GT6 Race View options

• Thread starter research
  • 178 comments
I doubt any changes though... It really bothers me to see the excactly same views as GT5... but well we can do nothing about.

Interesting enough, when you are in Replay mode - open the 'Change View' menu, and we have:

Bumper
Hood View
Roof View forward
Roof View back
Cockpit View

^ SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE in that studio believes that a Hood View is important. It's a shame that on almost all cars, this is still actually a silly Roof View. During gameplay and replay. :guilty:

GT6 may be the most Option-less game I've ever come across..

PD should add possibility to adjust the height of the seat. At the moment, if you select narrow view, the dashboard is only partially visible (you see only the top of your instrument cluster). With the possibility to adjust height (and also distance forward or backward) you could set up onboard camera view the way you want.

This would solve many problems users are experiencing now.

YZF
PD should add possibility to adjust the height of the seat. At the moment, if you select narrow view, the dashboard is only partially visible (you see only the top of your instrument cluster). With the possibility to adjust height (and also distance forward or backward) you could set up onboard camera view the way you want.

This would solve many problems users are experiencing now.

PD allowing options? We can't have that.

:lol: @Cosbuster you are on their(PD's) ass. Don't let up. This thread in particular, is aimed at improving and enriching the experience of all Gran Turismo players.

Let's go, PD. You have been gifted with the opportunity to see your hard work culminate into a smashing victory over your competitors, including next-gen titles, if only your leadership could make some basic decisions that will free your players up. This is not the time to play for a tie.

Yeah in replay you got more Options. I dont know why not for gameplay? What also bothers me why in the world the game doesnt have a 360° rotateable cam around the car? Every racing game has it nowadays. PD "when everybody does it we dont!!!" maybe thats how they work... Also to adjust your FOV and Seat height in Cockpit. Where is the Problem? It's only Parameters to set. Look at the photomode how easy it is to move a camera and set it...

Last edited:
I noticed some of the new Premium cars have better views than many of the older ones like closer chasecams or better roof/hood cams. But there are still no new options... and nothing to adjust :(

Please PD!!! Listen...

Yeah in replay you got more Options. I dont know why not for gameplay? ..

Man, I've tried quite a few different cars in these replays, and what's listed as "Hood View" is most often still a viewpoint looking out from the leading edge of the roof. :indiff:

Polyphony, what in the world are you guys doing over there?

In GT5 we could change the FOV through the multi-monitor settings. These settings aren't in GT6, so hopefully they will include them in a update.

GT6 is the first game in the series I haven't bought. The biggest reason is the inability to adjust the view. The ability to adjust the FOV (at very least!) is so important for racing games (it's important for first person games in general but that's for another thread in another forum).

I don't understand how somebody who's job it is to make a driving simulator could overlook or just willingly omit this feature. If they leave it out of future games I think I'll be racing exclusively on PC. The big problem there is that I prefer driving road cars and PC sims have historically focused on purpose built racing cars.

I may pick up GT6 when they release a "complete edition", but features which are important to me seem not to be priorities for PD. It may be time for me to abandon the Gran Turismo series.

Last edited:
Giving players some simple viewpoint, FOV, and HUD options are things that could be included in a "mini-update". No big update needed for these easy additions. -Or recovered subtractions from GT5. :irked:

Seriously why must I have a cluttered screen when all I want is my RPM, Position, and Lap counter? Why are people needing to hack the gamesave to get a decent Field Of View?

Giving players some simple viewpoint, FOV, and HUD options are things that could be included in a "mini-update". No big update needed for these easy additions. -Or recovered subtractions from GT5. :irked:

Seriously why must I have a cluttered screen when all I want is my RPM, Position, and Lap counter? Why are people needing to hack the gamesave to get a decent Field Of View?

The word "choice" isn't in PD's dictionary.

