GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,310 comments
Had another great race tonight with another Viper driver. Can't remember the name, his car is all black and his name is two words MM. Anyways, he was pole I was second and by the end of lap three we'd built a 15 second lead. Bumpity Bump Bump. Unfortunately I made a mistake at Tetre Rouge on Lap 4 that basically put an end to any hope of a slingshot win. Good times.

Then I had three races ended by Mulsanne Corner by Bugatti drivers.... Only Bugatti drivers too. Apparently my Viper makes a great Brake Pedal for them. Oh well. Tomorrow is a new day. I want to get my qualifying time down to a 4 flat, I know the speed is there the question is this: Is my skill there :D

Down to a 1:21.4 with the Vantage at Laguna. Optimal time of 1:21.2 and feel like I have a little bit of time at the first hairpin corner thing which I don't fully understand. Turn 6 is just an absolute guess on my part most times. Sometimes I nail it and other times I pray I don't end up in the sand. Failing the Circuit Experience Lap Attack over 300 times really prepared me for this 😂

Just had an amazingly awesome race with a guy I'll call "Punishment Soup" ( I dunno if we can shout out great racing or not so euphemism it is) at Le Mans.

I started on pole with my 4:02:2xx, Soup was right behind me. We get a great bump chain going down the Mulsanne but OH NO I have a .5 second penalty for cutting the track at Tetre Rouge. I know I can't pull ahead of him by enough to maintain the lead after serving my penalty but I can, if I'm good through Indy and Arnage, be fast enough to be right behind him when I'm done serving. So we bump together towards Indianapolis. I get the run through Arnage that I wanted and leave penalty zone on his bumper.

The great thing about the Viper is serving a .5 second penalty you don't have to downshift to start accelerating again as 3rd gear is where you should be when you hit the line, and 3rd is where you need to be when you're done serving.

I stay hot on his tracks through the Porsche curves and into the heavy braking zone for the Ford Chicane. So far so good. Only 4 laps to go.

Laps 2, 3, and 4 are basically all the same only with Soup in the lead instead of me. I don't want to pass him until Lap 5 Arnage if I can help it. We're building a 10+ second lead on 3rd so the race is, unless we screw up, between the two of us. He can draft and pass if I go too early.

THEN HE GETS A 1 SECOND PENALTY EXITING TETRE ROUGE ON LAP 4!!! I know, at this moment, that I'm winning this race unless I throw it away. Soup does too. But he does the needful and gasses it out of Tetre Rouge and pulls away because I washed wide with dirty air but slowed down. I know all I need to do is be within a second when he hits the penalty line. And I know I'm faster through Indianapolis AND Arnage. We're about even through Mulsanne so I need to step it up there as well.

By the time we hit the penalty line I'm .8 seconds behind. I have this in the bag. He's going to be slow through Porsche and I was already a second faster through the final sector than he had been.

At Tetre Rouge I have a 2.8 second lead. At Mulsanne Corner I have a 2.4 second lead. At Indianapolis I have a 3 second lead, and at the Line I have a 5.6 second lead.
My first Le Mans win!

Love the Viper, it's a great car. Slower than the Bugatti down Mulsanne but so much more controllable in the high speed and med speed corners, and better brakes too. Bugatti might be the qualifying meta b/c of the single car speed but I think the Viper might be the race meta. Not sure tbh. My DR is still B and my SR is now C (not sure how that's hanging on) but my lobbies are basically Vipers, Vettes, and a handful of Bugattis with the rare Mustang thrown in for funzies.

Now that the early part of the week is passed and people seem to have figured out how to bump draft and be fast around here it's a lot more fun than Monday was!

Anyways, thanks for the race Punishment Soup, hopefully we meet again!

For Indianapolis I lift for the right hand kink and as soon as I line up with the Curb on the right I hammer the brakes and start downshifting into 2nd like my life depends on it. By the time I hit the corner I'm doing about 70mph, turn left and hammer the throttle riding out to the right hand curb again, upshifting into 3rd and keeping it there until the brake point for Arnage. Sometimes I rev limit but it almost never actually matters.
The Viper is the race META. No question. It outruns the Veyron in all the critical sections and the Veyron’s braking and worse acceleration means it can’t defend effectively.

I am loving DR farming at Le Mans this week.

What?? Where else can you sip hot coffee while on a hot lap? Seriously, I was doing that yesterday.
🤣🤣 I’ve seen people stick the game on auto drive down the Mulsanne and chill out for 1 minute.

