GT6 vs Real Life: Nürburgring Nordschleife GT86 Race Car

• Thread starter dalomas
  • 32 comments
Hi guys, I'm a loooong-time lurker here, but I thought I'd contribute a little with this video I made. I've been racing in class VT2 (2-litre turbo) and V3 (2-litre NA) in the VLN series here at the Nürburgring.

The last race my team put me in a Toyota GT86 race car, and I had fitted my obligatory helmet cam.

As a life-long GT junky (1 thro' 6) I just knew what I had to do when my copy of GT6 finally arrived!

Hope you enjoy it!

Nice video, and yeah PD should hire guys like Dale to give a proper feedback of the tracks there doing in the games.. it's Always better if a local racing driver gives his feedback on the track and on the racing cars ...

Not only Dale @ Nürburgring, but also other drivers on other tracks...
it would be a small budget for PD to spend and a HUGE difference in the game with BIG improvements...

It's interesting to note that you were far more consistent in real life, and despite the traffic, quite a bit faster too. Any commentary on that? Also, that is the best sound 86 I've heard yet. Do you know what exhaust configuration the race cars have?

Nice video, and yeah PD should hire guys like Dale to give a proper feedback of the tracks there doing in the games.. it's Always better if a local racing driver gives his feedback on the track and on the racing cars ...

it would be a small budget for PD to spend and a HUGE difference in the game with BIG improvements...

Well I don't think its a bad idea by any means... But Kaz him self is a racing driver and a perfectionist so I trust him and his feed back...

But by the way the video is Just amazing... I am glad that GT6 is also the choice for professional drivers when it comes to play with consoles... Dale you should be proud of doing what nearly every one who plays GT series (and we are a few) dreams of doing.

Sorry for the poor english :dunce:

Actually, i think the bumps are accurately recreated, the issue is more likely the head movement. The camera in the real footage is on the drivers head, so obviously there will be a lot of movement, much of which wouldn't be there if the camera was fixed to the car instead.

Either way, this is a great video.

The camera being on my head definitely exaggerates the bumps. BUT... I do believe there are plenty of improvements that could be made by both the artists and the modellers working on the track. Having said that, you can't doubt that GT6 has the BEST representation of the Nurburgring by far. Nordschleife, F1, VLN and 24-hour layout! That's awesome, I'm very grateful. :)

The race cars have stock headers then a sports cat and a single pipe all the way back with minimal silencing.

That was very cool to watch!
You get a much greater sense of speed IRL.
Do you drive likes its just you and the track, or when you are overtaken by higher class cars do yuo drive harder to keep up with them... the mental side of being on the track?

Funny how driving a racecar in GT always feels like you drive a cosy rolls royce at snail pace: not the slightless vibration or shake, the wheel turning is super smooth, unlike the nervous way in the real video with the constant corrections to stabilize the car... I'm not asking for a go-pro helmet camera, but at least, something that give you the immersion that you drive a high powered beast with racing springs and not your Gran' Ma's 70' buick!

Last edited:
The camera being on my head definitely exaggerates the bumps. BUT... I do believe there are plenty of improvements that could be made by both the artists and the modellers working on the track. Having said that, you can't doubt that GT6 has the BEST representation of the Nurburgring by far. Nordschleife, F1, VLN and 24-hour layout! That's awesome, I'm very grateful. :)

The race cars have stock headers then a sports cat and a single pipe all the way back with minimal silencing.

You wouldn't happen to know what brand the exhaust is? I own an 86 (well to be accurate FRS since I am in the US), and am always interested in what has been modified for the race version. Is this also the stock intake, or is that aftermarket as well?

Thanks for posting this though, as an owner and fan of the 86, it is great to see some onboard footage from a race version.

Hi guys, I'm a loooong-time lurker here, but I thought I'd contribute a little with this video I made. I've been racing in class VT2 (2-litre turbo) and V3 (2-litre NA) in the VLN series here at the Nürburgring.

The last race my team put me in a Toyota GT86 race car, and I had fitted my obligatory helmet cam.

As a life-long GT junky (1 thro' 6) I just knew what I had to do when my copy of GT6 finally arrived!

Hope you enjoy it!

Do you play any other race sims and if so what order would you rank them from most realistic to least?

GT6 looks really dull and lifeless compared. The camera should have way more movement. The view has to be steady to the road but the dashboard in front of you moving. Best solution, other sims on PC do that aswell and it works perfect to make it more realistic.

I reconfigured my gaming rig to strenghten the feel of head movement by mounting my 22" display to my wheel stand using a 2 mm thick, 40 mm wide steel plate.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I spend two hours yesterday whatching yours videos, pretty impressive driving, especially on the one in the snow...:bowdown:👍
and the other one, where someone says something about someone being an idiot....:lol:

Quick layout question, i dont spend much time at other variants of the ring other than nordsl...
There is a green car pitting, almost when you are entering the old circuit, this skips the old section entirely... Do you have to re-do that section when you leave the pits to count another lap? Or he's using a shortcut in practice to go quicker to the pits?

Quick layout question, i dont spend much time at other variants of the ring other than nordsl...
There is a green car pitting, almost when you are entering the old circuit, this skips the old section entirely... Do you have to re-do that section when you leave the pits to count another lap? Or he's using a shortcut in practice to go quicker to the pits?

+1, I was wondering the exact same thing.

Hey thanks for putting this together, and thanks for sharing your settings. Settings are something we rarely see with these kind of videos.

It looks like you used sport hard tires, is that right?
Do these cars run street tires or is it just the closest match?

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of being a passenger of Dale's in his topless blue Miata for a lap around the Nordeschleife back in 2011. I had the time of my life and he and the rent4ring crew are amazing.

If you take the shortcut back into the pits, the lap is deducted. Long-time radiolemans.com listers know such stuff ;)

Deducted how? Sorry, didn' understand, what happens if you enter the shortcut say at lap 58, when you cross the s/f line you're still in 58 but cronometer starts again? It has to be the longest "pit entry" in the world!
How does this work on a race against the clock?
Regarding op videos, theres one with a bmw, you can see that in a road car, the camera shakes considerably less than the race car. And i assume the car is not all that confortable on streets, right?

Hope you enjoy it!

Thank you for taking the time to put this together and share with us! 👍 👍

Deducted how? Sorry, didn' understand, what happens if you enter the shortcut say at lap 58, when you cross the s/f line you're still in 58 but cronometer starts again? It has to be the longest "pit entry" in the world!
How does this work on a race against the clock?
Regarding op videos, theres one with a bmw, you can see that in a road car, the camera shakes considerably less than the race car. And i assume the car is not all that confortable on streets, right?

If you enter the pits (during a race) via the GP course, the last lap is (manually) deducted. So if you are (allowed!) to enter the pits via the GP course on your 58th lap, you're set back to having lap 57 completed and are about to start lap 58. The time spent is added to your lap time of lap 57.

I don't know off the top of my head how this is handled during qualifying - everyone basically takes a shortcut to have a flying lap and then finishes in the pits via the GP entry. Don't think the Nordschleife pit entry is open at all during qualifying.

Thanks, and for quali makes much sense, no car needs 20some km of cooling down... It would create some massive acidents due to fast vs cooling cars.

Back