Just a correction: "Bumper camera" is not a bumper camera. It's positioned in the center of the cockpit, at the height of the driver's head. So it's basically a centered cockpit view that doesn't show the interior or exterior.

Just a correction: "Bumper camera" is not a bumper camera. It's positioned in the center of the cockpit, at the height of the driver's head. So it's basically a centered cockpit view that doesn't show the interior or exterior.

Yep thats true, but also the FOV in this view is really narrow. I wish it was at least as wide like the one from the Cockpit view. Narrow FOV is sense of speed killer number 1.

Too bad we can't adjust our own FOV like in GT5 with the multi monitor options. I really dont like it that narrow.

How often do you travel at 160mph? The sense of speed in GT5 is just not there. Off would be what we have now, High would be akin to NFS Shift, and Low/Med settings should be able to give a very subtle blurring so we can feel that speed- which is exciting, no doubt.

Subtlety is key, in this case. I certainly would not want hyperspeed blurring like NFS Shift, but I would bet that a few of you crazies would love that.
I just want to say something wrong I think with motion blur... Until GT can succesfully implement Tracker IR (or however it's spelled) interior motion blur should not be allowed. Countless times when I drive a game that does have the blur, I want to be looking at my speed and of course, it's blurred. I think with a proper implementation of Tracker IR, it would be the best thing ever.

Ever..

well, the Multi-Monitor options are back, and yet we STILL are only able to reduce the FOV, making the view more narrow.

PD. Please let us widen the view angle. This will only take a few minutes out of whatever-the-heck-you've-been-doing for the last 3 months. When doing 170mph down Route 246 we want to feel as if we are HAULING BUCKETS OF ASS.

Buckets!

Yep true that. I also don't understand why you can only make it narrow but not wide?! Also it should be available for all views and not only Cockpit because Bumper and espcially chasecam are too narrow and kill the sense of Speed. a FOV of 90° is IMO perfect. The sense of distance isn't gone no fish eye effect and things fly by quicker.
Anyways it doenst Change the Performance because some People said that might be a reason because you see more on Screen.
Using the Secret Menu in GT5 you could widen the FOV to crazy angles and it never effected any performence of the game.

Those small Parameters are easy to implement, since you can do it on photomode. Why PD you dont let us use it in the gameplay aswell? Not everybody likes to drive forced as you want ... Also some camera views are really misplaced at positions that arent really comfortable to drive.

And here Comes the Custom view Options!!!

PC sims Show how well it can work, if they can you can do it too PD...

Last edited:
Anyways it doenst Change the Performance because some People said that might be a reason because you see more on Screen.
Using the Secret Menu in GT5 you could widen the FOV to crazy angles and it never effected any performence of the game.
That is, or was, true in the case with GT5. As for GT6, I assume it might end up being an issue due to the higher resolution (1440x1080).

There was one problem with raising your FOV in GT5 I had encountered. It was that some car's interiors aren't fully rendered. So you can see through the dashboard or a part of the mirror isn't reflecting.

There was one problem with raising your FOV in GT5 I had encountered. It was that some car's interiors aren't fully rendered. So you can see through the dashboard or a part of the mirror isn't reflecting.

That's why it could be an option. Not forced on or off.

I would like to have a rear view based on the track and not on my car as in forza . It's so annoying it mean we never see our wheels when we are drifting and also that the rear view is really difficult to handle. I only use rear view must of the time because I like to see my car and because also I can see everything !

I didn't buy GT6 so would like to know, is the FOV adjustment only available in the multi-screen menu? If so, I don't understand what prevents it from being in the standard options, instead of having to approach it like a workaround (as was the case for GT5).

I personally think that every driving game should have explicit FOV adjustment, especially for cockpit, hood and bumper (as some call it, but I call it first person cam as it is placed higher than the bumper) cameras. I also believe first person shooters should have it too. People play on different sized screens at different distances away from them. Having a FOV that feels right is so important, and the fact that so many games lack FOV adjustment is just baffling to me (not to mention one of my biggest pet hates).

