GT6 Top Speeds Are Not Realistic, Please Fix PD!

I think some cars have much higher drag than in real life (the Nascars in particular and the Audi R18 TDI) and road cars here seem to have too low a drag. This seems to be with the newer cars in the game that have higher drag, the older cars seem like they've been given less drag.

With a 207 mph top speed the Nascars arguably are getting nearly 40% more drag than their real life counterparts, as its been done that a 1980s era Nascar once reached 240 mph.

I just did an experiment.. stock corvette zr1 tops out at 215mph in gt5... Sounds about right and accurate to real life.. that same stock zr1 bounces off the rev limiter 3/4 of the way down the mulsanne straight at 222/223 in gt6... This is just one car theres a ton more examples.. You know how the saying goes if it aint broke pd will fix it.

That's what really gets my goat, the physics were very close to real life in GT5, & now they are not. So much for the 'improved physics' of GT6. Why would they mess with it? The only reason I can think of is not a good one, & it was put forward by someone earlier in the thread I think. It's because the game didn't feel fast enough to the kiddies out there. A very arcade reason for changing the physics if you ask me so I hope it's just an error & not something they changed deliberately, but if they won't fix it then the signs are not good........

Having said that, most people seem to be noticing that race cars have too much drag, that they instead suffer from not enough top end. So that hopefully points to an error in the drag & aero modeling & not a deliberate speeding up of things in general.

I had some free time, so I did top speed comparison between GT5 and GT6, where both cars achieved the same top speed (adjusted to GT6's top speed).

But GT5 cars had to get some serious engine tuning to match stock GT6 cars. How much?

Take a look....

GT5_GT6_Same_Top_Speed_Physics_Error.jpg

GT5 vs GT6, stock (default) engine power:

h t t p://s12.postimg.org/4cnbnf6jf/GT5_GT6.jpg

GT5_GT6.jpg

Last edited:
1. If they really achieved the same top speed, why did you need to adjust GT5 to GT6's top speed?
2. Was it just power adjustment, or were gear ratios changed?
3. What were the top speeds of the GT5 cars in stock form?
4. Why are the revs different in each comparison?

I'm sorry if you feel bad after answering these.

1. If they really achieved the same top speed, why did you need to adjust GT5 to GT6's top speed?

They did not achieve the same top speed. That's the whole point. GT6 cars are much much faster compared to GT5 cars. How much? By adjusting top speeds to be the same, you can 'see' the difference from HP point of view: 250-300HP difference.

2. Was it just power adjustment, or were gear ratios changed?

For those cars, which have long enough stock gear ratios, only power was increased for GT5, and nothing was changed for GT6 car. For example FordGT. For other cars, gear ratios had to be adjusted, otherwise cars run out of gears and are limited by rev.limiter and not natural drag/track resistance.

3. What were the top speeds of the GT5 cars in stock form?

I have uploaded answer (as picture) to this question in second post: please take a look at it before asking.

4. Why are the revs different in each comparison?

They are not, if stock gear ratios are used in both cars. But if adjustments had to be made, to prevent bouncing of the rev limiter (as explained in second paragraph of this post) then any difference is only because of my aproximate adjustment of gears. I could redo test to match revs as accurately as possible, but the final outcome won't change much - this huge difference between GT5 and GT6 will remain.

It's not going to change EVER. Just forget it. It would great if the speed was correct - testing all these cars with different mods...but nope. not happening.

Assetto Corsa have Nardo test track mod if you want some top speed testing 👍 (top speeds are correct obviously - maybe a couple km/h off)

Some strange things are happening with this forum so my second post with GT5 vs GT6 stock engine comaprison screenshot is gone. I am posting here, for the jimipitbul to see:

GT5_GT6.jpg

YZF
I have uploaded answer (as picture) to this question in second post: please take a look at it before asking.

GT5 Ford GT is in 5th gear, GT6 Ford GT is in 6th gear

Perhaps post larger pictures of the stock times so we can compare the revs?

GT5 Ford GT is in 5th gear, GT6 Ford GT is in 6th gear

Perhaps post larger pictures of the stock times so we can compare the revs?

It's better if you open the link above your answer, there is full size screenshot.

To answer your question about FordGT: GT5 (stock) FordGT is in 5th gear because....wait for it... it can't go faster in 6th! After changing to 6th, the speed just drops. In GT6, though, air resistance is so week (unrealistic) that it goes without any hesitation in 6th, all the way to the totally unrealistic 396 kph (246 mph <- lol ) top speed.

