GT6 vs...

• Thread starter DUBLBarryl
  • 33 comments
United States
Woodland, CA
DUBL_Barryl88
Project Cars vs. IRacing vs. RFactor

If you have played and driven on all 3, which do you prefer?
I am a huge fan of Gran Turismo/Playstation, but when it comes down to it, I just love driving/racing.
Out of the 4 mentioned, which feels best? Reality wise...?
Gran Turismo 6 obviously has the worst graphics, but in my eyes, is the closest to reality. So I feel I don't need to drive on the others.. Am I missing out?

In a word, yes. However it depends what you want from a game. The other three are all way towards the racing simulation side of things with full flag rules, proper practice/qualifying and long races etc. Gran Turismo obviously doesn't and teeters more to the casual driving with some poorly thought out racing, so if that's all you want then no, you perhaps don't need anything else.

By the way I don't see how you can say GT is the closest to reality based on videos of the other three alone. You need to play them all to truly judge.

I think some might suggest adding Assetto Corsa to that list, I'm not sure. From the videos I've seen, and from opinions I've read around GTP, I'd say it's pretty close to reality.

I've only played GT out of the above list, but I would think some of the PC sims are more realistic as far as handling goes, judging by what I've read anyway. They may not be as pretty overall, but the feel of the car is much closer. Not to mention the sounds.

You need to play them all to truly judge.
Also, this. Or wait for those who have to come along and share their experiences.

Last edited:
I've been playing a little bit of Richard Burns Rally recently and oh my god, for hands down driving feel and simulation it's amazing, also LFS should be there.

Project cars (IMO) feels horrible, really disconnected from the road and constantly inconsistent, however pretty the insane renders are that they post.

Gran Turismo 6 obviously has the worst graphics, but in my eyes, is the closest to reality.?

If you can say that the GT has the worst graphics,then I'm sure you never get into rFactor.I think you really don't know what you're taking about...

That's rFactor:

06-05panoz3.jpg

If you mean rFactor 2,it has pretty decent graphics,but still not even close to GT6:

Spa%252520Francorcham%2525201969%252520Rfactor%2525202%252520car.jpg

GT6 doesnt even come close to Race07 in terms of physics. I have played Rfactor 1, Race07, and iRacing. GT6 does not even come close to any of the above. Dont get me wrong though, its still pretty darn good, but if you want RACING, you aint gonna get it from the GT series.

iRacing doesn't have amazing graphics either. It's kinda the point, it's supposed to be a relatively low requirement game so a lot of people can get into it without having to have the latest and greatest hardware.

I've not played Project CARS, but I've played iRacing, rFactor and of course GT6. I guess my preference is for GT6, but probably because it's (IMO) not quite as sim-like. The reason being that 100% real conditions in an actual real car is one thing, but a really accurate sim... played with a G27 on a couch... for me it just doesn't really work. I do prefer the feel of iRacing, but it's as if (and these are just random made up numbers) the feel is 50% better, but the step up needs to be 200% to really be comfortable with the improved physics 'n' whatnot. And that extra probably comes from having a crazy set up that I haven't the space nor the money for.

In terms of console Sims nothing can really beat it the only one I can think of is project cars when that comes out on PS4 and XBOX one but I think it puts up a good fight against PC Sims

In terms of console Sims nothing can really beat it the only one I can think of is project cars when that comes out on PS4 and XBOX one but I think it puts up a good fight against PC Sims

No. No it doesnt. PC sims are leagues ahead of the GT series in pretty much every aspect. Physics, track selection, car selection, damage, sound, AI, free DLC (mods), the only thing that I can think of that GT has over PC sims is car detail modelling. Even that is void when the rest of the game is as flawed as this insult to the series.

Only Pros that console sims have over PC sims

-accesability and ease of use
-content variety

Forza 5 is currently the best looking racer to date, PCARS would beat it hands down with slightly better car models (they look like ultra-detailed last-gen models, they still have hard edges and rough textures) I mean, they're still using bit-maps for rearlights ala Shift 2 instead of real 3D models.

However, what these games fail to understand is that reality isn't so exciting, it's rather dull looking, this is where iRacing destroys them, IRacing is hands down the most realistic looking game there is. It just represents reality as it is.

Only Pros that console sims have over PC sims

-accesability and ease of use
-content variety

Forza 5 is currently the best looking racer to date, PCARS would beat it hands down with slightly better car models (they look like ultra-detailed last-gen models, they still have hard edges and rough textures) I mean, they're still using bit-maps for rearlights ala Shift 2 instead of real 3D models.

