GT6 Top Speeds Are Not Realistic, Please Fix PD!

I'm having problems myself with certain cars/tracks combinations and aero. For example, after 1.07 a Team Oreca Matmut 908 Hdi with stock aero and no camber in my hands can do a 3:22.11 around 13 La Sarthe while the same car with minimum downforce laps about two seconds slower. This is generally not how it works in real life. Also on the same track the Team Joest Audi R18 can barely do 319 kph between Tetre Rouge and the first chicaine. The top speed of that car at the 2011 24 hours of Le Mans was a reported 336 kph.

Lowering ride height seems to increase top speed. Lowering ride height from 85/85 to stock 80/80 increases top speed in that section from 317 to 318 kph. Lowering further to 75/75 increases it to almost 320 kph easily and consistently.

I'm having problems myself with certain cars/tracks combinations and aero. For example, after 1.07 a Team Oreca Matmut 908 Hdi with stock aero and no camber in my hands can do a 3:22.11 around 13 La Sarthe while the same car with minimum downforce laps about two seconds slower. This is generally not how it works in real life. Also on the same track the Team Joest Audi R18 can barely do 319 kph between Tetre Rouge and the first chicaine. The top speed of that car at the 2011 24 hours of Le Mans was a reported 336 kph.

Lowering ride height seems to increase top speed. Lowering ride height from 85/85 to stock 80/80 increases top speed in that section from 317 to 318 kph. Lowering further to 75/75 increases it to almost 320 kph easily and consistently.

I'd dare to say that race cars is different story... you can change a lot and team in real life can change a lot of settings, wing angles, power output (quali / race eco mode, etc, etc) so you cant compare top speeds. But for standard road cars, 100% stock, no tuning, it's quite easy to do comparison and to see the difference.

325 vs 370 kph is too much for 'basic variation'

After watching the 'Truth In 24' movies (I got a bit obsessed with Audi! :) ) I've been driving the heck out of the R18 at Sarthe and have noticed it cannot pull itself through the air anywhere fast enough, even with the aero set to a minimum. Could it be that cars making downforce in the game like race cars have the opposite problem to road cars? That maybe drag goes from nothing to very heavy drag as soon as downforce comes into it? Testing with one race car is hardly conclusive, and the R18 probably makes more power in real life than the 540PS+ that they claim. I can't get anywhere near the 3:26 (real life lap time) mark for a lap around Sarthe, the best I've gotten out it is 3:46. That's with 540hp running no aero for maximum straight line speed, which happens to be only 317km/h. The R18 was trapped in the 2011 event at 330+ as you've pointed out. I've tried running more aero for a faster lap time but my overall times just get slower because of the loss in speed on all those straights.

I'm going to try dropping the car as low as possible now after reading your comments.

edit: Yep, picked up 10km/h just by dropping the car as low as possible. Ruined the handling, but can confirm ride height has a huge impact on straight line speed.

Last edited:
YZF
After updating game to 1.05: Nothing was fixed. Just tried SL55AMG (stock) and sure enough, I reached unrealistic 370km/h on Route X (instead of real world tested ~325km/h)

PD is useless...

Never test top speed at SSRX, the track lack aero drag properties, do it at SSR7 ( tunnel ), a lot of cars in GT6 are inaccurate ( power, weight, gearing, weight distribution ). If you want to know, try my 2 Ferrari F40 replica ( with many corrections for both US and EU market model )

I think the Enzo may have incorrect stats or gearing like F40 does when stock in GT6. Always test top speed at SSR7.

Never test top speed at SSRX, the track lack aero drag properties, do it at SSR7 ( tunnel ), a lot of cars in GT6 are inaccurate ( power, weight, gearing, weight distribution ). If you want to know, try my 2 Ferrari F40 replica ( with many corrections for both US and EU market model )

I think the Enzo may have incorrect stats or gearing like F40 does when stock in GT6. Always test top speed at SSR7.

I remember trying top speed tests on SSR7 and as far as i remember, it was the same... I can do that again, specifically on this track, but I doubt it'll be diffferent...

