GT6 Sales Discussion

And on that we are certainly in agreement. Why you thought otherwise when the farthest I went to defending GT5's system was to say that there were ways around the pointless restrictions early on in the game (which can't be said for GT6) before they became so bad that you were forced to start grinding no matter what. In essence, the two games have opposite problems.
Ok perhaps I had a bit of a miss understanding as to what you were referring to before

The issue at hand is that GT6's even more linear progression system is not fantastically better than GT5's also linear progression system as people constantly act that it is; and it's a damn sight far removed from "fine." GT4's system was "fine." GT2's system was "fine."
GT6's system is "better than GT5's unless you happen to like having any player freedom."
This I do not get. GT5 was much more linear than GT6 or GT4. In GT5 each race unlocked at a different level so the game dictated the order you ran them in unless you ran the same event multiple times in order to get the XP to skip a race or two. GT6 unlocks a whole section at a time and you only have to run a few of those to unlock the next section.
In GT4 you had only a few races to choose from until you completed some tests, same in GT6, then more races and more tests and then some content was locked until you reached 25% and some locked until you were deeper in. GT6 is very similar to GT4 in that regard only it takes a lot less time to unlock all the events. I skipped through the events in GT6 to unlock S races right away. It did not take long at all before I could run any race I wanted in GT6. GT4 took quite a while to do the same, much much longer than GT6.

I had no issue at all with the progression in GT6, You only had to do a few very short races in each section to unlock the license tests and those were short and mostly easy especially up until S class. most people could unlock all events in just a few hours unlike the system in GT5 that would take months of heavy playing to do the same. GT4 took a lot more time as well but I did not mind the progression in GT4 either.

Functionally, there is no difference between the two unless you were the type of player who just couldn't restrain yourself from entering the Escudo in every race in GT2. It certainly doesn't make the game more challenging by itself; even ignoring the regressions in AI behavior.
Yes there is difference between the two.
For one thing you have to buy more than one type of tire and you have to buy some cars. I preordered GT5 and it came with a Nascar and the stealth F1 which could be used in lots of races, you could just buzz right through them without buying any cars, tires or parts. This was tempting in many cases as I would rather save my money to get a different car other than the one that I should be using for that event.

The game did not force you to do this but it did allow it and that was a bad thing, it also did not offer any type of incentive to use the proper car/tune/tire combo. GT4 at least had A-Spec points that gave some incentive to use a weaker car.

At any rate I am more concerned about the online portions than career mode, would be nice it there were some more A-Spec races added like the expert A-Spec in GT5.

This I do not get. GT5 was much more linear than GT6 or GT4. In GT5 each race unlocked at a different level so the game dictated the order you ran them in unless you ran the same event multiple times in order to get the XP to skip a race or two.
Or unless you did the Seasonal Events (which regularly would award experience exponentially higher than any race, especially when the performance difference multiplier was added). Or unless you did the Special Events (which regularly would award experience exponentially higher than any race). Or unless you did all of the finally optional, the licence tests (which would give a decent amount allowing you to start at least in the teens, and was in fact one of the main incentives of doing them now that they made it so you didn't need to). You could even do online races out of the box and grind a bit there (though if you're playing the game strictly online, grinding probably isn't the most accurate description). And then they added the login bonus which made the level system even more moot until you got past the 30s; at which point the game did drag everything out painfully.

GT5 was not a linear game until you neared the end as soon as they got Seasonals going consistently unless you refused to take advantage of the options presented to you to bypass most of the restrictions. It certainly was in GT5 1.0, you could continue to play it and grind and grind and grind to unlock every single event, there was always a huge curve at the start despite finally making the licence tests optional, people who couldn't connect to the internet were kinda screwed, and it never approached the open ended stylings of the prior titles; but it was not the hopelessly linear affair it is constantly presented as by the time PD finished improving it.

GT6 unlocks a whole section at a time and you only have to run a few of those to unlock the next section
That certainly isn't making the best case for an open ended game in the spirit of the original titles.