I heard that the 1969 Ford GT hit 240mph at Le Mans

Imagine if it was a perfectly flat road like Route X, it might even reach 246mph

I'm pretty sure the 1969 Ford GT hit 240mph at Le Mans

But we are talking about 2006 Ford GT street/road car, which has an official top speed of 205 mph (330 km/h) ! This is a completely different car.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/spec/1689/Ford-GT.html

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2400.html

It's dead for over a year now and it has no HP difference comparison :rolleyes:

Last edited:
YZF
But we are talking about 2006 Ford GT street/road car, which has an official top speed of 205 mph (330 km/h) !

Apparently it's electronically speed limited to 205mph. Not sure what the official top speed is, though some say pulling 6500rpm in 5th gear would give you 217mph

Apparently it's electronically speed limited to 205mph. Not sure what the official top speed is, though some say pulling 6500rpm in 5th gear would give you 217mph

And in GT5, in 5th gear, we are getting.... 217 mph (350 km/h)... seems realistic then, doesn't it?

But then we go to GT6 and holly mother f batman: 246 mph !!!

:)

Or look at the Enzo... Ferrari says: 355 (guys did 360 in real life video) and in GT6 ...it is faster than real life Veyron - 411 km/h !! LoL.... 0_o

It is already a known issue that top speeds are seriously bugged in gt6. It's as if wind resistance isn't doing nearly as much as it should be doing. There has been lots of talk about it on these forums already, but pd has yet to comment on it.

YZF
And in GT5, in 5th gear, we are getting.... 217 mph (350 km/h)... seems realistic then, doesn't it?

But then we go to GT6 and holly mother f batman: 246 mph !!!

:)

Or look at the Enzo... Ferrari says: 355 (guys did 360 in real life video) and in GT6 ...it is faster than real life Veyron - 411 km/h !! LoL.... 0_o

Lets rule out some more factors before calling Batman.

Do these same top speeds apply to real tracks and/or ovals? A comparison between say, Bathurst-Le Sarthe-Nurburgring-Indy-RouteX would certainly look good on your resume.

Should we assume the gear ratios would automatically change with engine upgrades?

Cars with adjustable downforce, some top speed comparisons between min/stock/max settings in both GT5 and GT6.

Last edited:
Not any more, and it is the right place for this to go.

But but but.... people read from first post too! And what the first post of this thread has got? Nothing! :) :)

Previously, at least I could put updated and latest info in the first post...Now i can't :(

YZF
But but but.... people read from first post too! And what the first post of this thread has got? Nothing! :) :)

Previously, at least I could put updated and latest info in the first post...Now i can't :(

I usually read the most recent posts first and work back through the thread. More often than not, someone will quote the first post before you get there.

Lets rule out some more factors before calling Batman.

Do these same top speeds apply to real tracks and/or ovals? A comparison between say, Bathurst-Le Sarthe-Nurburgring-Indy-RouteX would certainly look good on your resume.

The next longest straight track is LeMans. Then it's Monza. LeMans, btw, is very bumpy (unrealistically), but that doesn't stop GT6 car from going much faster.

GT5_GT6_Enzo_Le_Mans_Monza.jpg

Should we assume the gear ratios would automatically change with engine upgrades?

No, you upgrage engine and that's it. Gears stay the same. You have to buy Customizable transmission separately, to adjust gear ratios.

Cars with adjustable downforce, some top speed comparisons between min/stock/max settings in both GT5 and GT6.

I didn't touch cars with adjustable wings (or if it was possible, I didn't touch them) but that is a good idea to test if it's aero calculation issue. Maybe I'll do that some time later. Although by making acceleration comparisons, I noticed that the difference starts to appear above 130 mph (200 km/h) and the faster you go the more difference there is...so it's very likely something to do with aero drag calculation

It's not going to change EVER.
I wouldn't say that. It was similarly broken in the early versions of GT5, particularly that chestnut where Max downforce on cars where it was adjustable was always faster because top speed was barely affected.

It's not going to change EVER. Just forget it. It would great if the speed was correct - testing all these cars with different mods...but nope. not happening.

Well if we sit here like ducks, silently quacking about it, then maybe nothing will happen. But if we (and I mean more gamers, not just myself) start asking PD about it, making some noise, etc, then maybe they'll do something about it.

Because if it's a global thing (meaning there is a bug in one place, and doesn't require adjusting all cars manually) then it could be fixed quickly and easily.