YZF
I remember trying top speed tests on SSR7 and as far as i remember, it was the same... I can do that again, specifically on this track, but I doubt it'll be diffferent...

It will be at least slower to reach same speed on SSR7, I have done many laps there building Wangan Midnight replicas, when these cars are driven at SSRX, they become quicker to reach same speed and usually have higher top speed as well.

I just did simple test with my EU Market Ferrari F40 replica ( 471HP ) - CS tire to replicate real life factory tire, at SSRX it tops out at rev limit easily at just over the 3000m line - 340kmh, grip real test drive.

Then I went to SSR7, grip real, it tops out at 322kmh at 1st tunnel, and 329kmh at 2nd tunnel. At SSR7 it crawls from 300kmh onwards, while at SSRX it accelerate faster to 340kmh :P

The real F40 tops out at 324kmh :)

It will be at least slower to reach same speed on SSR7, I have done many laps there building Wangan Midnight replicas, when these cars are driven at SSRX, they become quicker to reach same speed and usually have higher top speed as well.

I just did simple test with my EU Market Ferrari F40 replica ( 471HP ) - CS tire to replicate real life factory tire, at SSRX it tops out at rev limit easily at just over the 3000m line - 340kmh, grip real test drive.

Then I went to SSR7, grip real, it tops out at 322kmh at 1st tunnel, and 329kmh at 2nd tunnel. At SSR7 it crawls from 300kmh onwards, while at SSRX it accelerate faster to 340kmh :P

The real F40 tops out at 324kmh :)

Well you have to take into account that SSR7 doesn't have long enough straight, and if you are accelerating 'in a corner' then the acceleration will be lower. Also there are slight elevation differences, ie there is a hill in the tunnel...

I'll do my favourite SL55AMG test there later today

YZF
Well you have to take into account that SSR7 doesn't have long enough straight, and if you are accelerating 'in a corner' then the acceleration will be lower. Also there are slight elevation differences, ie there is a hill in the tunnel...

I'll do my favourite SL55AMG test there later today

The F40 didn't accelerate anymore on 1st tunnel - 322kmh for several seconds, so there's no issue of not long enough straight. And the elevation difference is moot when at SSRX, the F40 able to maintain close to 335kmh even on the uphill after 3000m mark. At SSR7 2nd tunnel, with downhill elevation ( slight ), it tops at 329kmh and stays there for a few moment and dropped to 328kmh.

OK, so i have made some tests on SSR7 and my conclusion is clear: this is not the track to test for top speed. Main issue: there's no long enough straight. Those slight corners, where you go flat out, aren't good because you loose acceleration even under slightest steering wheel turn. You must have dead straight direction.

The only place on that track for complete straight line is in the tunnel. However, both 'ends' of the tunnel go uphill (that's why it's a tunnel, it goes down ant then up). So when you are reaching higher speed, and you need flat straight, you go uphill.

What a did though, is to install the NOS. And force car to accelerate in corners with the help of it. When I reached 350kph I disabled NOS and started waching: will the speed go down, or will it go up before I 'hit the hill'. And to my no surprise, the SL55AMG was increasing it's speed past 350 kph on it's own. Not for long, as I soon started going uphill and speed stoped increasing, or even declined, but this was enough to notice that unrealistic top speed is everywhere in the game, not only on SSRX.

Some people think that it's because of SSRX. No, it's not. It's the car physics (or overall game physics) flaw. And you need about 5-6kms, or even more, complete straight and flat track to do these tests. SSRX is the only place for that.

The F40 didn't accelerate anymore on 1st tunnel - 322kmh for several seconds, so there's no issue of not long enough straight. And the elevation difference is moot when at SSRX, the F40 able to maintain close to 335kmh even on the uphill after 3000m mark. At SSR7 2nd tunnel, with downhill elevation ( slight ), it tops at 329kmh and stays there for a few moment and dropped to 328kmh.

Elevation is very important on SSR7. You feel it immediately.

