GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 34,710 comments
It's because you can skip gears with it, which gives an unfair advantage in a few situations. So they just omit it entirely rather than fixing the exploit. Which is about in character for PD.
Don't wheel drivers have a mechanical advantage over pad drivers though? Funny they'd limit sticks for this reason.

I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but it takes real skill to lose DR and SR in a race where they're both turned off 😅

GAoM0ibWsAAV9g0.jpg

I got disconnected from the race B before so the points loss is genuine it just made me laugh that it showed up after this race

Last edited:
Don't wheel drivers have a mechanical advantage over pad drivers though? Funny they'd limit sticks for this reason.
I thought this was a glitch in 'Sport that gave users an obvious advantage, though. It allowed the car to shift faster than it should giving people with a clutch/shifter an unfair advantage. That's the best I can remember from people talking about it, and that was well after the fact. This was distant history by the time I started playing 'Sport.

As to the difference/advantage of wheel -vs- controller, I'd assume there's only so much leveling of the field they can do. Controller drivers get a huge leg-up with the counter steer assist that you CAN'T turn off. You could argue they get an unfair benefit from that given that's why some people switch back to a controller for drift challenges.😁

IMHO, they've struck the best balance there is to be had with those peripherals.👍

:cheers:

I used to do 2nd to 5th occasionally
I may have done that too - it was a long time ago. :)

On another note - has PD changed the matching algorithm again? I haven’t played Sport in a few weeks now, but every lobby is a mixed A+, A, & B DR mix now. I had two YouTube streams going and all of us were in different lobbies with the same mix of driver ratings. Seems like the B/S and A/S drivers could’ve been paired together better.
I think there's just fewer people racing, so the pool to choose from is smaller.

Also better than the 1-2-1 money shift!

I used to do 2nd to 5th occasionally with the stock STi shifter. The Kartboy “Tallboy” solved that problem as it finds center better.

Done the 5 to 2 downshift once, but realized it as I was releasing the clutch. Quickly stabbed the clutch and only hit the limiter for a fraction of a second. I shift 6th directly to 4th coming into 1 and the bus stop at Daytona. Every once in a while I misjudge the speed and release the clutch a touch early. Usually just blips the limiter for a split second. These real life problems don’t exist in Gran Turismo!
I was at a driving school a whole lifetime ago. The school's cars were Acura RSX-S w/6 spd transmissions. I was going down the back straight in 3rd gear at at 8k rpm went to hit 4th, but went into 2nd on accident. I have no idea what the revs hit, but in the split second it took me to realize what happened I wouldn't be surprised if it was 11k as the tach needle went to ~5 o'clock position (if you're familiar with the gauge layout, that's super high as 9k rpms is at 3 o'clock)! Put the clutch in, waited for what seemed to be an eternity for the rpms to drop back down and was expecting a Christmas tree on the dash. But, thank the Deity that nothing happened. Put the car back in gear and went on driving the * out of it. 1,000 thank yous to Honda as that K series is one stout little motor!!!

You're lucky you hit the limiter. I am surprised that happened on a mis-shift, honestly. The limiter cuts fuel; over-reving on a mis-shift is pure mechanically driven... ie the engine isn't pushing the tires, the tires are pushing the engine, thus cutting fuel at the limiter rpm doesn't work.

Anyway, back on topic...

Did a couple more Daily Cs yesterday. The Acura is really fun and really planted. The Supra is fun, too. Unfortunately, not particularly competitive, but this is a fun little combo. Just let us use our own cars and it would be that much better (visually speaking)! We can do it on pre-tuned cars for TTs, why can't we do it in Sport Mode? I hope PD does more of these.

Does anything think that they have boosting on for race C? I know the draft is OP, but I am almost wondering if boost is on as well. I think the racing is so 'good' because of the draft (and maybe boost) is keeping so many cars together; it's very very difficult for one car to get away. Kinda like NASCAR but way better. I kinda doubt the boost is on but an argument can be made that the OP draft - right, wrong, or indifferent - is keeping the race more exciting.

Last edited:
I imagine based on my friends leaderboards most are doing the daily C this week. Haven't done a C yet (just about to) but a mid 2:03:5 puts me 8th on my leaderboard and 1200th overall where as on my daily B QT leader board I'm 4th but the races I did yesterday in B were real sweat challenges.

You're lucky you hit the limiter. I am surprised that happened on a mis-shift, honestly. The limiter cuts fuel; over-reving on a mis-shift is pure mechanically driven... ie the engine isn't pushing the tires, the tires are pushing the engine, thus cutting fuel at the limiter rpm doesn't work.
You are correct - the computer is trying to limit the rpm’s, but the mechanically driven over rev will overcome the computer and bring the rpm’s up to whatever is physically happening. That’s why a 1-2-1 money shift is always disastrous.