Nah, I beg to differ, I posted a pic of a victory in race C last night, it was raining at the start and I had the pole, by the end of lap one I was in 10th or 11th because of carnage, and slowly passed others as they had their troubles with rain. Mid 4th lap i was in second and P1 was 11 sec ahead but realizing he was on wets he would be slower and by middle of last lap passed him and kept on for the win. I hate to say this but not boring in the least...
I understand what your saying and I can see that this has the potential to be a great race, but so far in the 10/11/12 or so races that I’ve done, I’ve just not really enjoyed the racing that much. I did have a wet race which was crazy at the start. I started on inters, but everyone else dry. I was P1 by the end of the lap but then the track dried so had to box. Then I lost I slip stream to the others so I was just driving at the back.

I'm really loving Race C this week. Le Man's is one of those circuits where I am (fortunately) disproportionately fast on, a typical week for me is floating near the mid to top of group B with maybe a win at better tracks. But so far I've done seven races and won four, with the last two being clear wins with 20 seconds+ gaps.

It is a really nice change of pace, as I've got older and have less time to play I have been gradually moving backwards due to really just a lack of familiarization with the tracks, but as I literally only use to play Le Mans on GT5 and usually in the dark with long custom racers I finally have an edge. For reference I'm usually around 1.5% to 2.0% of the top overall qualification time, at the moment with little practice I'm only 0.5% off. I'm just trying to figure out whether to keep racing this week and up my ranking only to get destroyed next week, or to quit while I'm ahead.

Away from the races I have won easily, I've had loads of great, fair events with plenty of clean bump drafting and people making very sensible overtakes. I've yet to have a crazy weather event so maybe I'll keep racing in the hopes of seeing one! Credit to PD away from my obvious bias towards this track it is a really cool event.

The only Cali radio station I'm familiar with is KROC from back in the late 70's-80's playing punk and new wave.
KROQ. Listened to it all the time.
I've tried several times to set a lap at Laguna Seca and join a race. I've set a 1:24 or something like that, made it about half way through a race and binned it twice at the corkscrew.
The thing about Laguna is that during an actual race, you have to brake earlier, and turn earlier, and don't carry as much speed around some of the corners. It's quite a bit different from Q.
Turn 6 is just an absolute guess on my part most times. Sometimes I nail it and other times I pray I don't end up in the sand.
Try turning on the Driving Markers (in Assists, under "Driving Line Assists"). They make it easier to judge when brake and turn, especially on that corner. You don't necessarily brake exactly on the first one - that's up to you and your car, but the marker is bright and obvious, so it's much easier to nail it.

Using the 4C in Race C is not a great idea. :scared:
Screenshot_20230126_061243_YouTube.jpg

I think I'm going to quit trying in the daily races this week. I still haven't tried C and for B, I feel like I'm just getting worse. It does not help that for whatever reason my G29 keeps on randomly disconnecting on me; it happened three times last night. I thought I was beginning to like Laguna but I've changed my mind and I'm just not consistent. My best is still 1.24.006 but my current typical is anywhere from high 1.25s to 1:50 having played in the sand a lot.

I think I'm overthinking it. When I seemingly under drive the course I get my better times....

I'm still having issues adjusting to manual driving as well. I keep losing where my paddles are when turning the wheel as I tend to feed the wheel through my hands (that is how I was taught 35 years ago) and it is a hard habit to break. Side rant: paddle shifters should not turn with the wheel, they should remain fixed in place.

Last edited:
This is a story in 2 parts. (Go ahead and take the time to read it - what else are you gonna do? :) )

Part 1: "The Zone"

I love qualifying, at least when I get in "The Zone". At Laguna, I was at 1:22.314, and I was having trouble getting within a half second of that time.

All of a sudden, I found The Zone. I hit 21.999, and virtually every lap after that, although not quite that fast, was under my previous best time. Just lap after lap, hitting things great. Not perfect - I knew there was a lot of time I left on the track.

It was like the 22.314 time was a high school time, and now I'm in college. (Or something like that - that's the best analogy I could think of. I'm 66 and never went to college, so what do I know?)

The Zone. We've all been there, and it's one of the reasons we play this game (or any game, for that matter). It was awesome.

You know what's more awesome?

Part 2: Where did THAT come from?