My point was the car encountered considerable drag above certain speed on other tracks, except SSRX. Even on downhill last straight of nordschleife, the F40 replica could barely managed 302+kmh, now go backwards on the same last straight - uphill, starting from the pit entrance, the F40 can reach 324kmh easily before the Audi sign, even with the big elevation, the acceleration is strong above 300kmh, the aero drag only works in one direction on this particular track. This behavior is similar when running at SSRX. I think PD forgot to turn on aero drag at SSRX.

YZF
Elevation is very important on SSR7. You feel it immediately.

Run it in reverse, I find the top speed of the F40 is still the same 322kmh and 329kmh on both tunnels, now why does the F40 can reach 330+kmh easily even with big elevation on SSRX ?

I'll prefer SSR7 for rough estimation of a car top speed than SSRX.

SSR7 uphill is less steep than SSRX uphill

The same C7 left to roll reached 8 km/h on SSR7 while on SSRX 12 km/h within 10 seconds after letting the brakes.(1st gear)

At SSR7 the C7 going uphill reached 330 km/h

At SSRX the C7 going uphill reached 342 km/h

This difference can be more and less pronounced with different cars but it's there.

SSR7 uphill is less steep than SSRX uphill

The same C7 left to roll reached 8 km/h on SSR7 while on SSRX 12 km/h within 10 seconds after letting the brakes.(1st gear)

At SSR7 the C7 going uphill reached 330 km/h

At SSRX the C7 going uphill reached 342 km/h

This difference can be more and less pronounced with different cars but it's there.

Now try that on Nordschleife last straight, one going in the usual direction ( you should hit lower top speed ) and one backwards, start from the pit entrance, you will usually hit higher top speed even before passing the Audi R8 sign. This shows that aero drag only applied in one direction at Nordschleife and the backwards behavior is similar to SSRX. SSR7 has aero drag in both directions.

My point was the car encountered considerable drag above certain speed on other tracks, except SSRX. Even on downhill last straight of nordschleife, the F40 replica could barely managed 302+kmh, now go backwards on the same last straight - uphill, starting from the pit entrance, the F40 can reach 324kmh easily before the Audi sign, even with the big elevation, the acceleration is strong above 300kmh, the aero drag only works in one direction on this particular track. This behavior is similar when running at SSRX. I think PD forgot to turn on aero drag at SSRX.

Run it in reverse, I find the top speed of the F40 is still the same 322kmh and 329kmh on both tunnels, now why does the F40 can reach 330+kmh easily even with big elevation on SSRX ?

I'll prefer SSR7 for rough estimation of a car top speed than SSRX.

I don't know about Nordschleife, we didn't speak about that track before and I didn't do test there...lets get back to SSRX and SSR7. The thing, which I mentioned, with SSR7 is that it has uphill in BOTH directions when going in tunnel. So no matter the direction (reverse or forward), you will 'hit the hill'. And that's why it's not good for top speed tests. And also, tunnel is short. It's like couple kms? something like that? And you need 5-6 minimum, or even more. And acceleration stops because you start climbing.

Now i don't want to compare or analyse why climbing on SSRX may be different than climbing on SSR7, that's irrelevant. We need flat track to test and SSR7 is neither straight enough nor flat enough.

As I said, I did 350kph with SL55AMG there and it was still going faster. If SSR7 had longer straights, it would do those ~370kph mentioned previously. That's nonsence. This car has ~325 real top speed. That's it. No more.

YZF
I don't know about Nordschleife, we didn't speak about that track before and I didn't do test there...lets get back to SSRX and SSR7. The thing, which I mentioned, with SSR7 is that it has uphill in BOTH directions when going in tunnel. So no matter the direction (reverse or forward), you will 'hit the hill'. And that's why it's not good for top speed tests. And also, tunnel is short. It's like couple kms? something like that? And you need 5-6 minimum, or even more. And acceleration stops because you start climbing.

Now i don't want to compare or analyse why climbing on SSRX may be different than climbing on SSR7, that's irrelevant. We need flat track to test and SSR7 is neither straight enough nor flat enough.

As I said, I did 350kph with SL55AMG there and it was still going faster. If SSR7 had longer straights, it would do those ~370kph mentioned previously. That's nonsence. This car has ~325 real top speed. That's it. No more.