In Gran Turismo the game allows you to downshift and over rev the car. Another silly feature of the game. In real life the GT3 and GT4 cars won’t downshift unless the computer allows it. The car has to be at the correct speed to allow the downshift.

One time my wife (girlfriend at the time) took out a Vauxhall Tigra 1.6 on the dual carriage way (small freeway/highway) managed to accelerate from the slip road and go from 3rd at 70mph to first. The fact the car let her mechanically astounded me. We didn't buy that car...

But the crème de crème was putting her Volvo in park at 30mph coming up to a roundabout. Again I didn't think it was mechanically possible but apparently it is.

The reason I mention these machine destroying incidents is because it ties in to the TT and daily QT sometimes in abusing the gearbox/engine braking in a way you shouldn't be able to.

Couple it with crazy short shifting and it just feels a bit weird sometimes,

When I see things like 1st for rotation and short shift on exit, half the time it's just to game the engine rather than how you would gear a car or modulate acceleration.

Anyways enough rambling.

Daily C is the racing GT should have always given us.

Widen that car pool, I don't care if they tune them but this is a racing game not the hand me down group stuff.

I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but it takes real skill to lose DR and SR in a race where they're both turned off 😅

View attachment 1309404

I got disconnected from the race B before so the points loss is genuine it just made me laugh that it showed up after this race
Yes, that confused me at the beginning of the week, when a few races had people with red DR/SR 😆

You're getting some different matching to me in Race A - I'm a mid B DR, and am consistently being matched with A and A+ drivers ☹️

Had a couple of races where I was the only B in a room of A and A+......

Presumably not many people doing this race - every room this afternoon only had 10 or 11 people? Same people every race too, that's the disadvantage of no DR/SR updates I suppose.

Yes, that confused me at the beginning of the week, when a few races had people with red DR/SR 😆

You're getting some different matching to me in Race A - I'm a mid B DR, and am consistently being matched with A and A+ drivers ☹️

Had a couple of races where I was the only B in a room of A and A+......

Presumably not many people doing this race - every room this afternoon only had 10 or 11 people? Same people every race too, that's the disadvantage of no DR/SR updates I suppose.
This was late at night so the lobby was pretty thin but it did seem quieter than normal. I'm not sure many people would survive if SR was turned on 😂

I bet. Its such a little hooptie. Just looks like a little nightmare in the snow.

Like a pick up truck without a railroad tie.
I've had more great races than bad ones though, so can't complain! It's important to stay ahead of the mess if you can...

Quick question for those of you talented enough to be A+ - I'm curious, did your lobbies play any differently at all for the past week or so while the top top players were focusing on the world finals?

Quick question for those of you talented enough to be A+ - I'm curious, did your lobbies play any differently at all for the past week or so while the top top players were focusing on the world finals?
No, they're seldom ever in the dailies anyway.
In all my hours I've probably raced against a world finalist in a daily a single digit number of times.

In all my hours I've probably raced against a world finalist in a daily a single digit number of times.
Seeing your guys times I'd imagine you don't need to race much compared to me grinding out times to get to A+ but the time differentials are huge I'm nearly 1 second back from you peeps.

Seeing your guys times I'd imagine you don't need to race much compared to me grinding out times to get to A+ but the time differentials are huge I'm nearly 1 second back from you peeps.
You've put in some mega times mate, I've seen you do it. That Fuji Gr.4 one is a standout to me.

You see a few of them quite often in the daily races but usually on their alt accounts and starting at the back of the grid, some of their racecraft against the slower players can be less than ideal.

You're right though, in general there is a pretty big difference between top split dailies and top split GTWS.

Last edited:
That's a good thing... tons of DR up for grabs. Go get it! :cheers:
I think this is an important outlook. It may seem silly, but when I'm in a lobby like that, I literally tell myself it's an opportunity to make gains and prove myself as I get faster. It's really helped me maintain a positive attitude, and keeps the pressure/stress level lower.

I feel more pressure in a lobby where I'm the high ranked one and it drives my expectations of a good result up.

You see a few of them quite often in the daily races but usually on their alt accounts and starting at the back of the grid, some of their racecraft against the slower players can be less than ideal.

You're right though, in general there is a pretty big difference between top split dailies and top split GTWS.
Yeah I mainly do Race B so that's probably why I don't see them a bunch, though whenever I do it's always the same few anyway, not the whole shebang.