However, what these games fail to understand is that reality isn't so exciting, it's rather dull looking, this is where iRacing destroys them, IRacing is hands down the most realistic looking game there is. It just represents reality as it is.
I'm quite happy with the overall look of the PCars package. It's not perfect by any stretch but it's also not a huge, well funded studio, so I don't expect everything that you might get from a PD or T10 and hopefully better things will come with PCars2. What they've done with the limited budget they have is simply amazing. If they can get all this to work online I'll be ecstatic, although I do expect some growing pains. I'm more than willing to support an independent that creates games from the ground up with fan feedback the way PCars did/does.

My issues with the way PCARS looks are reflections and tarmac surface having detail where there's none in reality, It's overkill, specially obvious when reflections aren't smooth and don't follow the the body lines and shapes.

Color and contrast is high as well but that can be down to your personal setup.

Sound was also annoying me, they started using Shift 2 samples which makes sense, they were just placeholders but then they just started distorting them more and more, then they started adding layers like the god awful pre-progammed and in your face drivetrain bark. They used heavily modded Shift 2 samples until recently.

Now they're really starting to make some progress and I appreciate that but the drivetrain bark needs to go and instead it has to be physicaly modeled, at the very least, it needs to be faster and deeper and very important Not on every damn car.

As you may know, I don't have access to PCARS so I don't know with precision the changes they've done in the latest builds.

My issues with the way PCARS looks are reflections and tarmac surface having detail where there's none in reality, It's overkill, specially obvious when reflections aren't smooth and don't follow the the body lines and shapes.

Color and contrast is high as well but that can be down to your personal setup.

Sound was also annoying me, they started using Shift 2 samples which makes sense, they were just placeholders but then they just started distorting them more and more, then they started adding layers like the god awful pre-progammed and in your face drivetrain bark. They used heavily modded Shift 2 samples until recently.

Now they're really starting to make some progress and I appreciate that but the drivetrain bark needs to go and instead it has to be physicaly modeled, at the very least, it needs to be faster and deeper and very important Not on every damn car.

As you may know, I don't have access to PCARS so I don't know with precision the changes they've done in the latest builds.
One can criticize every game to death, especially those in the "sim"category which is measured against an easily referenced reality. What I don't see are any game breaking flaws (for me). I and a lot of others I would assume, are looking for a good "game" and I'm more concerned about the offline career and online portion of the game, the driving physics, the overall sound package etc., than I am about reflections, colour and contrast.

GT6 - The graphics/car history/overall decent package for your typical console user.

iRacing/RFactor - PC racing (key word) sims, that focus upon simulating real racing situations. The graphics aren't beautiful, but they don't need to be.

In the end, you have a console game which has to cater for casual racers, more serious racers, car enthusiasts, tuners, and general gamers, whilst the PC sims are there to simulate race physics and situations for serious enthusiasts.

GT does a really decent job of incorporating all aspects, hence its success, but you can't really compare them on completely equal terms.

.......However, what these games fail to understand is that reality isn't so exciting, it's rather dull looking, this is where iRacing destroys them, IRacing is hands down the most realistic looking game there is. It just represents reality as it is.

I think this is a very accurate statement and couldn't agree more with you.

I haven't tried Pcars, but got rFactor in it's early stages, the driving experience felt really good, but because I'm not too good with the kind of technical side of PC's I struggled to get it to look good and set everything up properly. I found iRacing alot more user friendly in that regard, I think it does represent reality graphically very well, and the racing/driving experience is something GT6 will never match. So far iRacing has given me the best overall sim racing experience out of everything I've tried and really can't see myself ever going back to a console.

I've been playing a little bit of Richard Burns Rally recently and oh my god, for hands down driving feel and simulation it's amazing, also LFS should be there.

Project cars (IMO) feels horrible, really disconnected from the road and constantly inconsistent, however pretty the insane renders are that they post.
How can Project CARS feel horrible and disconnected to you? It has yet to be released.

One can criticize every game to death, especially those in the "sim"category which is measured against an easily referenced reality. What I don't see are any game breaking flaws (for me). I and a lot of others I would assume, are looking for a good "game" and I'm more concerned about the offline career and online portion of the game, the driving physics, the overall sound package etc., than I am about reflections, colour and contrast.