Assetto Corsa have Nardo test track mod if you want some top speed testing 👍 (top speeds are correct obviously - maybe a couple km/h off)

Could you take some cars in AC, which are also in GT6, and do some top speed runs with those AC cars? It would be interesting to compare results.

YZF
I didn't touch cars with adjustable wings (or if it was possible, I didn't touch them) but that is a good idea to test if it's aero calculation issue. Maybe I'll do that some time later. Although by making acceleration comparisons, I noticed that the difference starts to appear above 130 mph (200 km/h) and the faster you go the more difference there is...so it's very likely something to do with aero drag calculation

Also worth testing both directions for each car/track. Especially if you use the handbrake to turn around.

I haven't seen another thread discussing any possible changes to drag coeficient and aero in general yet, and after some car testing I did today I wanted to put this up for discussion.

Just bought the F40 in GT6 and set it up just as I had it in GT5. 472hp, stock gearing, stage 3 weight reduction to get it down to that early F40 1100-1200kg weight range. A twin plate clutch fitted because real life cars came with one. Now the top speed of this car is supposed to be around 200mph and in GT5 that was certainly the case. It would almost achieve this speed in 4th before just being able to pull it's 5th gear, so tall was the gearing. And yet, in GT6 this car pulls right through all its gears and does over 370km/h!!

What gives? PD has not changed displayed ratios at all in the car settings section. They are the same as they were in GT5, and are the correct F40 ratios despite many wanting to argue in other threads that they are not. The car had an accurate top speed before and now it's just not accurate for a stock car, way too fast.

Has anyone else noticed that the cars in general are more slippery in GT6 or something? I'm going to do more testing with other cars but for the moment I can only assume that PD has not modeled drag very well in GT6 or something. Your thoughts everyone?

I haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if this has been posted before, but these are my thoughts on just a couple of cars. The cars in GT6 appear to be limited in top speed by their gear ratio rather than aerodynamic drag. The Shelby Cobra 427 reaches a realistic top speed in GT6 (about 158mph from memory) on standard gearing, but it is bouncing off the limiter so as soon you change the gear ratios it is suddenly much faster.

I was testing the Cobra and the Ferrari 250 GTO and thought maybe I could run them tuning prohibited and just use the power limiter to balance them, but no, instead of a top speed of approximately 170mph the Ferrari is banging against the limiter much earlier than the cobra despite in real life being faster in a straight line than the Cobra.

It is a fairly complex thing to get the aerodynamic physics right in a game, but it is not a complex thing to equip cars with a gear ratio which allows them to reach the correct speed - at least then they could be raced at the right speeds by people wanting to race tuning prohibited. This could be a quickly implemented and useful first step down the road to giving cars realistic top speeds.

The next step would be to overhaul the Aero physics model recognising that at high speeds large gains in power only result in small gains in top speed.

Another step would be to restore a relationship between the PP level and the adjustment of aero components. In GT5 it was possible for example to balance an Alfa Romeo against a Cobra by juggling with the power, PP and aero - now in GT6 this is not possible as adjustment of aero has no influence on PP which is ludicrous as it has a big effect on performance / lap times.

A frustrated Host!

YZF
I had some free time, so I did top speed comparison between GT5 and GT6, where both cars achieved the same top speed (adjusted to GT6's top speed).

But GT5 cars had to get some serious engine tuning to match stock GT6 cars. How much?

Take a look....

GT5_GT6_Same_Top_Speed_Physics_Error.jpg

GT5 vs GT6, stock (default) engine power:

GT5_GT6.jpg

I really have no idea why PD is doing this... :(

I really have no idea why PD is doing this... :(

Probably because in GT6 they use CFD to calculate the aerodynamics.
Pros: Downforce have a bigger impact on drag.
Cons: The model obviously returns drag values that are way too low, for whatever reason.

YZF
No, you upgrage engine and that's it. Gears stay the same. You have to buy Customizable transmission separately, to adjust gear ratios.

Engine tuning, ECU, exhaust and catalyst converter gives a little higher rpm (in GT6 at least, I don't remember if it does the same in GT5), so the top speed increases even with a stock gearbox. I think it's 100 rpm for each stage of tuning, so with engine tuning stage 3, racing exhaust + the other tuning parts the rpm should increase by 800. So if a stock engine revs up to 8000, you can increase the top speed by almost 10% (some is lost due to increased tyre slip at higher speed) just from power upgrades.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back