GT6 Tyre Bug on MR/FR Cars

The second set of tires issue has not been fixed yet with the 1.03 update. For those that are still arguing about whether this is a driver issue or a real "bug", let me assure you it is a real bug.

I am part of a league that does endurance racing and has been racing together for over 3 years. By that I mean that all of our races are a minimum of 1.5 hours in duration and require a minimum of 2 pitstops per race. As a result we have extensive experience running on second and third set of tires. Not only are the laptimes on average 2 seconds per lap slower, but there is a distinct difference in the feel of the car once you have switched to the second and third sets of tires.

As an example, we are currently preparing for our race on Daytona Road Course (2.4 hour race, full 24 hour time progression). The cars are limited to 532HP and 1100KG minimum and limited to Racing Mediums. The room is set up with all settings to REAL and damage is set to HEAVY. Only TCS and ABS are allowed, and almost all members run with TCS=0 and ABS=1, including myself. My weapon of choice is the RE Amemaiya RX-7 GT300 Base Model.

First set of tires - Average laptimes of 1:41.5xx, with fastest lap of 1:40.849 (20+ laps)
Second set of tires - Average laptimes of 1:43.3xx (20+laps)
Third set of tires - Average laptimes of 1:43.3xx (20+ laps)

Not only are the laptimes slower, but the FR cars lose a significant amount of front tire grip on the second and third set of tires compared to the first set. This is most noticeable when turning into the International Horseshoe as well as entering the Bus Stop. In the two horseshoes it is also noticeable on corner exit as the car slides wide. The front tires simply will not grip the way they did on the first set. The same issue is true for both the FR and the MR cars. The change in grip level on the front results in an FR becoming "less" drive able on the second set and the MRs becoming "more" drive able on the second set as the MRs start off with very little rear grip on the first set and gain rear grip on the second set.

The loss of front end grip means that cornering speeds are reduced which results in slower laptimes. This is not a matter of "learn to drive". This is an undeniable "issue" with the game. It is also not an issue of certain cars being "broken" as it affects all cars that I have tested so far.

PD need to prioritize the fix of this horrendous "second set tires" bug. I'm not playing online because of this. PD, PLEASE, wake up.

F1racer, how fast are your laptimes on racing hard?

I actually just went and tested this and the best I was able to do over a 10 lap stint was a 1:43.354 on Racing Hards. Since that is pretty close to what I can get on the second and third stints with Racing Mediums (as per my above post) I decided to pit and switch to Racing Mediums. The car handled exactly the same as it did on the first set and over 10 laps the best I was able to run was a 1:43.118. Keep in mind that when I pitted I specifically select Racing Mediums.

It feels as though the car is being placed on Racing Hards regardless of what you select in the pit options as you enter the pits.

Thanks for the lead in this direction danielc. You may be on to something here.

Are you by chance using an MR car? If so, then the change in grip balance may account for the increase in pace for you are experiencing. Based on what I have felt and heard from others, the MRs actually become easier to drive on the second stint as they are less prone to oversteer on the second set. It seems that it is not just a reduction of grip level, but a shift of grip balance towards the rear of the car after the pit stop. Again, this aspect is based purely on my "feel" of the handling.

With the FR cars I find that the car's handling goes from neutral on the first stint to understeer on the second and third stints. The front end just seems to skate. It quite literally feels like the front is on ice.

I had to put Sport Medium tires and tamper with the LSD settings to remedy this and I did NOT like that.
How do you decide which tires to put on which car? Do you always keep stock or adjust based on PP?
I try to stick to stock tires for the most part but if I mod a 400pp to 450pp or even 500pp, it seems silly to keep the stock comfort softs.

How do you decide which tires to put on which car? Do you always keep stock or adjust based on PP?
I try to stick to stock tires for the most part but if I mod a 400pp to 450pp or even 500pp, it seems silly to keep the stock comfort softs.

It really depends on what the specs of any given event are. For the most part I tend to tune with the one level of compound harder than what the event calls for and then test again on the spec assigned to the event. For example, I also run in a Street Car league. Those events are all Sports Soft for anything under 600PP and Racing Hard for anything over 600PP. For those cars I will tune on one compound harder and then retest. I much prefer to rely on mechanical grip rather than aerodynamic grip.

Ultimately it comes down to what event I am entering and what the rules of that event are.

I guess its all about the setting.
I give them softer suspension and less toe with a bit more camber on the front.
It makes the car feel a lot better and I can push it to the limit

I consider tires depending on the type of car, drivetrain and power. Honestly, PP is something I never cared about at all.