In GT4 you had only a few races to choose from until you completed some tests, same in GT6, then more races and more tests and then some content was locked until you reached 25% and some locked until you were deeper in. GT6 is very similar to GT4 in that regard only it takes a lot less time to unlock all the events. I skipped through the events in GT6 to unlock S races right away. It did not take long at all before I could run any race I wanted in GT6. GT4 took quite a while to do the same, much much longer than GT6.
This was not how GT4 worked. In GT4 if you did all of the licence tests, which could be done as soon as you started the game, everything but the endurance races and the Extreme Hall races were opened for you. GT2 was even more open than that.

I had no issue at all with the progression in GT6, You only had to do a few very short races in each section to unlock the license tests and those were short and mostly easy especially up until S class. most people could unlock all events in just a few hours unlike the system in GT5 that would take months of heavy playing to do the same. GT4 took a lot more time as well but I did not mind the progression in GT4 either.
Being able to unlock all of the events (and GT4 had quite a bit more of them than GT6 does so the comparison is skewed in that fashion as well) quickly is not a measure of nonlinearity when you are still only allowed to do so in the strict order that the game dictates. Especially when the entire online component is disallowed unless you do so.

Every game prior to GT5 had restrictions at the very start and restrictions at the very end, but otherwise was completely up to the player's choice with credits being the only real limiting factor. You could even choose how you wanted the restrictions to be lifted (do all licences in the start versus doing them as you needed them). GT6 still doesn't have that when you can only unlock races piecemeal; and GT6 does have very stupid restrictions in how you are allowed to progress in the game that GT5 did not have.

Yes there is difference between the two.
For one thing you have to buy more than one type of tire and you have to buy some cars. I preordered GT5 and it came with a Nascar and the stealth F1 which could be used in lots of races, you could just buzz right through them without buying any cars, tires or parts. This was tempting in many cases as I would rather save my money to get a different car other than the one that I should be using for that event.
Which is exactly what I said. The game becomes too easy if you can't resist entering cars that will destroy everything else; and GT5's main failing (repeated directly with GT6) is that the game handed them cars to do it with simply for buying the game.

The obvious issue with that argument (aside from the fact that it singles out allowing the player to choose as a bad thing because a player could choose to make the game easy) is that is still incredibly easy to make races blowouts in GT6 (in many cases still just by using the same cars as the AI), so diminishing how one sided the blowouts are clearly doesn't have that direct correlation with difficulty.

The game did not force you to do this but it did allow it and that was a bad thing, it also did not offer any type of incentive to use the proper car/tune/tire combo. GT4 at least had A-Spec points that gave some incentive to use a weaker car.
The exact same incentive applies that did for every prior game in the series; and it will continue to apply until PD provide the performance difference bonus across the board and/or actually improve the AI instead of just adding transparent rubber banding. There simply isn't any reason to use a weaker car unless you want a better race, and that fact continues in GT6 unabated.

If a 4/10 car is what is needed to reliably win a race, and a 2/10 car will give the best challenge, it makes no difference whatsoever to the people looking for that challenge (which by definition aren't the people who enter the best possible car they can) that the event limits prevent you entering anything above 7/10; and it makes even less difference that the previous game allowed you to enter that 10/10 car but this game doesn't.

2.3 million is actually very good in a 12 month period

Generally speaking, yes. When your game has a high budget and you expect to sell at least three times that, not so much.

For example Ubisoft expect to sell around 6.2 million copies of Watch_Dogs. If they only manage 2.3 million it may end up making them a loss.

Actually you cannot compare a racing game to a open world or other type of games which require more budget. Animation tech, voice acting, story etc.

Some people also say this is GT5.5 and they are making free money with GT6. They do not require spending million of $. They obviously reuse all cars, tracks of previous game, add more content and obviously using a different engine. Moreover there has not been any heavy marketing, advertising. PS4 has got all the focus.

