GT6 Needs A Skid Pad For Tuning

• Thread starter MX5Racer69
  • 12 comments
United States
Addison, TX
MX5_Racer_69
Ok, I've mentioned this before back in the GT5 days, but now it's gotten worse. At least in GT5 we had the Twin Ring Motegi Oval track. While not a skid pad per say, it did give tuners one moderately tight sweeper and one slightly larger radius sweeper to test high speed grip in the corners. You could take a car out, put the hammer down and test how well the car held it's line at high speed. By watching the tire temperatures, you could tell if you had slight oversteer or understeer issues.

But for some reason, GT6 decided to drop this track (or I was unable to find it). This forces me to now use the Cape Ring Inside track for tuning purposes. It's not a bad track for tuning. It's short. It has many of the elements you will see on other tracks. So it's not bad. But I miss that little oval. Testing using that track usually left no doubt in my mind whether or not a tune helped or hurt a car. If it was faster ... it was faster. The lap times don't lie.

That said, first thing I'm going to do when we get a track designer is create a simple skid pad for testing purposes. In the meantime, what tracks do you guys typically use for tuning purposes?

Edit: I think it's worth mentioning why I use a short track for tuning. Basically, in my opinion, every tuning adjustment is theoretical without an actual lap time to back it up. A short track reduces my testing time by providing me quick feedback with a lap time in the shortest amount of time possible.

Last edited:
I agree on the skip pad. It would be very useful. I use Deep Forest for my tuning. The track is very demanding and will show you what problems your car has. It has a variety of flat corners to really see how well your car is turning and how neutral is behaves. It also has a variety of cambered corner with some that will really disrupt the suspension. It will show your tunes demons really fast if you hit the right line. Also Matterhorn seems to really test your cars demons as well. Also make sure to dedicate your car to a certain PP so you can record lap times and specific cornering speeds.

Good point Ace. One known flaw with my approach is that the tunes are setup for a smooth track. I compensate for that by softening the suspension and increasing the wheel travel on bumpier courses.

Ok, I've mentioned this before back in the GT5 days, but now it's gotten worse. At least in GT5 we had the Twin Ring Motegi Oval track. While not a skid pad per say, it did give tuners one moderately tight sweeper and one slightly larger radius sweeper to test high speed grip in the corners. You could take a car out, put the hammer down and test how well the car held it's line at high speed. By watching the tire temperatures, you could tell if you had slight oversteer or understeer issues.

But for some reason, GT6 decided to drop this track (or I was unable to find it). This forces me to now use the Cape Ring Inside track for tuning purposes. It's not a bad track for tuning. It's short. It has many of the elements you will see on other tracks. So it's not bad. But I miss that little oval. Testing using that track usually left no doubt in my mind whether or not a tune helped or hurt a car. If it was faster ... it was faster. The lap times don't lie.

That said, first thing I'm going to do when we get a track designer is create a simple skid pad for testing purposes. In the meantime, what tracks do you guys typically use for tuning purposes?

Edit: I think it's worth mentioning why I use a short track for tuning. Basically, in my opinion, every tuning adjustment is theoretical without an actual lap time to back it up. A short track reduces my testing time by providing me quick feedback with a lap time in the shortest amount of time possible.

Streets of Willow has a skid pad. Not sure how useful it'll be in your tuning quest, but it's a good size. You can run the course CCW and carry speed into the skid pad. It's my home track in real life and quite popular for test and tune in the track community.

Streets of Willow has a skid pad. Not sure how useful it'll be in your tuning quest, but it's a good size. You can run the course CCW and carry speed into the skid pad. It's my home track in real life and quite popular for test and tune in the track community.
Wait, you can get to that? I thought it was blocked off by a fence! I'm gonna have to try this tonight.

I was surprised that they included Streets of Willow. When I saw it next to "Big Willow" under course selection while I was doing some test driving I was thrilled. Yeah, the skidpad is 100% accessible, just ignore the cones. This thing is just like in real life it's awesome. You can even off-road around the "infield" if you dare. I'm going to try it with the Ram truck lol.

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/page.php?id=31

Yep I'd say that OP needs to head to willow Springs. There is a perfect circle skid pad there.
I've been using it quite a bit

Back