Well at least for me, the overall look of the game can be the difference between me believing the experience or just playing a videogame but I'm very conscious about correct display calibration and natural looking media, I have a huge problem with games because they don't follow any standard. One game can be washed out and another can be too dark on the same correctly calibrated display.

I struggled to get into FM4 because of the over the top cartoony graphics but in the end I just gave in, what annoys me is how more and more games are going in that direction. There needs to be a standard and people needs to understand what correct calibration is and looks like.

It's not so much about reflections and contrast, it's about their approach, the media in general creates these idealized worlds with idealized people that live in them, dragging people into these worlds and then making them think that the real world is not good enough or that they're not good enough. I know I'm going way too to deep but our world is rather beautiful as it is, not need to fake it so badly, specially on a so called Simulator.

Talking about these one listed,I played only rFactor,and plus I was a modder of it. The stronger point of rFactor (not iRacing or Pcars,never played these ones) are the damage,racing rules and setup. Yes,a REALLY strong point.

But for me,the physics is the most important point for me. And somehow I don't really like it... I don't know why,but the weight transfers on corners and braking just feels strange in rFactor.

At my point,the physics itself,suspension works and reactions of the cars are the most important things in a racing game. GT6 unfortunatelly is really bad for real racing itself,but the feel of physics in Gran Turismo allways felt better for me.

This and the fact for being an console game makes the GT my favourite one,even with all it's problems and lack of options.

Gran Turismo 6 obviously has the worst graphics
Eh, I have to strongly disagree here. I havent played Project Cars and I have to admit the screenshots look amazing, but.... How can you say GT6 looks worse than iRacing and rFactor.. Really? Hah, no way. I'd say GT6 looks amazing compared to iRacing and rFactor. Both those games look absolutely dated in my opinion.

Eh, I have to strongly disagree here. I havent played Project Cars and I have to admit the screenshots look amazing, but.... How can you say GT6 looks worse than iRacing and rFactor.. Really? Hah, no way. I'd say GT6 looks amazing compared to iRacing and rFactor. Both those games look absolutely dated in my opinion.

Just forgive him,I think he doen't even know these games and how they look like. He don't knew what he was talking about.

How can Project CARS feel horrible and disconnected to you? It has yet to be released.

I'm in the Alpha, have been for quite a long time now. It honestly felt better on their old tyre model, they then updated it and I completely lost hope in the game.

You could buy into is as a member, but the chance to get involved ended shortly after they reached their target budget.

I'm in the Alpha, have been for quite a long time now. It honestly felt better on their old tyre model, they then updated it and I completely lost hope in the game.

You could buy into is as a member, but the chance to get involved ended shortly after they reached their target budget.

When did you last try it?

That's depressing. I was hoping it would be the racing game that breaks us out of the doldrums racing lovers have been in for what seems like an eternity. All is lost!

I recently joined the world of pc-gaming because of the pitstopbug in gt6.
To Discover that world i bought race07. And i find it weird how i enjoy that game more than i do gt6.

I mean i have pitstops that work(the Same car after a pitstop), working and useful telemetry, supercars to drive in, tracks to race on i never even heard of, dedicated servers, the possibility to change my seatposition to the cm, the possibility to practice with half a tank of fuel,...
I could go on for quite a while, havent even mentioned physics yet :)

Probably me and the community i race in will soon all go for assetto corsa, as it seems to be the best package in simracing once the modding and multiplayer are advanced.
Projectcars looks amazing but the complaint about the physics is getting louder and louder in my opinion..

Projectcars looks amazing but the complaint about the physics is getting louder and louder in my opinion..
You mean the one or two people that have complained about the physics who actually have the game vs. the dozens upon dozens of people who say the physics are fantastic?

You mean the one or two people that have complained about the physics who actually have the game vs. the dozens upon dozens of people who say the physics are fantastic?

I mean people that i know, who have the chance to play both AC and Pcars seem to prefer AC because of the physics.

When did you last try it?

A few weeks ago was my last attempt to enjoy it. Every time I check it out I try a few varying cars and tracks to see if anything's better, but every time I leave disappointed.

All is lost based on one person's opinion?

Pcars has none of the raw-direct awesomeness of:

Live For Speed
Rfactor
Netkar Pro
Richard Burns Rally
Race 07
iracing

All of which I have put a good number of hours into. Pcars feels like a money generator to be honest, extremely pretty with an impossible to afford pc and some really tasty sounds if you drive the right way (but can sound horribly faked if you play around with the throttle a bit).

Back