Vgchartz is just a reference. It has probably sold close to 4million. Which is more than most games since it release and easily the best racing game. For eg. Vgchartz has Killzone shadow fall as 1.69. But the fact of the matter is it is already sold more than 2million since Jan 15th. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/209597/Killzone_Shadow_Fall_sells_over_2_million_in_2_months.php

To add to the discussion, the fact that PS3 game sales are so dismal now, it's not unusual to see some article stating that GT6 is the top selling game for the month in Europe or top 5 in some region. I was surprised to learn that GT6 was the best selling game in the first week in Japan. But globally, it's pretty clear that even if PS4 and XBone games aren't all flying off the shelves just yet, that gamers have shifted their interest to the new generation. I'm one of them. I anxiously await the day that Gran Turismo is unleashed from the confines of the still capable but archaic PS3 to see how high it can fly on PS4. Even if it's a warmed over GT6-slash-GT7 Prologue, the potential extra goodies have me mentally drooling.

Even if GT6 was plopped into PS4 with a few crucial additions, if those additions were Race Mod for a good number of cars with an accompanying Livery Editor, Course Maker and the much asked for Event Maker for both off- and online club and league creation, this would be a mind blowing game, even with the hated Standard cars included. Then it just needs wheel support, and it's gold.

Polyphony are slaving away on something, whether it's blowing the walls out in GT6 or setting up a new camp on PS4, we should be getting some interesting news at E3 and GamesCom, and then TGS in September. Hopefully. I'm counting on SONY not pulling the rug out from under GT6 like they did last year pre-launch for the sake of PS4. That was very strange, and caused us no end of frustration.

Or unless you did the Seasonal Events (which regularly would award experience exponentially higher than any race, especially when the performance difference multiplier was added).
Of course these were added later, I had already did all the races up to the endurance section before the first seasonal came to be so they are a bit of a red herring.

Or unless you did the Special Events (which regularly would award experience exponentially higher than any race). Or unless you did all of the finally optional, the licence tests (which would give a decent amount allowing you to start at least in the teens, and was in fact one of the main incentives of doing them now that they made it so you didn't need to). You could even do online races out of the box and grind a bit there (though if you're playing the game strictly online, grinding probably isn't the most accurate description). And then they added the login bonus which made the level system even more moot until you got past the 30s; at which point the game did drag everything out painfully.
Special events did offer a bit of help but they also were restricted by XP level.

GT5 was not a linear game until you neared the end as soon as they got Seasonals going consistently unless you refused to take advantage of the options presented to you to bypass most of the restrictions. It certainly was in GT5 1.0, you could continue to play it and grind and grind and grind to unlock every single event, there was always a huge curve at the start despite finally making the licence tests optional, people who couldn't connect to the internet were kinda screwed, and it never approached the open ended stylings of the prior titles; but it was not the hopelessly linear affair it is constantly presented as by the time PD finished improving it.
GT5 career was very linear, at level 1 there was one event, at level 2 there was another and on up through each of the levels. If you actually played career mode you could not do say 3 events in the first section then 3 in the next section, unless of course you ran those 3 events several times each.

That certainly isn't making the best case for an open ended game in the spirit of the original titles.

This was not how GT4 worked. In GT4 if you did all of the licence tests, which could be done as soon as you started the game, everything but the endurance races and the Extreme Hall races were opened for you. GT2 was even more open than that.
I did not say GT6 was the same as GT4 and here you are saying that you could run all these races "IF" you completed all the licenses first which BTW were about the same as running all the races required to unlock the license tests and doing the tests in GT6. Remember that there were twice as many in GT4. The concept however is pretty much the same, much of the game is locked until you complete a given test and/or number of different races.