When it comes to cockpit views, playing PC sims has made me aware of how big the difference camera placement can make is (the camera representing your head). When you get the camera position and FOV right it can make a huge difference to immersion. I remember trying to play Grid from the cockpit view and it felt like driving from the parcel shelf. The road felt so far away that I felt disconnected from the entire experience, so I just never used it. Luckily I found the hood view pretty good for my set-up, but Gran Turismo doesn't have a hood view, only a roof view. GOD DAMN YOU PD! Given that Gran Turismo doesn't have cockpits for all cars, that is the camera I would use (being I don't want to use a different view depending on what car I'm driving).

Rant over.

Eh, even the "roof view" isn't right on some cars.
It isn't a view I use. The roof view kind of gets on my nerves because I feel it was probably a case that Kaz thought it would be an acceptable alternative to a hood view and that's why he refuses to put one in. Most of that is probably just in my mind though :lol:

I didn't buy GT6 so would like to know, is the FOV adjustment only available in the multi-screen menu? If so, I don't understand what prevents it from being in the standard options, instead of having to approach it like a workaround (as was the case for GT5).

I personally think that every driving game should have explicit FOV adjustment, especially for cockpit, hood and bumper (as some call it, but I call it first person cam as it is placed higher than the bumper) cameras. I also believe first person shooters should have it too. People play on different sized screens at different distances away from them. Having a FOV that feels right is so important, and the fact that so many games lack FOV adjustment is just baffling to me (not to mention one of my biggest pet hates).

No there is no FOV adjustment in GT6, and on the Multi-Screen menu you can only narrow it but not widen. The secret menu from GT5 isn't there.

I agree with you, I can't understand that neither, FOV adjustment is really important. As closer you are to your TV/Monitor as slower the sense of Speed and overallview gets. Widening the FOV is important then. But for now only Sim racers on PC let you fully adjust your view. You can even place the camera where you like it.
Imagine in GT you could just take the sometimes strange placed Roof cam and just put it down to the bumper right on the windshield. How awesome would that be?! But no... seems too much freedom for a Player...

It isn't a view I use. The roof view kind of gets on my nerves because I feel it was probably a case that Kaz thought it would be an acceptable alternative to a hood view and that's why he refuses to put one in. Most of that is probably just in my mind though :lol:
I prefer the roof over any view..

I prefer the roof over any view..
Everyone has their preference and I certainly wouldn't want roof view to be removed, but I'd like it if we were given more options.

Some people make unreasonable demands of the game like more content, better graphics, better this, better that etc all without compromise. Things like explicit FOV adjustment or a bonnet cam would improve the game vastly (for me and like minded people) and shouldn't be difficult to add.

I think many people imagine how they'd like the game to be and think what differences they'd make if they were making it. Personally I'd take the trade-off of less detailed car models and less cars (say about 600) if it meant they all had cockpit views. As I said in an earlier post, I don't want to be using a different view when switching between cars, so I don't use the cockpit view at all. I instead use the first person cam (bumper to some). The whole premium/standard car thing bugs the hell out of me and I think it was a very inelegant way of balancing between quantity and quality.

Also the use of the Premium cars would be on a whole other level, they have so much more potential.
If GT6 had a close chasecam which is also lose and rotateable around the car. You could see so much more details, also watch the suspension work while you race down LeMans for example. Or while drifting looking around you.

But for now the Premium and Standarts on the chasecam make only a small difference. Except for the cockpit view.
Or a adjustable FOV and position change of the camera such as the angle.
Just a little example when I played around with the FOV in GT5. I used the E92 M3 in roof view. on the Standart FOV you can only see a part of the bonnet, on the FOV set to 90° you could suddenly see the Carbonfiber roof and the bonnet, and I was like damn! that looks so sharp and stunning. Why in the world PD didnt place the camera just a few inches back?!?! ....

Back