GT6 Race View options

• Thread starter research
  • 178 comments
:D That's it. I'm hacking my save data.
Aaaand done.

i hope someone of PD read this thread.....
fingerscrossed.gif

I won't hold my breath though. Presumably, they'll patch it in at some point.

man that 60° FOV is incredible. What a view!

Yep 60° seems to be the best one of viewing angle so far. Withouht creating a fish eye effect or any other disturbing things. Wider view and you see more of the beautiful cockpits of the premium cars :) Sense of speed is also improved.

But Yeah I hope PD takes note I think it's very important!

Last edited:
Custom Extreme 100° FOV
Foto_12_10_13_17_10_43.jpg

Remember that you can also change the cockpit camera distance. I think the options are called normal, close, closer, but I could be wrong. Haven't played it for a while.

In my eyes the distance is a little to big in this example.

Remember that you can also change the cockpit camera distance. I think the options are called normal, close, closer, but I could be wrong. Haven't played it for a while.

In my eyes the distance is a little to big in this example.

Yes but we dont want to be closer because it's already too close.
We want it wider and further back, and anyways it was just an extreme as example the 100°. I wouldn't play this way as I showcased. I use the 60°

Yes but we dont want to be closer because it's already too close.
We want it wider and further back, and anyways it was just an extreme as example the 100°. I wouldn't play this way as I showcased. I use the 60°

the "funny" thing is that the internal view is too close and there is the quick menù option to bring it more closer, the outside view is too far away and there isn't the option to bring it more closer

11500x871.jpg

21500x876.jpg

the second one is very very better imho but if activated the inside view becomes unbearably close

Last edited:
the second one is very very better imho but if activated the inside view becomes unbearably close

I fully agree. The chasecam of GT5/6 is way too far away from the car and too stiff. A closer dynamic one which is rotateable around the car would be the best :dopey:

I hope we get an adjustable view. I drive the Subaru Impreza STi 2005 and the in car view is horrible. Looks like you are sitting on a giant pillow with your head touching the roof. Driving through Eau Rouge was impossible.

So far it seems like PD changed nothing to the camera...
All those new beautiful cars but no way to adore them during gameplay... except from a static far away chase cam. :(

How often do you travel at 160mph? The sense of speed in GT5 is just not there. Off would be what we have now, High would be akin to NFS Shift, and Low/Med settings should be able to give a very subtle blurring so we can feel that speed- which is exciting, no doubt.

Subtlety is key, in this case. I certainly would not want hyperspeed blurring like NFS Shift, but I would bet that a few of you crazies would love that.

Let me tell you that barreling into the first corner of grand valley at 180mph in a GT40 using manual gearchanges and clutch is exciting enough for me!
Especially while braking at the right moment to not lose any time and to make the corner without locking up and exiting into the gravel trap!

^well, the "sense of speed" we're talking about only comes into play until you start braking/slowing down. This excitement you speak of (which I also feel in that situation- that corner complex is a blast) would certainly be heightened by a subtle blurring / wider FOV during the long straight up until it's time to hit the brakes.

I agree 100% about that braking zone / first turn complex being VERY exciting. But the long straight is kinda boring. Feels like I'm traveling at about 70mph when the speedo says 140mph..

Last edited:
The editon of the interior cameras for the replay would be awesome, because I like to make videos with the onboard camera, and in GT5 just few cars have it.

Even GTA V managed to have a hood view, albeit ruined by the camera movement. Still, if a game like that can manage it, why can't the biggest simulator game on PS3?

Why would you even want to use the chase cam?

why would somebody use a bumper cam if you were reffering to realism, no body floats in front of the bumper, in this case everything else but cockpit would be useless. Anyways because I like close chasecams, you see the body movement and details of the car. Also a rotateable chase cam makes sense to adore your premium car.

How often do you travel at 160mph? The sense of speed in GT5 is just not there. Off would be what we have now, High would be akin to NFS Shift, and Low/Med settings should be able to give a very subtle blurring so we can feel that speed- which is exciting, no doubt.

Motion blur is not needed, the sense of speed in GT is just fine as it is. As I live in Germany I am quite used to traveling at speeds up to 240 km/h and there is no blur. It feels not at fast as you may think, especially not on a wide street or a racetrack.

Otherwise I am all for more camera options and an adjustable driver position.

Motion blur is not needed, the sense of speed in GT is just fine as it is. As I live in Germany I am quite used to traveling at speeds up to 240 km/h and there is no blur. It feels not at fast as you may think, especially not on a wide street or a racetrack.

Otherwise I am all for more camera options and an adjustable driver position.

motion blur surely excists. Not ther air or edges of your view blurs at high speeds. but things flying by close to you. The easiest way to see it is, looking down on a train to the ground or the tunnel walls on a subway all blurry flying by. No razor sharp details are visible. Same on the asphalt on the street.
And since I also live in germany going on the left lane at 200km/h... well the green plants next to your left window also fly by blury and not sharp as you can see every leaf... like in GT.
next time see for yourself :D

I think high speed blurs (like in NFS S2U) are stupid but crash motion blurs will be quite cool. And also when you shift it would be cool to that the camera goes forward in between the gears and back when the power is transmitted to the wheels like NFS S2U. Like you feel the g-forces.

