance to have proper effect of 1080P but fps wise it does not matter. I am generally 6-7 feet from the TV. I had no problem on GT5. May be if I think really hard Monza turn1 in rain there might some fps drop. But I am not sure. I have GT5 and today did the update too played little bit GT5 dry, no issues whatsoever.

So where did you get your magical copy of GT5 that doesn't have the known FPS issues the other 10 million copies out there have?

Laser...

Anyway, they don't no.

Does PD not lazer scan any of their tracks?

For a single track, we take over 100,000 photos and laser scan the track surface, and we also use images captured from helicopters and satellites,” Mr. Yamauchi said. “The discrepancy of track accuracy is down to plus or minus one centimeter. We do the same for cars; we take several hundred photos for each car, laser scan the surface, the exterior, the interior, the instrument panels

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/gt6-how-video-games-can-influence-sports-car-design/?_r=0
Article from a few weeks ago 👍

Back