I can say 90% of my cars have Sport Hard tires, a very few old cars have Comfort Soft and Mediums, which are cars that usually don't exceed 100HP. In GT5, my FF cars below 290HP had SH in front and CS at the rear to avoid understeer, but that combination doesn't work well in GT6, so all FF cars are fitted with SH.

The few I have with Sport Mediums are cars that usually exceed 600HP, like the Aston Martin One-77, SRT Viper GTS, Alfa TZ3, Cizeta and such.

Cars that I fit with Sport Softs are usually high end, more track oriented super cars like the Ferrari FXX, Viper ACR, Zonda R, Corvette ZR-1 or Ferrari F40. These cars I usually do the weight reduction 3 too. But that's it. As for tuning, I rarely do that. Most of my cars are bone stock, except for the LSD, and some other minor upgrades.

@Hamisxa, okey, then tell me how to change setup during pitstop? Problem can't be handled thru setting, its real bug, not a feature.

Last edited:
I consider tires depending on the type of car, drivetrain and power. Honestly, PP is something I never cared about at all.

I can say 90% of my cars have Sport Hard tires, a very few old cars have Comfort Soft and Mediums, which are cars that usually don't exceed 100HP. In GT5, my FF cars below 290HP had SH in front and CS at the rear to avoid understeer, but that combination doesn't work well in GT6, so all FF cars are fitted with SH.

The few I have with Sport Mediums are cars that usually exceed 600HP, like the Aston Martin One-77, SRT Viper GTS, Alfa TZ3, Cizeta and such.

Cars that I fit with Sport Softs are usually high end, more track oriented super cars like the Ferrari FXX, Viper ACR, Zonda R, Corvette ZR-1 or Ferrari F40. These cars I usually do the weight reduction 3 too. But that's it. As for tuning, I rarely do that. Most of my cars are bone stock, except for the LSD, and some other minor upgrades.

I see. I'm starting to spend a lot of time figuring out which tires to put on my cars based on PP, tuning, track.
I saw someone mentioning a pp system based on 50pp jumps and I've been a fan for the most part.
450-500=sh
501-550=sm
551-600=ss
601-650=rh
651-700=rm
There's exceptions of course but that's usually due to weight and power more than anything. The fireblade for example is running SH tires @550pp.
In the end if I feel a certain tire is giving too much grip to a car, I'll bump it down to the lower tier.

I am still experimenting wich car(s) i want to keep evolving and tuning. Also i haven't been playing much online, except for experiments and mostly solo.
My problem is another actually, is the wear rate of the second set of tires.
Also i try to match real life cases, for instance, nsx has softer rears, works great in game( sh sm) gtr and most supercars have bespoke tires (thread pattern and compound). They should bring the tire recomendation back...

@Hamisxa, okey, then tell me how to change setup during pitstop? Problem can't be handled thru setting, its real bug, not a feature.
Set it before the race so that you get the perfect setting for both tires.
t takes quite a lot of time to get the setting perfect but I got some settings that are great for Racing Hard and Racing Mediums

Are you by chance using an MR car? If so, then the change in grip balance may account for the increase in pace for you are experiencing. Based on what I have felt and heard from others, the MRs actually become easier to drive on the second stint as they are less prone to oversteer on the second set. It seems that it is not just a reduction of grip level, but a shift of grip balance towards the rear of the car after the pit stop. Again, this aspect is based purely on my "feel" of the handling.

With the FR cars I find that the car's handling goes from neutral on the first stint to understeer on the second and third stints. The front end just seems to skate. It quite literally feels like the front is on ice.

I can confirm all. It's a big deal... PD wake up! Rather than release cars and track, why don't you think to fix these damn bug?

Hi all,

I've posted my findings already in another topic and i want to share my info with you guys as well.

I did some testing with a Friend and its really weird how lap Times change after performing a pitstop.
We are both experienced drivers and the following was concluded.

The test contains 4 cars (all gt300 and specific specs) which we drove for 6laps on racing normal tires.
Then we made a pitstop to fill the tank and get new racing normal tyres which we ran for 6 Laps again.
The track we drove was fuji GT with tirewear normal and no aids except ABS.