Last edited:
motion blur surely excists. Not ther air or edges of your view blurs at high speeds. but things flying by close to you. The easiest way to see it is, looking down on a train to the ground or the tunnel walls on a subway all blurry flying by. No razor sharp details are visible. Same on the asphalt on the street.
And since I also live in germany going on the left lane at 200km/h... well the green plants next to your left window also fly by blury and not sharp as you can see every leaf... like in GT.
next time see for yourself :D

Sure, but its trough a limit of human perception and looks quite different than the effect many games throw at us. The one where everything around you blurs like you are in some sort of warp tunnel.

The worst offender in this regard is NFS Shift. You drive and everything around you blurs, the car roars and drones, it shakes like mad, the interior begins to blur in front of your eyes, you feel like you are near the breaking point of your car but finally you have the courage to watch on the blurry speedo and it shows... a measly 130! woopdee doo It's just stupid. I mean I have nothing about a switchable option for people that like it. But with PD it would probably be forced on everyone. So I would vote "no".

Sure, but its trough a limit of human perception and looks quite different than the effect many games throw at us. The one where everything around you blurs like you are in some sort of warp tunnel.

The worst offender in this regard is NFS Shift. You drive and everything around you blurs, the car roars and drones, it shakes like mad, the interior begins to blur in front of your eyes, you feel like you are near the breaking point of your car but finally you have the courage to watch on the blurry speedo and it shows... a measly 130! woopdee doo It's just stupid. I mean I have nothing about a switchable option for people that like it. But with PD it would probably be forced on everyone. So I would vote "no".

Yup this one isnt nice I am also not a fan of it. But such as FM5 has it now or GRID 2 .

Looks natural to me.

Subtlety is key, in this case. I certainly would not want hyperspeed blurring like NFS Shift, but I would bet that a few of you crazies would love that.

Research, have you seen the Forza 5 launch trailer with the Lotus F1? If that's not the most realistic sense of speed then I don't know what. I know for me best I have seen to date. If you haven't seen it yet I strongly recommend you check it brah!

.. Forza also has a view where you can circle around the car, which would be nice to admire the aesthetics with. Often I don't waste time with replays so I don't really get to admire any car I drive in action as much as I would like.

Added. Too many people are asking for this for me (or PD) to ignore. :)

... There is a difference between head shake and car shake. And the reason I bring this up is because a few people mentioned that the mild vibrations in the NASCAR cars, I think, caused them to have motion sickness.

In real life, you tend to shake with the car (head shake), which causes the whole field of view to judder. But in a game, this seems to cause the most trouble to the motion afflicted because the gaming position is rock solid. It seems that most games just shake the car (car shake of course), and a few if I'm recalling right, would vibrate the scenery a bit too (something in-between). I'm wondering if this should be a consideration. How do the latest PC sims like iRacing and rFactor 2 handle this? Or do they have options like this?

When I list Head Shake I'm thinking the entire scene should vibrate just a bit to simulate bumps and g-forces upon the helmet/head of the driver. Also driving anything without a windshield (open cockpit) would cause even more shaking due to the high speed buffeting winds. Certainly all of this vibration should be kept to a reasonably low level, even on the "high" setting. Though I suspect many players would leave this completely Off, many will appreciate the option. Interesting question about what other racing sims do for this aspect. Maybe someone with a sharp eye and good experience in the latest sims will help us here..

... The true solution is for everyone to either calculate their own correct FOV for their screen and seating position if they're going for realism, or play with their adjustments until they feel that it's right if they're going for perception over reality.

I'd love to hear about the differences between the two.. :lol:

.. when you shift it would be cool to that the camera goes forward in between the gears and back when the power is transmitted to the wheels like NFS S2U. Like you feel the g-forces.

This actually happens in GT5, if only slightly. It is strange because replays show our driver leaning and turning his head towards apex, but the view during gameplay only has a slight up/down effect from g-forces.

Research, have you seen the Forza 5 launch trailer with the Lotus F1? If that's not the most realistic sense of speed then I don't know what ....

yeah I watched it twice and there were only a few short "onboard" view clips lasting about 2 seconds a piece! I can't glean much from that- did I watch the right trailer? In @DonZonda 's post above we can see that the scenery on the edges of the screen seems to accelerate a bit- causing the feeling that we are travelling much faster. Having the ability to tweak these aspects would help bring Gran Turismo alive.

* I edited the OP to reflect some changes/additions and one of those is Rear-View mirror style and placement. We should have the stock mirrors like GT5, plus the option to upgrade to racing mirrors such as these:

maxresdefault.jpg

29wn9df.jpg

^ There are ones wider than this! Beautiful convex racing mirrors that cover the entire span of the windshield, allowing you to have an easy view of everything going on around you. Maybe I'm just a mirror nerd, I dunno...

I'd love to hear about the differences between the two.. :lol:

yeah I watched it twice and there were only a few short "onboard" view clips lasting about 2 seconds a piece! I can't glean much from that- did I watch the right trailer? In @DonZonda 's post above we can see that the scenery on the edges of the screen seems to accelerate a bit- causing the feeling that we are travelling much faster. Having the ability to tweak these aspects would help bring Gran Turismo alive.

* I edited the OP to reflect some changes/additions and one of those is Rear-View mirror style and placement. We should have the stock mirrors like GT5, plus the option to upgrade to racing mirrors such as these:

maxresdefault.jpg

29wn9df.jpg

^ There are ones wider than this! Beautiful convex racing mirrors that cover the entire span of the windshield, allowing you to have an easy view of everything going on around you. Maybe I'm just a mirror nerd, I dunno...

I am not sure but if not here's the link -

Yeah I am feeling those mirrors as an upgrade would be a massive help

The reality and perception.....classic call!

Back