Last to firsters are a bit of a plague though, amen to that. B gets that too, but usually by streamers in the name of content instead :scared:

Nope. Like Nebuc said, very rare to come across a World Tour player. I can probably count the total on one hand. Last one I remember was Randell Haywood back with N24 was the Daily C. He was in the Lambo, started on pole, and drove off into the sunset.

One time my wife (girlfriend at the time) took out a Vauxhall Tigra 1.6 on the dual carriage way (small freeway/highway) managed to accelerate from the slip road and go from 3rd at 70mph to first. The fact the car let her mechanically astounded me. We didn't buy that car...

But the crème de crème was putting her Volvo in park at 30mph coming up to a roundabout. Again I didn't think it was mechanically possible but apparently it is.

The reason I mention these machine destroying incidents is because it ties in to the TT and daily QT sometimes in abusing the gearbox/engine braking in a way you shouldn't be able to.

Couple it with crazy short shifting and it just feels a bit weird sometimes,

When I see things like 1st for rotation and short shift on exit, half the time it's just to game the engine rather than how you would gear a car or modulate acceleration.

Anyways enough rambling.

Daily C is the racing GT should have always given us.

Widen that car pool, I don't care if they tune them but this is a racing game not the hand me down group stuff.
This is why God invented computer controlled automatic transmissions!

I’ve always wondered how realistic it is to use the gearbox to downshift for rotation? I assume you would not do that in modern race cars with paddle shifters?

Fwiw, I wish the h-pattern shifter was more realistic in GT. Like if you could actually stall it! Or you had to rev match on the downshifts! Bring on heel and toe!

Ps I agree, it’s cool to race the road cars in C this week (especially since the tuning is good; most road cars are terrible to drive in GT imho).

But I don’t understand why you say PD should do more of this b/c it’s ‘a racing game’? Irl, no one races M3s or LFAs or F40s (at least not the road cars). But they do regularly race the group 3 and 4 cars you refer to as hand me downs?

I agree the Gr4/3 racing gets tired. I’d prefer they allowed us to race, say, vintage F1 or Indy Cars. Or Trans Am (old or new).

But I don’t understand why you say PD should do more of this b/c it’s ‘a racing game’? Irl, no one races M3s or LFAs or F40s (at least not the road cars). But they do regularly race the group 3 and 4 cars you refer to as hand me downs?
I agree with you, I think it was just the more variety and slightly better BoP.

I like most people here love the GR3/4 cars but I'd love some more up to date machinery and also things like challenge cup races some support type races like the Clio cup or Porsche cup.

I’ve always wondered how realistic it is to use the gearbox to downshift for rotation?
Although I know people are doing this in GT for reason, I cant replicate it to the point where I see to make any improvements.
But then again, I dont know what exactly needs to be done to make the most (anything) out of this unique technique.

Coming into how realistic it is: null, physics dont care for the number on the selected gear, the only thing physics care about is friction between rubber and ground, air and body, and the vector the body is moving with be that accleration or braking.
Just changing the gear doesnt change any other variable as long as the intended speed is the same .
If you can take the angle at speed x in 1st, you can also do it in 2nd, though GT wants to tell you it wouldnt be possible or slower ;)

Although I know people are doing this in GT for reason, I cant replicate it to the point where I see to make any improvements.
But then again, I dont know what exactly needs to be done to make the most (anything) out of this unique technique.

Coming into how realistic it is: null, physics dont care for the number on the selected gear, the only thing physics care about is friction between rubber and ground, air and body, and the vector the body is moving with be that accleration or braking.
Just changing the gear doesnt change any other variable as long as the intended speed is the same .
If you can take the angle at speed x in 1st, you can also do it in 2nd, though GT wants to tell you it wouldnt be possible or slower ;)
It makes a difference even in real life. Remember, when you downshift, unless you match the throttle perfectly to the speed, the engine will act as a brake for the rear wheels until the engine's RPMs match the speed. Which is why it's easier to start spinning out when you downshift.

I hope that makes sense.

It makes a difference even in real life.
Well yes, that definitly is the case.
I was under the impression players are doing it differently in GT, downshifting BEFORE you unbalance the car simply to be in the lower gear. Maybe that is what I am doing wrong.

Anyway, without any experience on this topic I am sure you wouldnt do it in real life this way strictly to avoid unsettling the car this way, when other methods provide much more control.

Last edited:
18c440eae1f53-screenshotUrl.jpg

Absolute best race I've ever been in in this game. Accurate drivers with just enough spice. If I had ten more feet I would have been by the number 1. I got caught in corner 1 on lap 1 and fought my way back 6 places to nearly catch P1. I really really wish they'd turn on DR/SR although I'd probably never have anyone to race.

Anyway if any of you were in this race, nice work.

Back