And you used NOS to reach that with SL55 AMG, is it stock ? Comfort tires ? Higher grip tire allows higher top speed with less slip, I always stick to comfort soft on street cars.

Let's just say that I disagree, I often test top speed at SSR7, it's good enough for me, a lot better than the no aero drag at SSRX. SSR7 also has slight downhill on one of the tunnels.

And you used NOS to reach that with SL55 AMG, is it stock ? Comfort tires ? Higher grip tire allows higher top speed with less slip, I always stick to comfort soft on street cars.

Let's just say that I disagree, I often test top speed at SSR7, it's good enough for me, a lot better than the no aero drag at SSRX. SSR7 also has slight downhill on one of the tunnels.

I used NOS in order to compensate the lack of long straight. Otherwise it's too short. There's just not enough distance to go faster.

And speed stops climbing not because the car reaches it's peak power (top speed), but because you start hill climbing... that's why it's no good for top speed test.

Tyres were default, when the car was bought. No changes, the way it came from dealership.

There is a definite problem with SSRX, there is completely no drag there. That's why after my initial tests there I went to the Sarthe circuit with no chicanes to test top speed instead. I established that speed for high powered road cars is still exaggerated and unrealistic in GT6 compared to GT5, but at SSRX it's just ridiculous.

I've put the question to Kaz in the questions for Kaz part of the forums in a thread titled 'Why is the release of new features taking precendence over fixing bugs', put a like on it if you feel we need answers to this question and a fix for the top speed problem.

Did anyone ever consider that SSRX may not be on earth?

I think the best explanation given by someone was that at sea level there is less drag to the air or something, and the track is right on the water. But SSRX is merely the worst place for the problem, the top speed innacuracies can be identified at every track. GT5 had it right and GT6 has it wrong.

Here's what I wonder: Does PD know about this? If they do, why did it slip through? If not, why didn't they test for it?

The same could be said for any number of the bugs in GT6. I don't question PD's passion for their product. I just believe that they cannot deliver their product on time and budget without cutting serious corners everywhere because they're too damn small. The online factor has enabled them to do this and then work on patches to slowly bring the game up to scratch, but in the meantime everyone who buys the game early has to put up with a buggy and unfinished project.

I think the best explanation given by someone was that at sea level there is less drag to the air or something, and the track is right on the water. But SSRX is merely the worst place for the problem, the top speed innacuracies can be identified at every track. GT5 had it right and GT6 has it wrong.

Isn't it the other way around where the air is thinner at higher altitudes?

My c7 corvette hits 234 mph!! And the zr1 hits about 10mph more on tge straights than in gt5

That's cause you're getting a tail wind boost trust me PD know what they're doing. :sly:

NOTE: This is sarcasm, it injures thousands each year, don't let yourself be one of them. Thank you

Isn't it the other way around where the air is thinner at higher altitudes?

Yep it should be. Perhaps the air gets thinner with altitude everywhere except in backwards Gran Turismo land...................

It was 'Blueshift' who put this forward earlier in the thread:

"Again, perfectly normal there. Sea level air.

The altitude of a track, temperature (so, day and nigth) and % humidity (day & nigth again) play an important part in the "R" factor of R * v². Not to mention the wind, there's some transversal wind on SSX aswell."

This doesn't explain it away, and the high top speeds are not caused by tailwinds either, you can get an unrealistically high speed in either direction at SSRX, it will just be extra bad on the side with the tailwind, not quite so high in the other direction.

Last edited:
Lol it just seems like most cars arent drag limited they go all the way up to redline of the last gear.. n the way they have the corvettes geared in this game its more noticable with them. As much as i like the new c7 i dont think it can hit well over 200mph on a reg track straightaway.

Last edited:
I just did an experiment.. stock corvette zr1 tops out at 215mph in gt5... Sounds about right and accurate to real life.. that same stock zr1 bounces off the rev limiter 3/4 of the way down the mulsanne straight at 222/223 in gt6... This is just one car theres a ton more examples.. You know how the saying goes if it aint broke pd will fix it.

Back