GT6 Mt Panorama demo at EB Expo, Sydney

• Thread starter Flunkus
  • 323 comments
Yeah, I did forget to say "man-(times)," as Samus points out. And I know I haven't played all that many late gen racers besides GTR and LFS, but GT5's Nordschleife is the best I've seen.

CARS' one looks very promising, it's no longer the wide and dumbed down version that Shift had, although even Shift's Nurb is better than FM's one.

I only see there are 2 objects on top of the truck, not very clear though, and still no hard clear evidence at all to support your opinion.

I'm merely offering it as a potential alternative explanation.

Frankly, we know from what PD has said in the past that they work from photographs and GPS data. That's an accepted method for them and we all know it.

I'd imagine that if someone wanted to claim that they were using another method of track data collection, that would require some evidence.

Honestly, if PD was laser scanning I'm pretty sure we'd hear about it. There's no point if you don't tell anyone about it. It's a fairly large advertising point to not be using.

Frankly, we know from what PD has said in the past that they work from photographs and GPS data. That's an accepted method for them and we all know it.

I'd imagine that if someone wanted to claim that they were using another method of track data collection, that would require some evidence.

Honestly, if PD was laser scanning I'm pretty sure we'd hear about it. There's no point if you don't tell anyone about it. It's a fairly large advertising point to not be using.

You did: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/gt6-how-video-games-can-influence-sports-car-design/?_r=1

“For a single track, we take over 100,000 photos and laser scan the track surface, and we also use images captured from helicopters and satellites,” Mr. Yamauchi said. “The discrepancy of track accuracy is down to plus or minus one centimeter. We do the same for cars; we take several hundred photos for each car, laser scan the surface, the exterior, the interior, the instrument panels.”

He said that building a digital recreation of a track took about a year and a car six months. There are about 170 people working on programing and graphics.

Again-

PD (Kaz) also said the above about including laser scanning tracks.

This.

PD seems to shout about their links to manufacturers, how GTA turns gamers into racing drivers. But this only gets a mention in a blog, be it a large one, but not at E3, TGS or anywhere else including their own site?

Something doesn't add up, and the guys interviews are known for translation errors, so excuse people if they still seem skeptical.

You did: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/gt6-how-video-games-can-influence-sports-car-design/?_r=1

“For a single track, we take over 100,000 photos and laser scan the track surface, and we also use images captured from helicopters and satellites,” Mr. Yamauchi said. “The discrepancy of track accuracy is down to plus or minus one centimeter. We do the same for cars; we take several hundred photos for each car, laser scan the surface, the exterior, the interior, the instrument panels.”

He said that building a digital recreation of a track took about a year and a car six months. There are about 170 people working on programing and graphics.

I must have missed that one. Thanks.

It's much more plausible to me that they're laser scanning if they've actually mentioned it. I assumed they hadn't.

This.

PD seems to shout about their links to manufacturers, how GTA turns gamers into racing drivers. But this only gets a mention in a blog, be it a large one, but not at E3, TGS or anywhere else including their own site?

Something doesn't add up, and the guys interviews are known for translation errors, so excuse people if they still seem skeptical.

It's a much bigger PR point to mention manufacturer collaborations and how the game gives you an opportunity to become a real race car driver, considering this would appeal to even non-gamers. Boasting about laser scanning a track would appeal to us dedicated gamers but I doubt the general public or casual players even really care. It makes me wonder if casual gamers even know Polyphony laser scans their cars.

I don't see why people make distinction between, for example, laguna seca as a "standard track" and nurburgring as a "premium" track. Maybe the environment textures are not as goos as with nurburgring, but the layout is identical to the real one. Maybe they sometimes spend more time making high textures but every real tracks are identical when it comes to the layouts, same for motegi, laguna seca...

I don't see why people make distinction between, for example, laguna seca as a "standard track" and nurburgring as a "premium" track. Maybe the environment textures are not as goos as with nurburgring, but the layout is identical to the real one. Maybe they sometimes spend more time making high textures but every real tracks are identical when it comes to the layouts, same for motegi, laguna seca...

If it helps, I think that Nurb has "standard" textures too, only Madrid and Eiger can be considered "Premium" in my eyes.

Yea agreed,watching racing there in real life 3 cars can side by side and from that footage 2 cars can barely run side by side. In terms of the elevation changes they seemed to have it fairly spot on which a lot of other games hav failed at,can't wait to cut some laps around there!!

Which is why I HOPE users will be patient to pass. If the new physics, aero, tyre model are good enough with stock race/road cars, racing should be more realistic. Well, challenging anyway.

I find most tracks in GT appear narrower in the game than they really are. Watching Nurb replays for example from the birdseye view, the track always looks much wider than it does from the hood or cockpit cam I'd normally use. I think Bathurst will look even narrower due to the ominous walls along the side of the track.

That narrow looking tracks coming from the too narrow FOV of GT5/6...

A narrow FOV makes the track look wider. The track will take up a larger proportion of the width of the screen with the FOV at 55° than it will with the FOV at 90°.

Custom FOV is used on this video - 97% screen angle and 63 degree angle of view. Gives better wider field of view without causing fish eye or the chase cam car looks tiny. 65 degree also works great.

Sorry if OT.

A narrow FOV makes the track look wider. The track will take up a larger proportion of the width of the screen with the FOV at 55° than it will with the FOV at 90°.

When I set up the FOV to 59° in GT5 using the secret menu. The Ring looks wider and not even narrower.

^ That's probably because default GT5 field of view angle is around 55 degree, any higher will make the camera sits further back, gives wider view, makes the car smaller too. This also affects replay cam angle and track view angle when in pre-driving menu.

I took some pictures of my custom FOV, not very good quality, but you get the idea :)

9532841829_c52fe6932a_b_d.jpg

9532841963_4dd5074897_b_d.jpg

9532841945_62f3cf5ce0_b_d.jpg

9532841905_ec04143bac_b_d.jpg

9532841887_ce92a9fb16_b_d.jpg

Just to clarify things, I looked at my settings again, turns out I made some little changes, the pictures above and the McLaren uses 97% on adjust angle of view and Y viewing angle of 65.

Please tell me, does the track looks narrower there ?

Last edited:
Here my Custom FOV set to 59° on Top Gear Test Track. The track looks wider.

55°
15536597jt.jpg

59°
15536598vt.jpg

I think we go too OT now though.

Laguna Seca in GT5 is NOT up to date and identical to real life.

I think that the high wall are the ones that make it look narrower than it actually is. Are those that high in real life?

There's something weird about it, it just doesn't look right to me aswell.

I think it's just the camera angle. The fact that it was a messy lap and he had to avoid the mobile chicanes might give the perception that it is narrower also. I think it is actually as narrow as the Monaco Grand Prix Circuit in some sections.

Latest Posts

Back