In any case you are welcome to your opinion but the way GT5 was laid out the races either needed to be ran in order or you had to do something else to unlock races. In GT6 you can run the races out of order, skipping most of B A IB and IA to unlock everything and then do any race you want in any order you want. This was not possible in GT5. The seasonals helped, especially the Expert A-Spec but still the higher races were out of reach for a very long time and before they added the seasonals it was really really bad and of course that is when I played GT5, I could not tell you how many times I ran around Indy just to get XP to try and unlock something else or earn a few credits. By the time the high payout repeatable seasonal came to be I had already quit playing.

GT6 was pleasant completing career mode where GT5 was a major chore to even unlock the races.

To add to the discussion, the fact that PS3 game sales are so dismal now, it's not unusual to see some article stating that GT6 is the top selling game for the month in Europe or top 5 in some region. I was surprised to learn that GT6 was the best selling game in the first week in Japan. But globally, it's pretty clear that even if PS4 and XBone games aren't all flying off the shelves just yet, that gamers have shifted their interest to the new generation. I'm one of them. I anxiously await the day that Gran Turismo is unleashed from the confines of the still capable but archaic PS3 to see how high it can fly on PS4. Even if it's a warmed over GT6-slash-GT7 Prologue, the potential extra goodies have me mentally drooling.

Even if GT6 was plopped into PS4 with a few crucial additions, if those additions were Race Mod for a good number of cars with an accompanying Livery Editor, Course Maker and the much asked for Event Maker for both off- and online club and league creation, this would be a mind blowing game, even with the hated Standard cars included. Then it just needs wheel support, and it's gold.

Polyphony are slaving away on something, whether it's blowing the walls out in GT6 or setting up a new camp on PS4, we should be getting some interesting news at E3 and GamesCom, and then TGS in September. Hopefully. I'm counting on SONY not pulling the rug out from under GT6 like they did last year pre-launch for the sake of PS4. That was very strange, and caused us no end of frustration.

With people slating the PS4 for not having any games, I bet Sony will be telling PD to announce and maybe release something as soon as possible, I think another prologue then a year wait for the real thing is most likely.

Of course these were added later, I had already did all the races up to the endurance section before the first seasonal came to be so they are a bit of a red herring.
You using your game experiences to fit those of everyone who played GT5 is the red herring. The fact that you weren't able to take advantage of them doesn't mean the Log In bonus and Seasonal Events didn't exist. GT5 did not sell 10 million copies or whatever it was within the 20 or so days when both of them were patched in; nor did everyone spend those days doing nothing but grinding GT5 to unlock all of the races. My GT5 save corrupted around March the following year, and it was night and day how different the game was when I restarted it and when I first bought the game. I got to level 37 without even touching a single A-Spec or Special Event race in career mode; and the only time I repeated A-Spec Seasonals is when they started doing the performance difference multiplier.

Special events did offer a bit of help but they also were restricted by XP level.
Special Events also generally gave you more than enough experience to reach the next one; and Seasonal Events were not similarly restricted even when they were similarly structured.

GT5 career was very linear, at level 1 there was one event, at level 2 there was another and on up through each of the levels. If you actually played career mode you could not do say 3 events in the first section then 3 in the next section, unless of course you ran those 3 events several times each.
You mean "if you actually played Career mode the way HBR-Roadhog did." I've already pointed out that until you got towards the end of the game, that stopped being required pretty quickly after the game released. The greatest hindrance early on became the level restriction on cars so you'd have something to use, and even that was trivial to get around using either wholly legitimate (raising B-Spec level, which also had the benefit of having Seasonal Events; using preorder/stealth cars) or non-legitimate (having friends send you cars you needed, or simply making fake accounts to do the same) means.