I forgot I had entered a race while I was typing the initial version of this post. It went to the lobby, so I jumped back in my seat. I looked at my position, and it was P4. Cool. But my time was...

1:21.751! Almost a quarter of a second better than I thought my best time was.

I don't even know when I set it. I'm going to look at the recording right now...

Turns out (pun intended), on an otherwise uneventful lap, I picked up a half second on the last two turns:

Don't ask how the race turned out. Who cares, anyway? I picked up more than a half second in less than a half hour. I'll take it.

The Zone. The best feeling in the world. (Not really, but you know what I mean.)

Thanks for reading. :)

In the races, it says K Wells.
K. Wells in the house! :lol:

I cannot for the life of me consistently drive that veyron. Every other race the rear brake bias sends me into the spin cycle. Probably just too much trail braking, but I can't adapt whatever it is. The Viper angers me because if you lose a drafting partner you are screwed.

Using the 4C in Race C is not a great idea. :scared:
View attachment 1225789
LMAO, can confirm. It was either yesterday or the day before I absolutely blew by you like you were standing still. Followed shortly by yet another rear brake bias "incident"...lol.

@Leon Kowalski

You sick or something this week?! 🤣 I'm not happy with my time as I always go half a second faster than my current 1:21:4 at some point in the lap but then manage to crash... Every. Single. Time. And in different parts of the track too 🤣 Ace Corner "X" for 5 straight laps then crash horribly lap 6 then rinse and repeat 🤣🫣🍌

Attachments

• 185ee87bc2873-screenshotUrl.jpg
    185ee87bc2873-screenshotUrl.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 6
K. Wells in the house! :lol:

I cannot for the life of me consistently drive that veyron. Every other race the rear brake bias sends me into the spin cycle. Probably just too much trail braking, but I can't adapt whatever it is. The Viper angers me because if you lose a drafting partner you are screwed.

LMAO, can confirm. It was either yesterday or the day before I absolutely blew by you like you were standing still. Followed shortly by yet another rear brake bias "incident"...lol.
If I could get the Veyron to brake in a straight line while turning that'd be great. The Viper can do it which is why it's faster through basically everything that isn't Mulsanne. I lose the rear end of the Veyron into Mulsanne Corner and Indianapolis basically every time I try it.

I don't use the Veyron or Huracan in that race, because the lift-off oversteer is pain to deal with.
I got a couple of Le Mans wins yesterday. Once in the Corvette, and once in the Supra.
Both can eat up the Veyrons in the turns. I think Supra feels the best. Give it a shot. 👍

Thanks. Some of the assists do slow me down in spots, but I can't negotiate the start of the corkscrew without them on, especially during a race. I finally decided I'd rather lose the race due to time, than sand/gravel/grass.
Best thing you can do is try to pay attention to when the aids are kicking on and then trry and lear how to avoid them activating. Especially for tcs, i found this the best way to ween myself away from the digital assistance. Obviously tcs is the best example of this. I can still run tcs 1 on some gr3 cars without sacrificing noticeable pace. For example the moostang at Bathurst a couple weeks back

Last edited by a moderator:
Barrier penalties on Laguna is like giving someone 3 points for speeding after they've gone 100mph into a wall and died instantly! Dumb as ****! You've already lost half a day as the barrier is 4 miles from the track anyway and getting back to track takes you hours! Penalty system needs to be more intelligent

Seriously, it keeps putting my text into the msg i am trying to quote.

The curser is jumping all over the place as i try to type also, wth

I'll just stop trying i guess

Seriously, it keeps putting my text into the msg i am trying to quote.

The curser is jumping all over the place as i try to type also, wth

I'll just stop trying i guess
When was the last time you updated your phone?

Also try switching to (or from) BB Code:
1674749240910.png

When was the last time you updated your phone?

Also try switching to (or from) BB Code:
View attachment 1225799

Phone is up to date. I think it has to do with the adds, and i don't run an add blocker cuse I've not felt the need to. I don't really use my phone much for interneting.

Switching to the [ ] seems to have helped a bit though. Thanks man

Best thing you can do is try to pay attention to when the aids are kicking on and then trry and lear how to avoid them activating. Especially for tcs, i found this the best way to ween myself away from the digital assistance. Obviously tcs is the best example of this. I can still run tcs 1 on some gr3 cars without sacrificing noticeable pace. For example the moostang at Bathurst a couple weeks back
Thanks. Honestly, if turning off assists gains me some time, it doesn't really mean anything. I'll just end up in a different lobby, with people who are still better than me. There's always faster people. I'd rather enjoy my races than spin out because my foot spasmed or something like that.