I tested the

- celica (Fr car): 1st stint 1.37.0 fastest and average 1.37 low/ 2nd stint 1.39.5 fastest and average 1.40 low

- subaru impreza '06 (4wd): 1st stint 38.2 fastest and average 38 mid/ 2nd stint 39.4 fastest and average 40 low

- re RX-7 '06 (Fr): 1st stint 37.6 fastest and average 37 high/ 2nd stint 39.4 fastest and average 40 low

- lexus is350 (mr): 1st stint 38.6 fastest and average 38 high/ 2nd stint 40.3 fastest and average 40 high

My friend tested

- lexus is350 (mr): 1st stint 37.1 fastest and average 37 low/ 2nd stint 39.4 fastest and average 40 low

- Re RX-7 '06 (fr): 1st stint 37.3 fastest and average 37 high/ 2nd stint 39.5 fastest and average 40 low

We also experienced the same issues in an event online when we drove the BMW gt2 base model for about 50 Laps on silverstone. Lap Times dropped about 2 to 3,5 seconds depending on the driver and their setup.

Tire wear and tire squeeling is also higher than before the pitstop.

I hope PD fixes this quickly and not only me i'm sure!

There is yet still more to the weirdness of this issue. On my current setup the front tires wear faster than the rears on the first set of tires. On all subsequent sets the rears wear faster than the front. Complete reversal after the first pit stop. This makes it very difficult to properly tune the cars for long runs.

There is yet still more to the weirdness of this issue. On my current setup the front tires wear faster than the rears on the first set of tires. On all subsequent sets the rears wear faster than the front. Complete reversal after the first pit stop. This makes it very difficult to properly tune the cars for long runs.

We have postponed all 3 of our Endurance-championships because like you say its very difficult and also useless to set up your car if its all gone with the wind after you pit.. I hope that together with the community-update (whenever that may come) they fix this issue.

We have noticed the change in tire wear as well.
And it's not the hard tire your put on after pits. I've tried all compounds on my personal gt300 but none fully drive as is does after a pit. Whatever it might be, i don't have a clue but it'S there..

Anyone have a solution to this problem? Like more or less on dampers or spring rate. I would like to keep the minimum downforce possible so that I have good exit and straightaway speed. Any advice is welcome

I have no idea why PD are taking so long to fix this issue. It is a serious bug that needs PD's immediate attention.
Not a good sign in my view, a good customer service would be for PD to acknowledge this problem and tell us if it is being looked into and when we could expect a fix.

I do want to play some more GT6 and get used to the new physics engine but quite frankly at the moment this just feels like a gimmick. We all have done some extensive testing and have confirmed that there is a problem here.

I also dont want to start tuning my cars as there is a problem and dont want to go through all the fiasco that GT5 did with updates that changed the car setups.

I have taken my sim hobby to PC and to tell you the truth I feel more at home on these PC titles than with PD's never ending problems. But it is a sad story as I have always played GT right from the beggining and it really is sad to see PD losing the plot.

I do hope that PD fixes this issue as it would be great to get a good feel for the new physics but i'm not crying about it, however I am feeling negative towards PS4's GT7.

You guys say MR cars get faster with the bug, well have any of you tested the LMP cars yet? In all of them I have gotten 2s slower after pit stop even with stock setup.

You guys say MR cars get faster with the bug, well have any of you tested the LMP cars yet? In all of them I have gotten 2s slower after pit stop even with stock setup.

Yeh, some will go slower, depends on the balance of the cars, some MRs have ridiculous oversteer for some reason, so when you pit, it increases understeer and fixes them. Other MRs like the LMPs are stable when you first go out so will understeer after a pitstop.

Yeh, some will go slower, depends on the balance of the cars, some MRs have ridiculous oversteer for some reason, so when you pit, it increases understeer and fixes them. Other MRs like the LMPs are stable when you first go out so will understeer after a pitstop.
anyway to fix the loss of grip? with stable cars

hmm grr theres got to be a way to counter act it though maybe not fix it but at least somehow to tune the car so that it gets the best grip possible.

hmm grr theres got to be a way to counter act it though maybe not fix it but at least somehow to tune the car so that it gets the best grip possible.

Don't know, in theory you could setup the car for lots of oversteer to reduce the understeer after a pit, the problem is I did this with my GTR GT500 Base model (An FR) and it snap oversteered quite violently on the first set of tyres, like the oversteery MR's :(

Don't know, in theory you could setup the car for lots of oversteer to reduce the understeer after a pit, the problem is I did this with my GTR GT500 Base model (An FR) and it snap oversteered quite violently on the first set of tyres, like the oversteery MR's :(
same with the R18, except it becomes uncontrollable after the stop because in order to get the car to be snap loose I loose front grip. i.e. after the stop it flips to snap understeer :D good job PD :banghead:

Back