I did not say GT6 was the same as GT4
You came just short of doing so:
In GT4 you had only a few races to choose from until you completed some tests, same in GT6, then more races and more tests and then some content was locked until you reached 25% and some locked until you were deeper in. GT6 is very similar to GT4 in that regard only it takes a lot less time to unlock all the events.
My response, which I will continue below, was explaining how that was not true; because you keep applying the idea that you had to play GT4 the same way you did in GT6 simply because it was an option in GT4.

and here you are saying that you could run all these races "IF" you completed all the licenses first which BTW were about the same as running all the races required to unlock the license tests and doing the tests in GT6. Remember that there were twice as many in GT4.
I skipped through the events in GT6 to unlock S races right away. It did not take long at all before I could run any race I wanted in GT6. GT4 took quite a while to do the same, much much longer than GT6.
20 minutes for B.
20 minutes for A.
20 minutes for IB.
30 minutes for IA (though the penultimate test was a fairly daunting one, so I'll say 45 minutes).

The S licence took about 40 minutes if you bronzed each one first go; which I admit is quite generous time wise but also wasn't strictly necessary anyway, since the game only required it for 4 races and they were all in the Extreme Hall.

So a bit under two hours of work if you were decent that you could opt to do to unlock about 80% of the events in the game, which if I'm looking at the lists correctly is still notably more than GT6 has total. Certainly more varied, though it's hard to make that call precisely when I'm going off of secondary information. Or you could opt to do licences as you were required, which would make the game the same as GT6 except with more events so it would take longer. That "or" is the important part.

Not only am I reasonably sure that you couldn't get to the "ending" of GT6 you are describing that quickly (though I admittedly don't know from experience), and not only were you forced to take the latter option above because they put the licence tests in the place where they were most useless; but when you do unlock each thing in clumps and finally get to the end the events for the most part are the same largely unimaginative ones GT5 had; and now the entire category of races you unlocked at 25% in GT4 was removed entirely.

The concept however is pretty much the same, much of the game is locked until you complete a given test and/or number of different races.
If you break it down that simply, even GT5 1.0 technically fits that definition.

In any case you are welcome to your opinion but the way GT5 was laid out the races either needed to be ran in order or you had to do something else to unlock races.
That, too, is a pretty big "or" when you had so many options to do so!

In GT6 you can run the races out of order, skipping most of B A IB and IA to unlock everything and then do any race you want in any order you want. This was not possible in GT5.
Again, the only difference as you are describing it is that you couldn't do the final races even with the bigger EXP boosts, which I've already said was the huge problem with GT5.

The seasonals helped, especially the Expert A-Spec but still the higher races were out of reach for a very long time and before they added the seasonals it was really really bad and of course that is when I played GT5, I could not tell you how many times I ran around Indy just to get XP to try and unlock something else or earn a few credits.
This argument is a bit like saying GT6 is still on patch 1.01 and the only way to get needed credits with any sort of speed is by doing the VGT glitch or buying microtransactions. It's an experience that is at odds with how most of the people would have actually experienced the game at this point, since PD took steps so quickly to repair things.

By the time the high payout repeatable seasonal came to be I had already quit playing.
You stopped playing after only 6 months? I know some people did, especially when the PSN thing happened and made the game somewhat unplayable for a month, but the high payout seasonals happened pretty quickly for a game that had major support for a bit over two years; nevermind the one-time huge payout seasonals and log in bonus that showed up almost immediately.

And, most importantly, all of this is all ignoring that the main crux of my argument is that GT6 doesn't allow player choice for progression rather than any specifics for which game is more linear than the others; and that because of functionality stripped away and/or additional restrictions imposed on top of what GT5 had people are exaggerating how much better GT6 actually is. Couple that with people having cloudy judgment of how much better GT5 was made very quickly compared to how poor it was at launch.
GT6 right now is a damn sight better than GT5 was in November of 2010, but it was only November of 2010 for one month out of the 24-30 that GT5 was actively supported; and GT6 is not that much better than GT5 that the advancements GT5 had over its life can be overlooked. Particularly when GT6 is not unilaterally improved over GT5, having issues with obsessively restricting the player that even circa-2010 GT5 would balk at.