And I think my times are generally pretty darn good, most of the time, for a mid-to-high B. I take a kind of perverse thrill in knowing I'm faster than a lot of people who don't use assists. [insert evil laugh here, while rubbing hands together]

PS: I appreciate the help - don't think I don't! I just figured I should respond without just brushing you off, since you were willing to help me. I hope that makes sense. This forum is full of incredibly kind and helpful people, and I always appreciate the help.

That's awesome Grumpy, I'm hoping to hit The Zone today. I did 50 miles Tuesday and landed a 23.030. Jumped on for a few laps this morning and pulled a 22.6 quickly.

I also using Racing Points assists. Blind Corner? What blind corner? No seriously, those giant yellow arrows help out so much!

Last edited:
I'm really loving Race C this week. Le Man's is one of those circuits where I am (fortunately) disproportionately fast on, a typical week for me is floating near the mid to top of group B with maybe a win at better tracks. But so far I've done seven races and won four, with the last two being clear wins with 20 seconds+ gaps.

It is a really nice change of pace, as I've got older and have less time to play I have been gradually moving backwards due to really just a lack of familiarization with the tracks, but as I literally only use to play Le Mans on GT5 and usually in the dark with long custom racers I finally have an edge. For reference I'm usually around 1.5% to 2.0% of the top overall qualification time, at the moment with little practice I'm only 0.5% off. I'm just trying to figure out whether to keep racing this week and up my ranking only to get destroyed next week, or to quit while I'm ahead.

Away from the races I have won easily, I've had loads of great, fair events with plenty of clean bump drafting and people making very sensible overtakes. I've yet to have a crazy weather event so maybe I'll keep racing in the hopes of seeing one! Credit to PD away from my obvious bias towards this track it is a really cool event.

Yep all those laps and casual obsession with the 24 hours a few years back pays off nicely when it pops up in a daily

That's awesome Grumpy, I'm hoping to hit The Zone today. I did 50 miles Tuesday and landed a 23.030. Jumped on for a few laps this morning and pulled a 22.6 quickly.
That's awesome! Let's find than Zone!!
I also using Racing Points assists. Blind Corner? What blind corner? No seriously, those giant yellow arrows help out so much!
Seriously! I use them like any other marker on the track. And the start of the corkscrew? There's a yellow arrow telling me exactly where I want to aim, coming over the hill. I'll take that help anytime!

That's awesome! Let's find than Zone!!

Seriously! I use them like any other marker on the track. And the start of the corkscrew? There's a yellow arrow telling me exactly where I want to aim, coming over the hill. I'll take that help anytime!
Probably the most important assist for me is the braking zone marker. I would be SR E without it.
Instead of multi-tasking, I get singularly focused on the other cars I'm racing, and lose track of when I'm supposed to brake. :banghead:
Having the reminder is huuuuge for me.

I'm not the least bit ashamed of using assists.
M.E.T.A. means Most Effective Tool Available. If the tools are effective, by all means, use them. 👍

Last edited:
Thanks. Honestly, if turning off assists gains me some time, it doesn't really mean anything. I'll just end up in a different lobby, with people who are still better than me. There's always faster people. I'd rather enjoy my races than spin out because my foot spasmed or something like that.

And I think my times are generally pretty darn good, most of the time, for a mid-to-high B. I take a kind of perverse thrill in knowing I'm faster than a lot of people who don't use assists. [insert evil laugh here, while rubbing hands together]

PS: I appreciate the help - don't think I don't! I just figured I should respond without just brushing you off, since you were willing to help me. I hope that makes sense. This forum is full of incredibly kind and helpful people, and I always appreciate the help.
no worries my man. absolutely nothing wrong with being happy with your pace. I just thought I would put it out there, as it was one of the things that helped me get faster/better. I'm no where near the fastest guy out there, but I want to be the best I can be. I don't often feel like I have much to offer here, so I jumped on the chance lol

I appreciate you making sure to respond, I wouldn't have assumed it a brush off anyway though as I've read enough of your posts to know your not like that :cheers: also that was the post I was having a hard time with on my phone, so I didn't know if it even went up.

also, like you said, this place is full of great people, many of whom helped me in the early days. I always appreciated that and try to return the favour anytime I can in any little way I can. :gtpflag:

Back