GT6 News Discussion

• Thread starter Matty
  • 8,352 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the id numbers are just there for the programmers since these are supposedly from an early version of the game.

Stopwatch in hand it's a under the minute job to remove them and display a clean screenshot showcasing the interface of the game. I find it hard to believe this has just been overlooked.

Ey, is anyone excited that the new Mercedes is going to have a great engine sound in GT6? No? Didn't you guys care about better engine sounds for years?
I love the car I think it's an awesome addition to the game and can't wait to drive it, but to be honest, the fact that Mercedes engineers have done the sound and not PD is the part I'm most looking forward to:mischievous::lol:

I love the car I think it's an awesome addition to the game and can't wait to drive it, but to be honest, the fact that Mercedes engineers have done the sound and not PD is the part I'm most looking forward to:mischievous::lol:
They got some smart people over there so I'm getting my hopes up.

Huh? Merc did the sounds for their cars not PD? SOURCE?

Source....

Edit: It doesn't say they did the sounds for the car in the game. It only says they did a special exhaust note for the car. How that translates into GT6 is up to PD.

Huh? Merc did the sounds for their cars not PD? SOURCE?
News page, can't miss it.

I can imagine the conversation:

PD: Heck of a job guys car looks great, we'll take the drawings/specs whatever back and draw it now.

Merc: What about the sounds?

PD: Don't worry we'll take care of that.

From across the room comes running GTP_GermanGuy and says: Hey guys, couldn't help but overhear your conversation, how about letting us take a crack at the sound PD?

PD: No, no, it's ok, no trouble, we've got plenty of V8 sounds we can use.

GTP_GermanGuy: :odd::odd::odd: Oh no trouble at all PD, don't put yourself out, we'll take care of it.

PD: Ok, if you insist.

PD guys walks away muttering, "I hope they get it perfect, otherwise Kaz will be pi$$ed because he thinks all our sounds are perfect"...

Ey, is anyone excited that the new Mercedes is going to have a great engine sound in GT6? No? Didn't you guys care about better engine sounds for years?
You note 1 car out of more than a 1000, and expect us to be excited? :eek:

Though I'm usually the one not to get hopes up, I'm actually interested to see what the car sounds like now that it has been made clear that Mercedes themselves dealt with the exhaust notes. Regardless of the fact that it's 1 out of 1000 cars, I'm intrigued about how a car in Gran Turismo can sound with some 'personal' input from the manufacture.

The Merc's "special exhaust" stuff is a load of waffle. Unless there's 8 turbos, they're not actually doing anything but contributing flow noise - vacuum cleaner at high revs, but will sound "chuffy" at lower rpm. Maybe there's an interesting interference pattern coming from them, but nobody's going to notice that! What matters is way back in the manifolds and any mixing between the banks of cylinders (e.g. X-pipe) - the mufflers etc. are just colour.

As for Mercedes doing the sounds, I'm not actually sure how they'd do it. The recording PD does is fine for the games, but the sample format so far is heavily hamstrung. PD's new sound generation method (i.e. the real-time synthesis in the game, not just how they prepare them in the studio) is likely alien to Mercedes anyway, moreso than "traditional" sampling, depending how far they've gone. It's wishful thinking to assume Mercedes could actually produce (/ take the time to do) sounds for real-time playback in the first place.

Of course, Mercedes could provide whatever info PD need to fill in the gaps in their model, access to the cars / engines and their facilities for recording. As could any manufacturer for their respective cars (notably, Audi has done).
It doesn't say that Mercedes actually made the samples that will ship with GT6, and it sure as hell doesn't mean that they made the sounds for PD's new system, either.

The Merc's "special exhaust" stuff is a load of waffle. Unless there's 8 turbos, they're not actually doing anything but contributing flow noise - vacuum cleaner at high revs, but will sound "chuffy" at lower rpm. Maybe there's an interesting interference pattern coming from them, but nobody's going to notice that! What matters is way back in the manifolds and any mixing between the banks of cylinders (e.g. X-pipe) - the mufflers etc. are just colour.

As for Mercedes doing the sounds, I'm not actually sure how they'd do it. The recording PD does is fine for the games, but the sample format so far is heavily hamstrung. PD's new sound generation method (i.e. the real-time synthesis in the game, not just how they prepare them in the studio) is likely alien to Mercedes anyway, moreso than "traditional" sampling, depending how far they've gone. It's wishful thinking to assume Mercedes could actually produce (/ take the time to do) sounds for real-time playback in the first place.

Of course, Mercedes could provide whatever info PD need to fill in the gaps in their model, access to the cars / engines and their facilities for recording. As could any manufacturer for their respective cars (notably, Audi has done).
It doesn't say that Mercedes actually made the samples that will ship with GT6, and it sure as hell doesn't mean that they made the sounds for PD's new system, either.

I think it would really help PD if they got assistance from Yamaha be it some form of consulting role or actually assisting in the sounds.

Them double posts.

But I completely agree with you @Griffith500; one can only hope. But regardless of what it sounds like, it'll be something everyone (including me) will be lending more of an ear to now that this information surfaced.
Unfortunately, there won't be much of anything to compare it to, unless of course, Mercedes lets us listen to it, in real life....which I'm sure they will do since they went to the extent to tout and single out oh-how-amazing-the-car-sounds.

Hum, and what happens if the Merc end up with way better sounds?

@RACECAR They worked with Yamaha on the LFA. Whether we got the fruit of that co-operation in GT5 is debatable, but it's likely they could work with Sony or Yamaha or anyone else to consult on synthesis techniques (or just poach the relevant staff; you know, people well-versed in sound-simulation, perhaps). They don't need to do that to copy what other games have done, though.

@Revoy They're almost certainly talking about the improved sounds, if they're referencing what it'll sound like in the game at all (and not just real-life). You won't hear that at launch, in all likelihood. I'm looking forward to it, though, when they eventually do arrive!

Sooo I heard that the MB Vision GT is going to have some nice sounding engine sound? Yes! So far so good at the moment for folks. :)

I've found some strange info on another page. Though it's almost 3 months old, it kind of makes me think and doubt if we will see or not the livery editor. (I've been away for a while, so I don't know if it has already been confirmed or not...)

"
Sony has just announced that GT6 will be out for the PS3 on December 6th, which means I now need to take December 6th off. Every single car you see in the promo is droolworthy. Not just graphically, but in the fact that you get to drive things like Lotus Europas and Pagani Huayras and Tesla Model Ss. How do you pluralize that anyway?

And there is definitely a livery editor. I just hope that the tribal tattoo stripe isn't the only thing that you're allowed to put on your car."

Thoughts? Opinions?

Tribal tattoo stripe= 15th anniversary stripe

Edit- I'm expecting gamespot review dec 2nd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back