On top of the "forced to buy a car to start the game" thing that GT5 introduced instead of allowing the player to do licenses first (ultimately compulsory, as in GT1-4, or entirely optional as in GT5) and use prize cars early in the game, now you are required to buy a specific car before you can even look around the main menu; and you can't even do licences or get prize cars until the game says you can. That's a massive amount of replayability for the game, completely excised.
With the removal of the gifting tool and, for that matter, most of the online functionality, also goes with the removal of having a friend help you out in the early portion of the game. B-Spec is gone too, so now the player can't even hand off the game to the computer to advance through races.
Online play, which in GT5 was both an option for the player to not have to bother with single player at all and an option to advance your experience level (albeit slowly) is now almost completely dependent on single player advancement since Shuffle Mode was removed and the online payouts are pitiful; and the game requires you to complete an arbitrary amount of Single Player to even access what little was carried over from GT5.

Even ignoring the more controversial stuff I didn't mention, like whether licence tests being reverted to compulsory was a regression or not, which one of those changes above was an improvement on GT5's ideas for game design? No one liked the experience system in GT5, surely; but it is truly surprising that GT6's system is given so much high praise when its main advantage is that it isn't the experience system rather than what it does well by its own merit (both compared to the first four titles and even GT5 in places).

Last edited:
For example Forza 4 sold 2 million in the same period, don't see people saying that was a problem....
We already explained, it's to do with budget and sales targets. Forza hasn't sold 8-10 million per game then dropped to 2, it's always been around there.

It doesn't matter who you are or what you sell, a huge drop in sales is not good, even if it's from 700 million to a mere 200 million.

Who to believe, GTP forum or Wikipedia?

One of them links to vgchartz, the other links to a variety of sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_6#Reception

These sales helped almost to double the sales of the PS3 console compared to the previous week.[38] Among the Famitsu 2013 Top 100, a listing of the top 100 Japanese retail software sales for the year of 2013 from data collected by Famitsu's parent company Enterbrain, the game ranked number 24, with 282,686 physical retail sales within Japan.[39] The game was the bestseller in France, Germany, Norway,[40] Finland[41] and New Zealand,[42] number 2 in Australia and Italy,[43] number 3 in the UK[44] Sweden[45] Denmark[46] and Greece,[47] and number 4 in Spain[48] and South Africa.[49] It was the 42nd highest selling game of 2013 across all formats in the UK, with it also being the biggest selling single-format racing title of the year.[50] The game fared less well in North America, just making the top ten.[51] The game was still in the top ten of the European PSN download sales chart at the end of February 2014.[52
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_6#cite_note-52
[/URL]

Who to believe? The GTP forum members who attempt to defend the sales numbers that they talk about while (usually but sadly not always) acknowledging those numbers' inability to be validated; or the GTP forum member who copy pastes a Wikipedia article because it has a "variety of sources" without actually checking all of those sources to see whether they say what the article says they do?

Last edited:
Sounds like you checked them all. Feel free to mention the ones that you dispute.

Bonus likes will be awarded if you use vgchartz as supportive evidence.

Well, had you examined the information rather than pasting the end of the Wikipedia article, you would have seen that this part:
Among the Famitsu 2013 Top 100, a listing of the top 100 Japanese retail software sales for the year of 2013 from data collected by Famitsu's parent company Enterbrain, the game ranked number 24, with 282,686 physical retail sales within Japan.
Certainly can't be proved with the link provided that only talks about sales of games through the end of June of 2013. Digging up the actual link does a better job at doing that; though then you also are contending with how the game which sold 205,000 in two days then failed to sell 80,000 in the following 3 and a half weeks. And that also doesn't paint the best picture when GT5 sold just over twice as many copies in about a week's more time.

Similarly, while it's nice that the game was the best 4th selling game of December in... South Africa, such a statement is rather meaningless when there's no point of reference to anything else.

Edit: Damn WYSIWYG editor keeps deleting the links. Should be fixed now.

Last edited:
Similarly, while it's nice that the game was the best 4th selling game of December in... South Africa, such a statement is rather meaningless when there's no point of reference to anything else.

