GT6 News Discussion

• Thread starter Matty
  • 8,352 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what more we're supposed to say. Employees at PD spent time working on this, time they could have spent doing something else. Was it a week by two employees, a month by five or a fifty people taking a year of their working time? We don't know, but obviously it was significant work and all for the benefit of very few.

SimonK
I'm not sure what more we're supposed to say. Employees at PD spent time working on this, time they could have spent doing something else. Was it a week by two employees, a month by five or a fifty people taking a year of their working time? We don't know, but obviously it was significant work and all for the benefit of very few.

"Very few" is staring it mildly!!!

Even if PD did worked on it, they probably got help from the manafacturer's company. Whether it was significant on other GT's priorities, is only for us to assume.

I mean is it anything new that PD works closely with some of the car manufacturers?

It's a pointless argument though. We don't know that someone was pulled from car or track modeling. We don't know that they didn't hire staff specifically for this purpose. We don't know how it affected GT5/6 development. We don't know, so let's no criticize them because of it. It may turn out to be a great feature. Celebrity laps could be a really cool thing, think the David Coulthard challenge but more frequent and more tracks. Or maybe it will be underutilized. But to criticize them for innovation is just plain wrong.

It's a pointless argument though. We don't know that someone was pulled from car or track modeling. We don't know that they didn't hire staff specifically for this purpose. We don't know how it affected GT5/6 development. We don't know, so let's no criticize them because of it. It may turn out to be a great feature. Celebrity laps could be a really cool thing, think the David Coulthard challenge but more frequent and more tracks. Or maybe it will be underutilized. But to criticize them for innovation is just plain wrong.

Excellent point mcfizzle, they could put in all the celebrity and Stig laps from Top Gear into the game using that along with records for cars round the 'ring and all of the other tracks using this technology, so I think it is a good idea and does have a relevance to more people than those who go on trackdays and professional racing drivers. And it has already been said, you have no idea how it influences PD's resources so you cannot assume something which might not be the case. Its like the 'if Car A wasn't in the game then we would have Car B' or false assumption and naivety to put it simply.

mcfizzle

Key word in there is "may". It "may" turn out to be a great feature. There's always a chance it can go to waste and be used very little in the game like a lot of the new things in GT5. Hopefully, Kaz and PD realize that this time they should take full advantage of any new features and licenses that they are able to put into their games.

Key word in there is "may". It "may" turn out to be a great feature. There's always a chance it can go to waste and be used very little in the game like a lot of the new things in GT5. Hopefully, Kaz and PD realize that this time they should take full advantage of any new features and licenses that they are able to put into their games.
Based on ONE game and one that had a forced release. That's not using good reasoning.

But what does that all boil down to for us? Racing ghosts, the same thing we've done for years. I don't personally see the point of having the lap perfectly mapped out, a ghost just doing the lap generically is fine.

I mean think of the Vettel challenge, we already race his ghost from the game, if we imagine for arguments sake the car is real and we raced his real world data lap would it be any more fun? Not for me, its still just a ghost.

another_jakhole
Based on ONE game and one that had a forced release. That's not using good reasoning.

Since GT5 has been out, has PD released updates to try to take advantage and expand on most of the new things like Top Gear, NASCAR, WRC, Super GT, weather/time change tracks, etc?

No. Most of these things are still shallow experiences and get little attention in the game. What they choose to update instead reveals where their priorities are.

But what does that all boil down to for us? Racing ghosts, the same thing we've done for years. I don't personally see the point of having the lap perfectly mapped out, a ghost just doing the lap generically is fine.

I mean think of the Vettel challenge, we already race his ghost from the game, if we imagine for arguments sake the car is real and we raced his real world data lap would it be any more fun? Not for me, its still just a ghost.

First, I seriously doubt those lap times were set by Vettel. Sure, he ran some laps and his name is on it. But I would guarantee those are times strategically picked by PD with a ghost to go along with it.

Why was the DC Challenge so exciting for people? I think it was because prizes were involved and we were competing against a driver we knew in a car and track we had in game. Or did you sneer and snicker at the whole thing as another waste of time?

It's fine that you don't find use in trying to beat a ghost, not everyone does. But you say it like it's useless. We don't know how well it will be utilized. Could be horrible or it could be a quality addition to the game. I'm not going to complain about innovation, especially when it is one that could brings simulation racing and real world auto racing closer together.

finnracer
Excellent point mcfizzle, they could put in all the celebrity and Stig laps from Top Gear into the game using that along with records for cars round the 'ring and all of the other tracks using this technology, so I think it is a good idea and does have a relevance to more people than those who go on trackdays and professional racing drivers. And it has already been said, you have no idea how it influences PD's resources so you cannot assume something which might not be the case. Its like the 'if Car A wasn't in the game then we would have Car B' or false assumption and naivety to put it simply.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. PD is really good at ignoring the obvious. How many races do we standing starts on tracks that have grid spots modeled? The only races that should have rolling starts are NASCAR races an on ovals. What about individual TT's on the Top Gear Track from standing start? Nah, that's too much like right.

Using a real car on a real track as a ghost in a video game will be a load of crap. The real car is not subject to the game's physics and tuning limitations or embellishments.

First, I seriously doubt those lap times were set by Vettel. Sure, he ran some laps and his name is on it. But I would guarantee those are times strategically picked by PD with a ghost to go along with it.

Why was the DC Challenge so exciting for people? I think it was because prizes were involved and we were competing against a driver we knew in a car and track we had in game. Or did you sneer and snicker at the whole thing as another waste of time?

It's fine that you don't find use in trying to beat a ghost, not everyone does. But you say it like it's useless. We don't know how well it will be utilized. Could be horrible or it could be a quality addition to the game. I'm not going to complain about innovation, especially when it is one that could brings simulation racing and real world auto racing closer together.

Well whether Vettel did the game lap wasn't really relevant to my point, just that it was a game-made ghost and racing a real-world generated ghost wouldn't make much difference.

I like racing a ghost and trying to beat times, what I'm trying to say is it makes no difference to me whether it's a generic, game-made ghost lapping in 1:22.642 or a ghost moving exactly like a real world lap in 1:22.642.

As much as I want to believe it I just can't..

Hope I'm wrong though.

Very true, while not totally believable, it does have some key aspects that me me think it is GT6, but its just not convincing enough. For example, what's with all those stupid hyprid prototype things? It doesn't make sense.

The trailer needs more street cars and need to get rid of the ugly exagerated white glow on the track...

groundpounder48
Very true, while not totally believable, it does have some key aspects that me me think it is GT6, but its just not convincing enough. For example, what's with all those stupid hyprid prototype things? It doesn't make sense.

It's NOT GT6. That video has been posted before.

carracerptp
How could anyone miss that? And the video looks way to far from what PD has ever done (music, editing, etc).

I noticed comments were disabled on the video imagine the backlash!

Slightly Mad Studios? They just finished up Test Drive: Ferrari Legends. GT6 has been in development since at LEAST GT5 was released if not before then, so...without even seeing the vid...fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back