All those other countries are points of reference. Not sure why you would single South Africa out?

With what reference to actual numbers? We've all acknowledge that the VGChartz figures could be very wrong but until PD release their own numbers they're all we have to go on.

With what reference to actual numbers? We've all acknowledge that the VGChartz figures could be very wrong but until PD release their own numbers they're all we have to go on.
At least there is a reference to total sales with VGC, and even if it wouldn't be 100% correct i don't think the actual difference will run into the millions...

I'd think PD would have released their own figures by now, if they would have been proud of GT6's success.

All those other countries are points of reference.
Points of reference for what? The measuring period isn't even the same for each source. The question/debate is whether "the sales numbers are disastrous", and a game placing somewhere in the top five in an individual country for one week doesn't do much of anything to justify either main viewpoint. There's no way of knowing with a single point of information:
  • If the game had any of that traditional GT staying power, which infamously erratic weekly sales charts say nothing about when only one is reported. The game could have topped the sales charts in its debut week, then had the bottom completely fall out. This happens almost every time a new Wii U game debuts in the UK weekly charts. It happened for GT6 in Japan.
  • What it usually takes for a game to break into that Top 5 for an individual country. If all it takes is a thousand copies for a game to be a bestseller in any given week in New Zealand, it doesn't tell you much of anything for overall sales other than it sold better than the game that only 800 copies which didn't make it on the list.
  • How much better or worse the game is selling than other games in the Top 5. The Japanese link points out directly that GT6 was the best selling game in its debut week, and the second best selling game sold half as much. Who is to say that the same thing didn't happen in any of those Top 5 countries that didn't provide numbers where GT6 didn't place at the top? Maybe the two best selling games in Greece sold 50,000 copies each and GT6 sold 10,000.
  • How GT6's sales relate to GT5's sales (and/or the sales of older games), which a "Top X" list that doesn't provide numbers says nothing about at all (but those that do seem to be painting a poor picture).
The raw Japanese sales data above is very helpful to determine how well GT6 is selling, since we have the same equivalent data for GT5; and sales trackers that directly compares GT5 sales with GT6 sales based on hard data even if they don't actually provide the data is also quite informative. If Sony was to release the totals themselves, like they did for GT5 within 3 months, that would obviously be the most helpful of all. That GT6 was the 3rd best selling game in Greece in the week it launched is not so much.

Not sure why you would single South Africa out?
Because it was one of the few examples that talked about monthly sales, and I talked at greater length about the one that actually posted numbers.

Tornado is right, numbers mean everything. If you don't have them any top X is useless. When I released my synthesizer/sequencer app, it was the #1 in the Music category in Urugay. How many did I sell there? 2. The only thing that means anything is hard sales numbers.

We already explained, it's to do with budget and sales targets. Forza hasn't sold 8-10 million per game then dropped to 2, it's always been around there.

It doesn't matter who you are or what you sell, a huge drop in sales is not good, even if it's from 700 million to a mere 200 million.

I understand your point since GT6 sales are the lowest (by far) of any GT game; but these guys (I mean the guys that come with numbers) don't live under a rock. You don't know what was their expectation but you assume it.

2.3 million in the current climate is good, lots of people would have held back because of PS4 launch no doubt plus in terms of profit I really don't think they had to do that much to the engine, all the leg work and money was spent on GT5, GT6 was more to do with optimizing the way the CPU and GPU were used so that tweaks could be made to the engine. 2.5 million x $60 do the math, they won't be out of pocket by any stretch of the imagination. Its not a problem for me, I'm playing and enjoying the game regardless how many people have/haven't purchased it.

Last edited:
Has any game actually outsold GT6 on PS3 since its launch? Given the climate GT6 was launched into its sales really are not that bad. It was simply launched on PS3 when gamers wanted PS4 games (and they thought they were getting Driveclub very soon for free remember). And not only that but it came out at the very height of the PS4 buzz, the timing really could not have been worse. A month or two of delays might actually have increased sales taking the game a little further out of the PS4's shadow.

All I can say is that GT7 better pull a GT3 and give us less cars and tracks but superior graphics and gameplay. Where GT3 excelled was that it didn't try to shove too much half-baked unfinished content in your face like GT5 did and GT6 is doing. Keep it simple, play it safe.

All I can say is that GT7 better pull a GT3 and give us less cars and tracks but superior graphics and gameplay. Where GT3 excelled was that it didn't try to shove too much half-baked unfinished content in your face like GT5 did and GT6 is doing. Keep it simple, play it safe.

I hope this is the case. GT6 has enough premium-quality content which can be carried over to GT7 and still be considered as a complete game, before DLC. Worst case scenario, we would end up with around 500 cars and at least 20 environments.

Has any game actually outsold GT6 on PS3 since its launch? Given the climate GT6 was launched into its sales really are not that bad. It was simply launched on PS3 when gamers wanted PS4 games (and they thought they were getting Driveclub very soon for free remember). And not only that but it came out at the very height of the PS4 buzz, the timing really could not have been worse. A month or two of delays might actually have increased sales taking the game a little further out of the PS4's shadow.
http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2014/Global/ I count 5 with higher sales than GT6 in 2014. While it's true some people are buying PS4 games, PS3 games are still outselling PS4 games by a margin of nearly 3:1 this year. VGChartz only estimates disc sales, they don't count digital sales.

People keep mentioning the PS4, fact of the matter is there were/are 80million+ PS3s out there as potential GT6 sales and only 7 million PS4s out there as potential 'thefts' of a GT6 sale. It's the whole reason PD launched it on PS3 and the same reason many people here were using for it.

The 'lost' sales to PS4 are insignificant unless you're going to tell me every single one of the 7 million PS4 buyers were going to buy GT6 but sold their PS3 and bough the PS4.

Last edited:
People keep mentioning the PS4, fact of the matter is there were/are 80million+ PS3s out there as potential GT6 sales and only 7 million PS4s out there as potential 'thefts' of a GT6 sale. It's the whole reason PD launched it on PS3 and the same reason many people here were using for it.

The 'lost' sales to PS4 are insignificant unless you're going to tell me every since one of the 7 million PS4 buyers were going to buy GT6 but sold their PS3 and bough the PS4.
Agreed. In my opinion, people skipped out on GT6 probably because GT5 left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. Unintuitive course maker, standards, awful menus, etc. Going back to what I said before though, maybe giving us all premiums at the expense of less cars and more detailed graphics at the expense of less tracks would probably bring a lot of former GT diehards back to the series. Adding in the features we have been requesting since GT5's launch (livery editor, course maker, etc.) would most definitely rekindle the spark. Could the timing have been better? Yeah, probably. But its not too late to start marketing. And who knows, maybe GT7 will be the game we've been waiting for all along...

Agreed. In my opinion, people skipped out on GT6 probably because GT5 left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths.
I'm thinking this probably isn't the case, as far as sales go. Since holidays 2012, SONY sold a million more copies of GT5, so evidently that sour taste was only in the mouths of the hardcore, like we've seen here for years. Endlessly. ;)

So I'm still thinking that GT6 is a victim of sequelitis at the end of the PS3 marketlife. Even though the marketing was emphasizing a whole new experience in GT6 from 5, I knew that this was probably going to be a minor boost. And while I love that minor boost, the PS3 just couldn't deliver an entirely fresh universe to experience. And I'm sure the gamers at large thought so too. My friends did, and even into the spring, some of them asked why GT6 wasn't on PS4.

I doubt the GTA fans were hoping to see it on PS4 for more detailed boobies. Well... sure, some were, human nature and all that. But when you're trying to recreate a universe, like racing games do, technology matters. It's why I'm dying to see anything Gran Turismo on PS4.

Back